Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 6549 (Guru)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V System Specs
3. Re: Battlefield V System Specs May 29, 2018, 12:17 DangerDog

User Requirements:

A heavy dose of amnesia over what you learned in history class about WWII.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2018, 16:01 DangerDog

I'm ready to live in climate controlled domed cities  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 PC Open Beta Plans
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 PC Open Beta Plans May 28, 2018, 15:55 DangerDog

It's going to be interesting to see how they implement vehicles in their PUBG clone, I skipped the one where you fly space ships but the previous ones where you drove a tank, jeep or plane were comical at best.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
23. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 15:51 DangerDog

Maybe Bill Gates plays Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXWvCYPnUKE

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2018, 15:00 DangerDog

Those girls were lucky, didn't turn out as well for old Buddy

https://youtu.be/4lzhxfuOW-A?t=94

News Comments > Apple on Steam Link iOS Rejection
3. Re: Apple on Steam Link iOS Rejection May 27, 2018, 14:21 DangerDog

Meanwhile Microsoft is like.. can we do that too?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2018, 22:33 DangerDog

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2018, 17:24:
Wow, that short film Tank was fantastic! Perfect music for it too.

watch the making of video..

completely nuts

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. May 26, 2018, 19:31 DangerDog

Bludd wrote on May 26, 2018, 13:45:
DangerDog wrote on May 26, 2018, 13:12:
Rhett wrote on May 26, 2018, 08:41:
If it was claiming to be 100% historically accurate, I would care... but it's not. Just looking at the trailer's thumbnail you can tell it's not taking itself seriously.

There are hardcore realism games like Squad, Post Scriptum and ARMA, and then there's Battlefield and Call of Duty, which pander to sales. Appreciation for historically accurate games has gone down the drain, because there's so little to work with (from our perspective at least - how many times do we have to take back France from the Nazis?!).

It's not a political statement, it's a game about shooting other people and having fun. With WW2 weapons. There are many things to be concerned about in today's world and this game is not one of them, lol.

DICE isn't using the term "Historically accurate" as far as I know, but they do keep saying "Authentic WWII experience" they just need to replace "Authentic" with "Fantastical".

It wouldn't do much to pleasing those wanting something "authentic" but at least it would be more true to what the game is. Complete fantasy.
But this rabbit hole is bottomless. You can say that even games striving for realism and accuracy are fantasies because they depict events that haven't happened; even Squad, for instance, has reviving and respawning and the scenarios you play aren't historical reenactments. ARMA 3 is about a made-up future conflict.

Even documentaries or history books are curated because 1) there is never absolute information certainty about even events that are in the information age and 2) day-to-day minutiae even of the most thrilling historical events are bound to be boring.

It's all about storytelling. An authentic experience can be historically inaccurate and not suffer for it at all.

No need to go down the rabbit hole when what people are complaining about is right on the surface. I'm pretty sure we have enough historical information about WWII to make something "authentic". People are already digging up information about how there were amputee spies and soldiers during WWII, no mechanical armed snipers though but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

A fictional WWII setting is fine, the disconnect is when you try to overlap that with real historical events and then try to claim that you're being authentic to that event. To those that don't find the day-to-day minutia of historical events boring it reeks of historical revisionism, and thus their panties are in a wad over it.

Maybe DICE can find the right balance between inclusivity and WWII authenticity without it looking like a scene from Suicide Squad.

11. Re: etc., etc. May 26, 2018, 13:12 DangerDog

Rhett wrote on May 26, 2018, 08:41:
If it was claiming to be 100% historically accurate, I would care... but it's not. Just looking at the trailer's thumbnail you can tell it's not taking itself seriously.

There are hardcore realism games like Squad, Post Scriptum and ARMA, and then there's Battlefield and Call of Duty, which pander to sales. Appreciation for historically accurate games has gone down the drain, because there's so little to work with (from our perspective at least - how many times do we have to take back France from the Nazis?!).

It's not a political statement, it's a game about shooting other people and having fun. With WW2 weapons. There are many things to be concerned about in today's world and this game is not one of them, lol.

DICE isn't using the term "Historically accurate" as far as I know, but they do keep saying "Authentic WWII experience" they just need to replace "Authentic" with "Fantastical".

It wouldn't do much to pleasing those wanting something "authentic" but at least it would be more true to what the game is. Complete fantasy.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 25, 2018, 22:48 DangerDog

No shoes, No shirt, No service.  

4. Re: etc., etc. May 25, 2018, 22:43 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2018, 18:45:
We need Beam to mansplain why female characters is the bads.

It does nothing but glorify violence towards women, being able to drag a woman's lifeless body is the equivalent to virtual rape.*

~Anita Sarkeesian

*supposedly you're going to be able to move downed players before reviving them.

News Comments > Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency
21. Re: Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency May 25, 2018, 18:22 DangerDog

Slick wrote on May 25, 2018, 18:04:

The PROBLEM is that now they aren't announcing exactly how much post-launch support a game will get. We still have no idea WTF is happening with Battlefront's post-launch "live service", and if BF V goes in the same direction it could be a catastrofuck.

Battlefront 2 players know all about "games as a service" and extra content.

I think what DICE will end up doing is making a bunch of maps for the game but slowly release them over time, making the initial content weaker at release but keeping people interested in playing with "new content" drops every couple of months.

If the cosmetics turn out to be a non plus on the revenue side then after they release the existing maps for the game they'll assign the support devs to a new project.

News Comments > Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency
10. Re: Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency May 25, 2018, 14:17 DangerDog

I wonder if this means there will also be a 3rd person camera mode, what's the point in paying for cosmetic items when you can't even see them?

aside from that, given the direction they've decided to take on this fantasy WWII themed game I think they've made a poor choice on cosmetic items for what could have been a cash cow for DICE. The rock and a hard place was shoehorning in diversity into the game, seems people are already poking fun at the aesthetic and character choices they've made.

Given the heat they're taking over women on the WWII battlefield game it would be funny if they had everyone start out as a female base class and then have you grind out hundreds of hours to unlock the male avatars.

I'll be taking a pass on mechanical claw arms and blue face paint.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black May 24, 2018, 22:17 DangerDog

That cure for cancer is right around the corner

too bad the path is an indy 500 race track

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
42. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 15:23 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:03:
DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 14:45:
jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:10:
Task wrote on May 24, 2018, 12:14:
Cutter wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:09:
bigspender wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:50:
For sure, but I believe it has more to do with marketing the game to a wider audience than SJW pandering. It's a smart business move to make it appeal to more people.

Is it though? Most people have had enough of the PC bullshit. The silent majority is pissed off and not staying silent anymore. This is manifesting itself the world over. Look at most of the recent elections in Europe where it's all starting to go hard right. Even here after 15 years of Liberal misrule it looks like they're going to get crushed - and rightfully so - this June. I suppose we'll see.

Oh come on Cutter... How in the hell is this "PC". It's a Battlefield game. Would it be less "PC" for a woman soldier to be in a "modern" shooty-shooty game?

There are more 'historical' WW2 games anyways:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

The other thing is that women fighting in WW2 isn't even historically inaccurate. Here's a bunch of Soviet women. Check out the scope on her Mosin M1891. And here's a French partisan, dressed to the nines and wielding a Schmeisser MP40.

And having them in the game wouldn't upset anyone if the goal was to create a historically accurate WWII game, which is essentially where all this backlash is originating. On one hand DICE is trying to say this is a WWII game but on the other they've inserted a bunch of characters that look like they'd fit in with something like Dishonored 2 or God's of War.

It's the realistic graphics that are trapping them up. If they went with a 'toon' look then the fantasy part would be front and center, but then the comparison to fortnite would be even higher - despite Battlefield Heroes doing it first.

I think I can see this argument, though we've seen so little. Uncanny Valley of Realism. Wolfenstein is over the top enough to not be an issue, original Wolfestein such poor graphics it wasn't an issue, but this is close to realistic so that the unrealistic stuff stands out.

I'd wager that it feels more fully baked in a larger reveal.

It's also a departure from all the Battlefield games up till now (except for Battlefield Heroes), which has been "authentic looking but arcade like in execution and gameplay". I see it as DICE trying to be 'edgy and hip' and also trying to distance the game from strong nationalistic themes of what an authentic WWII game would bring.

The historical relevance of the game is completely tossed out the window. They can only loosely play with the larger scope of the war thematically, which if you notice they're specifically targeting settings that are a departure of what people expect - no storming the beaches of Normandy this time around.

39. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 14:45 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:10:
Task wrote on May 24, 2018, 12:14:
Cutter wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:09:
bigspender wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:50:
For sure, but I believe it has more to do with marketing the game to a wider audience than SJW pandering. It's a smart business move to make it appeal to more people.

Is it though? Most people have had enough of the PC bullshit. The silent majority is pissed off and not staying silent anymore. This is manifesting itself the world over. Look at most of the recent elections in Europe where it's all starting to go hard right. Even here after 15 years of Liberal misrule it looks like they're going to get crushed - and rightfully so - this June. I suppose we'll see.

Oh come on Cutter... How in the hell is this "PC". It's a Battlefield game. Would it be less "PC" for a woman soldier to be in a "modern" shooty-shooty game?

There are more 'historical' WW2 games anyways:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

The other thing is that women fighting in WW2 isn't even historically inaccurate. Here's a bunch of Soviet women. Check out the scope on her Mosin M1891. And here's a French partisan, dressed to the nines and wielding a Schmeisser MP40.

And having them in the game wouldn't upset anyone if the goal was to create a historically accurate WWII game, which is essentially where all this backlash is originating. On one hand DICE is trying to say this is a WWII game but on the other they've inserted a bunch of characters that look like they'd fit in with something like Dishonored 2 or God of War.

It's the realistic graphics that are trapping them up. If they went with a 'toon' look then the fantasy part would be front and center, but then the comparison to fortnite would be even higher - despite Battlefield Heroes doing it first.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2018, 15:04.

24. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 02:18 DangerDog

If using a wrench to repair a bridge is just like Fortnite then yeah the ability to build reinforcement structures and repair things is exactly like it.

nevermind that you could do that in BF1942.

18. Re: Battlefield V in October May 23, 2018, 23:42 DangerDog

Prediction

98.9% of the people saying they're not going to buy it will end up buying it.

15. Re: Battlefield V in October May 23, 2018, 23:35 DangerDog

Wallshadows wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:48:
Even for BF... even for CoD... that was a really messy, chaotic trailer.

MFW this game retails for $120 though since it apparently won't come with loot boxes or DLC. There's no way EA will let those slide without some kind of huge catch.

They might do the usual mountain dew and Doritos tie in but surprisingly they didn't jack the price of the base game.

Looks like they tied the "deluxe" edition to special assignments where you complete them you'll get some sort of perk, probably a slight faster progression to higher rank.

We'll have to see how far they take the alt-history with this game, mount that 4x scope to your M1 garand.

Seems Gearbox was going to make a game like this, renegade soldiers aka inglorious bastards.

10. Re: Battlefield V in October May 23, 2018, 22:42 DangerDog

It's like DICE can read my mind

I always wanted a WWII game where you get to fight against black female nazis with blue face paint.

6549 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo