Total Posts
2373 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2373 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    119  ] Older

Re: On Sale
Jan 28, 2022, 01:14
Re: On Sale Jan 28, 2022, 01:14
Jan 28, 2022, 01:14

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 27, 2022, 21:28:
I don't have any coupons (didn't even use the one from Xmas).

Need to sign up for their emails to get the coupon (or if you already are, it takes a day or so sometimes to show up in your account).

I haven't really noticed even getting any emails from them, so there doesn't seem to be much, if any, of a spam concern with it. If you didn't use the coupons during their Xmas sale, though, I don't know if you will now either; the prices seem to be mostly the same as they were then...although if you're looking at something that comes out soon, you could use the coupon for that when it releases (like Dying Light 2, since the coupons are still good to the end of February I think). They don't work on preorders, but the sale goes through Feb 10th and you could still get the coupon to grab whatever you wanted when it released next month.

Re: GeForce RTX 3050 Reviews
Jan 26, 2022, 15:39
Re: GeForce RTX 3050 Reviews Jan 26, 2022, 15:39
Jan 26, 2022, 15:39

It gets more insulting when you see what some are actually charging for it. Newegg's first listing was a marketplace seller that priced the card at $699.

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Jan 23, 2022, 18:27
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 18:27
Jan 23, 2022, 18:27

My wife got me a Steelcase Gesture last year, and it's probably one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. It replaced another Steelcase chair that I got at a thrift store for $5 used about 15 years ago, and I got that one because it was exactly the same as the office chair I had at work at the time (at a call center, since the article uses that as a slam). I finally wore out an armrest after about 14 years, and replaced one of the wheels a while back for about $5.

The thing about those office chairs is that they're designed to last under heavy use, and to be comfortable for long periods of time. My wife bought her Steelcase from the business we worked at 22 years ago when they closed and laid us off, still uses it every day, and it still looks new.

Those gaudy gaming chairs are plastic gimmicky shit and don't last more than a year or two at most. Chairs are like shoes, you don't know what you're missing until you spend more and get some good ones that are well made and will actually last. You can usually find used office equipment somewhere at any given time, and those Herman Millers or Steelcases are just as good used...or worst case, just replace a part or two and they're good as new.

Re: More MS/Activision Deal Details
Jan 20, 2022, 17:11
Re: More MS/Activision Deal Details Jan 20, 2022, 17:11
Jan 20, 2022, 17:11

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 20, 2022, 10:43:
HOWEVER, there are reports that there's a clause in his contract that he gets $400 million if he is 'terminated without established clause'. But we don't know if that applies to this deal, or what back room deal may have been made.

I should probably clarify that I'm definitely not sticking up for the smarmy leprachaun, just trying to clarify that Acti/Blizz are the ones responsible for that kind of absurd compensation package for a guy who led them into being the horrifying workplace we know about now, rather than Microsoft rewarding him for it like the article makes it seem.

It's insane how his compensation from Activision/Blizzard was as high as it was in the first place, or that a massive government investigation into the workplace he was leading wouldn't necessarily constitute what was required to terminate him without that kind of payout. I'd be happy, or at least optimistic, if I was one of their employees after this past year or so, too. I hope it turns things around for them...and for us, too, I guess, since I'd like to be able to buy their games again if the company straightens their shit out.

Re: More MS/Activision Deal Details
Jan 20, 2022, 02:29
Re: More MS/Activision Deal Details Jan 20, 2022, 02:29
Jan 20, 2022, 02:29

The vast majority of his $390 million payout will come from the 3.95 million shares that he owns, according to securities filings. Since Kotick doesn’t own any unvested equities, he will not be entitled to a change of control payment.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but...isn't the headline complete bullshit made up to stir outrage clicks, then? He's not getting a payout as any part of this deal, he's exercising vested stock options that were part of his pay before the deal was made. At the current stock price 3.95 million shares is also about $324.5 million, not a $390 million that's based on a peak stock price from almost a year ago. There's a reason why the NY Post was once rated as the least credible news outlet in New York, I guess.

Re: NYT on NFT
Jan 15, 2022, 17:13
Re: NYT on NFT Jan 15, 2022, 17:13
Jan 15, 2022, 17:13

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2022, 16:58:
The NYT missed a major part of the story: gamers are already pissed off about crypto since miners have sucked up all the GPUs creating scarcity and driving up costs of gaming systems.

Yeah, that's the truth.

The past year has been terrible for PC gaming because of supply shortages and crypto miners, and now they want gamers to embrace it with no good explanation as to why there's any reason for us to want to. That's a pretty hard sell, especially when nobody really trusts gaming companies in the first place.

Re: Game Reviews
Jan 5, 2022, 14:46
Re: Game Reviews Jan 5, 2022, 14:46
Jan 5, 2022, 14:46

This has to be my favorite link to ever show up on the site. I haven't even read the article yet and I love it.

Re: Legacy Virtual Sales Soar
Dec 15, 2021, 03:45
Re: Legacy Virtual Sales Soar Dec 15, 2021, 03:45
Dec 15, 2021, 03:45

Xil wrote on Dec 14, 2021, 22:49:
Ooh and how long till star citizen will join this and you can buy planets and such ?

Star Citizen selling plots of virtual land

They've been selling plots of land for $50 for years now, apparently...that article is from 2017.

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Queue Compensation
Dec 6, 2021, 13:48
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Queue Compensation Dec 6, 2021, 13:48
Dec 6, 2021, 13:48

The queues are that bad and the expansion hasn't even actually launched yet?

Re: OotB: My Shot
Dec 4, 2021, 23:55
Re: OotB: My Shot Dec 4, 2021, 23:55
Dec 4, 2021, 23:55

WarPig wrote on Dec 4, 2021, 15:04:
My second Moderna shot made me sick as a dog, but the booster I had on Thursday didn't affect me much at all. Had a bit of a fever last night before bed but that was pretty much it.

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday, and while I'm still sick today it's waaay better than even the first shot was...the second one was straight hell, I felt like I had a severe case of the flu for two weeks, so I'm grateful that this doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as that one. I have Parkinson's, so I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to the effects as they tend to be felt a little more strongly than healthy people; even a tetanus booster I got was a little rough. I'd still take this over the effects of Covid any day.

It has made me a little curious if there would have been differences in after effects mixing vaccines for the booster shot, but they didn't really offer the option where I went to get it.

Re: etc.
Dec 4, 2021, 23:39
Re: etc. Dec 4, 2021, 23:39
Dec 4, 2021, 23:39

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 4, 2021, 12:46:
So what they are saying is the more match making creates unbalanced match ups the more toxic the community gets

It seems like a strange (or maybe incomplete) conclusion since some of the most toxic games I can think of have matchmaking systems specifically designed to filter skill levels, like League of Legends. With that game, and others using systems like it, it seems to me that the issue isn't mixing low and high skill players so much as making progression or rewards dependent on the success of others.

World of Warcraft's dungeon queues are full of toxic assholes, and it's often not even a matter of success or failure there as much as just time investment when it takes 15 minutes to finish a dungeon instead of 12. Most MMO's are the same, but then there's Guild Wars 2; it's one of the least toxic player bases I've ever played with, and you're still throwing low and high skill players together...it's just that rewards aren't really dependent on any success or failure resultant of that skill difference. In the few places where success does matter, like in Dragonstorm or many PvP scenarios, the game's just as toxic as any other.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Patch Tomorrow
Dec 2, 2021, 02:53
Re: Battlefield 2042 Patch Tomorrow Dec 2, 2021, 02:53
Dec 2, 2021, 02:53

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 00:20:
Ok so the XP works as a 1:1 your score at the end of the round is 10320 so you should get 10320, after X amount of time ya get less then half of that from the Cap. Also it stops you from being able to unlock weapons/attachments/badges etc. And I could see it as no problem with custom portal games ONLY. But it now effects everything, even playing solo against the bots. Also shouldn't be effecting games with DICE rulesets under Portal but they went full cap across the board and it sucks MAJOR ass.

