Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 280 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Viruses Jul 8, 2005, 14:04 The Pyro

I've run my system without any anti-virus software for years and it's never been a problem. There are really only a few basic precautions you need to take:

1) Use a decent firewall
2) Keep your system patched and up to date
3) Don't browse using Internet Explorer
4) Don't read e-mail using Outlook
5) Don't execute strange attachments

I think the days of "old-school" viruses, which attached themselves onto .EXE files, have come and gone. All the major threats nowdays are from worms and new security vulnerabilities. The firewall and security updates ought to handle those kinda of threats just fine. And if Somebody Evil is targetting you directly, anti-virus software isn't going to help anyway; custom-built trojans and malware won't detected by anti-virus software.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Unreal 3 Licensing
38. Unreal Engine Fees May 11, 2005, 14:21 The Pyro

I think the price of the Unreal Engine these days is:

$350,000 + royalities

or

$750,000 lump sum

... and I think that both of the packages buy a good bit of support and training.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
17. Re: Not touching this Nov 12, 2004, 16:17 The Pyro

I'm not touching this. The last ATI drivers trashed my whole system.

Ditto.

If you have an ATI card and aren't currently experiencing problems, my advice to you is to remember the saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

30. Re: Misc Oct 14, 2004, 11:39 The Pyro

You can preload before purchasing? Didn't know that. I downloaded steam last week, had to set up an account. Clicked HL2 and it asked which one I wanted to buy, so I selected the $50 package (don't rembember if it was silver/whatever, but I only wanted HL2) and it asked for payment info before preloading.

At first, I was unable to figure out how to get Steam to preload HL2 without purchasing it. I couldn't find an option in the Steam interface to preload. Finally, I did a Google search and came up with a link to preload (steam required): steam://preload/220

Seems like an odd move for Valve. Why wouldn't they want people to preload first? It would be easier to suck people in that way. You're much more likely to download the game if it costs you nothing. And once you've spent several days downloading this sucker, who wouldn't then shell out the cash to buy it?

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Steam Release
110. In case this is useful Oct 12, 2004, 13:14 The Pyro

Just in case somebody else is having this problem:

I finally finished downloading C-S:Source, and was distressed to see that the game refused to run in full screen mode. It gave me some strange video error when it started.

Steam's support system wasn't helpful, but I managed to find a solution on a message board somewhere (forgot the link). You have to specify your preferred resolution and the refresh rate at that resolution when starting the game.

I used:
-width 1024 -refresh 120

(use the Properties of the game to set those launch parameters)

You'll obviously need to know what refresh rate your system will have at that particular resolution (it's not necessarily the same as your desktop refresh rate!). I used ReForce to get my refresh rate.

News Comments > ATI CATALYST Control Center
5. Re: net ? Sep 2, 2004, 13:15 The Pyro

.NET is sortof Microsoft's response to Java. It's Microsoft's own programming framework based on java-like technology (virtual machine, byte code, etc...).

Simply put... it's a huge download that you need in order to run programs that were written in .NET.

35. Re: Skill Trumps Luck Aug 7, 2004, 22:04 The Pyro

but you can also claim the non-winning tickets as a deduction

Erm... lottery tickets are tax deductible? That makes no sense whatsoever.

25. Skill Trumps Luck Aug 7, 2004, 18:08 The Pyro

It's going to be very sad when the Lotto guys realize that, after they pay the hefty taxes on their lottery winnings, they will have lost money

92. Doom 3 thoughts Aug 4, 2004, 16:48 The Pyro

Just finished the game. Did it live up to the hype?

The single player game definitely does. Graphics are incredible, and the sound is the best of any game yet. If Doom 3 doesn't frighten you, nothing will. 5.1 speakers are a must-have for this one... I got my $55 worth from the single player game.

Which is good, because the multiplayer sucks.

My framerate drops to roughly 30-40% of what it is in single player, making it just barely playable. The server browser is just plain lousy. Servers can only handle about 4 players max due to system requirements... which wouldn't be so bad, except that with only 2-4 people in a game, it's tough to find a server which is "consistent". As soon as a couple people leave the game, it becomes quite boring and you have to go find another server.

Compared to the rest of the game, multiplayer seems like a quickie that was added on at the last minute. Even the final voices - "You win" or "You lost" - sound poorly done. No polish at all.

But the single player is what they were focusing on, so I'd say they hit their mark. I hope other games using the Doom 3 engine are released soon, with decent multiplayer support.

- Roger

News Comments > DOOM 3 Q&As
24. Why so long? Jul 22, 2004, 23:39 The Pyro

"Multiplayer testing was something that we were focusing on pretty extensively at the end." - Tim Willits

Multiplayer...er...testing. Yeah, that's it.

4. Bubbles! Jul 10, 2004, 12:58 The Pyro

Rats, I got a high score of 1947, but the submit doesn't seem to work... just gets stuck on "processing..."

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Website
11. Re: Did Dungeon Siege do well? Apr 20, 2004, 10:28 The Pyro

DS was the reason I bought my pair of 3D glasses. DS looked absolutely incredible with them.

Alas, now I can't use them because they're not compatible with ATI video cards

News Comments > UT2004 Bonus Maps
41. Slap in the face to Epic Apr 2, 2004, 23:43 The Pyro

After all the hard work Epic put into making UT2004 run on Linux and Mac?! What a slap in the face to the poor Epic developers!

It's a LOT of extra work getting a game to run on multiple platforms, and I'm sure the payoff doesn't even come close to the extra development cost. It's disgusting that someone would try to undermine Epic's great platform independent work by releasing "XP only" maps. UT is NOT an XP-only game.

News Comments > BF1942 to Bust Punks
1. Punkbuster annoyances Dec 1, 2003, 16:21 The Pyro

Punkbuster has been the bane of my existance almost every time I try to play Quake 3 Arena multiplayer. I can't help but cringe when I hear that Punkbuster is being added to yet another game. Has anyone else had difficulties with it? Is the support more transparent in other game titles?

I only have Punkbuster experience via Quake 3 Arena, so I may not be getting the full picture.

There are two main frustrations I have with the software.

First of all, you have to EXIT the game in order to turn it off! If I'm playing on server A (with punkbuster enabled) and then want to switch to server B (without punkbuster), I can't just hop on... I have to completely exit the game and restart it. That's a completely unacceptable user experience.

Second of all... I have NEVER seen Punkbuster successfully update itself. Every single time they release an update, I can't play Q3A until I go off and manually update it. And it's not like I'm running some obscure configuration, here. Just a normal Q3A installation and the latest point release installed on top of it.

Do those two issues plague other titles? If so, I still don't think Punkbuster is ready for prime time... I'd rather compete with the occasional cheater than go through all the frustrations caused by the anti-cheat software.

News Comments > Registered DX: Invisible War Demo
68. Re: Demo problems Nov 22, 2003, 11:43 The Pyro

I just get a blank screen when I start it up...

Found a solution! I had DirectX 9.0a installed. Updating to DirectX 9.0b seems to have fixed it.

News Comments > Registered DX: Invisible War Demo
63. Demo problems Nov 22, 2003, 00:44 The Pyro

Can't get the demo to run :/

P4 2.8 GHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (3.9 Catalyst drivers, just installed)
512 MB RAM
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

I just get a blank screen when I start it up...

33. Re: man oh man Nov 10, 2003, 18:50 The Pyro

have people become so lazy/whiny that they even have to post a complaint about having to move their mouse three inches to shut off a pop-up?

I would have ignored this particular issue if it were something as simple as an inconvenient mouse click or even a slightly offensive ad.

However, the issue in question has prevented me from even accessing the site on at least one occasion. I think that Blue would want to be notified of such issues. The only reason I chose to post it here instead of simply emailing it is because I have seen similar ad complaints brought up in this space, and I assumed it was the norm.

18. Ad Issues Nov 10, 2003, 12:08 The Pyro

One of the ads on this site is causing my employer's content filter to block it, and has prevented me from viewing the site on at least one occasion. Considering the types of stuff that make it THROUGH the filter (hadn't even noticed we HAD a filter before now), it must be pretty darn offensive...

Here is a URL taken from the page's source on one of the occasions that an ad was blocked (although I was able to view the rest of the page this time):

Edit (by Blue): Okay, I've got the URL I removed from here... in the future, why don't you (and anyone else who's so inclined) send along such specific queries by email... no reason to break the forums for everyone to complain that the site is broken for you.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 12:27.

16. Re Unplugging The Matrix Nov 10, 2003, 11:50 The Pyro

That article is written more poorly than the movie it attempts to criticize.

I must say that I completely disagree. I found that the author feels EXACTLY the same way I do about why the 2nd and 3rd movies were somewhat disapointing, and he probably does a better job than I could ever do of verbalizing those complaints.

I'll admit that I don't understand all of the philisophical buzz words he uses, but I definitely agree with all of the other points. Thus I'm inclined to believe that I'd agree with the philisophical stuff too, if I knew what he was talking about

News Comments > Help Wanted
5. Descent! Descent! Nov 7, 2003, 10:09 The Pyro

I've been yearning for a new Descent-style game for ages now! Descent 3 was good and all, but there haven't been ANY new games like that in years... nobody taking advantage of recent advances in graphics technology, sound, CPU speeds...

My joystick is getting all dusty :/

280 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo