Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Fortnite Apocalypse
9. Re: Fortnite Apocalypse Oct 14, 2019, 15:16 The Pyro

Forgive my Fortnite ignorance, but is a new map really that exciting? The shooters I used to play had dozens of multiplayer maps, and fans were constantly pumping out new arenas. Inevitably the fan-created stuff would eventually equal or surpass the quality of official maps.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

General Discussion > Responsive layout
5. Re: Responsive layout Oct 9, 2019, 12:05 The Pyro

Beamer's sentiments echo my own exactly. I'll always prefer using a desktop when one's available, but congratulations on creating a mobile proof-of-concept that I don't immediately hate!  

News Comments > MageQuit Next Month
2. Re: MageQuit Next Month Sep 25, 2019, 14:48 The Pyro

RageQuit -> MageQuit

I get it, but I don't think it's catchy.

News Comments > Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com
14. Re: Freespace 2 Free on GOG.com Sep 25, 2019, 14:05 The Pyro

Nice! I still have the original CDs, but I'm happy to add this to my library so I can install from the cloud later if I need to.

FS2 is still my all-time favorite space sim. With a few mods installed it still holds up well IMO.

News Comments > Noita Early Access
4. Re: Noita Early Access Sep 25, 2019, 08:22 The Pyro

lol, love the recommended system requirements:

Processor: The more cores the better

News Comments > Best Games of the Century List
3. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 11:54 The Pyro

Half-Life 2 was certainly influential but IMO the mechanics and storytelling are not particularly noteworthy compared to more recent titles. I wouldn't have ranked it that highly. Meanwhile, counter-strike (in various forms) has been a premier competitive FPS for nearly 20 years now and it didn't even make the top 50?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 08:28 The Pyro

You aren't alone, Blue! I do stretching exercises daily to help with ongoing lower back / coccyx issues. It hasn't cured me yet, unfortunately, but it does bring some relief.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Blight Released
3. Re: Path of Exile: Blight Released Sep 6, 2019, 11:19 The Pyro

I'm not aware of any graphical revamps in this version. IIRC they're planning graphical upgrades for 4.0, most notably the player character models and animations.

There were some revamps in recent leagues, most notably a brand new lighting system (Delve league), better optimization for ground effects, and more realistic water/waves. Of those, the lighting effects made the biggest difference.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VIII - REMASTERED Released
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY VIII - REMASTERED Released Sep 4, 2019, 09:03 The Pyro

I'm hoping some of the fan-created mods (i.e. upscaled backgrounds) from the original PC port can be migrated to this version. It would be nice to play with a speed boost to mitigate the rather grindy magic draw system, and the revised character models do look nice. But yeah, this offering is slightly underwhelming.

FFVIII's score has a few of the best tracks in the entire franchise but the gameplay was below-average IMO. Not terrible, but not great, either. The Kid will probably make me play it eventually, though, as we've been going through the entire series (not in order).

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive
3. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed Again; Epic Games Store Exclusive Jul 25, 2019, 14:02 The Pyro

The delay is small potatoes, it's the EGS-exclusivity that will bite them.

Sigh, the last thing PGI needed was another PR disaster like this. What the hell were they thinking? Is an extra 15% worth all this bad press?

Yes, I have checked the archived version of the Mechwarrior 5 site. It specifically mentioned a Steam key in the preorder FAQ.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 25, 2019, 11:02 The Pyro

I don't see how their business model works. I assumed they would charge a fee to pick up and deliver you food, but every restaurant shows free delivery.

I would guess that DoorDash collects data about what kinds of food you buy and then sells your personal information to marketing companies. Then you start seeing targeted ads for Taco Bell in your browser.

That's probably not enough revenue to fully fund deliveries and R&D, so they're burning through a lot of venture capital in the meantime while waiting for self-driving cars to miraculously save their business from imploding.

News Comments > Robo Instructus Released
2. Re: Robo Instructus Released Jul 17, 2019, 19:11 The Pyro

This looks more polished than similar programming games I've tried in the past. Syntax highlighting and tab completion are a welcome addition. Snagged a copy for the kid - will write a review in a week or so once we've played beyond the simple stuff.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support
15. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:02 The Pyro

Nifty reflections on the floor. OK. If the game can still run at 60 fps then I might leave them turned on.  

News Comments > Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week
18. Re: Free QUAKE II RTX Next Week May 28, 2019, 10:32 The Pyro

Gloom

Gloom! Wasted so many hours on that. Skipped classes to make custom maps (mines-1 was my fault, sorry about that). Alas, I doubt Gloom would work with the ray-tracing stuff. I think Gloom eventually went to its own standalone client? Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Tremulous...

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
29. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 13:22 The Pyro

Midnight wrote on May 16, 2019, 12:02:
No categories, no tags, just a bunch of thumbnails which tell you nothing about what kind of games you're looking at.

Can you really call it a thumbnail when uses up more than half the vertical space in your browser window? Ugh, I hate modern web design sometimes. Can barely see more than 3 games on the screen at once.

News Comments > Get Age of Wonders III for Free
4. Re: Get Age of Wonders III for Free May 9, 2019, 20:04 The Pyro

I already own it, but I figured I'd drop my endorsement 'cuz I enjoyed the game so much. It's a great little 4x with a strong focus on tactical combat. The graphics have aged remarkably well; the proceduraly-generated maps are quite attractive IMO.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 7, 2019, 08:42 The Pyro

BlizzCon 2019 tickets revolve around invasive, poorly reviewed smartphone app.

C'mon, guys, it's been hours since this story was posted. I was really hoping for some zingers! Too easy?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 15:46 The Pyro

Unfortunately, for me GoT is wrapping up in about the same way as Lost. It's an ending, but it's not a very satisfying one because they haven't wrapped up all the various plot lines (the return of magic, birth of the dragons, the significance of the comet, the return of the others, R'hllor, why anyone should care about saving the three-eyed raven) in a way that makes sense. There are no new insights into why these things happened; it's like the writers just threw in a bunch of stuff that sounded cool.

Admittedly I've been spoiled lately by reading Sanderson novels. Endings are among the strongest qualities of his work.

EDIT: I enjoyed the opening scenes and the tension quite a bit. There was some good cinematography in there. The darkness complaints I also totally understand; streaming viewers got shafted by video compression at low bitrates. The compression algorithms turn dark stuff into a blotchy, muddy mess.

News Comments > Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform
3. Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 11:33 The Pyro

After Dungeon Siege (of no loading screens fame) I have huge respect for his architectural prowess. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

I'm also curious about which aspect of the processing takes place on the server. Traditionally RTS games have been lock-step peer-to-peer simulations to keep data transfer to a minimum. Perhaps that's no longer necessary with modern bandwidth capabilities?

News Comments > Path of Exile Melee Change Plans
8. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 09:38 The Pyro

Melee attacks are in a tough spot because PoE has evolved into a game that's all about speed and avoiding huge attacks. Melee kinda sucks at both of those things. You need to be close to monsters to hit them, which means you waste a lot more time zig-zagging between packs rather than firing off one spell and melting the entire screen. Melee characters are constantly in-range of all the nastiest attacks that bosses can throw at them. Eventually you get locked into an attack animation at an unfortunate moment, eat a huge slam, get randomly crit, and die.

It doesn't help that GGG has released a number of non-melee skills (e.g. brands) that trivialize offensive mechanics to the point where you're literally just running past monsters to kill them. You've got all the time in the world to dodge or just keep going fast.

The most competitive form of the game tends to be races (i.e. first to level 90), and I don't think we've seen top racers go melee in quite a while. For good reason.

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo