Limit Results:

334 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ] Older

Re: MS Purchasing Activision
Jan 18, 2022, 18:10
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 18:10
Jan 18, 2022, 18:10

milspecmonkey wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 16:24:
Hired for long term company health: Wreck company with short sighted policy, make a bunch of money for self selling off said weakend company....task failed successfully?

Are you referring to Kotick? He's been the CEO of Activision since 1991. His "weakened" company is now making annual revenues of over $8 billion. Kotick is responsible for a near 100% revenue increase over the last ten years. Going back all the way to 2005, we are talking about a 1000% increase (10 fold increase from $780 million to over $8 billion). Like it or not, but the company has been immensely successful under Kotick's long tenure.

Jan 18, 2022, 15:55
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 15:55
Jan 18, 2022, 15:55

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 15:52:
Sony having a greater marketshare of gaming revenue doesn't mean much either. Microsoft has market cap of 3 trillion and throws its full weight around when financing acquisitions, it's not limited to what the "Xbox division" generates.

Microsoft market cap, as I posted down below, is $2.3 trillion. The one with $3 trillion is Apple and they are (so far) the only corp which has exceeded that $3tn threshold.

And I agree that the full weight of the company needs to be considered. Microsoft/Actiblizz themselves are talking "metaverse" with regard to the acquisition. It's not as clear-cut anyway. The cloud business, for example, is serving the gaming division. You can't draw a hard line in the sand where the gaming division begins and ends. It's all in a constant state of flux.

Jan 18, 2022, 14:27
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 14:27
Jan 18, 2022, 14:27

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 14:14:
Ugh, I had forgotten Tencent somehow. So Tencent, Microsoft, Ubisoft, then lesser players Sony, Valve, EA, Epic, etc.

UbiSoft? Ubi is a dwarf compared to Tencent, Microsoft, Sony, EA and Actiblizz. Ubi is probably smaller than Valve even (given revenue estimates of at least $4bn/year for Valve). UbiSoft's annual revenue last year was something like $2.5 billion. That's nothing. They are a small garage studio in comparison to Tencent, Sony, MS, EA, Actiblizz, Take Two and many others... in FY 2019/2020 Ubi was in 13th place according to Wikipedia:

1) Sony
2) Tencent
3) Nintendo
4) Microsoft
5) NetEase (yeah, who? Wink )
6) Actiblizz
7) EA
8) Take Two
9) Bandai Namco
10) Square Enix
11) Nexon
12) Netmarble
13) UbiSoft

Jan 18, 2022, 13:35
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 13:35
Jan 18, 2022, 13:35

Argonius the 3rd wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 13:19:
Why though ? Just for the IPs ? I mean it's been years since Activision released a decent title ...

I know reading is overrated but one major reason is quoted in the second sentence of the newsbit you are commenting on. 400 million active users/month. That is a lot of potential Xbox pass subs if you integrate (some of) Actiblizz games into the pass. And a lot of potential MTX customers.

Jan 18, 2022, 13:06
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 13:06
Jan 18, 2022, 13:06

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 13:02:
Sony is bigger, as well

What? Microsoft market capitalization = US$ 2.3 trillion vs. Sony market capitalization = $152 billion. Microsoft is more than 15 times the size of Sony in terms of market cap.

Re: Activision Blizzard Firings
Jan 18, 2022, 13:03
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 13:03
Jan 18, 2022, 13:03

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 12:36:
I agree with you at some level RogueSix, it boggles the mind. But then this is a country where Trump did well with suburban women voters despite all the accusations against him and stupid things he has said about women. It is as if the corporate world got stuck in the 1940s and no one noticed until the last decade. It would seem the "old boy network" reaches well past the executive level.

Yeah, and it's not just Actiblizz but also some other gaming companies like Riot etc. - As an Old Worlder, I just don't get it. Where are all these presumably young(?) women coming from and why are they so easily becoming victims in today's world? Over here anything on the scale of Actiblizz, Riot etc. would end up in a bunch of dickless men. It'd be a sausage massacre!

Jan 18, 2022, 12:37
Re: MS Purchasing Activision Jan 18, 2022, 12:37
Jan 18, 2022, 12:37

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:57:
One company throwing this much capital around and obtaining a dominant market position through mergers/acquisitions is never a good thing for consumers in the long run. Sony is going to get slowly squeezed when this deal completes in 2023 and Microsoft makes CoD and etc exclusive to their platforms. Microsoft has been playing nice under Phil Spencer but eventually they will turn the screws on consumers in the name of shareholder profits. I wonder when we'll start hearing antitrust noise, I guess politicians don't care much about the gaming industry unless someone puts a naked woman in a game.

Exactly. Sony is toast. They have zero chance against the capital power of Microsoft Corp. and the downfall of Sony as a gaming company already started in 2018 when MS began their multi billion dollar acquisition spree.
Sony is lucky that CoVid happened. If there would not be any supply constraints and no game development woes then MS would already be in a much more dominant position. CoVid has enabled life support for Sony but they are just that... on life support.

As soon as the XSX becomes commonly available at MSRP towards the 2nd half of this year or early next year, and as soon as the first heavyweight exclusives (like Starfield) have hit the market, Sony's going to start free falling. They are done.

I also expect Microsoft to "turn the screws on consumers" sooner or later. GabeN is very smart to focus as much on Linux/Proton as he does. When MS becomes arrogant again because they have the upper hand over everything in gaming then nasty stuff is destined to happen.

Jan 18, 2022, 12:12
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:12
Jan 18, 2022, 12:12

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:38:
RogueSix wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:08:
One shithole company buys the other shithole company. This is not going to do the quality of Actiblizz games any favors. Whether it will improve the quality of the workplace, remains to be seen, but since things already seemed to be rock bottom, the only way is up.

BTW, I'm really surprised about the scale of the harassment scandal. How is this even possible? Are American women that much different from European women? I have no idea how a scandal of these proportions is even possible. Here in the Old World, if you merely look at a woman one second longer than she is comfortable with, you have a HUGE problem. The vast majority of women are extremely self confident to the point of arrogance and abrasiveness. No single male individual who has a brain and is interested in their own job security will even try to hit on a woman at work. You just don't. It's suicide in today's cancel culture world over here.
That's why I am surprised how Actiblizz males found so many victims. It boggles the mind.

Wait, you mean women are allowed to work without having men have sex with them?

Yup. Here in the Old World this is the case. That's why, as I said, I'm surprised about the scale of the scandal. It seems like in America a job equals a swinger party or something. Whatever happened to "Don't fuck the company"? Why (seemingly?) are North American women so easily victimized?
OK, sure. It's not like we don't have sexual harassment here in the Old World. There is always a pig somewhere groping or verbally abusing a victim (isolated cases) but I can't really remember anything on the scale of Actiblizz over here and, as I said, I don't think it would even remotely be possible at all in today's climate.

Jan 18, 2022, 11:08
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:08
Jan 18, 2022, 11:08

One shithole company buys the other shithole company. This is not going to do the quality of Actiblizz games any favors. Whether it will improve the quality of the workplace, remains to be seen, but since things already seemed to be rock bottom, the only way is up.

BTW, I'm really surprised about the scale of the harassment scandal. How is this even possible? Are American women that much different from European women? I have no idea how a scandal of these proportions is even possible. Here in the Old World, if you merely look at a woman one second longer than she is comfortable with, you have a HUGE problem. The vast majority of women are extremely self confident to the point of arrogance and abrasiveness. No single male individual who has a brain and is interested in their own job security will even try to hit on a woman at work. You just don't. It's suicide in today's cancel culture world over here.
That's why I am surprised how Actiblizz males found so many victims. It boggles the mind.

Re: PC God of War Released
Jan 15, 2022, 20:21
Re: PC God of War Released Jan 15, 2022, 20:21
Jan 15, 2022, 20:21

Well, FWIW, thanks for the enlightening post to Optic Nerve. Contrary to the bigspender dude I don‘t really have a problem with toxic masculinity but just with the dumb brute Ahaggahuggahhuggahaggah warrior bullshit. It‘s just tired and lame to me at this point. The family father son sob story sounds really weird in that regard. The banging chixx mini game stuff sounded way more interesting but that was another game in the series if I understood you guys correctly?
Oh well, too many games and too little time so this one is most likely a pass for me. It just doesn’t sound appealing at all.

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Jan 15, 2022, 19:58
Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 15, 2022, 19:58
Jan 15, 2022, 19:58

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2022, 17:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2022, 16:16:
If someone has to earn that much money it might as well be her.
I guess she doesn't have to worry about college tuition. Or even going to college.

Yup. Her only worry is pedos.

Re: PC God of War Released
Jan 14, 2022, 21:42
Re: PC God of War Released Jan 14, 2022, 21:42
Jan 14, 2022, 21:42

asmodeos wrote on Jan 14, 2022, 12:53:
Looks like people are enjoying it, based on Steam reviews. Definitely waiting for a sale for me. It'll be cool but not $50 cool.

Yeah, I agree, it's about $15 cool for me. It looks like one of those neckbeard games anyway. You know, a game with MOIGHTY dumb brute warriors that is mostly enjoyed by people with a lot of hair who watch strongmen competitions 24/7 and stuff like that. I'm not a part of that club so I'm not sure if I'll ever buy it at all. I'm kind of tired and completely burned out on these action games with endless monster slaying and one boss fight after another.

Re: Dying Light 2 Getting At Least 5 Years of Support
Jan 14, 2022, 21:27
Re: Dying Light 2 Getting At Least 5 Years of Support Jan 14, 2022, 21:27
Jan 14, 2022, 21:27

Good to know. I'll buy the Enhanced Platinum Definitive Edition in 2027 then.

#nounfinishedgames

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jan 7, 2022, 14:14
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2022, 14:14
Jan 7, 2022, 14:14

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2022, 12:43:
And speaking of AM5, hype level intensifies.

I'm not sure why it would...

- GPUs remain much more important than CPUs for gaming
- AM5 CPU availability may be poor early on which will inevitably lead to inflated prices once again
- DDR5 supply remains a fat question mark. Its availability may or may not improve throughout the year depending on the supply of PMICs. Even if it gets better... when the demand rises because of AM5 then supply may quickly become a problem again.
- The nice, juicy high end mainboards will keep being expensive af. Look at the high end Intel Alder Lake boards. The prices may come down a little for AM5 because of competitive factors but I wouldn't expect any miracles. PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 require intricate board designs and multilayered PCBs. That stuff is costly by its very nature.
- The so called AM5 "longevity" is a marketing joke or even a lie. Yes, AMD will keep the same socket for several generations /golfclap. That still does not mean that every new AM5 CPU can simply be plugged into any old AM5 board. For any worthwhile, significant upgrade, you will still have to buy a new mainboard. Same as Intel.

Wake me up when we are out of the global supply crisis on all fronts. I'm not interested in being an early DDR5 adopter anyway. It has never made any sense to jump on a new DDR-RAM generation early on. The decent kits with good timings and a good balance between clocks and latency (for an affordable price) are yet to come. It will probably be late 2023 or well into 2024 before we get the DDR4-3200-CL14 equivalent DDR5-RAM with a tempting price tag.

It will almost definitely be at least mid 2023 before most of the supply issues even begin to resolve in the slightest. I wouldn't hold my breath for graphics cards though. Those will likely remain problematic for a much longer time (2024, 2025?) because of the crypto demand and because there is such a huge demand backlog from gamers. That situation will only get worse if RTX 4000 series and RX 7000 series are really going to be as good as rumored. It will be an all new bloodbath of supply and demand.

Re: EA Exec Tweets and Deletes About "Brutal" BF2042 Expectations
Jan 6, 2022, 14:54
Re: EA Exec Tweets and Deletes About "Brutal" BF2042 Expectations Jan 6, 2022, 14:54
Jan 6, 2022, 14:54

Battlefield is a franchise that has been around for about two decades. How can you NOT know what gamers expect from a Battlefield game at this point? It's really not that hard...

Re: Star Citizen $40K Bundle
Jan 5, 2022, 18:35
Re: Star Citizen $40K Bundle Jan 5, 2022, 18:35
Jan 5, 2022, 18:35

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 5, 2022, 18:14:
wing commander games were good, even his involvement with starlancer and freelancer was good, but this is a scam that I nearly fell for.

Chris Roberts was demoted from project lead to "consultant" on Freelancer. Microsoft took the project away from him because he was only fucking around and not getting anything done. We probably would have never seen Freelancer if not for his brother Erin Roberts. It remains a miracle that Microsoft did not just simply cancel the project.

Re: Ken Levine's Next Game in "Development Hell" - Report
Jan 4, 2022, 16:38
Re: Ken Levine's Next Game in "Development Hell" - Report Jan 4, 2022, 16:38
Jan 4, 2022, 16:38

Levine has always come across as a pretentious asshole so I'm not surprised at the reports of his employees. After the mess that was BioShock Infinite, I'm not even sure I care about his next game. At this point he seems like a used up has-been with delusions of grandeur and an attitude that is solely based on merits earned a long time in the past.

Re: New Steam Concurrent User Record
Jan 3, 2022, 15:23
Re: New Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 3, 2022, 15:23
Jan 3, 2022, 15:23

Kxmode wrote on Jan 3, 2022, 02:09:
Why yes, it is. It says that Epic's multi-pronged strategy of freebies and third-party exclusives isn't working. Perhaps Epic should focus on making their platform as good as or better than Valve's. Or they could keep doing the same thing and sink their ship.

You have a weird definition of "not working". Most stores wish they had the numbers that Epic is pulling. Yeah, Epic are no match for Steam yet and probably never will be (your holiest of the Holy Cows will remain untouched, don't worry... no one is taking away your precious toys, my dear) but stores like GOG which have been around MUCH longer than Epic would beg, steal and lie to get that kind of action.

Even just the $265 million that Epic has made from 3rd party sales alone is about FIVE times more than GOG's total annual revenue (and GOG is making most of their revenue from CD Projekt games so 3rd party vs. 3rd party would be an even more extremely unfavorable comparison for GOG). The $700 million total revenue of the EGS is almost 15x the total revenue of GOG. And GOG (launched 2008) has been around for a full decade longer than the EGS.

It is a fact that Epic have been very successful in kickstarting their store. It is also a fact that it is not nearly anywhere competing with Steam yet which makes it even sillier when Steam elitists are defending their undisputed Holy Cow. It's like a winning team joiner mouthing off against the losing team. Wow. Yeah. You really showed them!
Epic is neither competing on users nor features yet and probably never will to an extent that they will really rival Steam. Epic have missed the target timeframe on many feature updates for the EGS but it has come a long way from its humble beginnings. It keeps evolving and it is most likely here to stay while Steam keeps trucking as well. The irrational hatred against a non-contender is difficult to comprehend.

Re: Get Iratus: Lord of the Dead for Free
Jan 3, 2022, 15:00
Re: Get Iratus: Lord of the Dead for Free Jan 3, 2022, 15:00
Jan 3, 2022, 15:00

This free shit is getting on my nerves! Can't a decent man finally have a day of peace from all this FREE SHIT???

Re: Happy Birthday Diablo
Dec 31, 2021, 17:54
Re: Happy Birthday Diablo Dec 31, 2021, 17:54
Dec 31, 2021, 17:54

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2021, 17:38:
RogueSix wrote on Dec 31, 2021, 13:14:
Bill Borre wrote on Dec 31, 2021, 12:05:
Same here, but I was never a fan. I remember my impression was that it was a dumbing down of the RPG mechanic of the games that existed at the time.

Exactly. It had a very disruptive effect on the RPG landscape. Why make deep, complex RPGs if the masses are yearning for simplistic clickfests? Diablo invented the so called action RPG genre and it ushered in an era of massive dumbing down.

I still kind of liked Diablo for its production values. It had amazing sound at a time of MIDI effects and music. The graphics were good and atmospheric for its time. But the gameplay was as simple as it gets. Real RPGs at the time came with manuals and rule books the size of War & Peace. Diablo simplified everything to the bone and brought RPGs to the casual masses. Even Baldur's Gate was sometimes referred to as Diablo meets AD&D at the time because it had the same casual friendly top down perspective and real-time combat.
Diablo didn't ruin RPGs. There have been hundreds of traditional grognard RPGs released since Diablo came out.

That’s hindsight 20/20. It “ruined” RPGs back then because everyone was trying to make Diablo clones for years just like everyone was trying to make Baldur’s Gate clones for years when that was successful. The game industry started to follow the Hollywood model of chasing after the latest blockbuster fad or movie of the month flavor around that time.
Sure, there have been many more “real” RPGs over the many years since Diablo came out but things were looking comparatively dire in RPG land between Diablo and Baldur’s Gate. The latter is often times even referred to as the savior of RPGs which is hyperbole imo but many people apparently felt that RPGs were a dying species back then.
334 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ] Older