Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On July 10, 2000
Founding Supporter Silver, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 380 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.

3. Re: etc. Mar 30, 2020, 12:07  The Pyro 

Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:05:
Reminds me of playing Quake 2 on the college network.

Same problem in my dorm when we played Quake 2. My buddies ended up handicapping me - had to use hand grenades only. It was a fun challenge!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Offworld Trading Company and GoNNER for Free

4. Re: Get Offworld Trading Company and GoNNER for Free Mar 5, 2020, 19:49  The Pyro 

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 18:31:
Anyone play OTC? Any good?

It's a very fun RTS, but you gotta have a head for numbers (which is probably why it never took off). Compared to Starcraft, there's a lot more on-the-fly thinking because of the randomized maps and resource interactions; you can't just memorize a build order to carry you through the first five minutes.

The game can be very fast paced at times, but there's not as much micro per se. It's more about watching market fluctuations and what your opponents are doing in their bases.

The campaign and bot skirmishes can be paused or slowed down to your liking.

Also, I love the soundtrack.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2020, 15:46  The Pyro 

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 14:34:
I went to the site to check out the article he's referring to. No, that info is not in the opening text. I would have been pissed at that one as well.

My bad - there must have been two separate Star Wars articles when I checked. The one I saw was obviously not a big spoiler.

The spoilery-stuff in the other article isn't technically in the movie IIRC. They're sortof retconning things a bit.

Star Wars: TRoS SPOILERS BELOW:
In the movie, Palpatine is revealed to be Rey's grandfather. The retcon is that her father is a Palpatine clone.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2020, 14:24  The Pyro 

If the spoiler is what I think it is, don't sweat it. The info is literally in the opening crawl.  

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: RimWorld now on GOG.com Mar 4, 2020, 11:59  The Pyro 

And it's still never been on sale. Not once! I've been waiting so long to buy it at a discount that I've just about lost interest, lol...

EDIT: My brain must be weird or something? I'll literally wait over a year to save $10 on something like this, while simultaneously considering shelling out a few hundred bucks for a PlayStation to play the new FFVII game. I don't understand myself sometimes.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 12:08  The Pyro 

MacLeod wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 11:56:
Michael O'Hare (Sinclair), Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi), Richard Biggs (Franklin), Stephen Furst (Vir), Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar)...

So many actors that played main characters on Babylon 5 have passed.

Alas, that list was not exhaustive: Jeff Conaway (Zack, security chief) has also passed.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 11:48  The Pyro 

I had the chance to watch Color Out of Space in the theater. As a horror movie it was somewhat mediocre, but there were lots of Lovecraft references that fans will appreciate.The climax was visually amazing IMO - I'd be afraid to stream the movie, in fact, for fear that a lower bitrate might muddy some of the effects.

I'm looking forward to the director's next 2 Lovecraft films.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots

9. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 27, 2020, 13:41  The Pyro 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Delirium Next Month

9. Re: Path of Exile: Delirium Next Month Feb 26, 2020, 08:41  The Pyro 

The developers know exactly what's wrong with the game, and are already addressing those issues in PoE 2, but at the same time they know they can't fix the problems in PoE 1 without massive community backlash. So here's to a few more seasons of speed-clearing!

I took a break for only one 3-month season and already I feel lost, lol... Not sure if I'm going to jump back in or not. I don't enjoy leveling a new character, even if it "only" takes 8-10 hours for me. You spend at least 50% of your time just running from zone to zone without fighting (if you're efficient).

I do love delving, though... hmm...

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 14:44  The Pyro 

YOU MUST REGISTER!

Talk about opening up old wounds... I first played X-wing in '94 or so, and shortly thereafter our pet dachshund ripped the manual to shreds and ate part of it. We pieced the fragments together best we could, but some of the pages were just gone. Needless to say, I spent a fair amount of time re-launching X-Wing to get a different copy protection code check.

So yeah, I totally heard that in my head.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: esports reality TV show Feb 13, 2020, 11:57  The Pyro 

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that performing well on this show would be able to land you a spot on a competitive team. The winner of the show will probably need to be broadly talented across a variety of games, whereas a comp team member needs to be intimately familiar with a specific game. Although those are not mutually exclusive, the former does not imply the latter.

Maybe you're really good at shooters and can defeat a house of similarly talented gamers, but can you hold your own vs. a group of CS:GO pros who have memorized all the maps, common strategies, and know the weapons cold? That kind of comp-ready specialization takes hundreds of hours even after you learn to aim.

News Comments > Torchlight Frontiers Becomes Torchlight III; No Longer F2P

9. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Becomes Torchlight III; No Longer F2P Jan 27, 2020, 15:35  The Pyro 

Sounds like a tough decision for them. I commend their willingness to take feedback so seriously.

I didn't play the beta, but what I heard was that the horizontal progression system (i.e. your stats are gear are reset when you move to the next zone) was not received well. Looks like they've moved back to a traditional ARPG progression.

News Comments > CIG's Star Citizen Rebuttal to Crytek

16. Re: CIG's Star Citizen Rebuttal to Crytek Jan 20, 2020, 09:51  The Pyro 

Obligatory IANAL.

Eww, messy. The GLA grants CIG the right to use the engine for all features contained within the Star Citizen client. The GLA specifically mentions Squadon 42 as a feature, but if CIG breaks it off into a standalone game with its own client interface then that does indeed look like a violation of the agreement.

Technically you could probably work around that restriction by just wrapping everything up in a simplistic launcher, but if CIG intends to sell Squadron 42 as a standalone install then that looks like a clear violation of "the Game does not include any content being sold or marketed separately." DLC is allowable, but S42 doesn't look like DLC to me (at the moment) because CIG is selling a S42 package that doesn't even include Star Citizen as a download.

News Comments > Morning Multiplex

1. Re: Morning Multiplex Jan 16, 2020, 08:35  The Pyro 

So Valve is making L4D3 while Turtle Rock (makers of L4D) are working on a totally different 4-player zombie game (Back 4 Blood)? That sounds... contentious.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:51  The Pyro 

I converted an older laptop to Linux recently to avoid the obligatory Microsoft tax; the original hard drive had failed and the kids only use it for games anyway. I kinda regret that decision. I do a bit of Linux work at the office, so I was able to eventually get the system running the kid's favorites (e.g. Zoo Tycoon), but it was a major PITA. Neither the wi-fi nor Wine worked out-of-the-box on this machine for some reason, so there was quite a bit of googling and terminal commands before it began to play nice.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable working a Linux command line.

As far as OS upgrades, I don't recommend them. Even when they appear to work, you can end up having problems weeks or months later. Do a fresh install whenever possible.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation

25. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 6, 2020, 12:46  The Pyro 

that some frequently-used assets are duplicated upwards of hundreds of times to help with open-world streaming performance

I'm pretty sure this is only necessary when reading from optical media, not hard disks. Even magnetic hard drives are much faster.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 6, 2020, 09:34  The Pyro 

Apparently their "research" re: Jaskier consisted of reading uninformed social media comments for 5 minutes. Jaskier is the character's original name in the Polish books. It was changed to Dandelion in the English version because the literal translation (buttercup) sounds too feminine.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2020, 09:29  The Pyro 

I thoroughly enjoyed season 1 of the Witcher, but I did have to explain a few things to the wife who hasn't read the books. The time jumps were definitely confusing. On the one hand, it would have been nice to have a little caption e.g. "20 years ago" vs. "Present day" to set the scene. On the other hand, I think a little confusion was intended so that the audience would wonder about Geralt's whereabouts during the sack of Cintra. I kinda liked the ambiguity towards the end.

RIP first-time viewers who bought the The Wild Hunt only to have a major book/show plot point spoiled...

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released

19. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 14:16  The Pyro 

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 12:52:
Now I have a different problem. The textures look, really weird. Like there is a tiny grid running through them. It's weird, I can't explain it. Turning off sharepening fixes that, but then they just look muddy.

Sounds like you're describing the Contrast Adaptive Sharpening that gets applied as a post-processing step in order to fix blurry shadows that are rendered at a low resolution. The effect was visible in several official screenshots and, yes, it's ugly. It wasn't visible in all of the screenshots, though, so I'm not sure when it becomes an issue. At least you have a name for it now.

EDIT: This issue was discussed on OutreachHPG a few weeks ago, in case that helps.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2019, 14:33.

News Comments > Path of Exile 2 Announced

5. Re: Path of Exile 2 Announced Nov 15, 2019, 22:07  The Pyro 

Gotta admit I'm confused by the timing of this announcement.

The timing is certainly serendipitous with regards to Diablo 4, but this weekend is also the first ever Path of Exile convention. I'm sure they've been planning on this exact weekend for months.

380 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >