Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 5709 (Guru)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 14:51 DangerDog

The only area that could be improved visually for the division would be less repetition of objects and the textures on said objects, if you go around scrutinizing everything in the environment then of course you're going to see things like the books on the bookshelf all being the same one or that giant wall graffiti painting being a 1:1 copy used elsewhere as a poster in a room. Sometimes it makes me laugh like the blurry lorem ipsum on an office safety poster or a fax machine with a "Strat" button.

Visual fidelity isn't the issue with The Division, the issue is going to be whether or not the world they've created turns out to be an empty vessel lacking in content to do justice to the background setting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2016, 17:31 DangerDog

DDI wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 17:19:
These guys are paranoid idiots. Even the Enterprise version installs a bunch of modern apps that want to go get the weather, news, etc.

Of course with telemetry disabled, there still would be traffic to MS. You can remove all the modern apps if you want and there's plenty of articles on how to do it

Is the paranoia unjustified though? In the EULA there is something regarding MS having the authority to remove programs from your computer, they did just that with one of their updates where a bunch of utilities that people had installed were gone after the update.

If their tracking telemetry reports a sizable portion of the users running some sort of blocking program like spybot anti-beacon then they could auto-remove it from systems without any notice, just as an example.

Aside from games there's just a couple of programs - mostly stuff like Adobe Creative Suite that keeps people tied to Windows. If Adobe ported their software to Linux that would be huge.

6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2016, 17:19 DangerDog

Frijoles wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 17:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 16:09:
I'm trying to understand how some companies are planning on dealing with this.

Install Enterprise version. I wonder if it does the same thing. I know we're evaluating it because it doesn't force updates (we want to control that). Enterprise also lets you turn off Cortana, so probably lets you disable other things.

This guy installed Enterprise edition, although he didn't go on to turn off known attributes that activate internet connections behind the scenes you would think at least the Enterprise edition would be easier to turn off that sort of stuff. You can turn off Cortana in other versions as well. I was under the impression that you could only "delay" updates on Enterprise and Pro versions but not turn it off completely.

I've read that the next major update to Windows 10 "redstone" will see Cortana features spread throughout the OS so eventually they might make it where you can't turn it off.

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2016, 14:53 DangerDog

I read TFA, the guy is an idiot and screwed up the test.

He configured the router to drop all connections. So Windows tries to access Windows Update, and it fails. So it tries the next server on the list, which fails. Strange, the interface has an IP address, try the next one...

Windows also has this thing called the Out Of Box Experience. It's been there since at least 98, probably before. The first time you log in, it runs a few things so you can choose your preferences and set important stuff up. If you ignore it, it will carry on looking for updates from the Windows Store, updates for live tiles in the start menu etc.

Every OS enables a load of crap by default. This is not surprising at all.

Unlike the guy in TFA, I bothered to do this properly. If you disable everything and don't use Windows Store apps then the only traffic is to Windows Update.

This could be true, just doing a virgin install of the OS and only unchecking the initial options on privacy stuff isn't going to cut it (live tile updates alone could be a source for a lot of those connections).

You can even delete/uninstall the telemetry service completely if you're ultra paranoid.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
2. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 7, 2016, 14:30 DangerDog

The main reason people didn't leave it installed for occasional play is the size of the game, 50+ gb is just stupid. Multiplayer needs to be separate from single player and not contain 40gb of uncompressed audio.

Yes massive hard drives are cheap and you don't need to have this sitting on your SSD to load fast but it's still feel like so much wasted space, compare to something like GTAV that comes in at 64 gb.

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
19. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 05:34 DangerDog

NamecaF wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 03:46:

Basically, imagine Steam with no ties to Valve and no inbuilt DRM? Stop trolling.

That platform exists in the form of Good Old Games. Now you just have to convince everyone to buy their games from GOG exclusively.

The real threat isn't from Origin, Ubisoft or Steam DRM it's the extra layer of DRM that publishers are pushing such as Denuvo a form of anti-tamper technology. Lately I've been playing older games and many of them require tweaks to files and settings to work on modern OS - with this new form of DRM you'll be shit out of luck in doing that in the future.

18. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 05:24 DangerDog

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 04:15:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 00:36:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

That's not quite true. There's something to be said for customer consideration and there's definitely very little of that when you only sell your games on Origin. Steam is the defacto distribution platform on PC and the vast majority of PC gamers use it. Not only that but they enjoy using it. As such, it makes perfect sense to support it (which is why every single publisher does except EA). It's simply good for customers. It's also good for business, as your game will receive more exposure and more sales (which is why Ubisoft still sells their games on Steam, even though they have their own digital distribution platform). It's a win-win situation.

Imagine if every company only sold its products exclusively through its own storefront. Supermarkets, convenience stores, book stores, Amazon... all would cease to exit. Want to buy a box of Cheerios? Sorry, you have to go to your nearest General Mills store. Want some Colgate toothpaste? Check your local Colgate store. Want a new Nvidia videocard? Gotta buy direct from Nvidia. Shopping would be a very inconvenient and irritating process. That's why people don't like Origin.

EA doesn't exclusively sell their games through Origin, you can buy them from other e-tailers. I buy EA games from GreenManGaming mostly.

So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

If anything multiple digital distribution platforms should be praised so someone like MS doesn't have that kind of power and Valve shouldn't have that kind of power either.

People don't like Origin because it's EA and they want to use a system that's easy for them to do one stop shopping with. If those people held the same attitude about the MS store and refused to use any other platform think of what a disaster that would be.

People like having all their games accessible from one place. For most people, that place is Steam. Yes, you can buy Origin games from other resellers but then those games won't be in your Steam library.

As for Valve vs MS, the key difference is that MS has a history of terrible products and services. GFWL was an utter debacle. From what I've read, the Windows Store is just as bad. MS also loves to slap on arbitrary exclusivity in order to push their latest OS. I'm pretty sure DX12 would work just fine on Vista/7/8 but nope, exclusive to 10. Fable Legends? 10 exclusive. Killer Instinct? 10 exclusive. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition? 10 exclusive. Gigantic? 10 exclusive. Any game MS is going to publish within then next 5 years? 10 exclusive and only available on the Windows Store.

A digital distribution platform should only be praised if it offers value to customers. Steam does that. The other platforms do not. People like Steam. When given the choice between Steam and DRM-free GOG, most people choose Steam. When given the choice between Steam, Windows Store, Origin or Uplay, people choose Steam. If Valve really does have a "monopoly" on the market, it's only because people prefer their service over the alternatives.

Some of that value that Steam offers is due to competition in the form of sales and whatnot. I completely understand the popularity of Steam and the desire to use it as the singular PC gaming portal but people need to realize that being myopic has its negative aspects as well.

To me a digital distribution platform should do one thing, deliver purchased content in a timely manner.

The DX12 issue is a whole other can of worms, eventually any PC gamer that wants to get newer games is going to have to cross that bridge - or not.

13. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 02:55 DangerDog

NamecaF wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:35:

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

Well, I'd argue there is an issue with fragmenting the market and with every man and his dog making their own clients with "exclusives" where does it stop?

Companies just dont learn from history, do they? Whether it's PC and Mac. Beta and VHS. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. There's always going to be a loser and the people that suffer the most are the poor saps that chose the wrong side.

I really think publishers and developers shouldn't be creating these digital services. There should instead be an independent third party that creates one and make it standard.

Personally I'd prefer if these clients were all optional and not tied in with DRM or bullshit exclusives. But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice and you mooks are happy to go along with it, so I guess I'm shit out of luck.

holy shit, just no. You would not want someone dictating a "standard" for digital distribution. Those formats you're talking about did not become standards because the best of the best was chosen. Beta > VHS and neither was Blu-ray the better of the two.

we're talking about downloading files to your computer, that doesn't require a standard. What if Microsoft was the one to create this "standard", you could bet they would be charging everyone else to use it and most assuredly it would be some of the nastiest DRM ever.

12. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 02:33 DangerDog

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 00:36:

That's not quite true. There's something to be said for customer consideration and there's definitely very little of that when you only sell your games on Origin. Steam is the defacto distribution platform on PC and the vast majority of PC gamers use it. Not only that but they enjoy using it. As such, it makes perfect sense to support it (which is why every single publisher does except EA). It's simply good for customers. It's also good for business, as your game will receive more exposure and more sales (which is why Ubisoft still sells their games on Steam, even though they have their own digital distribution platform). It's a win-win situation.

Imagine if every company only sold its products exclusively through its own storefront. Supermarkets, convenience stores, book stores, Amazon... all would cease to exit. Want to buy a box of Cheerios? Sorry, you have to go to your nearest General Mills store. Want some Colgate toothpaste? Check your local Colgate store. Want a new Nvidia videocard? Gotta buy direct from Nvidia. Shopping would be a very inconvenient and irritating process. That's why people don't like Origin.

EA doesn't exclusively sell their games through Origin, you can buy them from other e-tailers. I buy EA games from GreenManGaming mostly.

So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

If anything multiple digital distribution platforms should be praised so someone like MS doesn't have that kind of power and Valve shouldn't have that kind of power either.

People don't like Origin because it's EA and they want to use a system that's easy for them to do one stop shopping with. If those people held the same attitude about the MS store and refused to use any other platform think of what a disaster that would be.

7. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 4, 2016, 23:19 DangerDog

News Comments > DOOM in May
27. Re: DOOM in May Feb 4, 2016, 15:14 DangerDog

Animations have a very odd pause to them instead of just being fluid, I guess one can only hope that it'll have a proper PC settings including a way to increase the FOV. I like that it has over the top gore again.  

News Comments > Battalion 1944 Announced
14. Re: Battalion 1944 Announced Feb 2, 2016, 19:12 DangerDog

canuck wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 17:06:
And you can't say everyone wants large scale battles. I for one, don't like the BF games because I find them really boring, running around trying to find people. I prefer the smaller maps, infantry only, where you can actually kill people quickly, in a fast paced environment.

Either way the bar has been raised by recent shooters, the only way to grab mass appeal would be to at least be on parity with them. You would need to have Saving Private Ryan level of fidelity of explosions and destruction.

If you can capture this in a game then you would have something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHn9UQHseG8

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced
9. Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced Feb 2, 2016, 18:17 DangerDog

It was quite comical hearing the excuse for EA not having any force awakens DLC for Battlefront. According to EA they're not allowed to mix old with new because of the contract with Disney, you have to remain in cannon for the period of time the game is set in.

9. Re: Battalion 1944 Announced Feb 2, 2016, 16:54 DangerDog

Sepharo wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 16:31:
I'm repostin my post from the original post.

The most important thing to get right in an MP shooter is the feel of the gunplay and movement. I'm using the word "feel" because there really isn't a better way to describe it. So it's commendable that these guys want to return to an unlock free, skill based MP shooter set in WW2, but if they don't get the feel down nobody is going to keep playing. I wish them luck.

That's the million dollar question though, how do you make a game that has the right "feel". Ask a call of duty player if they like the "feel" of battlefield or vice versa. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like most Unreal Engine games just use the default FPS camera setup and that makes many games made with it feel low budget.

6. Re: Battalion 1944 Announced Feb 2, 2016, 15:01 DangerDog

War isn't about being pretty, what we want in a WWII shooter is a large Battlefield like experience with over the top destruction of at least 64 player games.

But this doesn't look bad and it's to their advantage to keep the games small 5v5 matches because it's really hard to garner enough interest in this extremely competitive fps market.

Tripwire tried to do the larger scale WWII setting but it just didn't quite make it up the ranks of popularity. The hard core realism crowd is extremely niche.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 1, 2016, 21:18 DangerDog

I'm going to have to wait for the movie, should be interesting.  

News Comments > The Division Beta Extended
14. Re: The Division Beta Extended Feb 1, 2016, 16:11 DangerDog

I don't get how people are calling this an RPG either, sure you can buff stats with equipment that carries bonus perks but there's little to no interaction with NPC's and all the story bits are going to be in the form of recorded audio - even these "echo" spots on the map are just audio recordings with a ghost like still image made up of point geometry.

I've been lucky I guess, haven't crossed paths with cheaters.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2016, 05:01 DangerDog

Despite its simplicity The Division isn't a bad game, maybe they can fine tune some things before retail. I really hope they have a plan to deal with cheaters for the PvP portion, like send them all into a cheaters lobby where they can try to out cheat each other.  

News Comments > Sunday Previews
18. Re: Sunday Previews Jan 31, 2016, 21:38 DangerDog

Wetworks24 wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 21:27:
Played the beta for a couple hours and I'm not totally sold on it. The world felt empty and I was pretty bored with not much to do. Compared to a real MMO this game has a shockingly low number of quests. The environments are nothing more than pretty hallways you run down, there are only a handful of buildings that you can actually enter and explore.

The side missions feel like fluff you would encounter in games like Saint's Row. Only 10 main missions in the game is baffling. It looks pretty although no where near as good as the initial videos showcased.

I had that same feeling, some of the side missions do open up the inside of buildings though.

the initial video at E3 2012 was more a "this is what we hope it looks and plays like". I don't think they went horribly off-course with the visuals but the gameplay is rather repetitive. It really could use at least a little bit more survival aspects to it, needing to eat and drink etc.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
15. Re: Sunday Previews Jan 31, 2016, 20:53 DangerDog

disappointing about the lack of any form of cheat protection for PvP, that's a pretty big chunk of the game to give up.  

5709 Comments. 286 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo