User information for Alfred Thein

Real Name
Alfred Thein
Nickname
A_Thein
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Former Northam inhabitant, now living in SEA.
Homepage
Signed On
August 14, 2020
Supporter
-
Total Posts
24 (Suspect)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Thanks
Jan 6, 2022, 01:30
Thanks Jan 6, 2022, 01:30
Jan 6, 2022, 01:30

This thread really warmed my heart. The concern you show to a virtual stranger and the empathy to their struggle is frankly bringing me to tears. Thank you for showing me the good side of humanity during this difficult time.

I wish everyone a safe, happy and healthy 2022.

As for Burma, our civil war is heating up. There are daily massacres from the army (burning people alive, torturing them to death, air strikes on villages, arrests of doctors/nurses, arrests of family members of suspected rebels etc.) but now the entire country is either in active revolt (training in the jungles and conducting partisan operations in loosely organized cells) or doing their best to survive the chaos. There has been many bombings and assassinations against the junta and despite their propaganda machine (which worked in the past as many Burmese had no idea how brutal the army actually was) going full strength, no one is believing their BS.

Basically we as a country and as a society are at a crossroads. Some of us still wish (vainly) for foreign intervention but many of us are now fighting and dying for our right to self-determine.

Thanks again for the messages of support and general kindness. It is greatly appreciated.

Re: Marvel MMOG Plans Revived?
Nov 29, 2021, 03:23
Re: Marvel MMOG Plans Revived? Nov 29, 2021, 03:23
Nov 29, 2021, 03:23

Yea this new fan project seems to be pretty balanced as well as adding new/planned features that were not released during the retail Cryptic to NCSoft eras. I'm enjoying it despite the terrible lag.

Re: Marvel MMOG Plans Revived?
Nov 28, 2021, 21:26
Re: Marvel MMOG Plans Revived? Nov 28, 2021, 21:26
Nov 28, 2021, 21:26

Maybe they can just update City of Heroes Homecoming and pay the community leaders to further develop it. Its still fun when I played, the only reason I stopped was due to RL issues and latency in SEA being too high to play with NorthAm community servers.

Re: Blizzard DDOS Attacks End
Nov 25, 2021, 20:20
Re: Blizzard DDOS Attacks End Nov 25, 2021, 20:20
Nov 25, 2021, 20:20

As someone who has been attacking the Myanmar Government sites and their military servers since October, I can definitely tell you that DDOS attacks are very cheap considering the damage they can cause. Mind you the Burmese government has no idea of actual cybersecurity in comparison to blizzard, but the basis of DDOS and DOS has been constant for decades. Botnets can be purchased for very cheap especially in Russia/Asia. It has costs me about $200 since October to keep many Myanmar govt/e-commerce sites mostly downed.

Not advocating DDOS attacks fyi, I'm doing it as part of a resistance against an actual tyranny. My guess is this is just the typical angry gamer DDOS against blizzard, it happens every now and then.

Re: Get The Escapists for Free
Sep 24, 2021, 01:22
Re: Get The Escapists for Free Sep 24, 2021, 01:22
Sep 24, 2021, 01:22

Look the epic games store client is shitty and poorly designed but it is not spyware. That's been debunked many many times

Also I saw the initial reddit posts years ago and the guy who posted it even said more or less he has no idea what he is talking about..

It's ultimately your choice, but imho I'm pretty sure it is not malware. Just programmed poorly.

Re: Jagged Alliance 3 Announced
Sep 17, 2021, 23:47
Re: Jagged Alliance 3 Announced Sep 17, 2021, 23:47
Sep 17, 2021, 23:47

I hope they keep their weird mercs. I liked Unusually Ruthless Reuben as my whole meta game was to put him in shitty situations and see how long it took before he got really angry and freaked out.

Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced
Sep 17, 2021, 23:45
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 17, 2021, 23:45
Sep 17, 2021, 23:45

Lol I always thought Cutter Slade was black. Now that I think of it, when I was playing this with my computer, I was using a "booster video card", a Canopus, which literally took the vga output from my 3dfx card as an input, then had its own output. I remember it made games run a lot better and higher detail, but made them darker. I guess that's why for the longest time I thought Cutter was black.

/not race baiting etc., just thought it was funny

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 14, 2021, 00:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 00:51
Sep 14, 2021, 00:51

Thanks for the well wishes. We are surviving so far, but yea it's pretty tough. Take care all! Live long and prosper!

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 13, 2021, 04:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 04:05
Sep 13, 2021, 04:05

I'v been pretty quiet due to the situation here (#whatishappeninginMyanmar - namely civil war) but I am huge Star Trek Fan. I downloaded every single ST series before the last big Internet shut off here.

I agree that most of the new Star Trek doesn't seem Star Trek-ish at all, with the exception of Lower Decks. Yes it is a cartoon and yes it is silly, but out of all the new shows (Discovery, Picard) I've found that this one is the most Star Trek out of them all.

Anyways, I know many people didn't really watch it, but I suggest you give it a light hearted spin. Just my 2c. Cheers!

update: More terrible shit
Feb 14, 2021, 11:39
update: More terrible shit Feb 14, 2021, 11:39
Feb 14, 2021, 11:39

So tonight they are cutting off internet from 1am to 9am so that their thugs can set fires and attack people. This has been going on for the past few days. Some of these thugs are literal children they found, bribed then injected with drugs. There is video proof of this in the /myanmar /savemyanmar sub reddits. After the internet shutdown, the new telecom law goes into effect. They have banned the words "junta" and "regime" as well as swearing in Burmese at the military. They also will record all communications and data for 3 years and can use it to arrest people.

As of 45 minutes ago, in a different state they have used live rounds on full auto against unarmed protesters. They were not shooting into the air and many are expected to have died.

My neighbourhood is rumoured to be a target tonight, so I'm guarding the house all night with my taser, a barrel of water (for fires) and my cellphone camera (to record).

Take care of yourselves all, and defend your freedom/democracy wherever you are.

PS In a funny bit of news, the new coup leadership is called the SAC (State administration council). lol

Internet is back for now, but most North American sites are unreachable, and social media block
Feb 9, 2021, 05:46
Internet is back for now, but most North American sites are unreachable, and social media block Feb 9, 2021, 05:46
Feb 9, 2021, 05:46

They've started using live rounds today. There were protests in my city about 10 mins away from me. I heard a girl was killed, and several more were injured. No power cuts yet, but Internet is heavily censored.

Curfew is from 8pm - 4am. Violators will be arrested or shot apparently.

Appreciate your democracy guys, no matter how flawed because this alternative sucks.

Ill update when I can. If you are curious/concerned check reddit myanmar and savemyanmar. *graphic content warning*
Stay safe.

Bye democracy
Feb 2, 2021, 23:39
Bye democracy Feb 2, 2021, 23:39
Feb 2, 2021, 23:39

Greetings from Myanmar,

We just got a coup (if you haven't heard) ending our association with democracy and going back to good ol tyranny. Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for the gaming news and such as the future of the internet here is now uncertain. They cut it off once so far, but if the situation deteriorates they will probably cut it off longer.

As such I won't be able to browse this site daily anymore. Just wanted to say thanks that's all.

Hopefully we can recover from this bullshit.. but the realist in me does not see how.

Sorry about the sombre and unrelated news,

Re: GTA Online Cheat Seller Thwarted
Jan 25, 2021, 21:08
Re: GTA Online Cheat Seller Thwarted Jan 25, 2021, 21:08
Jan 25, 2021, 21:08

I've actually written "Cheats" for this game; but mainly to a.) make a solo lobby by freezing the game process till you DC into your own public lobby

b.) a "hack" that basically prevents people from hooking objects to you (a common form of griefing) and to disable certain cheat modules like blowing up all cars, all pedestrians, teleporting etc.,

None of this would have been possible if R* didn't make their online netcode reliant of end user computer's rather than their own server. You can have a PVP game setup like theirs, but some sort of security check/anti cheat should have been included. Also their shutdown of this paid cheat service won't affect the actual cheats as most of them are from free boards.

Re: Epic Games Launcher Causing Temperature Spikes
Dec 26, 2020, 21:24
Re: Epic Games Launcher Causing Temperature Spikes Dec 26, 2020, 21:24
Dec 26, 2020, 21:24

This BS Again? A few years ago when EGS came out, another reddit guy (who admitted that he was not a software engineer, nor did he have an active knowledge base of software/programming) did some light disassembly of the launcher and claimed it was spyware. He retracted his claims later as they had no basis in reality... but that did not stop the peanut gallery of "techies" from chiming in to this for the next few years. If Kaspersky Labs or any other malware researchers came out with this claim I would be concerned, but imho its just another reddit shit post.

Re: Get Starlink: Battle for Atlas for Free
Dec 17, 2020, 03:50
Re: Get Starlink: Battle for Atlas for Free Dec 17, 2020, 03:50
Dec 17, 2020, 03:50

I'm actually interested in this.. but ironically missed it. I got the 2 useless DLC for me so far though (I don't have the games)... /facepalm

Re: More Cyberpunk 2077 Fallout
Dec 17, 2020, 03:49
Re: More Cyberpunk 2077 Fallout Dec 17, 2020, 03:49
Dec 17, 2020, 03:49

My friend brought me this for PC.. but my laptop is ancient. It runs (somehow) on it.. (i7-4700HQ/756m GTX). It runs like a powerpoint basically in windowed mode... but ... (I'm a masochist) after running it at shit settings for about 2 hours, it didn't crash for me.

Ironic. I'm sure by the time I upgrade my abacus, they'll have it running a bit more stable.

Re: Star Trek Online Launches New Season; Transports to the Epic Games Store
Oct 6, 2020, 22:56
Re: Star Trek Online Launches New Season; Transports to the Epic Games Store Oct 6, 2020, 22:56
Oct 6, 2020, 22:56

I'd loved to play this again as I have a decent lvl character and many many ships (as well as the CE lifetime bonuses) but I cannot log in from Myanmar as it is apparently region locked. Annoying. I could use a VPN, but that would cause unplayable lag.

Re: Anyone else a refugee from Evil Avatar?
Aug 25, 2020, 23:15
Re: Anyone else a refugee from Evil Avatar? Aug 25, 2020, 23:15
Aug 25, 2020, 23:15

From what I know, they ran out of funds so they are twitter only now. And TBH, the twitter account seems more for trolling than actual news, thus here I am.

Re: Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Trailer
Aug 25, 2020, 00:09
Re: Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Trailer Aug 25, 2020, 00:09
Aug 25, 2020, 00:09

I loved the last shot with Superman and the boomerang pinging off his head. Dunno about the game, I need to see a gameplay trailer first. You'd think they learn to release both, not just the CG one. Sure it looks nice, but gives me very little information about the game itself.

Anyone else a refugee from Evil Avatar?
Aug 25, 2020, 00:05
Anyone else a refugee from Evil Avatar? Aug 25, 2020, 00:05
Aug 25, 2020, 00:05

Since EA went down with nary a blip/warning, I've been coming here more and more for my gaming news. I used to come here occasionally, but didn't make an account (I'm super lazy). Anyone else from EA here?
24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older