Limit Results:

80 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 16, 2021, 12:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2021, 12:40
Sep 16, 2021, 12:40

A nasal oxytocin spray might curtail dominant behavior in psychopaths

As measured by things such as quickness to avert their gaze from an angry face.

So, just the thing for an oppressive fascist state?

Yay?

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Sep 13, 2021, 12:16
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 13, 2021, 12:16
Sep 13, 2021, 12:16

Hm.

Firefox does get faster after the first start after booting the computer. And I wait until all of the other processes settle down for a while before even trying to start Firefox the first time.

Part of the issue might be my antivirus. Although Task Manager claims that it's mainly Firefox using full disk capacity. It can take over a minute before Firefox is fully loaded and usable for that first launch. Sometimes well over a minute.

My antivirus also has an obnoxious habit of waiting exactly until I try to connect to my VPN before deciding update. Even if I wait half an hour before trying. I'm sure it's just coincidence that they also keep trying to sell me their own VPN service...

Maybe it's just time to switch antivirus.

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Sep 12, 2021, 23:50
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 12, 2021, 23:50
Sep 12, 2021, 23:50

Yeah, about ready to give up on Firefox and try Brave.

I start my laptop up now and then try to open Firefox. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.

In Task Manager for Firefox, hard drive going at 100% for ages. Computer is half bricked so I can't do much else until it finally loads.

At least they recently reduced the amount of time that it took the process to shut down after you closed it. It was frequently taking minutes.

Especially disturbing since it's set to clear cache after shut down. For a while, it looked like it was shut down but really wasn't so if you opened a new window, cache and cookies weren't really cleared. They also ditched the popup dialog saying that it was already open.

At least they finally brought the feedback mechanism back. For years, if you tried to click the Submit Feedback option in Firefox you would just get a message saying it doesn't work and they were considering what to do about feedback. I'm surprised that part wasn't mentioned in the article.

Sep 8, 2021, 13:33
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2021, 13:33
Sep 8, 2021, 13:33

Well, watch those Star Trek shows quickly. Netflix is removing the bulk of the Start Trek shows over the next month.

Re: Morning Previews
Sep 8, 2021, 13:25
Re: Morning Previews Sep 8, 2021, 13:25
Sep 8, 2021, 13:25

Forza Horizon 5 Reveals a Huge Car List, and It's Not Even Complete - IGN

And yet just about every last one is recycled content from previous Forza games.

They keep removing content only to try and sell it back to people who already own it.

Even much of the DLC cars.

Forget that. Haven't bothered with Forza for years.

Re: Evening Safety Dance
Sep 7, 2021, 22:08
Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 7, 2021, 22:08
Sep 7, 2021, 22:08

I guess if you want to mess with hardware detection, you could browse from within a Virtualbox or VMware linux window running inside your regular OS and just keep default hardware settings. Don't mess with things like fonts.

Not sure how much that would really anonymize you, though. It would depend on the number of other people doing the same thing.

Also haven't really looked at how much the default virtual hardware differs between VMware and Virtualbox.

Sep 7, 2021, 12:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2021, 12:52
Sep 7, 2021, 12:52

10 musicians who refused to let "Weird Al" Yankovic parody their songs

Wait a minute. I remember him parodying Prince in a video. The one with Weird AL yelling "Lookout! Lookout! Lookout!" whenever Prince drove the motorcycle. It was also the one with Prince getting up out of the bath tub and Weird Al yelling "No, really! That's ok!".

I'm trying to remember which song it was. I was up too late working last night.

Sep 3, 2021, 13:06
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2021, 13:06
Sep 3, 2021, 13:06

Firefly launches its first rocket, but loses the launch craft in mid-flight explosion

"This is the captain... We may experience some slight turbulence and then explode."

Re: Morning Multiplex
Aug 30, 2021, 13:01
Re: Morning Multiplex Aug 30, 2021, 13:01
Aug 30, 2021, 13:01

Roman Empire Wars - Gameplay Trailer

Looks very interesting but that doesn't look like a real gameplay trailer.

Also, to nitpick, Roman troops weren't supposed to enter the city like they show at that parade at the end. I guess that could be some other town, though.

I'm also curious about that other game being developed by the same group: Barbarian Simulator.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Aug 30, 2021, 12:56
Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 30, 2021, 12:56
Aug 30, 2021, 12:56

China implements new policy that only allows minors to play games for one hour on Fridays, weekends, and holidays]

Eesh.

China is an enormous market now. I wonder if this might shift the market at least slightly towards more single player offline games. Or at least slightly discourage those obnoxious must-be-connected-even-for-single-player games.

Aug 25, 2021, 12:40
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2021, 12:40
Aug 25, 2021, 12:40

Introverts Actually Understand People Way Better Than Extroverts Do, Yale Study Shows

Heh. That's exactly why they tend to not want to be around most people.

Yeah, the study backs up the notion that loud people who obsessively seek out leadership positions frequently tend to be the last ones in the world who should be placed in them. Their judgement is often consistently bad. Not to mention the power trip and overinflated ego tendencies.

Re: Enhanced Quake Released
Aug 19, 2021, 22:05
Re: Enhanced Quake Released Aug 19, 2021, 22:05
Aug 19, 2021, 22:05

Hm.

From the release notes:
Are existing mods supported on PC?

The PC enhanced version will load any mod that the original version supported (when existing mods have been placed in the game install directory). However it will not support some mods that require a new/different source port from the original game

Oh, and if you have issues with Vulkan as many are, there is a hidden DX11 mode.
Add +r_rhirenderfamily d3d11 to the launch parameters.

Re: Evening Mobilization
Aug 16, 2021, 23:41
Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2021, 23:41
Aug 16, 2021, 23:41

Have you looked at Sager/Clevo models?

Hm. Lots of power. Still much more expensive than I want. I don't see an ethernet port either.

I've pretty much given up on the DVD. I'm still surprised at how few laptops have ethernet ports now.

I have to pull huge data files off the network so an ethernet port is sort of a must.

I guess I could get an external DVD player. Sort of a nuisance but no getting around it these days. I have frequent access to what may be the largest publicly available DVD collection on the planet. The number of titles easily dwarfs most of the top streaming libraries combined and has tons of stuff that just isn't available online.

I did just see a used big monster newer laptop with everything that I want for about the same price as my current one (minus the DVD drive).

Re: Evening Mobilization
Aug 16, 2021, 21:59
Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2021, 21:59
Aug 16, 2021, 21:59

Yeah, I didn't realize how much I lucked out several years ago when I bought mine on sale. Not much like it now. Closest ones to it cost at least 2 or 3 times as much or more.

Cheap ($699), still had a DVD drive, all kinds of ports and memory stick slots, 17.3 inch screen, 1TB of storage, good battery, 2 GPU's (one non-gaming one that uses much less power plus a much better integrated 3D gaming one with it's own memory), and no ridiculous power wasting LEDs lighting everything up.

It is big and heavy, though. Not ideal to lug around with other stuff but it is manageable.

I just started looking around at possible replacements and have just about given up. It will still play things but I'm having to turn down settings on some of the newer games.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think laptop makers are far too obsessed with trimming off every last millimeter. I'd rather have the extra ability and also not have it overheat.

One trick I learned for very hot days is to prop some wedges underneath the feet of the laptop to give it more ventilation.

I love the idea of upgradable laptops but the ones that I've seen tend to be too small, under-powered and expensive.

If I could just replace the GPU on mine, I'd be set.

Maybe after the chip and the GPU shortage ends...

Re: Game Guidance
Aug 14, 2021, 15:42
Re: Game Guidance Aug 14, 2021, 15:42
Aug 14, 2021, 15:42

It says nothing about all the people who can't even launch the game.

Re: Evening Safety Dance
Aug 10, 2021, 22:31
Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 10, 2021, 22:31
Aug 10, 2021, 22:31

Microsoft patches are crashing for a lot of people today.

At least for ones that I know.

Re: Wreckfest Carmageddon Tournament Update
Aug 4, 2021, 12:45
Re: Wreckfest Carmageddon Tournament Update Aug 4, 2021, 12:45
Aug 4, 2021, 12:45

Yeah, the game engine and artwork and design of the regular game are incredible. It's a very fun game and also quite versatile.

The video here uses the old throwback graphics and levels from Carmageddon and still manages to make it look good.

There was a slight glitch launching this while the devs were on vacation. It should get fixed soon.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Jul 30, 2021, 11:58
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2021, 11:58
Jul 30, 2021, 11:58

Disney has really started to screw over certain categories of writers in the last few years.

They have no leg to stand on legally but large wealthy corporations can intimidate others through the threat of years of massive legal fees.

Basically, they're doing it because they can. I wish there was a more realistic way of holding individual executives responsible for illegal acts through either civil or criminal legal means. I'm not holding my breath though.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2021, 16:12.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jul 28, 2021, 21:35
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 28, 2021, 21:35
Jul 28, 2021, 21:35

Disturbingly, Ajit Pai was originally an Obama appointee.

Obama did some good things but good grief a lot of his appointments were awful.

Re: Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Stories
Jul 28, 2021, 20:05
Re: Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Stories Jul 28, 2021, 20:05
Jul 28, 2021, 20:05

I'm surprised no one is bringing up the other horrible things Blizzard has done that lend credence to these claims.

One of the creepier ones was was they did to the Hong Kong player who won the big international e-sports championship after it was found out that he happened to have mentioned support for the democracy movement there. Blizzard disqualified him and took back his winnings and also banned him. They didn't want China offended.

After a massive protest against it and enough bad publicity of their horrible handling of things, Blizzard kept him banned for "only" half a year and gave him his winning back.

The list goes on from there.

I haven't bought or played a Blizzard title in years. No plans on changing that.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2021, 21:27.
80 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older