44 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Evening Patches
May 16, 2020, 09:56
Re: Evening Patches May 16, 2020, 09:56
May 16, 2020, 09:56

Orogogus wrote on May 15, 2020, 19:54:
gfunk wrote on May 15, 2020, 18:44:
why would they not deploy Denuvo at release? there would already be a "cracked" version available. At this stage they are only f*cking over paying customers.. People are seeing frame drops, crashes, errors and its broken on Linux too

Denuvo is anti-cheat here, not anti-piracy.

Doesn't matter, denuvo apps are being made to encrypt future games to protect microtransaction streams in "single player" games. To think we went from dedicated servers, free maps, mods and skins and level editors in quake to this dumbass dystopia all because the general gaming public got internet and was too clueless not to buy corporate hacked, client server and drm infested games.

Re: PC Halo 2: Anniversary Released
May 15, 2020, 17:54
Re: PC Halo 2: Anniversary Released May 15, 2020, 17:54
May 15, 2020, 17:54

RaZ0r! wrote on May 13, 2020, 16:24:
I downloaded the Master Chief Collection on the Xbox Game Pass for PC. I think I must have missed the boat by not ever owning an Xbox. I just cannot get into these games, yet I still have fun playing Quake II. I'm sure if I had fond memories of playing them on Xbox when they were new it would be totally different for me.

Halo is a dumbed down arena fps, so they are cut down versions of better arena fps games we were getting on PC. Halo 1 was the great dumbing down of FPS for those of us who remember, we went from 8 weapons to two weapons and regenerating shields, and aim assist on console.

That was when videogames hit the masses.... that is when they figured out from Ultima online and everquest, that the masses were computer illiterate and thus began the end of dedicated servers on PC, and then steam launched in 2004 to undermine game ownership on the pc.

Re: More on VALORANT Cheating Prevention
May 14, 2020, 16:56
Re: More on VALORANT Cheating Prevention May 14, 2020, 16:56
May 14, 2020, 16:56

JohnBirshire wrote on May 14, 2020, 15:10:
Not only have these cheaters completely ruined games, now they're forcing companies to infringe on our personal liberties too. $%&! you guys.

Man you got to be kidding me, cheating would have never been a problem if you all didn't buy stolen multiplayer games where the company controlled them, cheating would not be a problem if we were still getting dedicated servers. But since you all gave away your rights to own your own game software, you kind of deserve this mass privacy invasion.

COD warzone is a game the company owns and controls, that can only exist in a world where the average gamer is a moron who's let game companies steal the game and take control of the software.

We wouldn't have this problem if we were still getting games coded normally like quake 3 and UT2004, where you could host your own servers and the game was totally controlled by us. Cheating has always been a natural part of PC gaming since the beginning, and as long as you have dedicated servers you can always avoid cheaters. The force matchmaking of "modern" games and invasion of privacy, you had brought upon yourselves by literally allowing game companies to steal PC games. Pre-mass internet penetration no one would be even talking about this because we were still getting games coded honestly.

You've been buying corporately hacked games since the late 90's with ultima online, they've successfully stolen all PC game software in 20 years because you are all lacking a functional brain and can't perceive you're being robbed.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Apr 16, 2020, 09:39
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 16, 2020, 09:39
Apr 16, 2020, 09:39

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 08:33:

Go back to 1996. No one cares.

(Bear poke)

You have no right to complain when they drip you packets from the cloud and you can no longer access your games or mod them because you allowed Microsoft, valve and company to literally take over your computer with criminally coded software removing your control of your PC.

Enjoy your always online windows 10 buddy, see you in 20 years when you can't even access or mod games anymore. Since they will all be fully drm'd like they got on mobile.

Re: Xbox PC App for Windows 10 Preview
Apr 16, 2020, 09:32
Re: Xbox PC App for Windows 10 Preview Apr 16, 2020, 09:32
Apr 16, 2020, 09:32

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 15:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 14:44:
Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 11:30:
Yeah the fact that so many games play poorly on XGP, nor can you mod any of them, doesn't speak well for it's longevity. It still boggles my mind that after all this time MS still doesn't get it.

Modding is hit and miss, it isn't a certainty you can't, I was of your belief and have been proven wrong and I was surprised.

I tried to mod Kingdom CD and couldn't. Even doing all the steps to turn off the protected folders and stuff. The fact that you even had to deal with that shit to begin with shows MS is still not getting it.

No they get it, the fact you bought an OS that doesn't give you file access rights to the files you paid for means you are basically oblivious. The last 23 years they've been putting drm into everything since they discovered the average blues news goer and gamer was computer illiterate beyond their wildest imagination.

The fact that steam, mmo's and always online drm exist, mean's they get it just fine. They've won the battle.

League of legends and dota 2 are fully client server games that companies now outright own and control, they no longer have to give us local applications at all. The whole point of moving to "games as a service" is to kill off local file access.

UWP/Microsoft store and the new windows 10 OS that requires internet connection should have been a big tip off that these companies are locking down your PC and getting away with it because the average gamer and computer consumer is a moron.

Apr 15, 2020, 04:23
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2020, 04:23
Apr 15, 2020, 04:23

Verno wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 10:51:
Slush54 wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 07:18:
[Deleted post]

You have yet to articulate any sort of argument to support your grandiose claims. Steam has been around for 15 years and it did not end software ownership

You're clueless if you don't believe that, all those "Single player rpg's" were rebranded mmo's, Elite dangerous has permanent online drm, aka it dies with David braben. Quake champions is a locked down f2p game.

You don't seem to get that mmo's, f2p games, always online drm in diablo 3, TF2 going f2p with a hat economy, Gabe making a microtransaction infested game, means you're oblivious.

The evidence is overwhelming. Where are the dedicated servers, programming sdk's for quake? Or what about level editing in doom eternal?

I thought this was supposed to be "modern gaming", aka gaming was supposed to have things like dedicated servers, level editors, free skins, mods, maps like we had in the 90's until roughly 2005.

Go check out the wayback machine for planetquake. You're going to tell me with a straight face, doom and quake, the games that brought modding into being, there modern versions are severely gimped versions of their originals?

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2020, 04:34.

Re: Get Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition for Free
Apr 15, 2020, 04:16
Re: Get Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition for Free Apr 15, 2020, 04:16
Apr 15, 2020, 04:16

DrSquick wrote on Apr 14, 2020, 21:49:
Can anyone comment on how this holds up after all this time? I've never played any of the AC games.

AC2 is the best, AC1 was really rough, if you can stomach it... AC1 has a "better story" so best to watch the playthrough on youtube and skip the boring parts.

Ubisofts real gems were prince of persia sands of time though.

Prince of persia (2003)

https://www.gog.com/game/prince_of_persia_the_sands_of_time

And prince of persia (2008)

https://www.gog.com/game/prince_of_persia

Are worth checking out.

removed
Apr 9, 2020, 07:18
removed Apr 9, 2020, 07:18
Apr 9, 2020, 07:18

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 9, 2020, 11:31.

Re: Op Ed
Apr 9, 2020, 07:13
Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2020, 07:13
Apr 9, 2020, 07:13

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 13:45:
Then again, this is a Kyle Orland article so I shouldn't be surprised this is the position he's taking. Bashing Steam is the latest trend in the games press.

The issue is the internet is filled with clickbait in order to drive ad revenue, once you see these articles enough times they know that spouting bs and being an idiot drives people to click and say "aren't these people morons".

So in some greater sense people are falling for these pseudo-clickbait traps.

Plenty of good games sell even in early access. Deep rock galactic and Dead cells.

The reality is most games suck and are low quality and even the good ones have such low content as to be barely a game. Since modern gamers are basically idiots who will buy anything. What good games there are from indies are usually short and many can't even be called full games.

Apr 7, 2020, 23:05
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2020, 23:05
Apr 7, 2020, 23:05

Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 20:23:
I can't wait for all new games to use UWP encryption and drm so you can never access the games you paid for, enjoy your windows 10 your mmo steam loving clueless gamer that fucked up gaming.

This is never going to be a thing, UWP is a failure and the industry has no real interest in pushing it. Even Microsoft is backing off on a lot of their long term plans with the store.

The same things were said about mmo's, drm and steam when they first started, young padawan. Not only did the dark prophecies of the nerds come true (diablo 3 can now be disappeared from history at the flick of a switch). Major games have now gone "f2p" that would have been fully owned with dedicated servers in the past, like desitny, overwatch or modern battlefields.

You seem to be clueless, they've won, all activisions games are fully always online - aka client server, aka you no longer control the game files or whether your game will continue to function. Tim sweeney is dancing on the "death" of the retail model (aka games you own and control).

The entire silicon valley industry wouldn't be having a party if they didn't believe they had won.

https://tifca.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ClienttoCloud_Vision_V2.pdf

Tim sweeney:

“I think the game business will change more in the next five years than the past ten,” predicts MCV’s Person of the Year. “The last remnants of the old retail model of gaming are falling apart, and the biggest successes are fast-moving indies and fast-moving big competitors – exemplified by Fortnite and Apex Legends. All of the old decisions need to be revisited.”

That "the games industry is going to change more" is that more games will "become services" aka you'll no longer control the game. Which is how we ended up with quake champions, and not the "real quake" sequel we all wanted with modding, level editing, dedicated servers and programming sdk's.

Every piece of software where you are required to login, they've been slowly killing off local applications by making them all client server.

We've seen this across the entire space of PC applications, not just games, you should go check out daemons tools, geforce experience for modern geforce cards if you got an nvidia card.

That "login required" in order to use the software you paid for is going to get worse, they are trying to kill local apps where you don't get the complete files as "anti piracy" measure. But it also means they will eventually make preserving old software impossible. We've seen that with many UWP cracked games that only work on certain versions of windows.

Nor have you seen irdeto's plans for the future.

https://www.irdeto.com

Or ea's statement on "cloud gaming" aka fuck your ownership of the game.

https://www.ea.com/news/cloud-gaming-trial

Apr 7, 2020, 18:10
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2020, 18:10
Apr 7, 2020, 18:10

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 15:09:
Chromius wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 15:03:
Windows 7 64 bit FOREVER!

I have a nice solid win 7 64 backed up for fresh install and will be going win 7 and Linux dual boot. If games stop supporting win 7 then I will never own them.
There are already several games that are W10 only. I can't play them because I only use Windows 98, and not that horrific Second Edition bastardized version.

I can't wait for all new games to use UWP encryption and drm so you can never access the games you paid for, enjoy your windows 10 your mmo steam loving clueless gamer that fucked up gaming.

Will there be good old games in the future? The reason we have dosbox and all those old dos and windows games we can emulate is because they were coded honestly and we got 'honest binaries'. One wonders what the future history of gaming will be post windows 10 with a locked own file system you can't even access and newer version of windows requiring you to get permission from the masters of the universe to access your own games you paid for.

Got to love the new serfdom that gamers enabled from 1997 onwards with their getting conned out of getting the same PC RPG's they could have gotten for one time fixed price with the same features.

MMO's were a scam that lead to steam, which lead to f2p/mmo scam games like quake champions, the end of dedicated servers and level editing in AAA space.

Thanks for all that you sophisticated modern gamer you, enjoy your new encrypted games as irdeto, game companies and microsoft, finally plug the "local applicaiton executable" loophole on the PC to "prevent piracy" but also vendor lock you in to using their "platforms" and needing permission to access the shit you buy and being unable to preserve them going forward.

Enjoy serfdom computing, where you got no rights and freedoms because you gave them up because you bought all the bullshit the corporate world fed you, like a good sheep.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Mar 28, 2020, 01:10
Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 28, 2020, 01:10
Mar 28, 2020, 01:10

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 12:31:
Oh yes, give Amazon all your personal health info. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Says the gamers that gave away the store with steam, mmo's, and f2p games for the last 23 years? Do you people know you've given up any right to privacy using windows 10, steam, world of warcraft, guild wars, and most software since they began stealing it 23 years ago beginning with ultima online?

They can infer all sorts of health data and things about you from your game usage.

If you don't audit the code, you have no idea what's in those games, steam, etc and what kind of data it's harvesting. You can bet companies have been using their software to spy and gather data on everyone since they found out how stupid humanity is regarding computers.

My fellow nerds are in a utopia, Tim sweeney is basically living in a nerd wet dream, that PC gamers and gamers more generally are so stupid they'd give up game ownership and fall for every scam to con them out of control of their PC, software and their money.

Now windows 10 spies on you and intel and MS are planning for hardware drm and auth servers, using active directory to deny you access to your own files.

Maybe you should all have a gander what you've unleashed, the entire silicon valley industry is having a party that they finally get to turn software into property by making all future software client server, check out their PDF!

https://tifca.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ClienttoCloud_Vision_V2.pdf

Game pass on windows 10 being a trial run for how fucking stupid the average person is. Totally oblivious to the fact that they are using corporate hacked software and have lost total control of their PC.

Jan 9, 2020, 22:02
Re: Op Ed Jan 9, 2020, 22:02
Jan 9, 2020, 22:02

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 18:56:
Being against unions is fine, but you need to offer an alternative. How do you otherwise prevent worker exploitation? Strong regulation is one way (although I'm sure you oppose it), but there's no way to get regulation passed in our current system when money has such an outsized influence in creating legislation. So what's your answer?

There isn't one because people who are anti union are not educated at all. The reason government workers are usually unionized is specifically because they are more intelligent then their non-unionized counterparts. You're basically leaving yourself defenseless against well organized money'd interests whov'e overthrown countless governments for even any sniff of helping the public.

You'd all do yourselves a favor and go read about what the upper class has been doing around the world in the name of corporate capitalism and their crimes against humanity.

https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Deadliest-Export-Democracy-Everything/dp/1783601671/

The reality is stark in america. In a world that was actually educated and critical of capitalism and capitalist ideology in general. Every citizen would need stipend so they could take time off work to discuss and become actually politically informed. Having billionaire oligarchs above the law and robbing the entire world blind and perpetuating endless war for war profiteering is good for nobody and the fact that so many are convinced of free market fairy tales and right wing ideology is a testament to how badly the brain is constructed.

Anyone with an inkling of a clue knows we live in a lawless society who's laws are rubber stamped by a congress beholden to the billionaire class.

Dec 12, 2019, 22:00
Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2019, 22:00
Dec 12, 2019, 22:00

If you all didn't want exclusivity you shouldn't have accepted mmo's, drm and lack of game ownership. This is the natural result of gamers bending over and giving control of software to companies, companies, devs and ceo's laugh at you all while you suck their dicks. It's hilarious how far we've fallen from the 90's with dedicated server exe's and full blown level editors for AAA games.

Re: Get the Original Elite for Free
Sep 23, 2019, 03:46
Re: Get the Original Elite for Free Sep 23, 2019, 03:46
Sep 23, 2019, 03:46

Now if only he would make the new elite drm free and put it up on gog. No way am I buying drm based bullshit.

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Sep 2, 2019, 07:09
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 2, 2019, 07:09
Sep 2, 2019, 07:09

Bard wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 17:33:
pity windows 10 is the biggest piece of spyware we've ever been hit with...

Gee I wonder why that could be, could it have been gamers and smartphone users buying software they didn't own and control over the last 20 years thereby making microsofts ceo jealous that they should have just put drm in windows 95 and 2000 from the very beginning?

Our species is corporate dick in mouth level stupid.

Re: Sunday Multiplex
Sep 2, 2019, 03:07
Re: Sunday Multiplex Sep 2, 2019, 03:07
Sep 2, 2019, 03:07

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 16:52:
Am I alone feeling when I see a space sim or racer in only 3rd person view, that's like someone going to a nice steak house and ordering their steak well done?

Nope, the reality is there is a new generation of kid who've never played games like Freespace 2. There first games were basically the new elite and games like everspace. They would never know about past games since they are too old (20 years now).

Shit games survive simply because there's a new generation of gamers who's first space games are crappier versions of older games. So if you have no experience, many mediocre games will appear more awesome then they really are.

The same thing happened when we were kids watching cartoons, then you age 30 years and you see what your parents saw - that they are little more then glorified toy commercials.

Aug 8, 2019, 08:13
Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 08:13
Aug 8, 2019, 08:13

The videogame market is not a market, it's customers are stupid uninformed mouthbreathers.

The last 20 years PC games have been stolen out from under gamers and held hostage inside corporate offices. Any server locked game = game you don't own or control.

The videogame market is a market for lemons because the gaming audience is stupid, computer illiterate and not very demanding. We went from level editors, free skins, maps and mods 20 years ago in the AAA space to lootboxes, having parts of AAA games carved out and held hostage by literally stealing them and calling it drm.

The videogame market is one giant abusive clusterfuck because it's customers are stupid.

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Aug 3, 2019, 22:10
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2019, 22:10
Aug 3, 2019, 22:10

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 21:34:
Why isn't the American public doing something about this guy? As a Canadian reading this it's obvious he's in big corporations pockets

Because the governments of the world don't work for us.

https://youtu.be/glHd_5-9PVs?t=1281

Aug 3, 2019, 21:41
Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2019, 21:41
Aug 3, 2019, 21:41

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 3, 2019, 18:12:
Did you read it? It’s saying that consoles AREN’T holding back PC games,

Which is proof that game media is shit, yes consoles have been holding back PC's since the beginning. They still are holding PC's back. A far cry from level editing tools, programming sdk's, and modding we had in the 90's.
44 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older