Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 5589 (Guru)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 6, 2015, 17:58 DangerDog

Mr. Robot was great for the first couple of episodes, the way he deconstructed things like Apple using child labor to make shitty products for the world to consume or how meaningless the endless diarrhea spewing forth from "social media" is.

but then it turned into a show about a drug addict with a special bonus of showing two guys having anal sex.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
5. Re: Sunday Interviews Sep 6, 2015, 17:49 DangerDog

too jaded or maybe they just couldn't / didn't want to work with his toxic personality?

he seems to desperately want to seem cool and hip by dropping fifty million f-bombs whenever he's on camera but it just makes him look like a pretentious asshole.

News Comments > Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video
29. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 5, 2015, 18:21 DangerDog

Actions speak louder than words, or pictures and videos.

I don't think they should pat themselves on the back for releasing a couple of buggy "modules" for the game and if what they've shown so far is something they're actually proud of then their 14,000 word essay doesn't mean anything but more disappointment for the future.

I'm not saying they don't have talented people working on the game, doubt anyone could argue that the space ship renderings aren't really cool to look at but it all falls apart when your actual game is a huge clunky mess.

By now you would think they would have at least nailed down the space combat portion but it still seems like a patchwork attempt at trying to create something that either the engine isn't capable of or is imploding onto itself by over complicating the objective which should be first and foremost "fun" to play.

Compare the way they did it with Elite Dangerous development where the first thing they did was nail down the flight mechanics, there's a sense of physical presence to flying a ship in Elite whereas in Star Citizen you feel like you have a space ship hud bolted onto your screen and you're just floating around like you would if you enabled free look in the Crytek engine.

If only they would spend less time with their "second life" portion of this game and work on making the core functions as polished and fun as possible maybe I wouldn't be so skeptical.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2015, 18:59 DangerDog

I use a Dynaflex powerball for wrist strengthening

http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Pro-Gyro-Exerciser/dp/B004RZIBZU

Been thinking about getting a foot switch for a long time but they all seem to be designed around needing to use too much force to use, I want something like a capacitance switch on something thin.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
66. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 3, 2015, 02:54 DangerDog

Yeah, everyone let's boycott this game.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/22072/1195027-abxw9.png

lol

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
46. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 16:01 DangerDog

I think there's a number of reasons why they did this.

It's a casual arcade game and not meant to be played the same way you would a Battlefield game. It's really just a "buddy" game where you and maybe a friend play together, they only have two man fireteams not five player squads with different loadouts. They're doing everything they can to not have the game labeled "Battlefield: Star Wars reskined edition".

When you play Battlefield you usually end up with stacked teams stomping the other team into non-existence which usually results in a bunch of rage quitting and sometimes completely killing the server of players. With this game you're limited to just two people working together - or not so it's a lot less likely you can teamstack. If one side does get rekked then the match making will fill in the slots automatically.

Clans that like to get on teamspeak and team stack while pub stomping really aren't welcome here.

This is a game based on a movie, yeah it's Star Wars which should equate into amazing gameplay but let's be honest - people want to recapture the popular scenes from the movie but on the other hand that doesn't necessarily translate into compelling gameplay. How many times will you play the Hoth level and get bored of doing the same exact thing over and over again. At least with Walker Assault mode which tries to recreate the movie scene it's going to get tired after what maybe twenty hours or so?

That puts the focus on the game into the "mass consumption" category, this isn't a game you'll be playing years from now or even six months after release. Once the initial rush of players have consumed the content it'll sharply fall off player population wise - more so on PC than consoles. This is why they've set the player count lower and added bots to the game.

ZeroPike1 wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 15:50:
I cannot forsee why I would want this undone. BF4 for me is sitting in 24/7 Metro with no explosives and higher ticket counts. Sometimes I load up a 24/7 Metro with no shotguns. Or sometimes I pick normal large open conquest maps.

The opposite of this though is people who can't stand the 24/7 servers and feel ripped off when they look at the server browser and the only thing running is 24/7 metro. A perfect example of this is Battlefield Hardline where the population has shrank to just a handful of players and the most popular server is 24/7 "The Block" which is the worst map ever created for a battlefield game.

Altering the gameplay with scripts "No explosives, No Shotguns" etc is also an issue of contention between DICE who say it's against the rules and players who are frustrated by it.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they had put a server browser in the game and had matchmaking as an option. I'm just commenting on the reasons why I think DICE did this. If for no other reason DICE have always sucked at making server browsers, I think they even dropped support for Chrome with Battlelog (or maybe Google fucked it up). Look at how long it took them to add a functional in game browser to Bad Company 2.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 16:17.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Released
5. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Released Sep 2, 2015, 02:00 DangerDog

There's no way to make a true night map, people would just crank up their brightness to compensate.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Sep 2, 2015, 01:46 DangerDog

That update list for 4.9 reminds me of the youtube channel for the engine, the tutorial videos start out with something like several hundred thousand views but in each successive tutorial they lose around 40k views.

