Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 5795 (Guru)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
48. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 02:27 DangerDog

Ever since DICE released Battlefield Bad Company 2 with on disc DLC people have been convinced that the DLC is completed along with the game, there's no changing their belief on this.

I'm sure they started working on maps for the game's DLC before it was shipped, they also tend to hand off the DLC portion of the game to second tier teams to free up the brain trust of the people who coded the game to work on the next big project (most likely the next Battlefield game).

They've already said a big N O to any space combat so that rules out any Death Star action, should be interesting watching peoples enthusiasm die when they announce more maps for Walker Assault with just slightly different backdrops.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
37. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 5, 2016, 02:18 DangerDog

Way to crush our dreams there Scheherazade.

what's left, roller coaster simulation software?

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 18:04 DangerDog

Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:38:
Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:44:
It will be funny this time next year when EA announces Battlefront servers will be turned off....but look at the shiny new game we just came out with! That one lets you play online plus look at all the high ratings it got in the (paid off) press.

Just in time for the new game with TFA DLC for ultimate cash-ins *CHA-CHING*. New StarWarz playable characters include: Poo Digimon, FretfulNumbskull-Trooper87, TrashCompactorPhasma (Special Ability, Get Trash Compacted), OldLeia, MartyrSolo, EmoJacenSolo with special TemperTantram-Mode, and more! Next year, prepare for more paid maps and character DLC with the release of yet another SW films as the franchise becomes epically saturated.

They've already announced no TFA dlc for the game.

12. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 17:04 DangerDog

Rossafur wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:52:
I've been jonesing for this to make my return to flight sims (Falcon 4.0 and MechWarrior 2 for the S3 Virge were the first Windows PC games I played way back as a kid) as I'm spending a fortune crashing my RC aircraft over and over, but reading about the 90 FPS it requires has me worried...

I'm still rocking a I-7 2600K @ 3.4GHZ (but smart-clocked or whatever to 4.4GHZ with the ASUS app) for years now, but with 8gb RAM and a GTX 970 I have yet to feel the need to upgrade my CPU... Is this going to be what requires it?

depends on the game of course but some games will undoubtedly require a GTX 980ti.

5. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 16:17 DangerDog

Are the mounted headphones mandatory or can you remove them? They look super cheap and uncomfortable. I'm also wondering about how deep the claws of #Facebook are into the whole experience, mandatory to be logged into Facebook while using it?

1. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 15:14 DangerDog

Do pre-orders come with a "Rift" puke bucket?  

32. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:10 DangerDog

Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:44:
It will be funny this time next year when EA announces Battlefront servers will be turned off....but look at the shiny new game we just came out with! That one lets you play online plus look at all the high ratings it got in the (paid off) press.

Nobody will be left playing the game to care if they turn off the servers on it. They haven't turned off the servers on Medal of Honor from 2010 and that game is dead as dog shit.

Aside from the game not having any space combat they've pretty much blown their wad in terms of cherry picking the fan serviceable parts from the franchise. Making a clone war focused Battlefront game would be extremely narrow niche audience, Force Awakens is too thin on content to transform into a game.

29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 14:35 DangerDog

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:22:
If those numbers are true then it is another testament to the sad state of affairs in gaming land. Massive juggernaut that Star Wars merchandising power can still pull.

fixed, the game was 100% fanboy service to the original trilogy and the hype around the new "soft reboot" of the franchise.

Arithon wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 11:42:
That's an over-estimate even based on the numbers sold to retailers.

Everyone I knew who played the Beta on PC has said "it's okay but not worth 50. Wait for a sale".

Me included.

It did go on sale, rather quickly and with pretty low prices. Xbox One version went as low as $30 at the Microsoft Store. On Origin they dropped it down to $39 - and if you took a walk across the border with a VPN you could get it for even less.

For multiplayer FPS fans looking for something new to play you either had COD BO3 which sucked or Star Wars super casual shooter.

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
12. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 18:20 DangerDog

I doubt it, the game is probably tied into the xbox "app" that comes pre-installed with 10.  

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
6. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 15:46 DangerDog

Was wondering when they were going to get up to this, cross-platform even.

That should give cheaters something to have fun with.

Halo would most likely bring more people kicking and screaming into the Windows 10 sheepfold.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
10. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 17:33 DangerDog

The resolution on the first gen Riffts aren't that great from what I remember reading, 1080 or something. I think everyone was expecting 1440.  

8. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 16:58 DangerDog

I'm kind of looking forward to picking one up cheap from someone who gets motion sickness from using it, not looking forward to cleaning puke off of it.  

3. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 15:32 DangerDog

This doesn't look like a game worthy of VR. A mario-kart racing clone would be more appropriate if it were in first person. You could have cartoon cars, planes, boats and maybe spaceships to switch up the experience.  

News Comments > Oculus Touch Controllers Delayed
2. Re: Oculus Touch Controllers Delayed Jan 1, 2016, 15:29 DangerDog

This isn't the touch hardware we're looking for.

VR needs something like Google's Project Soli radar hand tracking.

News Comments > Red5 Misses Payroll
6. Re: Red5 Misses Payroll Dec 28, 2015, 20:45 DangerDog

Now they get to wait until some bankruptcy court sorts it out?

doubt there will be any money left over once the lawyers get paid, time to move on.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 28, 2015, 16:50 DangerDog

Yifes wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 15:30:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 15:04:
Zero chance of your typical American following the "teams" of a bunch of Asian guys clicking on a mouse or twiddling with a game controller.

Here's two American dudes talking about an Asian-American dude clicking his mouse on TV.

And here's an interview with an American dude after playing a showmatch at IEM.

So yeah, people do care, not just in Asia (Madison Square Gardens, Staples Center).

In case you don't know who these people are: Gordon Hayward, Rick Fox, Mark Cuban, and Doublelift.

Bunch of dudes trying to make money off of some nerd shit they don't even understand. Every once in awhile you see a story about some idiot trying to create an esports arena in the US, few months later they've blown through their capital and are busted ass broke.

Keep drinking that mountain dew and eating those doritos, you too might one day live the dream of being a lifeless blob of flesh up on the big gaming arena screen.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 28, 2015, 15:04 DangerDog

Article title is missing one important part, "in Asia" needs to be appended to the end.

Zero chance of your typical American following the "teams" of a bunch of Asian guys clicking on a mouse or twiddling with a game controller.

They even tried to get people interested in "soccer" on a national level like it is in Europe and parts of Asia, still waiting for that to happen lol.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 18:07 DangerDog

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 15:51:
Even in Star Trek where they can talk to the computer they *still* use a keyboard. Until people are literally jacking into "cyberspace" and their thoughts are translated directly they'll be using a KB/M. And so long as people need to do actual real work on a PC they're not going anywhere.

I don't know about you but when I send a text message on my phone I use voice recognition to input the text. I would use voice more on my PC but the implementation is complete crap, we're a long way off from the personal assistant like in the movie "Her".

Even something like that might not end up being the killer application that gets businesses motivated in upgrading since the focus seems to be on processing the voice input through the "cloud".

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 17:55 DangerDog

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 16:05:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 15:25:
harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:38:
This is, in my view the reason why the PC market is in trouble. There has been no software created in the last ten years that uses the available hardware.

guy is living in a fucking cave.. where do they find these people and how in the hell are they getting hired

Nope, pretty much true from a business perspective.

Nope - complete bullshit. Heres one for you: Adobe Photoshop. Adobe After Effects. the whole adobe CC, thats just one suite of software that absolutely requires as much horsepower as youve got

not to mention the audio side of things

if you are talking about word processing, then you are a complete fucking idiot because that peaked with DOS

Those are specialized applications, might as well throw Maya or Autocad into the mix.

The everyday programs that "businesses" use don't amount to more than a web browser, word processing and spread sheet program.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 15:25 DangerDog

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:38:
This is, in my view the reason why the PC market is in trouble. There has been no software created in the last ten years that uses the available hardware.

guy is living in a fucking cave.. where do they find these people and how in the hell are they getting hired

Nope, pretty much true from a business perspective. The failure is in adding real functionality to voice recognition and transforming the interaction process into something along the lines of HAL 9000. Cortana is just a gimmick compared to what's really needed.

If you play around with the Microsoft Speech API it's the same basic one that's been in place since Windows XP, maybe even Windows 98.

It's extremely crude compared to Google Voice recognition, same with text to speech.

I'm not talking about adding AI to computers, that's never going to be truly organic. It's an ginormous task to take on proper voice recognition but you should at the very least be able to dictate a letter or email using your voice by now with 98% accuracy and little to no training, it should be built into the OS.

5795 Comments. 290 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo