User information for Floyd

Real Name
Floyd
Nickname
Greentiger
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
I like talking to people, say hi! Also, I like gaming with friends, over the internet, coop vs computers. If you want to add me on steam, send me a DM here and I'll send you my Steam ID and my Blizzard ID.
Homepage
Signed On
March 19, 2020
Supporter
-
Total Posts
107 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

107 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Nov 29, 2020, 08:56
Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 29, 2020, 08:56
Nov 29, 2020, 08:56

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 15:07:
Congress needs 100 more U.S. Representative's like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

I agree. She seems genuinely smart, capable, and enthusiastic about helping people.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 29, 2020, 08:54
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2020, 08:54
Nov 29, 2020, 08:54

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2020, 18:41:
"as MrsBlue had a couple of BJs coupons she wanted to use"

I hope she shared some of those coupons with you. BJs are the best!

I'm talking about the stores. What are *you* talking about?

I wasnt going to say anything but I had a very similar thought. I have never heard of a "BJ's" store before. My wife had to tell me (I grew up in the midwest, never came across one). I was ... confused for a second.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Data Cap
Nov 24, 2020, 19:45
Re: Data Cap Nov 24, 2020, 19:45
Nov 24, 2020, 19:45

The Flying Penguin wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 12:58:
For most people, 1.2TB a month is way more than they'll ever need. I consider myself a heavy Downloader and I never get close to 400 a month.

Now, I'm not sure how much more using streaming services would add. I do use Netflix and Prime, but I use their apps on the Comcast X1 box, which doesn't come out of my Internet bandwidth.

Something to look into, Blue, if streaming bandwidth is your concern. The Netflix and Prime (and others) apps are well integrated into the X1. If I do voice a search for a movie on the X1, I get results for all the available streaming services, in addition to Comcast's on demand service. But my ISPs highest residential cap is at 300GB/mos before going unlimited, which is much more expensive. We happen to have a benefit of double that due to our level of service with them but Alaskans generally get screwed.

I figure if I ever start exceeding my data cap, I'll switch to a business account, which also has the benefit of a higher upload speed, and better technical support.

My household streams a lot and we regularly get around 300GB. We don't do much game/file downloading but we stream (SD), doing online classes for the kiddo, and the wife and I work remotely during the covid with vpn. The last big download I had was when I installed Dewm Eternal.

Edit: our isps residential cap is 300 gb a month before going unlimited, which is much more expensive. But we also get double that cap due to having local phone service with my isp. Overall though, Alaskans get screwed on internet.

Re: Evening Multiplex
Nov 24, 2020, 19:38
Re: Evening Multiplex Nov 24, 2020, 19:38
Nov 24, 2020, 19:38

Im definitely looking forward to Evil Genius 2. Had lots of fun with the first game.

Re: Fortnite Subscriptions Launch Next Week
Nov 24, 2020, 19:35
Re: Fortnite Subscriptions Launch Next Week Nov 24, 2020, 19:35
Nov 24, 2020, 19:35

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 17:22:
Rilcon wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 16:53:
There 20-something these days that deride these sort of things, and 40+ somethings that've been pumping hundreds of dollars a month into MUDs, Runescape, Ultima, WoW, and others for decades.

There's considerably more work that goes into those things that warrants a sub. Everything you get in this you used to be able to do for free in UT, Quake, CS, et al. with community mods. So yeah, there are some major differences. Anyone paying for this crap is a sucker.

Quake is a unique beast though with its QC. Definitely a milestone game for many reasons. But we have to give Carmack a lot of props though. Not just for making capable engines, but mainly for making them open source, moddable, and appreciating the communities that grew around these games. I wish more companies would open source their old projects.

Nov 24, 2020, 19:31
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2020, 19:31
Nov 24, 2020, 19:31

WannaLogAlready wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 08:44:
I Agree, Beamer.
These are my nightly solace,
1 Stephen Colbert is brilliant and a true artist of emotional nuance, facial expressions, voice acting, you name it.
2 Trevor Noah is so fresh and funny, with great lines.
3 Jimmy Kimmel, so relatable and entertaining, my favorite is his trolling of his cousin Micki, a classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzZPNpL0FqQ
4 Seth Meyers, love his brisk tirades, never miss one.

On entirely another level, John Oliver, such incisive mind, an army of one.

And if nothing else to see, watch Jimmy Fallon for the videos but skipping his dreary dialogues and poor deliverance.

My favorite by far is Seth Meyers, followed by Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, and finally John Oliver. I can't take Oliver in large doses though, he is thorough to be sure but it can leave me overloaded. His delivery is quick and condensed. Meyers is definitely my favorite due his combination of his humor and getting to the point. Probably because these shows compliment the news rather than replace it.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2020, 09:18.

Nov 24, 2020, 03:03
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2020, 03:03
Nov 24, 2020, 03:03

@Cutter

I dig the cell growth meats as well. My vegan step mom is quiet on the issue. She's been vegan refusing to hurt animals that she probably doesn't know how to feel about it.

Also really love a great 'traditional' Thanksgiving turkey. We're still sheltering indoors so we actually are catering this year. Turkey, potatoes, stuffing, all the good stuff. Pick it up already cooked, ready to serve to the family.

As far as the covid response, if you can work remotely then by all means do it! However, jobs where that can't be done should be at work but with gloves and mandatory masks. Mandatory masks would drastically cut down disease spreading and allow people to do their jobs. It just boggles my mind that people see masks as some kind of limitation on their freedom.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2020, 03:19.

Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games.
Nov 20, 2020, 06:41
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 20, 2020, 06:41
Nov 20, 2020, 06:41

afka Rossini wrote on Nov 18, 2020, 13:13:
For $10 Terraria was a lot more fun than I expected. You can play solo or coop. It's also pretty deep in terms of content.

Borderlands 2 if you've not played it is fun and has 4 player coop.

We recently played through BL1 again, I couldnt maintain interest in BL2. Im not really sure why though? I guess it just felt kind of generic? Thats not really a good way to describe it.

Ive often wondered about Terraria and Starbound. Theyre both on sale right now, I like minecraft more for the building aspect, how would you say Terraria compares? Ive seen some pretty nice builds on youtube. Very elaborate bases and structures. Anyone able to compare how Terraria and Starbound feel (aside from the sci fi vs more fantasy)?

Also C&C Remastered went on sale and I ended picking that up too. Also picked up the remaining DLC for Dungeons 3 when that was on sale as well as Mini Golf Maker. The course editor was really intuitive and I was able to get to making a course in minutes. Much more intuitive than the other 2 golf games I have.

Re: The SAT Math Question Everyone Gets Wrong - How to Solve It
Nov 20, 2020, 04:17
Re: The SAT Math Question Everyone Gets Wrong - How to Solve It Nov 20, 2020, 04:17
Nov 20, 2020, 04:17

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 01:13:
People in other countries need to realize: The USA is no longer a first world country, in terms of Education, Life Expectancy, Pollution control, Justice, Wealth Equality, Democracy, actually pretty much anything, except the production of movies, and possibly the military. Even there, other countries are closing in rapidly. The USA will probably lead the world for awhile in military spending, but most of that is just wasted on contractor overcharging and branch waste.

The right has been trying to undermine public education for decades. They've made it their crusade for "school choice" (ie, religious schools). No child left behind financially punished schools for underperforming, to the point where they teach towards the standardized tests than a well reounded education. Demonizing common core, which while implemented poorly, but basically said that there should be national standards so students can move and continue their education. Not teaching classes like how to save, or balance a checkbook. Overloading classrooms and then blaming teachers. Hell the 1619 project wanted to increase education about the history of slavery so what does Trump do? Tries to push his own 1776 ciruculum for "patriotic" education. No wonder this country is going down the tubes.

Please forgive typos, typing this out on a tablet.

Re: etc.
Nov 20, 2020, 03:07
Re: etc. Nov 20, 2020, 03:07
Nov 20, 2020, 03:07

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 15:26:
WoW is such a boring fucking grind it blows my mind people still do it.

I have yet to play an MMO that doesn't bore me to tears.

Re: The Game Awards Nominees
Nov 19, 2020, 18:32
Re: The Game Awards Nominees Nov 19, 2020, 18:32
Nov 19, 2020, 18:32

Nullity wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 09:55:
Rhett wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 07:07:
Kinda surprised Doom is up there. I mean it was a solid, polished experience.. but I don't personally think GOTY.
Same. It was decidedly a step down from Doom 2016, imo. They tried to tack on too many systems, and doubled-down on the requirement to use the chainsaw and finishing kill moves that were the main complaint (aside from multiplayer) with the first game.

When I first played DE I was sitting on the fence about it, but now I like it. Not really love it, but like it. Do I think it's a good game? Yes. Game of the year? No, not really. At first the new mechanics and change of game play was alien, now trying to play 2016 I am expecting things to be like DE, and it has hampered my ability to play that game. They are different games. Both are good IMO. After playing through it a couple of times, I was left disappointed with no extra content (map making, or even standard deathmatch with bots). The SP was OK, and when I stopped didn't even have Invasion yet. By the 3rd time playing the game it felt rote and linear and that's not very fun for long term play. They could learn a lot from classic Doom I think, the ability to make new levels, play DM, and maze-like levels where you could do things out of order sometimes made it replayable. I still think they should do something with like a Quake 3.5 engine or something so they can cram more enemies in a level--heck, they could make something deliciously retro with something like GZDoom even.

EDIT:
By popularity alone Animal Crossing should win. But I personally would love to see The Last of Us II as the winner.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2020, 18:46.

Re: The Game Awards Nominees
Nov 19, 2020, 04:59
Re: The Game Awards Nominees Nov 19, 2020, 04:59
Nov 19, 2020, 04:59

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 19, 2020, 00:47:
The Last of Us series needs to come to PC, so many people love or hate it, rofl. I'd love to play both, but I'm not interested in getting a PS4 or PS5 for basically just two games.

I want to see this too, and agreed about not getting a ps4 for them.

Nov 16, 2020, 18:47
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2020, 18:47
Nov 16, 2020, 18:47

I loved UFO. I have the series on DVD.
I also loved the girls in the purple wigs and mini-skirts on the moon base. Like why would that be a thing?
Anyway, UFO was also one of the inspirations for X-COM so there's that!

Nov 16, 2020, 07:46
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2020, 07:46
Nov 16, 2020, 07:46

I vote for LeVar!

Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games.
Nov 13, 2020, 06:40
Re: Looking for new, inexpensive games. Nov 13, 2020, 06:40
Nov 13, 2020, 06:40

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 9, 2020, 13:05:
There is an extremely fun game currently in early access on Steam called Teardown. Easily, that $20 in value is there. Not sure if there are plans to bring multiplayer to it but it's a fun puzzle/sandbox/frustration-mellower kind of game.

That actually does look relaxing. Right now my friends and I are kinda into golf with your friends. Fun little mini golf game to f*** away an evening.

Nov 13, 2020, 06:33
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2020, 06:33
Nov 13, 2020, 06:33

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 11, 2020, 09:00:
Greentiger wrote on Nov 11, 2020, 04:43:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 10, 2020, 12:06:
Weird. I don't remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans. You can almost universally find me in shorts. If I need to work outside and need leg protection, I throw on some overalls. Then again, I hate pants with a passion.

"Leg prisons"
But arent you also in texas? I wore shorts 11 out of 12 months when I lived there.

I am indeed! Central Texas. Even so, I have worn short wherever I lived. There are pictures of me wearing shorts in the dead of winter in Canada.

I currently live in Alaska, thinking of moving to Canada, but I wore shorts and no coat picking my daughter up today. Didn't even bother me, some days the cold can feel quite nice.

Nov 13, 2020, 06:30
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2020, 06:30
Nov 13, 2020, 06:30

Nucas wrote on Nov 12, 2020, 22:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 12, 2020, 16:45:
Wow, the CDC is like 20+ years late on that one...

i was talking to a conservative friend about this a couple days ago and he told me masks don't do shit to protect you from diseases.

i went back to dustin hoffman in outbreak. "come on dude, you know that shit was based on real life. how do you think we're working with deadly diseases every day if masks don't work??" i couldn't believe it, it actually gave him pause.

I tell people that if they really believe that they should start telling their dentists and doctors that theyre ok with them not wearing masks. Most of them just look at me all confused. I wonder if they even make the connection at all or realized just how stupid they are and chose not to say anything. My guess would be the former.

Nov 11, 2020, 04:43
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2020, 04:43
Nov 11, 2020, 04:43

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 10, 2020, 12:06:
Weird. I don't remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans. You can almost universally find me in shorts. If I need to work outside and need leg protection, I throw on some overalls. Then again, I hate pants with a passion.

"Leg prisons"
But arent you also in texas? I wore shorts 11 out of 12 months when I lived there.

Nov 11, 2020, 04:36
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2020, 04:36
Nov 11, 2020, 04:36

Yeah, I dont understand this at all. So much hatred for public education, and standards like common core (common core was fone, its hapdash implementation, however, gives it a bad rap). You cant build a dominant economy on belief alone.

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2020, 08:52:
Isaac Asimov

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Nov 10, 2020, 03:18
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2020, 03:18
Nov 10, 2020, 03:18

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2020, 21:06:
I agree.
We will never colonize any other planet besides earth.

I conditionally disagree.
Will we see it? No.
But will future humanity? Almost certainly.

We have the technology now for orbital colonies, the main obstacle is getting cr** up into space efficiently. We could easily create generational ships using solar sails even approaching light speeds (well, it would be percentage of light speed, like 25%). The toughest bit is creating our environments. We don't truly know what we need and what quantities we need them at in order to maintain a proper long term environment.

However, unless the planet is extremely close to Earth like I question even settling on planets. Most planets have a gravity well that's too weak to maintain long term human health (the moon has like 30% and mars like 40% gravity, stations can use spinning sections to get near 1g). I feel strongly that orbital colonies that remotely harvest raw materials and then sling them up using mass drivers is ultimately the way to go. If we can ever figure gravity out though we should be able to easily master light travel and terrestrial colonies. Einstein's theory suggests that if you used gravity as your drive, you could move light speed without suffering realitivistic effects. So a crew going light speed for a year would age a year, as would everyone else.
107 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older