I think people thought making games with this would be, easy?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month Sep 1, 2015, 21:41 DangerDog

Don't you have that backwards? Matchmaking is the last thing an e-sports game would want, let's all join X server to practice - oops.

If you can't make a server private and you have no controls over what map you're playing - good luck with that.

No details yet on how their party system works, supposedly it has one.

Anyways, a few weeks ago people were celebrating the fact that the game wasn't using Battlelog.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 1, 2015, 21:36 DangerDog

The most insane quote from that article is him saying

If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it.

If that's true then he's got to be placed in some record book of slickest salesman ever.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Released
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Released Sep 1, 2015, 20:57 DangerDog

The counter to people running around with Invr or Flir is flares or flashbangs.

you have to "buy" the DLC from the store before you can play the night map (only one right now but more are going to be released). It's free but you have to buy it. Maybe EA is doing some sort of back end accounting and writing it off as a $14.95 loss every time someone clicks the button.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month
1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Next Month Sep 1, 2015, 18:20 DangerDog

Graphics and sound seem top notch from the alpha videos released but gameplay wise it reminds me of those really old Star Wars games they made that were nothing more than a partially interactive movie "Star Wars - Rebel Assault".

Either way it's cool they're not locking it away from people trying it out before release.

Oh yeah, Matchmaking 100% confirmed. No Server Browser, instanced servers.

http://i.imgur.com/jRgGbET.png

I can see why they want to obscure details about the game population, it becomes self fulfilling death of a game when you look at a game like Hardline with hardly anyone playing and decide not to bother.

I don't know how they're going to spin the benefits of not having a server browser. "skill based matchmaking"

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2015, 19:23.

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
46. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 16:29 DangerDog

I only purchase Steam games through Steam when the sales are going, otherwise I buy them through key dealers like Green Man Gaming.  

News Comments > MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download?
8. Re: MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download? Aug 31, 2015, 21:13 DangerDog

Oh, hello there Bandwidth cap and you thought you could avoid it by getting a retail copy of a game.

ha ha ha ha

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Nuk3town Offer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Nuk3town Offer Aug 31, 2015, 21:10 DangerDog

The game runs on matchmaking so they get to control over how and when the map is played.

They offer up the ability to play a map you've paid for like it's a special treat, "this weekend only you can play Nuke Town".

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
52. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 05:36 DangerDog

There's videos that shows it off, it's relatively small with large vistas of buildings and ships flying in the background. Bar, medic hospital, jobs, spaceship showroom, gun store. It's just a hub with everything pretty close to each other.

There's a way to glitch a craft to fly around the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GX1HpYnhUw

of course it's completely overbuilt, looks like it was made by someone who never studied game design and optimization. everything not visible from the player character should be culled from the scene for example.

12. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 30, 2015, 20:59 DangerDog

James Cameron did it right, moved to NZ (along with his family) set himself up on a farm and I think he installed a dedicated fiber connection so that he could essentially VR into the movie studio to work on his Avatar pet projects from his ranch.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
34. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 20:53 DangerDog

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:31:
Finally got in without timing out. God damn, I'm impressed! The fidelity of the hub is amazing. No wonder it's taking so long for them to roll out stuff...

It looks very Mass Effect but with the clutter and immersive atmosphere of Deus Ex. The cityscapes look amazing. I was always dissapointed that Mass Effect always cheated with a blurry window over looking a matte painting with sprite vehicles flying around.

Star Citizen has fully modeled skyscrapers with a very realistic urban sprawl connecting everything together.

I don't know why they called it the "social module". They should just call it the "hub" or something. The social part -- there's no chat function that I could find -- just has a bunch of identical dudes running around in various states of lag.

F12 to enable IRC mode

don't forget to

/dance
/dance
/dance

8. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 30, 2015, 16:51 DangerDog

The whole deal behind spending two billion dollars for Minecraft makes me think it's like some ultra rich guy's version of Trading Places just to see what some average slob would do with all that money. I'm sure there's at least a dollar wager that he'll go broke before he turns 40.  

1. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 30, 2015, 15:40 DangerDog

For someone who had enough imagination to create Minecraft he seems to be running short on it with regards to how to spend his money. First thing he seemed to do was blow $70 million dollars on that museum of a house in LA? Of all the places in the world to plant your flag why on earth would you want to live there?

If someone handed me two billion dollars I think I'd be playing Minecraft only with real world structures building a city that would equate to nerd nirvana, the massive wall would be to keep the creepers out.

5589 Comments. 280 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo