Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 18:27 The Pyro

The biggest complaints about MWO will not even be applicable to this title:

* P2W mechs (i.e. locked behind a pay wall)
* Power creep / hardpoint inflation (generally you want power creep in a single player campaign)
* Lack of [good] objective-based game modes
* Community warfare *ahem* issues

And the devs are a totally different team.

It's a different engine, but based on the Shadowhawk and the Raven in this video they're clearly sharing artwork between projects, and that gives them a significant head start to including a huge variety of mechs in the campaign. There are 72 totally different 3D mech models in MWO right now with more on the way. That's a nice head start.

I think they've got a fair shot at making a good game. Good luck to them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 18:16 The Pyro

Yes, there is a tiny risk to your own health if you get the vaccine. But there is a greater risk to everyone else's health if you don't get it.

It's not the 7 to 10 days of inconvenient flu symptoms you should be worried about. It's the elderly person or infant who dies because you accidentally spread the disease to them.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Free Mech
7. Re: MechWarrior Online Free Mech Nov 11, 2016, 14:12 The Pyro

Bumpy wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 13:00:
Meh, let me know where there is a single player campaign added.

I ain't played in several months now, but I would definitely come back for that. We know PGI was experimenting with AI-controlled stuff a while back. Hopefully their big announcement in December is actually big for a change

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Free Mech
4. Re: MechWarrior Online Free Mech Nov 11, 2016, 12:28 The Pyro

There's a free mech with no hoops. You just click the link and type in the code. The mech packs, which include multiple variants, are awarded as prizes to a handful of people. You gotta sign up to win those.

The whole promotion is just to raise awareness of the game prior to the big convention / tournament in December.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2016, 11:30 The Pyro

On that note, remember that there are still thousands of national guard members who have not received any of the money they were promised for re-upping. My brother is one of them: he signed on the dotted line, got shipped to another continent, and thankfully returned safely. But he still hasn't seen a cent from the promised bonus.

Raise a stink if you can!

153. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 14:41 The Pyro

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 14:05:
Why let them make a profit at all? WHat's the purpose?

Profit is essential to a capitalist economy like ours because it's the only incentive for new players to innovate in a stagnant industry.

Profits generally aren't a problem unless barriers to entry (i.e. monopolies, patents, etc...) prevent competitors from entering the marketplace and lowering costs. Drug patents certainly qualify here.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 14:09 The Pyro

I think I can guess how they obtained a bunch of monkeys with spinal cord injuries. Poor monkeys  

145. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 13:33 The Pyro

The main problem IMO is using a bunch of private insurers. Profit is always a motive.

I hear that a lot, but the evidence doesn't seem to support it. Private health insurance companies in the US have been performing terribly. They're pulling out of entire states because they're losing money. Somebody's making a profit here, but I'm not convinced it's the insurance guys.

EDIT: A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation based on public data makes me think that UHC (the largest insurer in the US) is making less than 5% profit on the premiums they charge. Feel free to fact check me, as I'm not confident about this number.

I should also note that in some places (like Texas) insurers are required by law to refund any profits above 10%. There's a cap on how greedy they can be.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2016, 13:43.

132. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 09:56 The Pyro

The Affordable Care Act is failing the middle class because it has done nothing to address the root of the issue: costs are out of control. Instead, the ACA just spreads the same outrageous prices around and allows the inflation to continue unabated.

Consider a medical procedure like having a baby. The cost of a routine vaginal delivery can exceed $20,000 in San Fransisco this year (and a C-section is twice that). The same service in other developed countries costs half or less. This is the problem that we desperately need to fix. The cost increases are unsustainable no matter how we try to pay for them.

Premiums have skyrocketed because people are using more health care - but we haven't brought the costs down at all.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 20:53 The Pyro

For the majority of Americans, it'll just be cheaper to pay the penalty.

'Course it is; the law says that the penalty cannot exceed the cost of the cheapest plan. Unfortunately the penalty doesn't actually benefit you in any way...

Alas, I'm considering the penalty anyway for next year. I don't qualify for any subsidies, and the cost of insuring my family is almost 20% of my paycheck - practically the same as my mortgage! - and that's just the extra cost for my family (i.e. not including me).

The penalty would be less than $3000 for the whole year, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a plan. And the savings would pay for a lot of health care, should we need it. To gamble or not to gamble, that is the question...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 13:30 The Pyro

Cutter wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 13:21:
I think most people would much rather return to the city-state and live somewhere that aligns with their views than constantly fight with the other half of people who don't.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Here in TX we have suburbs that lean to the right (politically speaking) while the inner city leans left. It's not like these people are in a different state; they're literally right down the road from you, just in a different neighborhood.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 10:41 The Pyro

Ultimately I think energy savings and maintenance costs will be a major motivator for the switch to autonomous fleet cars. Insurance costs are relatively small compared to those factors.

I do very little (read: basically none) of my own vehicle maintenance. I don't own the right tools, and I'm slow 'cuz I don't know what I'm doing. So instead you end up with a huge chain of inefficiencies and middle-men: duplicate sets of tools in garages, retail stores selling auto parts at big markups, and mechanics sitting around in shops waiting for the next customer to come in.

A big fleet can avoid those inefficiencies by buying their own parts in bulk, employing an optimal number of mechanics to service the number of vehicles they own, unifying makes and models within their fleet to reduce the number of different parts and experience they need, etc...

With intelligent scheduling, an AI can group passengers with similar destinations so that there's less wasted fuel and fewer cars on the road. Which in turn leads to better traffic conditions and maybe even lower costs of road maintenance.

It's a long way off, but it can work with today's technology and it would free up a lot of resources for other uses.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailer & Multiplayer Reveal
7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailer & Multiplayer Reveal Nov 7, 2016, 22:58 The Pyro

Rhett wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 21:49:
"Multiplayer Reveal" ... I got excited and disappointed in a matter of seconds.

TBH the ME3 multiplayer was pretty fun for me. It was just a standard survival-type thing with waves of (increasingly difficult) monsters, but I played quite a bit of it. And best of all, you could ignore it completely if you chose to.

It had micro transactions, which you could also ignore, but as long as those don't affect the main campaign then I'm fine with it.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 11:48 The Pyro

Bought my first brand-new car about 6 months ago. I used one of the trendy car-shopping web sites and foolishly gave them my real phone number (which was required to see the prices)... I swear, I must have received over a dozen calls from different salespeople at the same dealership. It was extremely irritating, especially since I don't have unlimited voice calling on my cell plan.

Eventually I went with a dealership that e-mailed me their offer instead of calling to "set up an appointment".

I think I got a decent deal, but I'm not sure if it was worth all the harassment

News Comments > "Lost" Left 4 Dead Campaign Released
7. Re: L4D1 Nov 7, 2016, 09:17 The Pyro

The first game is fun but I do not see a reason to keep it since the levels are on a better engine.

I haven't kept up with L4D news lately, but for a while some of the competitive players preferred L4D1 for balance reasons. Specifically, they complained about melee weapons (too easy to kill mobs), spitter/charger combos, and the scoring system which no longer awards a health bonus.

Oh! And you can't see your own feet in L4D2. Did that ever get fixed?

Most of the above items could probably be addressed via mods, of course. But for casual players there's really no reason to keep L4D1 installed.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 21:04 The Pyro

I tried Soylent powder, and while I eventually liked the product (the convenience is great, and you can add flavor as you wish), I admit that it initially gave me bad gas. My body had to get used to it; I think by the 3rd meal (one per day) I didn't have any more problems.

The base flavor is kinda bland, but a little bit of sweetener in each glass seemed to do the trick for me.

I had planned to buy some more, so I hope they work out their issues soon.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
89. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 14:30 The Pyro

Not sure I buy the 64 bit precision for seeing the spacestation from the planet.

Seems reasonable to me. I've encountered the same issue at work when trying to render small deviations in well boreholes within an oil field that might be spread over several square kilometers. You gotta use 64-bit precision coordinates or you'll get all sorts of strange jittering and artifacts.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
43. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 15:56 The Pyro

Has some sort of mouse acceleration

Seriously? I don't remember DX:HR having mandatory acceleration. I hope there's a way to disable it, otherwise this is a show-stopper for me. Mouse acceleration drives me absolutely insane.

News Comments > StarCraft HD Next Month?
7. Re: StarCraft HD Next Month? Aug 5, 2016, 11:25 The Pyro

Would it still have the 12-units-per-group restrictions? That was my biggest complaint about the original game. Even Total Annihilation, of the same era, allowed unlimited group sizes.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Alpha Video
7. Re: BATTLETECH Alpha Video Aug 4, 2016, 17:23 The Pyro

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 17:13:
Looking very cool. I'm not familiar with the tabletop rules. Is this a case where you want to use them in a game, or would it make sense to change them to better fit the media?

I'm sure they will modify the original rules in order to keep the game moving at a good pace. For example, you can tell from the video that they're mixing movement and weapons fire. But in the table top version, nobody shoots until everyone has moved - and then none of the hits take effect until after everyone has fired.

I trust their judgement, especially since Jordan is at the lead.

In any case, a lot of the original rules were written for dice. With computers there's just better ways to do things.

297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo