Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 10:11 The Pyro

erroneously called the longest day of the year

'Day' in this context refers to daytime, which is one of the dictionary definitions of the word 'day'. So the phrase 'longest day of the year' is a correct usage of the term.

Sorry, had to defend myself as I've used the phrase twice already this morning

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Trailer
5. Re: Mighty No. 9 Trailer May 25, 2016, 22:24 The Pyro

How many times has this been delayed? For this crap?

Final release date will end up being 14 months after the projected release date announced during the Kickstarter campaign. Could be worse... at least there's a game to release.

It suffered from feature creep IMO. They added support for several platforms that were never part of the pitch.

And the graphics have been noticeably downgraded since it was first shown. Honestly this looks like a 3DS title.

You're probably remembering concept art rather than in-game footage. AFAIK the game has always had very low-poly graphics. I agree that the concept art looked more appealing than what we ended up with, especially for Beck.

I played the demo several months ago. I didn't hate it. Graphically, I wish they'd gone with high-quality 2D rather than this low-poly 3D art style.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
9. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Apr 28, 2016, 21:13 The Pyro

The game looks fine, though I think their trailer editing/voiceover is boring

Is it just me, or do the lip movements look worse than the previous game?

News Comments > DOOM Trailer
8. Re: DOOM Trailer Apr 14, 2016, 22:25 The Pyro

No weapons pickups seems like an odd choice. It's been a while since I played a proper deathmatch game, but I remember a big part of the strategy was in controlling weapon spawns. If you take that away then what's left? Running around aimlessly?

I can't imagine it would be a fun experience to get fragged repeatedly by weapons you can't access without grinding for hours. You expect that garbage from F2P games, not id titles. Er... Bethesda.

News Comments > DOOM Trailer
15. Re: DOOM Trailer Mar 25, 2016, 09:28 The Pyro

Honestly, the last thing Carmack did that was great was the Quake 3 engine.

I think he deserves some credit for what he tried with the Doom 3 engine. It was one of the first games to really take a stab at universal per-pixel lighting. The game definitely had some great moments - I still love all the shadows and lighting effects from imps hurling fireballs in dark rooms. Unfortunately the hardware of the time couldn't quite handle Doom 3's demands, and id was forced to sacrifice quite a lot of other things (e.g. texture resolution) for performance reasons.

News Comments > Path of Exile Expansion & League Launch Tomorrow
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2016, 11:21 The Pyro

Free time is an illusion, exile!  

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
83. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 22, 2016, 18:30 The Pyro

saluk wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 17:19:
Fun watching all you old fogeys whining about how your black and white tv is just fine and you don't need to spend the $1000 for a color set.

You act like nobody's tried VR before. They have. From simple stereoscopic displays to more elaborate setups with head tracking, people have experimented with VR for *decades* now and it's never really caught on. Maybe this time will be different, but you can't fault people for being skeptical after so many failed attempts.

I owned a stereoscopic system 10 years ago. It worked quite well, and it was pretty fun at times... but there were many games I preferred playing without it, even if there weren't glaring technical issues.

Refresh rate was the biggest issue at the time. My monitor could only reach 90 Hz at decent resolutions, which left you with just 45 fps in stereo mode. Wasn't quite ready for silky-smooth gaming.

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
8. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 12:13 The Pyro

Ouch. At $400 my nerd-lust could just barely override the nagging "this is really expensive dumb idea" train of thought in the back of my mind. But I can't swing $600 - not right now, anyway. And certainly not on pre-order with no product reviews or information about game support.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
19. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 4, 2016, 17:33 The Pyro

Placid wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:10:
About how much will the Oculus Rift cost?

That's the big question... $400 is probably on the low side, though hopefully it's in the ball park. The bigger cost is the fancy PC you need to run it. You need a beefy video card (GTX 970 at the minimum) because VR requires high refresh rates and renders two images (one for each eye) at the same time, so it's also more than double the number of pixels of a 1080p display.

Older games might not need such beefy hardware, of course, but then they're also less likely to have great VR support to begin with.

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week
1. Re: PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week Dec 8, 2015, 20:47 The Pyro

My favorite FF ever! Unfortunately I've already played it so much that I don't think I could bring myself to do another run-through; there's just not that much character customization. Still, if you're nostalgic for JRPGs and never got around to trying FF6 then go for it!

I still listen to the orchestral versions of the music on a fairly regular basis. Some of Uematsu's best work IMO.

EDIT: Listen to Dancing Mad for example.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2015, 20:56.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam
23. Re: MechWarrior Online Coming to Steam Nov 14, 2015, 20:08 The Pyro

For the record, I'd love a great MW single player and or co-op experience, too, but that's just not what MWO is.

For what it's worth, single player is on the docket for 2016. Some of the groundwork was needed for the tutorial, anyway.

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
69. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 22:12 The Pyro

I understand the disappointment re: SLI given that it's a significant investment. But for me, the only issue mentioned here that's relevant is the mouse acceleration thing... which is inconvenient, but can be fixed via .ini changes.

That's a real head-scratcher for me, though, as I can't imagine their entire dev team plays with acceleration. Maybe QA or somebody made them remove it from the menu.

News Comments > EA Financials
2. Re: EA Financials Oct 29, 2015, 19:26 The Pyro

For the uninitiated, GAAP is "generally accepted accounting practices". So non-GAAP revenue is when you use all sorts of strange tricks to cook the books

News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
9. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 27, 2015, 19:53 The Pyro

Wait a minute... since when does the Library of Congress have legislative power? Sorry, too busy to RTFA  

14. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Oct 23, 2015, 18:06 The Pyro

peteham wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 17:43:
Problem is, my OCD won't allow me to skip it when it's such a huge source of both story/background *and* XP.

LOL you and me both. I can't resist the urge to hack absolutely everything. The mini-game is kinda fun anyway.

12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Oct 23, 2015, 17:21 The Pyro

Some of those sequences looked really choppy. I hope that doesn't indicate that the devs can't get decent framerates even when showing the game off. I suppose it could also be a video encoding issue.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Luck Video
11. Re: Fallout 4 Luck Video Oct 21, 2015, 18:05 The Pyro

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 16:04:
I still can't get over the system requirements on the AMD side of things. I fully expect to see either a giant nVidia logo or 'Fuck you, AMD' splash on the loading screen before the menu.

The system requirements look steep. Recommended processor is a Core i7 4790? That's basically the fastest consumer processor on the market now, right?

I want to try the game but I'm afraid I'll need a new PC to enjoy it properly. I've been squeaking by for too long...

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
132. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 22:32 The Pyro

I make a little over $100K and I don't have any of that stuff. Damn. How come your buddy is living so large?

A lesson for any young'uns browsing this board: cost of living is huge deal. $100k/year in Silicon Valley, for example, might buy you a cardboard box to live in. But in a modest neighborhood in a southern state, it's enough to live very comfortably while occasionally buying $900 spaceships.

Unless you have a big family

Family size matters a lot because health insurance is one of the biggest budget items for most households. If you're a bachelor who gets health insurance through his employer then you may not realize how expensive it is. For a family of 4 we're talking *at least* 10k per year, and that's with a high deductible plan that only pays out in case of a disaster. A nicer plan is more like $15k to $20k... if you're healthy.

Food for a whole family, multiple vehicles and associated maintenance, clothing for kids who are constantly outgrowing stuff, school supplies, extracurricular activities / sports fees and equiment, toys/entertainment/whatever to keep 'em out of your hair on occasion, cell phone plans for older ones... it adds up in a hurry. And don't forget to set some aside for weddings, college tuition (if you're so inclined), and retirement.

*shivers* and some families still have student loans to pay off.

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 in February
3. Re: Mighty No. 9 in February Sep 27, 2015, 08:06 The Pyro

KS backers were given access to a demo version on Friday and I finished it yesterday. It was a positive experience overall, considering I only paid $20 in the first place. I've enjoyed working out how to maximize my score on the levels provided. However, I was a bit disappointed that the transformations were removed until the full version comes out. Since that's one of the core features that was pitched on the Kickstarter, I can't imagine why they decided to strip it from the demo.

If you can still get it for $20, and if you happen to be a Mega Man fan, it'll probably be worth your time. The game has been polished pretty well, but it's not exactly AAA in terms of graphical quality. $20 is probably the upper limit of what it ought to sell for these days.

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Delayed
9. Re: Mighty No. 9 Delayed Aug 5, 2015, 08:19 The Pyro

UPDATE: Alas, I received an official e-mail this morning confirming that the project has been delayed They said they need more time to fix bugs with online features. Looking at a Q1 2016 release now.

TBH I don't remember "online features" being part of the original Kickstarter goals. It sucks when feature creep delays the only content that backers wanted in the first place and which is (according to Comcept) already finished.

My only consolation is that I can look forward to similar drama playing out in Star Citizen world...

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo