Sep 18, 2003, 08:35
Warm Regards, Blue Sep 18, 2003, 08:35
Sep 18, 2003, 08:35

Hope your mom pulls through OK!

Re: Iron Storm Main Character
Jun 5, 2002, 11:15
Re: Iron Storm Main Character Jun 5, 2002, 11:15
Jun 5, 2002, 11:15

I admit I haven't read any other previews of the game, but the anti-hero part certainly didn't come out from the site. Other than wanting to know when he could live in peace (which seems, to me, a pretty typical wish for a soldier in a 40+ year long war), he just sounds like an old guy who didn't get the promotions he had coming to him who's taking orders from a young chippie and a psych-case who likes cool toys.

And I think Heller would have written something more profound.

It's not a major issue, the game itself sounds fun and I'm sure they won't have the main character stop to pop some advil and rub down with ben gay after a particularly tough firefight, so the oddities about his description have minimal impact. I just was struck by how funny it was as I was reading it. As long as he doesn't have a mid-life crisis DURING the game, then I'm fine with it. Hell, by the time the game comes out, he won't be all that much older than me.

Sith

Iron Storm Main Character
Jun 5, 2002, 10:29
Iron Storm Main Character Jun 5, 2002, 10:29
Jun 5, 2002, 10:29

Hey - did anybody check out the backstory on this game's main guy? First off, his name is Weasel, which doesn't exactly inspire feelings of courage and daring (maybe it means something more profound in French? I think that's the developer's native language). But more than that, he's OLD! He was born in 1924 and it's 1964 in the game. He's 40! He's spent 20 years as a 2nd Lieutenant in a wartime scenario despite commendations for bravery, etc. Maybe they're hoping Arnold or Sly will play him in the movie version!

Is it that hard to find a capable writer?

Sith

Delta Force Missions
May 22, 2002, 12:32
Delta Force Missions May 22, 2002, 12:32
May 22, 2002, 12:32

I wonder what other missions they'll include besides the one where the choppers get shot down. It would be great to be able to control the Apaches when they blast apart the conference room where all of Somalia's warlords are gathered to discuss how to help the US depose Mohammed Farah Aidid.

Actually, if you get a chance to watch the History Channel's documentary on the whole Operation Restore Hope thing, it does a great job of showing how our presence in Somalia displayed typical levels of mismanagement on the part of the military, cowardice from the Oval Office (after things went to hell), and heroism on the part of the ground forces/air support (though why they had to circle low enough to be hit by rpg fire - especially after the first copter went down - is beyond me. But I have no military training so I accept that there was probably a reason).

Just my $.02. It does sound like it might be a fun game.

Sith

What, me worry?
Mar 20, 2002, 11:04
What, me worry? Mar 20, 2002, 11:04
Mar 20, 2002, 11:04

Scary hell - this is the best winter we've had in central New York ever. I've cranked up the snowblower TWICE. Go global warming!

Re: The testers have been selected!
Feb 7, 2002, 23:04
Re: The testers have been selected! Feb 7, 2002, 23:04
Feb 7, 2002, 23:04

Are you kidding? 3 people out of all the Blue's News readers and you think that's high? That's high! (in the inebriated sense).

I suppose that Blizzard can take as long as they want to notify the beta testers, but I seriously doubt it takes more than a few hours to send out 5000 e-mails if they put their minds to it - spammers do 100 times that on a regular basis.

Rest assured, the e-mails really are out, the CDs really are on the way, and most likely you really are going to have to wait for a retail copy if you didn't get an e-mail. If it makes you feel any better, I prefer single-player and didn't realize this was battle.net only when I signed up. C'est la vie.

Re: The testers have been selected!
Feb 7, 2002, 08:55
Re: The testers have been selected! Feb 7, 2002, 08:55
Feb 7, 2002, 08:55

Re: is there a NDA on this?

The e-mail didn't specify, so we won't know until people start receiving the CDs. I'd guess they'd apply the same process they've used in prior beta tests, so anyone who participated on one of those might know.

Sith Lord

The testers have been selected!
Feb 6, 2002, 22:25
The testers have been selected! Feb 6, 2002, 22:25
Feb 6, 2002, 22:25

I just got my e-mail from Blizzard, so if you don't have a little treat in your inbox, you probably didn't make the cut.

Sith Lord

Re: sigh....
Jan 2, 2002, 10:18
Re: sigh.... Jan 2, 2002, 10:18
Jan 2, 2002, 10:18

>I am embarrassed to see that the majority of Blues readers can only reply to the VERY valid comments made by anon@24.48 in the form of personal insults.

I'm inclined to agree. I had generally assumed that a fair number of adult professional-types frequented this site, esp. since I've seen posts here from industry-insiders like Ken Hoekstra and others.

I'm not going to take the position that my opinion should by default mean anything to anyone, but I find anon@24.48's arguments to be very lucid and appropriate. I am disappointed that a respected site like Blue's took the step of posting this illicit software and I agree with those pundits who herald this as another step toward the loss of free internet content. If respected news sites don't play by the rules, who will?

Sith

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older