Total Posts
2335 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2335 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    117  ] Older

Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XXX
May 27, 2021, 16:33
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XXX May 27, 2021, 16:33
May 27, 2021, 16:33

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2021, 12:15:
I don't see the majority of customers leaving the app store to go to another place to buy their coins, skins, loot boxes etc.
Most consumers don't care about the stores cut, they are out for convenience and price.

They should have the option if they want to, though.

I don't personally see any reason at all why I shouldn't be able to use any internet capable device to go somewhere else and make a purchase independent of the device's native ecosystem. It makes no sense to me why Apple or anyone else should get 30%, or whatever their cut is, of any sales made through an app that they do no development or maintenance on themselves because that app can be only obtained via their store by their own requirement.

Re: Morning Mobilization
May 12, 2021, 12:52
Re: Morning Mobilization May 12, 2021, 12:52
May 12, 2021, 12:52

The headline is misleading since the linked article is talking about skewed listings on Userbenchmark, rather than actual benchmarks that show that sort of performance difference. I guess like most things that become infamous on the internet, Userbenchmark is managing to still get their message across by having their outlandish results repeated elsewhere when they're better off ignored.

Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part VII
May 8, 2021, 00:53
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part VII May 8, 2021, 00:53
May 8, 2021, 00:53

He's not wrong, though, considering they've hosted things like Travis Scott's concert in Fortnite and attracted 12 million+ people to it. I don't know of another game that has managed anything like that.

I'm also not sure how the line of questioning about itch.io access via Epic helps Apple prove they aren't a monopoly, either, though, since the answer to their sexual content question just further illustrates how decisions on Apple's platform are all made by Apple and not their users. The judge's concerns about what happens if Epic wins and it affects Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation's stores is a bit silly, too, since opening those stores to competition wouldn't be a bad thing for consumers, either.

Re: Only 30K Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds Issued
Apr 23, 2021, 02:43
Re: Only 30K Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds Issued Apr 23, 2021, 02:43
Apr 23, 2021, 02:43

jamiedj99 wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 22:36:
this is meant to not look as bad I want to know the real number of refunds across all total i finished the game in the time and got a refund in the end there no reason to go back to that garbage.

You shouldn't have gotten a refund at all if you finished the game considering it takes dozens of hours to do that, and I don't know why you would have even spent that much time on it at all if it was "garbage" in the first place.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Mar 31, 2021, 17:30
Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 31, 2021, 17:30
Mar 31, 2021, 17:30

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 31, 2021, 17:19:
Being 'first' to own a digital copy is the definition of meaningless, yet people somehow think it has value, and entirely too many people now want to literally get rich quick selling such bullshit.

If you're a grifter it's really an ingenious scam; you can sell and assign a value to practically anything on the internet, often whether you even actually own it or not. Mix it with bitcoin and/or blockchain and now you have an extremely technical scam, like the perfect pyramid scheme since the only person who can even explain what it is that you're buying are the people selling it (and often not even then).

It's literally a blockchain bridge between a seller and content you supposedly own, and there's lots of people lining up to sell those bridges to the idiots who are buying them.

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 12, 2021, 13:53
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2021, 13:53
Mar 12, 2021, 13:53

the government is now saying everyone should be able to get a shot by May 1st.

Just everyone is eligible to get the shot as of May 1st; that's when general admissions are supposed to open up by, basically, not that we'll have a shot by then. Still good news, though, and I'm hoping that means an appointment for folks like us sometime in May.

Link with all the info

Re: Morning Patches
Mar 1, 2021, 15:52
Re: Morning Patches Mar 1, 2021, 15:52
Mar 1, 2021, 15:52

A texture mod for WoW sounds like a good way to get banned.

Re: Court: Steam Must Provide Apple with Some Per-App Data
Feb 26, 2021, 19:10
Re: Court: Steam Must Provide Apple with Some Per-App Data Feb 26, 2021, 19:10
Feb 26, 2021, 19:10

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 26, 2021, 12:34:
Steam is the gold standard for gaming, so the data would be pretty relevant here.

Steam is the gold standard for gaming on PC. I'm not entirely sure what that would have to do with the suit between Epic and Apple since it's about mobile gaming sales, where Valve doesn't even have a presence as far as I know.

Re: Op Ed
Jan 22, 2021, 20:17
Re: Op Ed Jan 22, 2021, 20:17
Jan 22, 2021, 20:17

I'm not getting why this is bad for gamers. The only reason the author even really lists is because they might not get a game they probably weren't making anyway, and the only thing the team worked on before was a couple of one-off remasters. I guess I'm not under the impression that a couple of good new games (if that's even what they're working on, since there's baseless speculation there too) isn't a better thing than another niche remaster that they may or may not have ever even done.

Re: Evening Consolidation
Jan 14, 2021, 02:37
Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 14, 2021, 02:37
Jan 14, 2021, 02:37

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 13, 2021, 23:07:
Intelligence? Postal workers? Many are, not the majority hired in the xmas rush though.

If they're going to touch mail at all then they have to pass the same requirements and go to the same training, even the temps who are only there for a few weeks.

That said, I don't know why anyone would think postal workers need to be smarter than average. The only "tests" that are part of getting hired are basic behavioral exams and a background check that they half ass. The vast majority are good folks, but there's always that one person who causes problems at any job, for the number of people the postal service employs it's sort of amazing that reports like this stand out as much as they do. Part of is that the Postal Inspection Service doesn't screw around; you do stuff like this and you are going to get caught, and you're going to be completely boned when you are.

Re: Free Cyberpunk 2077 DLC Nears
Jan 1, 2021, 14:57
Re: Free Cyberpunk 2077 DLC Nears Jan 1, 2021, 14:57
Jan 1, 2021, 14:57

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 1, 2021, 07:07:
The farther I get in the game the more bugs I encounter. Weapons I pick up are being auto equipped, getting stuck in hacking mode or crouched, missing elements from missions, unable to directly message contacts, and the Nvidia Cyberpunk drivers that fubar GSYNC and Dual Monitors with a 1080ti.

Weapons auto equip with a certain key when you pick them up, it's easy to do it accidentally (I think it's F to pick them up, hold F to equip or something, I forget). You can get stuck in crouch because of people talking and the skip dialog being on the same crouch toggle key, it's just a key binding issue; crouch toggle on C and crouch(hold) on l-ctrl you can sort of work around it by hitting the l-ctrl to break crouch while someone is talking, it can just be annoying. Messaging contacts directly is just pressing T to call them, then Tab to message them, but it's mission context sensitive. As for the drivers thing, that sucks but that's not really the game's fault. I haven't seen any missing elements from missions so not sure what you ran into there.

You can unequip gear with the middle mouse button. Cops won't aggro you if your guns aren't out and you stay a bit back from a crime scene; Trauma Team will fuck you up if you fart on the same block they're on sometimes, though, but they aren't common to run into at least. I think Kerry is the only gay romance option in the game if you're a male character (Judy if you're female); I think people expected the Bioware anyone goes option, but I don't think they'll change it unless they add more later.

Re: Two Cyberpunk 2077 Lawsuits
Dec 25, 2020, 22:03
Re: Two Cyberpunk 2077 Lawsuits Dec 25, 2020, 22:03
Dec 25, 2020, 22:03

Armengar wrote on Dec 25, 2020, 13:54:
Do these have any chance of success if a refund was offered? Is this purely aimed at investors? If so, why would investors potentially harm their investment further?

I'd wonder more what kind of sales targets they were expecting to hit. Considering they broke even on day one with the game and have sold another 5+ million copies since it has to be a little more difficult to argue that investors are due recompense for what has been a successful product only based on a stock dip and some bad press. 13 million copies sold already puts it around #7 of the best selling new IP's of all time even after two weeks on the market, if they feel like they didn't get their investment worth then maybe it's their expectations that were the problem.

Re: Op Ed
Dec 20, 2020, 20:10
Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2020, 20:10
Dec 20, 2020, 20:10

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2020, 17:28:
They released a game on consoles, charging $60, that is in an unplayable state.

How do so many of you overlook that?

Because virtually no one that posts on this site is even playing the console version? Practically everyone that ever posts here is a PC gamer. For all the bullshit in the gaming press and Reddit you'd think PC gamers don't exist, even though the majority of the copies sold for the game were for PC to begin with.

For all the bullshit surrounding it, there's 500,000+ concurrent players on Steam playing it all the time and, in my opinion at least, the game's pretty damn great. It has the occasional bug or issue that needs to be worked out, but I still haven't had any major issues after playing way, way too much of it. Yeah, it sucks for console users that they're having issues, but it shouldn't be as impossible as it is for PC gamers to even get to talk about the game without all the hand wringing and crying or just getting treated like shit like you do on Reddit if you so much as mention that you actually like the game.

Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
Dec 9, 2020, 19:32
Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Dec 9, 2020, 19:32
Dec 9, 2020, 19:32

MrBone wrote on Dec 9, 2020, 17:36:
If you run VR and use the 3x series...beware.
The have some crazy bug(s) with the drivers which lead to frame drops with the latest drivers.

I've seen people reporting issues, but I really haven't noticed them myself. Can try this fix that someone posted on Reddit for issues they were having with a Reverb G2; it does seem to help to disable pre-allocated virtual monitors in Win10 via a registry switch.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later
Nov 22, 2020, 14:53
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting AMD Ray Tracing Support Later Nov 22, 2020, 14:53
Nov 22, 2020, 14:53

1badmf wrote on Nov 22, 2020, 06:17:
if ray tracing is the goal then stay away from AMD this gen. this is their first attempt at raytracing hardware and it shows. in benchmarks that i've seen it 2x to 3x slower than comparable nvidia. if you can live without RT then AMD is a good deal - $50ish bux cheaper like for like for comparable performance. might be a driver thing, but i doubt a driver fix could improve performance by 100 to 200%

It's not just raytracing, though, there's also DLSS. Once DLSS is involved, Nvidia's cards are getting close to double the framerates of comparable AMD cards right now, too. So it's not just RTX with Cyberpunk; it's also the performance increases of DLSS, and if things hold out to be the same for the game as they have for other titles that were tested the performance difference between AMD and Nvidia is gigantic in Nvidia's favor.

AMD's a solid competitor with no raytracing and no DLSS. But RT is getting more common, and DLSS isn't rare with big titles, either.

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Nov 9, 2020, 01:36
Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 9, 2020, 01:36
Nov 9, 2020, 01:36

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2020, 17:47:
Can you provide me a single example of Twitter and Facebook being biased?

Mark Zuckerberg reportedly signed off on a Facebook algorithm change that throttled traffic to progressive news sites — and one site says that quiet change cost it $400,000 to $600,000 a year

Facebook reportedly skirted its own rules to protect conservatives from disciplinary measures

Facebook serves as an echo chamber, especially for conservatives. Blame its algorithm.

But when we analyzed the average partisan slant of each user’s news site visits, we found a surprising pattern. Facebook and Reddit shape the news consumption of their conservative users in dramatically different ways. In months when a typical conservative visited Facebook more than usual, they read news that was about 30 percent more conservative than the online news they usually read. In contrast, during months when a typical conservative used Reddit more than usual, they read news that was far less conservative — about 50 percent more moderate than what they typically read.

There's more, but that gives a general idea.

Re: AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Announced
Oct 28, 2020, 17:57
Re: AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Announced Oct 28, 2020, 17:57
Oct 28, 2020, 17:57

Dev wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 16:51:
TheJedi wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 15:53:
And as far as diss tech there has to be quality games that take serious advantage and enough of those games out for anyone to worry about.
dlss But anyway, sounds like AMD will have a different DLSS tech? So games will have to have updates to support both? Hopefully that will be easy to do.
And I'm seeing predictions that AMD DLSS will be the main one going forward because it's the same tech on consoles.

AMD has FidelityFX CAS, but they didn't highlight it at all in today's announcement, and you can bet that they would have if it had any of the hype to it that DLSS does. FidelityFX doesn't actually require an AMD card, though, so if it does turn into something worthwhile it'll be good for everyone.

DLSS is already making a pretty good difference in games that have it. Avengers shipped with FidelityFX and just added DLSS, and DLSS adds 20-25% performance to the game while FidelityFX does pretty much nothing. Cyberpunk 2077 will support DLSS, Mechwarrior V does already (and is far better with it enabled), Control uses DLSS extremely well, the Call of Duty games and Fortnite use it, Metro Exodus uses it, Monster Hunter World, Tomb Raider, and so on. DLSS has good games for it already and more on the way, including the biggest game coming out if it ever stops getting delayed.

Re: AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Announced
Oct 28, 2020, 15:20
Re: AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Announced Oct 28, 2020, 15:20
Oct 28, 2020, 15:20

wtf_man wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 15:08:
6800 18% faster than (RTX 2080Ti or 3070-ish) @ $180 more

So, the non-XT 6800 needs some pricing help. $180 more for 18% is kind of steep.

It's only $80 more than the 3070. The performance metrics they listed put it a bit above the 3070, though, so it might actually not be a bad choice at that price point, and it does have more VRAM.

The other cards, hard to say. The 6900 XT looks like a good deal compared to the 3090 strictly as a gaming card, the 6800XT is a bit harder of a sell. All their benchmarks listed showed driver OC and Smart Access, that you're only getting on a 5000 series CPU; if their benchmarks on the 5k CPU's are actually better for gaming as they showed in their release earlier this month, a lot of the performance difference we're seeing on these benchmarks they showed today could be because of the CPU used to test vs. the benchmarks they used that were released by Nvidia. It makes it hard to take the charts they showed today seriously when the benchmark systems aren't comparable and it's using technology that no one in the consumer market even has or has access to today.

All in all, wait for the actual reviews of the cards later because what was shown in the presentation should probably be taken with a grain of salt. The 3080/3090 could see increases if they were benched on the AMD 5k CPU's too, and should probably be compared with a similar simple OC if that's going to be used at all (and that's if the driver auto-OC's are even consistent across different cards of the same release in the 6800/6900's).

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 20, 2020, 20:16
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 20, 2020, 20:16
Oct 20, 2020, 20:16

It is both kind of funny and a little disturbing that the BBC article was more concerned that the app didn't work very well when making the naked pictures than it really was about the privacy and ethical ramifications of the software.

Re: RTX 3090 Launches Thursday
Sep 29, 2020, 14:05
Re: RTX 3090 Launches Thursday Sep 29, 2020, 14:05
Sep 29, 2020, 14:05

The launch was last Thursday (the story linked is from the 23rd). The RTX 3090's are already theoretically on sale.
2335 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    117  ] Older