It doesn't stop you from making progress on weapon unlocks, attachments, levels, or costumes. Like I said, it still works fine with Breakthrough and Conquest; I only play bots, and I'm level 31 or 32 with almost all the attachments unlocked for the weapons I have access to at that level and multiple skins unlocked on the operator that I play. Vehicles have been unlocking new gear at a regular pace based on kill count in that vehicle as well. They had it disabled with bots in those modes for a few days at launch, but it's been re-enabled and working fine for around a week now. I still get "xp is capped" at the end of every match, but I get XP for everything I did in the match and still get the daily bonus as well and can still make progress.

/edit: Ribbons work after the update now, too.

...although they broke mouse look with the patch, and you have to manually delete the settings folder under \\Documents\Battlefield 2042 to fix it...just unbelievable.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2021, 04:12.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Patch Tomorrow
Dec 1, 2021, 23:41
Re: Battlefield 2042 Patch Tomorrow Dec 1, 2021, 23:41
Dec 1, 2021, 23:41

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 23:05:
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck they are thinking with caps and other limitations in single player vs bots. I think there is also a cap vs kills for unlocks? Ridiculous, considering a lot of the upper unlocks are 800+ kills for a given weapon or vehicle. Hopefully they sort it out after they cut down on the straight XP farming servers in Portal, if that's what's bugging them.

The limits are only in Portal as far as I know, unlocks vs. bots have been re-enabled and working fine for about a week or so in normal Breakthrough and Conquest. I still get "XP is capped" after every match, but I've been gaining XP just fine along the way and have been unlocking weapons, upgrades, and even skins with kills as they should be.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Nov 23, 2021, 01:39
Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 23, 2021, 01:39
Nov 23, 2021, 01:39

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2021, 19:33:
So Ima go with "Yes?"

Why? That system's not worth $1400 in addition to the retail price of the card. I'd argue that a 3080ti isn't even worth the $1200 it retails for in the first place, much less scalper prices.

I know cards are hard to get, but people actually paying these stupid prices to get a hold of one has only made the problem worse. Just because you can point to Newegg scalping that card for the same price as the system doesn't mean either is actually worth what they're gouging people for, or that people should be paying it. Neither of those prices are good deals.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Released
Nov 19, 2021, 19:14
Re: Battlefield 2042 Released Nov 19, 2021, 19:14
Nov 19, 2021, 19:14

ExGemini wrote on Nov 19, 2021, 14:06:
Seems like you are making a tons of excuses here.

Oh, come on. Most of the list is either plain wrong or subjective in the first place. You can make a list of things that are actually wrong with the game (there's some good points in Half Elf's post just below, for example) without resorting to the bullshit lists like that person on Reddit put together just to make their complaint list seem longer.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Released
Nov 19, 2021, 13:40
Re: Battlefield 2042 Released Nov 19, 2021, 13:40
Nov 19, 2021, 13:40

theglaze wrote on Nov 19, 2021, 12:25:
Huge maps (too big for normal BF gameplay, even for 128 players)
Armor plates
Cannot switch/create squads
Silly long timing when you're downed with no visibility for medics, because initially it should be only your BR squad that can revive you
The + system for weapons, instead of ground loot attachments
No server browser, because you don't need one in BR
Lack of game modes
No hardcore
No propper factions
No scoreboard
No campaign

The maps aren't that big, so not sure about that complaint. They don't really seem any bigger than any other BF game I've played.
Armor Plates aren't that useful since you have to ditch any team-related gadget to have them (no med crate, ammo packs, anti armor weapon, etc.)
I'd be surprised if they didn't add squad switch, but squads in general work differently than before from what I understand.
You are visible to medics when you're downed, so I'm not sure I understand this one. Why should only squad members be able to heal/revive you?
The plus system is good in-game, it just sucks and is confusing in the menus when you're not.
There is a server browser in Portal, just not in Warzone.
It seems like there's more game modes than I'm used to in Battlefield, but other than a bit of BF5 I haven't played a lot of them. Conquest, Breakthrough, Hazard Zone, and then Portal has four more.

The last ones are kind of whatever. I doubt most people care about hardcore or if their team was called Sesame Street vs. Uptown Funk or something. No scoreboard is a little weird since it is keeping stats; it's probably an effort to stave off toxicity, but at least it should show your personal stats. I also doubt the vast majority of players care at all about whether there's a campaign or not.

There's some stuff that feels unfinished, like the C1 capture point in Kaleidoscope breakthrough being virtually impossible to take, but otherwise I'm not sure I get the uproar. Reddit's just a toxic shithole for most game subs, though, it's usually just some people being angry and then doing their best to make sure everyone else is too. If you're on the fence just wait because they usually go on sale pretty quick, but it's not as bad of a game as Reddit's trying to make it out to be.

Re: Back 4 Balance
Nov 14, 2021, 14:08
Re: Back 4 Balance Nov 14, 2021, 14:08
Nov 14, 2021, 14:08

jdreyer wrote on Nov 14, 2021, 12:37:
Everyone and their uncle owns L4D. Literally, I play with my nephew. B4B just came out.

L4D is also only on Steam, where B4B you can get elsewhere. I'd imagine there's a fair number of people playing it on Gamepass, for example, that don't even show up on the Steam stats for the game.

The game is kind of fun, but the level design is straight up bad a lot of the time. Some of the levels are basically broken with the current spawns since the last patch, hopefully they straighten things out soon.

Re: Activision Apologizes; Removes Quran from Call of Duty: Vanguard
Nov 11, 2021, 15:03
Re: Activision Apologizes; Removes Quran from Call of Duty: Vanguard Nov 11, 2021, 15:03
Nov 11, 2021, 15:03

Darks wrote on Nov 11, 2021, 14:34:
But I will not bend over backwards either for someone who gets offended over minor stupid crap. And giving in to these small groups as they have been doing the past few years is only empowering them to take it to the next step. That's what's go to stop.

Removing something that has no impact on the game whatsoever and you'd never miss it if it was gone isn't really bending over backwards for someone, it's just trying to show a base level of respect. It becomes doubly important to try and be inclusive when that content is in a game that's a jingoistic power fantasy already.

It doesn't hurt anyone in any way to remove it, and only helps make someone else feel like their opinions and lives were at least considered. It seems silly that some people see that as a bad thing when it really doesn't affect them in any way at all.

Re: Morning Interviews
Nov 3, 2021, 14:38
Re: Morning Interviews Nov 3, 2021, 14:38
Nov 3, 2021, 14:38

They've treated the whole thing like the hosts of a big pool party who handed out drinks, let their friends rape some girls upstairs and harass people, and then afterward decided that the cause of it all was the girls in bikinis.

Hassikostas is like the human personification of the meaning of "tone deaf" though, so I don't expect anything different from him.

Re: Oneal's Departure Hits Blizzard Morale: Report
Nov 3, 2021, 14:29
Re: Oneal's Departure Hits Blizzard Morale: Report Nov 3, 2021, 14:29
Nov 3, 2021, 14:29

Carcifier wrote on Nov 3, 2021, 12:55:
Think about that. Yeah, no, the games you're thinking about weren't good. They were released, but not good. Overwatch was the last game I bought and I regret buying that.

Overwatch was good, whether you liked the game or not. They need to get their shit together, but I don't think you just get to skip any title that hurts the narrative you want to build.
2373 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    119  ] Older