Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 320 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Flashpoint and Season Pass Details
8. Re: BATTLETECH Flashpoint and Season Pass Details Oct 19, 2018, 16:37 The Pyro

Full game is $40, full stop. None of those extras will affect your playthrough in the slightest. I don't consider unreleased DLC to be part of the full game.

This is part of an ongoing trend of offering huge bundles just for the sake of offering a huge bundle. Enthusiastic fans will want to support their favorite franchise, and a few OCD buyers will feel compelled to purchase the "best" version, so the marketing guys make sure that an expensive bundle is available.

FYI: The account stuff is only applicable to multiplayer. You don't need an account to play the single-player game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties
7. Re: The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties Oct 2, 2018, 11:52 The Pyro

CDPR took all the risk here by paying cash up front to develop a product whose success was uncertain. Sapkowski refused to bear any of that risk, and demanded full payment regardless of the outcome. It doesn't seem fair to demand renegotiation now that there is no more risk.

If royalties are eventually awarded then I hope they at least subtract the original flat fee multiplied by very hefty compound interest. The fee was negotiated higher with the understanding that there would be no royalties.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 29, 2018, 12:58 The Pyro

Of course it's a feature. Though maybe 'replayable' is a poor word to describe it.

What we want to capture is this: how many hours of enjoyment do I get before I start feeling like I've experienced everything that the game has to offer?

For a game like Pong, the answer is very close to zero. The rules never change, the mechanics never change, nothing. The enjoyment would drop to zero after the first volley if not for your own (albeit shallow) skill progression.

Tetris is slightly better because the pieces drop in random order (more possibilities to experience), and your own skill also improves slower. Even with randomized content, though, replay value is not infinite. The rate at which you experience novel combinations of pieces will eventually drop near to zero.

RPGs scratch the replay itch quite well because you're constantly experiencing new content (a variety of items, monsters, locations) as the story progresses. Starting over with a different character lets you experience divergent story lines, and maybe some different play styles as well. Randomized encounters and loot drops help, too.

Multiplayer experiences can go either way, frankly. The question is whether the people you encounter are interacting in novel ways or just being obnoxious jerks. I think we've all had a mountain of experience with obnoxious jerks, so players like that add exactly zero to the replay value. On the other hand, players who explore and perfect new stragegies together - either PvE or PvP - will typically have a good time.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 3, 2018, 13:57 The Pyro

I wish the interviewee had talked about specific issues and why they didn't fix them. Thee game's budget was supposedly more than double ME3's - surely you can't blame all the problems on resources?  

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
58. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 29, 2018, 15:17 The Pyro

I'm not even sure that fits the legal definition of laundering but that's what I think of

Yes, that would qualify. Money laundering entails covering up the original source of your money by funneling it through some sort of "legitimate" enterprise.

Star Citizen is probably not a money laundering scheme because that would imply that they've got some sort of illegal income that suddenly looks more legitimate as payments from random strangers in return for luxury virtual starships.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announcement Monday?
15. Re: RAGE 2 Announcement Monday? May 11, 2018, 12:36 The Pyro

id's megatexture technology was first introduced in RAGE, but they've clearly made some improvements since then because nobody complained about it in Doom 4. Graphics cards ship with much more VRAM these days, and that was a primary contributor to RAGE's horrible pop-in.  

News Comments > Wal-Mart Lists Just Cause 4, Borderlands 3, Rage 2, and More
6. Re: Wal-Mart Lists Just Cause 4, Borderlands 3, Rage 2, and More May 10, 2018, 07:29 The Pyro

Don't forget the Final Fantasy VII remake! I guess technically it's already been announced, but wasn't the project in development limbo for a while?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Scarlett Johansson Accidentally Flashed a Stranger on a Plane Apr 26, 2018, 13:47 The Pyro

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 11:58:
We'll get the next GoT book when Martin dies and his estate hires someone else to finish the book. Probably Brandon Sanderson.

Sanderson has already stated that he's not willing to finish ASOIAF due to the graphic nature of the content. It's not really his writing style, either.

Though he's definitely a contender in the word count department

GoT (the TV show) has followed a much less interesting path the last few seasons compared to the complexities of the book's plots and characters, but I'm afraid it's the only chance of a conclusion to the story.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
22. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 11:42 The Pyro

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 11:29:
For those who don't know, you should read Eck's guide...

Very helpful guide, thanks for linking it!

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
17. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 08:53 The Pyro

Thoroughly enjoying the gameplay so far, though the game is not without flaws. Load times are slow on my SSD. Players unfamiliar with the Battletech table top game will easily miss out on a some of the strategic depth because the tutorial is minimal. The mechanics are not fully explained in-game, and the UI, despite having very polished visuals, doesn't do a great job of showing all the important consequences of specific moves.  

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans
8. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 20, 2018, 08:38 The Pyro

Are they actually running ray-traced ambient occlusion in real time? That's extremely impressive. None of the scene geometry was moving around, though, so I can't tell if the ambient occlusion was pre-baked or not.  

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes
21. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes Mar 16, 2018, 12:48 The Pyro

Goodtry wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 00:20:
What's wrong with Mechwarrior online?

I played MWO regularly for 3 years or so since closed beta. I had a lot of fun; the core gameplay is solid, and it's very rewarding to play with a committed team on voice comms. But frankly their F2P business model has had several negative repercussions. In no particular order:

- The game is extremely grindy unless you've got deep pockets
- Power creep has made the game P2W at times because the newest mechs (which are often OP) are only available to paying customers
- There's not much variety in the game modes, and FW (Faction Warfare, the persistent universe) is basically a ghost town
- PGI seems to cater to the most mediocre players when making balance decisions, presumably to keep the dollars flowing

There's a new 1 vs 1 game mode coming soon, though, and I might try it out.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
14. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Mar 15, 2018, 09:03 The Pyro

The beta has been available to anyone who backed the game.

The lowest two backer levels ($25 and $35) did not include access to the beta. Also, the beta only included Skirmish mode i.e. random fights outside a campaign setting.

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
13. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 12:58 The Pyro

Gun lobby desperately searches for a scapegoat that is not guns.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week
6. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One Next Week Feb 20, 2018, 11:29 The Pyro

So I basically just want a more modern version of Freespace 2. A single-player space combat sim with fun scripted missions and an engaging story line. Has anything like that been produced in the last 5 years?

I had hopes for Star Citizen's initial goals, but the scope of that game seems to have grown beyond what I think I'd enjoy.

News Comments > Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month
10. Re: Path of Exile Bestiary League Next Month Feb 16, 2018, 14:04 The Pyro

Six-linking an item of your choice is very expensive. But if you just want any old six-link, you can farm the Humility card in the Blood Aqueducts and turn in a full set for a Tabula. This doesn't take too long, and no trading is required. This approach takes 1 or 2 hours, depending on your clear speed.

The *fastest* way to get a 6-link is to purchase a Tabula or a failed Vaal armor from another player. Vaal orbs have a small chance to reroll your item and possibly 6-link it, so there are generally a good number of Vaal'd items with 6 links up for sale at any given time. You can't change the socket colors, though, so you gotta search for the right combination for your build. This method will cost you as little as 10 to 15 chaos orbs. You can get chaos orbs easily using the chaos recipe.

Unless you play a lot, it's very expensive to six-link an item of your choosing. It's a 1-in-1000 chance when using an Orb of Fusing, and those are difficult to acquire in bulk without trading for them. That's like 30 hours of grinding at my (admittedly casual) pace? If you don't want to trade, you can acquire 6-socket items and vendor them for 7 jeweler orbs, which can be used to buy fusings directly from NPCs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2017, 10:40 The Pyro

Good luck with that, Blue! For me a sore throat just means that it's October.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
19. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 09:39 The Pyro

Loot games will always feel like the loot sucks and it takes too long to gear up your character. It just comes down to math. The quality of each drop is basically distributed on a bell curve. The longer you play, the more your existing equipment gets shifted toward the tail end of that curve... which means it becomes exponentially more unlikely to find even better gear.

The situation is improved somewhat while you're still leveling, because that puts constant upward pressure on the quality of the drops.

Now that's certainly an argument to be made that perhaps the game should hide low-quality loot. Path of Exile uses detailed, customizable loot filters for this very reason. But even in that community there are big differences of opinion on what kinds of loot ought to be hidden, and the criteria varies quite a bit between characters. I don't think that's necessarily a good direction for Borderlands to take, given that Borderlands caters a (slightly?) more casual audience. Additionally, customizable loot filters seem like a ridiculous solution for consoles.

At the end of the day, though, there are a lot of players who get a huge thrill out of smashing loot piņatas, even if most of the loot is crap. Lootsplosions will trigger the reward center of your brain consistently.

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
11. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 11:20 The Pyro

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 11:01:
Also, I feel like some here pick and choose their battles oddly...What everyone here says is "you're better off not trying!"

No, that's an oversimplification. What has been said is that you're better off not trying IF you don't have the resources (read: people) to do a good job, and if the job in question is not a core part of the game.

Animations are a core part of the game in Mass Effect. Players have high expectations because of previous games in the franchise, and because of other recent gaming experiences. Nearly 100% of your audience expects good animation, and if you fail to deliver good animation then the entire experience suffers. If you don't have the talent to make decent animations then you need to hire better talent.

Diverse NPCs are a nice-to-have at best. A few people will complain if their favorite lifestyle / culture / gender / whatever is not represented, but these complains are a small part of target audience. Most players don't care if there's a transgeneder character. But they DO care when other core aspects of the game are negatively affected: immersion, character development, plot, etc...

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
8. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 26, 2017, 15:26 The Pyro

"Same Timeless Gameplay" - I assume this means they're keeping the 12-unit group maximum?  

320 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo