125 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Well
Oct 23, 2002, 18:32
zaq
Re: Well Oct 23, 2002, 18:32
Oct 23, 2002, 18:32
zaq

But that paper requires no cooling, and extremely Low voltage to function!!

state of the art baby!

Re: I've always wondered about the slown
Oct 22, 2002, 15:52
zaq
Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 15:52
Oct 22, 2002, 15:52
zaq

could you show me some concrete info on the supposed MySQL performance advantage over postgresql

Oct 22, 2002, 14:17
zaq
Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 14:17
Oct 22, 2002, 14:17
zaq

a good question snide,

A great first example, is that MySQL can't do transactions, and PostgreSQL can.

This is a basic feature in most commercial grade databases, and is very important for maintaining DB integrity. Do a search on "Database Transactions" to learn about them.

There are probably a few other features a long this line that postgresql has, and MySQL doesn't.

So Why is MySQL so widely used you asked?
Up until recently MySQL was the only FREE (GPL) database of it's kind available. PostgreSQL has been around for a long time, but it's only FREE as of not too long ago, so it isn't as widely used now because of that fact.

Performance wise it's a tough call.. and I can't give you an honest answer about which is faster, because I haven't tested it out. But I can tell you we get a fair amount of traffic (15 million hits a month on our main webserver), and so far we've had no performance problems.

--hope that clears things up

Oct 22, 2002, 13:21
zaq
Re: I've always wondered about the slown Oct 22, 2002, 13:21
Oct 22, 2002, 13:21
zaq

First of all we don't really do anything like bluesnews, or slashdot at my work. I work for a university , and I do a lot of in-house web-based apps for forms to be filled out that are searchable, some other tools for generating PDFs online, online telephone billing apps, management apps. Just to name a few.

We use linux systems running apache 1.3 and a postgreSQL database. (much more powerful than MySQL) We used to write our web apps in PHP, but are moving/moved to the java platform.

So now we are running Java using mod_caucho (Resin) for apache. And write most stuff in jsp/servlets/...

All HTML output is dynamically generated from java programs, and standard head/footer templates are all basic HTML in jsp files. eerrr if that makes any sense to you.

With that in mind.. we never had any performance problems like bluesnews. We probably don't get as many visits either.
Our modest webserver can handle about 500 requests/sec of straight HTML pages. On a page that runs java and makes a database call... that slows to about 100 requests/sec.

I've always wondered about the slowness
Oct 22, 2002, 11:20
zaq
I've always wondered about the slowness Oct 22, 2002, 11:20
Oct 22, 2002, 11:20
zaq

BLUE , I think I've noticed for at least a year now.. the sluggishness of the perl running whenever clicking "last two days", or certain links on the site.

The front page of course loads fast... which is NOT dynamically generated I guess? I'm very curious, could you give me some details about the hardware/software setup and the way the perl/database works together? I do this for a living.

125 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older