Total Posts
2443 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2443 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    123  ] Older

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sells 20M
Sep 28, 2022, 22:48
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sells 20M Sep 28, 2022, 22:48
Sep 28, 2022, 22:48

wrlwnd wrote on Sep 28, 2022, 21:53:
I just don't see me buying this.

They screwed it up so much initially. Just turns me off even now.

Only if your expectations were wild to begin with. It was a good game at launch, and the QOL improvements from the patches have made it better. Unless you bought the PS4 version, the internet rage the game generated was never deserved in the first place as far as I'm concerned.

There's a certain element to the gaming community that loves the hype and buying games more than actually playing them, and with how insane those guys got worked up pre-release they were never going to be happy no matter what actually hit when it launched.

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Sep 27, 2022, 01:35
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2022, 01:35
Sep 27, 2022, 01:35

Cenotaph wrote on Sep 27, 2022, 00:37:
highly unlikely considering the type of leaks he has become a risk for the established power.

It doesn't really matter what I think about what he revealed, and it doesn't even have much to do with power. You can't pardon leaking classified information, or the entire system around keeping it classified is compromised. Just by its nature, it has to be kept as a "you do this, and you're fucked" kind of scenario; it's the fear of what happens should you break those rules that makes security clearances work, and anyone that's had one knows that they don't screw around in instilling that fear into anyone that gets one.

The only case of it I know of is Clinton's outgoing pardon of Samuel Morison, a Navy intelligence analyst who leaked information to the media and the only person ever convicted for doing so (at the time, at least), and there was a pretty big stink about it back when he did it.

Re: Ultima Online Turns 25
Sep 25, 2022, 22:21
Re: Ultima Online Turns 25 Sep 25, 2022, 22:21
Sep 25, 2022, 22:21

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 25, 2022, 18:33:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 25, 2022, 14:20:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2022, 14:17:
It feels like I missed out.

You really didn't, despite what people looking back with rose colored glasses will tell you.
Angry inside because you missed it?

The game was expensive at the time, had a monthly fee attached to it, and I still think that it's the worst money I've ever spent on a video game in my life. I still regret ever buying it. I wish that I had missed it, there isn't a single game I've ever played that I hate as much as UO.

I still love MMO's and have been playing them since UO, and I still remember how excited I was for UO's release. I'd joined a guild of people, we were on a forum and planned everything, and the game finally came out and we got started. I got a bit of gear, stepped out of the gates of town, and was immediately killed by a group of people waiting for anyone who ventured out. I realized when they stole my hard earned gear that a couple of them were in my guild.

I stole a few people's boats and sailed around a bit afterward, tried doing a few things, but never got anywhere because the instant I did I'd just get PK'd and lose everything. My older brother tried the game at the same time as me, was killed by a bluebird or something ridiculous on his first venture out, and we never played again.

And I'd disagree with Raph that UO had that much influence on anything. It was a persistent online game, but it drew most of its ideas from past Ultima titles and wasn't even a good Ultima game. I guess it was more interesting as a social experiment than it ever was at being video game or fun to play, though, and that's generally all Raph has ever been interested in anyway.

Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks
Sep 18, 2022, 20:20
Re: GTA6 Footage Leaks Sep 18, 2022, 20:20
Sep 18, 2022, 20:20

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 19:35:
From a revenue standpoint I'm doubting this will have any significant effect. Mostly it's more of an embarrassment for Rockstar. I just wonder is it really worth it. I don't think Rockstar is going to pull any punches when this guy is found, and courts are going to favor big companies heavily. He'll probably get a harsher punishment than some people who have killed people.

If he leaks the GTA5 source code, it'll spawn hacks and be a gigantic mess for Rockstar and anyone still playing the game. I mean, more hacks than they already have, I guess.

The guy claims to be the person behind the Uber hack that just happened recently, too. He deserves a cell and a long time away from ever using computers again.

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Sep 5, 2022, 03:22
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 5, 2022, 03:22
Sep 5, 2022, 03:22

Razumen wrote on Sep 4, 2022, 23:05:
Funny, reading a lot of the negative reviews they actually bring up well explained and sensible criticisms. There's someone having kneejerk reactions here, and it isn't them.

I've only seen the Reddit threads on it on r/television, and going by the posts there RedEye9's assessment is pretty much spot on. I don't think I'd agree that I've seen more than a handful of well explained or sensible criticisms, and most of what I read weren't well-intentioned critiques from the start. Maybe it just depends on if someone's actually looking for useful criticism or reviews, or just other people to join in on being angry with.

It's all kind of pointless anyway. If you hear "Lord of the Rings" TV show and you don't know if that's something that would appeal to you enough to go and form your own opinion, you probably need more help than any internet echo chamber can provide in the first place. Nobody's looking for criticism of it with reviews right now, they're just looking to reinforce their own opinions.

Re: Steam Top 10
Sep 5, 2022, 03:07
Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 5, 2022, 03:07
Sep 5, 2022, 03:07

heroin wrote on Sep 4, 2022, 18:42:
I was playing some Destiny 2 as a warlock and wow, Bungie just doesn't give a flying F about keyboard and mouse players, lol. I've never died so much by stupid console platforming in my entire life. DOOM Eternal is probably second but I probably died over 100 times in about the span of 7 hours playing Destiny 2 (due to warlock jump/float/fails). Think I'll have to switch to controller or switch classes it's that bad.

It's not really any different with a controller. Warlock jump just takes some getting used to, some timing, and a good understanding of how it applies your inertia to the glide. Basically, it just applies your glide as constant forward motion in the direction you were moving when you hit the jump key for the second time; jump to get airborne, jump again when you're moving toward where you want to go. If you need to get lift, you need to be sure to hit the glide again before you've hit the apex of your first jump.

Titan jump works more like you have a jetpack, applying thrust and lift rather than just briefly continuing your momentum, and Hunter's jump (to me, at least) is easier than either of them since it's just a typical double or triple-jump. If you really don't like Warlock jump, don't force it and try one of the other classes and you'll enjoy the game more...I doubt a controller will make much of a difference, unless you're just that much more comfortable with it all around.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 2, 2022, 21:11
Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 2, 2022, 21:11
Sep 2, 2022, 21:11

Blockenstein wrote on Sep 2, 2022, 19:57:
What is even the point of this sort of review bombing? I don't really follow internet politics so I genuinely have no clue why an entire group of people would come together just to crap all over a Lord of the Rings show. What am I missing?

As far as I can tell from reading some posts on r/television on Reddit and checking post histories a few people didn't like it, but quite a few people are mad because it has black people in it while insisting that anyone who suggests that racism is part of why it is getting review bombed is just covering for a bad show. 80% of the posters I checked had made some kind of racist or MAGA statement in the weeks prior, but get really pissed when anyone suggests there might be racism involved in the review bombing. It's just the usual shit, really.

Show seemed pretty decent to me, but I've only watched one episode of it. The pace is pretty slow in the first episode, but it's Lord of the Rings so that wasn't exactly unexpected. Besides, they're doing bits from the Silmarillion, that's like adapting the Encyclopedia Brittanica into a fantasy TV show...given the source material they did a pretty good job of it, I think.

/edit for clarity.

Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Confirmed
Sep 1, 2022, 22:33
Re: Assassin's Creed Mirage Confirmed Sep 1, 2022, 22:33
Sep 1, 2022, 22:33

People seem excited about this from comments I've read, but to me they're just hyping up the removal of the only reasons I even bought the last three AC games they made.

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Aug 31, 2022, 18:50
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2022, 18:50
Aug 31, 2022, 18:50

I bet he only serves 10,000 years, at most.

Re: Game Crossovers
Aug 26, 2022, 23:03
Re: Game Crossovers Aug 26, 2022, 23:03
Aug 26, 2022, 23:03

Mullenkamp wrote on Aug 26, 2022, 22:21:
You must have set your expectations to the level of the Mariana Trench then...

I mean, it is a pretty terrible show, but it really wasn't any worse than the movies and people seem to like those for some reason.

Re: Saints Row Reviews
Aug 22, 2022, 22:28
Re: Saints Row Reviews Aug 22, 2022, 22:28
Aug 22, 2022, 22:28

Hardline Mike wrote on Aug 22, 2022, 18:27:
The thing that seems to run through all the reviews consistently is that its poorly written, buggy, and the gameplay and design are 3 generations out of date. It really is a shame, but I guess it'll be free on EGS eventually.

The written reviews don't do those bug complaints justice the way that the video reviews do. There were a few that showed just what they meant by buggy, and it wasn't just minor glitchy stuff where someone would just say "it's kinda buggy" and keep playing...it was the serious game breaking looks-like-it's-still-an-alpha level of bugs.

It was also pretty apparent that they just lifted certain things directly from the old SR games, probably because of budget or development time issues. The grenade toss animation is the same weird half-hop overhand toss from SR3 that had to have been just ported from the old title to this one, for example. It was always a clunky overblown animation and there would be no other reason to reuse it rather than replace it in a game that was really a reboot.

I'd really recommend watching some of the video reviews for anyone that's still somehow on the fence after the print reviews. I'm guessing there's some behind the scenes horror stories involved in the development of this game.

Re: Steam Guild Wars 2 Next Week
Aug 17, 2022, 19:59
Re: Steam Guild Wars 2 Next Week Aug 17, 2022, 19:59
Aug 17, 2022, 19:59

Jonjonz wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 06:53:
The GW2 "community" is the most cult like MMORPG community there is. Anything other than the current Arenanet party line is shouted down and vilified.

Well, if you go into something with that kind of attitude you should probably expect the other people you interact with to not like you much for it. It's pretty well regarded as being one of the nicest and most welcoming communities you'll find in any game with anywhere near that many people in it.

Jonjonz wrote on Aug 17, 2022, 06:53:
It's a pretty workman grade MMORPG, all the usual bullet points, the graphics are nice, but the control schemes are a bit wonky, there are some insane long tedious grindy quest lines (camouflaged as multiple linked but uniquely named "achievements", "collections", and quests), open world PVE is the home of dogpile cooperation, and group PVP and progressive dungeons the home of "every one stack in one spot" and burn down the boss with the exact same attack rotations.

The idea that listing a 10 year old game on Steam is going to significantly add new players or help maintain the current population is precious.

The controls are the same WASD tab-target that you'd get if you play World of Warcraft.

The only long questline that everyone is going to do is the one for a flying Skyscale mount. It is pretty long and tedious, but it's also worth the trouble. The only other long tedious questlines in the entire game are those to get legendary weapons and armor. If you want to do those, fine, if you don't, you don't have to...there's nothing that presses you do them.

The rest is like complaining that all you do is run around and shoot people in Call of Duty. I mean, yeah, but... that's kind of what you signed up for, and people tend to enjoy anyway.

Re: Steam Guild Wars 2 Next Week
Aug 16, 2022, 21:17
Re: Steam Guild Wars 2 Next Week Aug 16, 2022, 21:17
Aug 16, 2022, 21:17

GinRummy wrote on Aug 16, 2022, 14:58:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the impression that Guild Wars was focused mostly on PVP play? I that still the case? Is there a good game to be had for someone soloing any pve content? Is that just until the endgame?

GW2 is my most played game in the past two years by...a lot, and I think I can count the number of hours that I've played PvP on one hand. I don't even know if its PvP is good or not, honestly, and I'm pretty sure I have thousands of hours into the game at this point.

I play almost entirely solo. My wife plays, too, but it's a strangely awkward game to play co-op outside of instanced content since you're actually better off playing solo due to being able to navigate the world and events at your own pace. The only thing that requires raiding or high-end group content is getting Legendary gear, which gives no stat advantage over anything you can get solo; it's just cosmetic, and with the quality of life boost that comes with it being immediately available account-wide (other non-legendary high end "ascended" gear is also account wide, but you have to transfer it with your bank). Legendary gear is nice, but I do just fine without it since I have no interest in ever raiding in any MMO ever again...and stat-wise, I have no disadvantage compared to the people that do have legendaries.

GW2 is a little unique on that front in another way, though; even though I do play solo, I would say that the majority of what I do is with other people there. I play open world content 99% of the time, doing world bosses and festivals and other events, and even though I don't join a group or a guild to do anything I'm often playing a support class to help people around me. It's a little disorienting when you're first experiencing the game since it doesn't have traditional quests where you go here and then come back for a reward, it's more open-ended and achievement based where you can just roam the world and do whatever you come across and still make progress doing it. The story missions are instanced, and more traditional single-player RPG fare; the oldest ones are a bit rough around the edges, but especially with the Living World seasons and later expansions the story's really pretty good and there's quite a bit of it to play through.

End game isn't your traditional "end game" either, where you hit a wall that requires you to join a guild and run raids ad nauseum to get a bunch of sweaty tryhards the loot that they can't get without exploiting you until you get sick of it and quit. In GW2 end game is pretty much the entire game... you hit 80, and can go anywhere and do anything. Gear is a horizontal progression thing, so you don't have to only play the latest content to get equipment or else. You earn advancement called mastery points doing content from different eras of the game, with a variety of skills and abilities that come with that, and everything else you can earn just by playing and doing different activities.

There's a lot more, but the game is sort of overwhelming as it is. The best thing to know is that you can play when you want, where you want, how you want, and at your own pace, and you'll always be earning some kind of progress. It's way more friendly to casual players than most MMO's, without being like ESO where all casual content is accessible but also piss easy and pointless. It's a really great game once you get into it, but getting started can be pretty overwhelming at first.

Re: Rollerdrome Rolls Out
Aug 16, 2022, 20:57
Re: Rollerdrome Rolls Out Aug 16, 2022, 20:57
Aug 16, 2022, 20:57

This game is a hell of a lot of fun and totally worth the sale price it's at right now. Picked it up since I'm kind of desperate for something different, and it's fun right from the start.

Re: Spider-Man Remastered Released
Aug 12, 2022, 22:42
Re: Spider-Man Remastered Released Aug 12, 2022, 22:42
Aug 12, 2022, 22:42

RogueSix wrote on Aug 12, 2022, 21:40:
LOL, how is that even possible when the PS5 has exactly zero nVidia components inside? How would it even begin to be able to have "streaming decompression that is done in a RTX IO fashion"? That's physically impossible since the PS5 is all AMD and has zero relations to nVidia RTX (IO).

Sounds like a typical Digital Foundry "analysis" though.

Done in an RTX IO fashion doesn't mean it's done with RTX IO. It means the PS5's decompression is done in the same fashion that RTX IO does it.

Shit talking Digital Foundry is kind of a new one, so that's an interesting take at least.

Re: Evening Gatherings & Events
Aug 11, 2022, 22:41
Re: Evening Gatherings & Events Aug 11, 2022, 22:41
Aug 11, 2022, 22:41

Cool surprises and things you wouldn't expect at this point would just mean any game scheduled for this year actually still releasing this year.

Re: Everyone’s over remote work except for the workers themselves
Aug 11, 2022, 00:21
Re: Everyone’s over remote work except for the workers themselves Aug 11, 2022, 00:21
Aug 11, 2022, 00:21

Kxmode wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 21:18:
And to add to that, in my case, a pair of 4K displays and 1 Gbps fiber.

I'm pretty sure my wife would start a riot if they told her she had to go back on-site full time, and that's a big part of it. Her setup at home is far more productive than the one they provide when she does have to go in, and a sizable chunk of the people she deals with are going to have to be on Zoom meetings or conversing via Teams anyway. She'll log in and work before her shift is supposed to start, and stay late or schedule late meetings if need be when she's at home, but add in the commute and time to get ready and all that gets lost when she goes in.

Businesses need to recognize that remote work was going to be be the norm eventually anyway, it was just fast tracked by Covid. It's sort of touched on in the article, but the "get back to work" line is all bullshit meant to try and prop up businesses that were held up by office workers being in those areas when working on site. I switched to full-time work from home a decade ago when I was working for a hospital, and it was already becoming more common back then because of the cost of infrastructure to house my work unit...and I worked as a chef during covid, so I've kind of seen both sides of the issue. My restaurant needed to adapt to the changes with the real probability in mind that those office workers weren't coming back, and the places that either couldn't or wouldn't adapt were doomed...but they always were, eventually. Just like automation is going to change a lot of other jobs, the telework shift was inevitable. It happened too fast for comfort, but that doesn't mean you go backward just to accommodate the businesses that can't adapt.

Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 rumored specs downgraded to 9728 CUDA cores.
Aug 5, 2022, 13:45
Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 rumored specs downgraded to 9728 CUDA cores. Aug 5, 2022, 13:45
Aug 5, 2022, 13:45

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 13:20:
I also don't want to deal with the absurd power requirements they are going to have.

After another summer with my computer room in the upstairs of an old house, I'm with you on that one big time. It's not so bad in the winter, but I really don't want to add even more power hungry parts to my gaming space heater.

I also don't want to have drop another $150-$200 on a big power supply on top of any video card upgrade I might put in when I already have a decent 850w as it is. The 3080's were crazy enough for power as it is.

Re: Biz Buzz
Aug 4, 2022, 01:07
Re: Biz Buzz Aug 4, 2022, 01:07
Aug 4, 2022, 01:07

SMITE wrote on Aug 3, 2022, 23:02:
So what do you identify as the driving factors? More people seeking entertainment outside the home post-pandemic? Global recession?

I'm sure the reasoning will be that inflation has caused people to have less disposable money for luxury items like new PC's and high-end parts, but I'd say it also isn't helped by the simple fact that the lack of game releases this year hasn't really offered any compelling reason for people to be building and buying new gaming PC's. Unless you're a super enthusiast, there hasn't been a single release that needs a system from 2022 any more than your system from 2019 could handle.

People were dying to buy 3080's for Cyberpunk's release but there hasn't really been another game like it since, and with the price explosion that happened I haven't seen anyone getting super hyped up about the next big video card series at all. I think a lot of people realized they might not even need that 3080, much less the next bigger thing, especially when everyone's budget is a bit tighter.

Re: On Sale
Aug 3, 2022, 02:55
Re: On Sale Aug 3, 2022, 02:55
Aug 3, 2022, 02:55

bhcompy wrote on Aug 3, 2022, 01:31:
What the hell is Emily Is Away?

It's a sort of branching visual novel-ish game about friendships played through an interface that looks like Facebook. I'm not sure it's really for me, but it's interesting and I'd be surprised if someone who was more into indies than I am didn't find something to like about it.
2443 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    123  ] Older