Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > id on Engine Licensing
26. Re: id on Engine Licensing May 13, 2009, 13:17 The Pyro

id has done some fine work in the past, but their engines seem to lack versatility. I would guess that id is just not motivated to put forth the tedious effort required to make an engine as complete as the Unreal engine. Granted, I don't work in the industry, but my impression of id's engines has been that they focus on one or two gimmicks in each version, and everything else is done to the minimum level needed for whatever FPS they release as the tech demo.

Quake 1 Gimmick: Full 3D
Quake 2 Gimmick: 3D accelerator support
Quake 3 Gimmick: Shaders
Doom 3 Gimmick: Unified lighting
RAGE Gimmick: Megatexture

Although the engines perform flawlessly, they don't come across as complete solutions. Meanwhile the Unreal engine throws in everything *including* the kitchen sink.

Yeah, yeah, I'm probably over-simplifying things a bit... but that's my general impression of how things have developed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New P.U.R.E.
4. Re: Spring Sep 22, 2008, 10:57 The Pyro

Isn't this basically another spring mod?

Essentially, yes. But the Spring developers are trying to draw a distinction between mods which are based off Total Annihiation content and mods which are completely independent of TA. Thus they use the term "mod" to only refer to packages containing TA-ish gameplay. Everything else is referred to as a "game" rather than a mod.

News Comments > CPL Closes
20. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 17:23 The Pyro

But instead the cable they gave back was less than they were given so they supposedly had to pay for the yardage that was lost.

Surely that's not a big issue. Ethernet cable is dirt, dirt cheap compared to other costs of running a big gaming event. If you're buying cable in bulk then you'd be foolish to pay more than a fraction of a dollar per foot. The last time I bought cable I paid $6 for 25 feet, and that's not even bulk.

Staff, electricity, renting a venue, prize money - all of those items should easily dwarf the cost of ethernet cables.

News Comments > John Carmack on Graphics Tech
13. Wow, that's a lot of work Mar 12, 2008, 16:24 The Pyro

Switching from a traditional rasterization approach to something voxel-based just sounds horribly work-intensive. So many of the development tools would need to be rewritten... and I can't imagine how content creation would work.

Although I guess you could create content in a traditional manner and then run the high-poly models through some sort of converter... just sounds kinda nuts, though!

Good luck with all that. I'd love to see a demo... but I'm not holding my breath.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 16:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Right Brain v Left Brain Oct 18, 2007, 11:49 The Pyro

Did they get the article backwards? I know for a fact that I'm an extremely left-brained person, yet I see the movement as clockwise. I haven't been able to switch directions yet.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Shipping costs Aug 17, 2007, 09:59 The Pyro

The Pentagon got scammed because of automated bill payment. Nobody was even looking at those invoices. That's exactly why I refuse to do automated bill payment at home... Hopefully by looking at the bills every month I have an extra layer of protection against fraud. People taking stuff out of my bank account automatically just scares me.

22. Wing Commander Jul 26, 2007, 16:12 The Pyro

If you liked Wing Commander, have you tried Freespace 2? I'd vote it as the best space combat sim of all time. With all the fan-made improvements to graphics and such it still looks quite modern.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Demo Tomorrow
26. And if it happens to suck... Feb 6, 2007, 11:10 The Pyro

...you can always come play Spring ( http://spring.clan-sy.com/ ), which is free and has many of the same features.

14. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2006, 13:42 The Pyro

Nitrogen Triiodide! That brings back memories...

I remember in my old BBS days there was this text file floating around, called The Terrorist's Handbook, which explained how to make Nitrogen Triiodide and all kinds of other fun toys. Or was it The Anarchist's Cookbook? Oh well, doesn't really matter.

In any case... kids, don't try this at home.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Samorost 2 Dec 9, 2005, 09:55 The Pyro

FYI, it's spelled "caveat" Latin isn't THAT dead.

23. Re: Harry Potter Nov 29, 2005, 15:53 The Pyro

Still, it's interesting why these people think the Narnia story is ok, while HP is not. I mean, it obviously can't be the presence of magic in itself.

You are correct - it's not the presense of magic in itself which bothers some Christians. It's the promotion of witchcraft. Even though, for the most part, the "witches" and "wizards" in Harry Potter bear very little resemblence to the real thing, the books have created a strong interest in Wicca/witchcraft among young children, and it has been documented that the number of young people experimenting with Wicca has exploded since the Harry Potter books were released.

Meanwhile, although Narnia is full of magic, the only witches (witch?) are obviously villains. And, as another poster already mentioned, the Narnia stories are full of Christian allegory.

Spoilers:
For example, Aslan, being innocent, allows himself to be sacrificed by the White Witch, taking the place of another guilty character. Aslan is then resurrected because of his innocence. This mirrors the death and resurrection of Jesus, and the fact that Jesus died for the sins of others.

2. Ah, thermite Nov 29, 2005, 10:27 The Pyro

I remember trying in vain to make the stuff as a middle-school kid, eager to destroy things in a spectacular fashion. Glad to see that somebody can get it to work

9. Wow Oct 13, 2005, 10:55 The Pyro

Good luck putting 16 kids through college.
16 x 20k per year x 4 years = $1,280,000

('Course with that many kids, you're sure to get some scholarships)

37. Quicksand is still deadly Sep 29, 2005, 16:29 The Pyro

Don't be so quick to jump into quicksand; while it may be true that you won't sink in all the way, I am still aware of cases where people have been killed by quicksand (or similar). It happens along coastlines; people get stuck in the quicksand and then drown when the tide comes in.

News Comments > Starships Unlimited III Announced
7. Re: Stars! Aug 31, 2005, 00:41 The Pyro

I played around with Stars! once, but I'm still hooked on VGA Planets, which I believe predated Stars! by a bit. First played it on a BBS back in '94, I think... yikes! I'm getting old.

8. Re: LCD vs Plasma Aug 15, 2005, 11:19 The Pyro

I agree with Zathrus. If I was going to spend a lot of money on a fancy TV, I'd go with DLP.

'Course, this is coming from a guy who doesn't even have cable, so take my opinion with a grain of salt

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Supreme Commander Jul 8, 2005, 15:02 The Pyro

Total Annihilation fans rejoice! The true successor has emerged at long last!

28. Viruses Jul 8, 2005, 14:04 The Pyro

I've run my system without any anti-virus software for years and it's never been a problem. There are really only a few basic precautions you need to take:

1) Use a decent firewall
2) Keep your system patched and up to date
3) Don't browse using Internet Explorer
4) Don't read e-mail using Outlook
5) Don't execute strange attachments

I think the days of "old-school" viruses, which attached themselves onto .EXE files, have come and gone. All the major threats nowdays are from worms and new security vulnerabilities. The firewall and security updates ought to handle those kinda of threats just fine. And if Somebody Evil is targetting you directly, anti-virus software isn't going to help anyway; custom-built trojans and malware won't detected by anti-virus software.

News Comments > More Unreal 3 Licensing
38. Unreal Engine Fees May 11, 2005, 14:21 The Pyro

I think the price of the Unreal Engine these days is:

$350,000 + royalities

or

$750,000 lump sum

... and I think that both of the packages buy a good bit of support and training.

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
17. Re: Not touching this Nov 12, 2004, 16:17 The Pyro

I'm not touching this. The last ATI drivers trashed my whole system.

Ditto.

If you have an ATI card and aren't currently experiencing problems, my advice to you is to remember the saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo