Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Kain

Real Name Kain   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kain
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On November 15, 2018
Supporter -
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 58638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Jade Raymond Joins Google

2. Re: Jade Raymond Joins Google Mar 13, 2019, 12:22 Kain

Google has a litany of half baked projects so I won't be interested in their gaming efforts until they've been in the market for a long time.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive

26. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 12:16 Kain

I don't see it as "not being on Steam" as much as only being on the Epic Store. There is something crazy like 70 PC DD stores now across various countries. They are all being denied the opportunity to sell this game which in turn hurts the consumer due to lack of price competition.  

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Launch Trailer

11. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2019, 21:59 Kain

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 17:50:
Fion wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 16:14:
Dark Souls 2 and it was my favorite in the series... that's not a popular opinion but it was my introduction to the series and for that, it'll always be my favorite Soulsian experience.
I'm not looking to debate or disagree with you....just getting that out of the way. What about DS2 appeals to you that much? I ask, because I have picked it up at three different points in my life to play and put it down after a couple of hours. There's something about it that never clicks into gear for me and I can't figure out why. Is it one of those titles that you have to push through to get to the catch? (I *really* want to play and enjoy it.)

It has one of the most diverse and robust combat systems in the series that managed to be easily approachable to new players but still allowed for cool shit like power stancing. I also loved the world design, it was the largest map and features the most environmental variety of the souls games. The biggest problem was that there were a fair number of lackluster bosses. I agree with Fion, DS2 was my favorite overall game in the series even though it has a lot of flaws.

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Launch Trailer

5. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2019, 13:41 Kain

Their games are challenging, have fun combat systems and feature some terrific level design. I don't really care if they look pretty but I feel like the art direction makes up for a lot there. Anthem looks pretty and it plays like shit. Gameplay trumps all.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2019, 12:51 Kain

I was pretty down on this game but the last few gameplay videos have me cautiously optimistic again.  

News Comments > Anthem Patched

17. Re: Anthem Patched Mar 10, 2019, 08:12 Kain

Osc8r wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 22:49:
I was quite enjoying the game until the patch... they basically made monsters on higher GM difficulties just super bullet spunges, yet they haven't changed the loot tables at all... just more blue and purple trash and even less oranges. 20 strongholds later and not a single legendary or meaningful upgrade.

And i'm pretty much done.

Only thing left to do is to grind for eternity to get gear that allows me to be able to kill monsters with even more inflated HP... pass.

Agreed. The game suffers in many other areas but to me the biggest issue is the lack of quality content. Their response to everything seems to be to increase the grind in a hopeless attempt to keep players around long enough. This game has a real problem with variety, I don't want to do the same 4 mission types in a hamster wheel for bad loot. This game just fundamentally isn't very deep or fun, its like they designed a skeleton of a game they wanted to make and could not figure out how to actually execute on that plan.

They need to go back to the basics here. Make fun missions and reward players with fun loot. Don't worry about whether players will stick around for 2 years, thats a business concern that has no place in actual gameplay design. Make things fun and it takes care of itself, look at R6 Siege and its revival.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 10, 2019, 07:10 Kain

It's pretty much dead, its just a ton of binary posting these days. A lot of people moved back to Usenet for their piracy due to the advent of automation tools that shall go unnamed here.  

News Comments > Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators

17. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 07:08 Kain

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 12:22:
I wonder how much of Artifact's design was the developer's ideas and how much of it was mandated from above.

Regardless, it's amazing Valve was so out of touch that they couldn't foresee the backlash the game created.

From what we hear about Valve it seems like very little is mandated from above in general there.

Valve can make whatever it wants but I'm wanting more traditional AAA type games from them. They don't seem interested in making them so I'm not buying their current games. Steam is a different story, I still buy games from Steam but its mostly indie titles at this point. I bought Slay the Spire recently instead of Artifact even.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

4. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Mar 5, 2019, 16:58 Kain

necrosis wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 15:27:
The frequency of these updates is starting to get a tad obnoxious.

They need to release new driver updates for new game releases, they often have performance and stability fixes. When they stop updating drivers for my card, that's when I worry. If you aren't playing these games though then just ignore them, that's what I do. Remember when you used to have to reboot for a display driver update? Pretty painless these days by comparison. I'm more annoyed that if I want auto-updates I have to sign in to their silly application which seems to lose its login cookie constantly.

This one has a fix for the DXGI crash in Apex Legends for anyone else playing that.

News Comments > etc.

11. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2019, 15:17 Kain

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 11:43:
How long till EA pulls the plug on BioWare to appease investors?

Will Anthem ever get the patches it needs to be a fun game?

Can it be patched into a fun game? I feel like so many of the games problems are endemic to its core structure. The technical shortcomings will require a lot of underlying engine and toolset work. I'm just not sure they will want to go to the expense for a game that might not be doing well financially (just speculating).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 4, 2019, 07:51 Kain

I loved my Vita and my PSP. Sony's bizarre stance on proprietary media doomed the systems but they still have solid libraries and double as excellent little portable emulation machines.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 3, 2019, 07:41 Kain

I can't say I'm really optimistic about a Borderlands 3. I was pretty much worn out of that formula by the second game and their refusal to evolve beyond the limitations of console controllers will keep the mechanics stagnate. The game really needs more abilities, customization and general progression at this point, there's nowhere else to go. They've hit the limit of ZANY HUMOR and MANY GUNS, the humor started to grate long ago and while the gameplay loop is decent, it needs more depth.

With all of the drama there about Pitchford you have to wonder if that's affecting things too.

News Comments > Op Ed

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2019, 07:38 Kain

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2019, 14:47:
Basically sums up my feelings on how Star Citizen is shaping up. Just because you can make players take a dump and flush the toilet, doesn't mean you should.

Star Citizen just seems like a major case of feature creep whereas with RDR2 it's a question of intent and pacing. RDR2 has a lot of systems designed to slow the player down to adjust them to the world its trying to present but many of them are entirely optional outside of tutorialized introductions. I never wanted to do the chore like activities so I just didn't and the game went on fine.

RDR2 has many other issues and is by no means a perfect game but people criticized it plenty so I don't really agree with the articles backdrop for its premise. Its still an open world game, even with a 95+ on Metacritic its just not going to appeal to everyone. I was on reddit when the game released, people were not shy about voicing criticism.

I think a more fair criticism is that the tutorial segments in RDR2 go on way too long and that is why people feel so frustrated because it feels like the game is forcing them to do things they don't want to do. I had the same problem with Assassin's Creed III where the world isn't even fully opened up until something ridiculous like chapter 6.

News Comments > etc., etc.

1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 2, 2019, 11:50 Kain

The power of Dota 2 Autochess. Valve needs to buy that team ASAP.  

News Comments > DICE on Battlefield V's Future and Operation Sunrise

10. Re: DICE on Battlefield V's Future and Operation Sunrise Mar 2, 2019, 10:31 Kain

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2019, 08:19:
Ray tracing is strictly a gimmick at this stage and don't get me started what a disaster DLSS is. Turning ray tracing on in any game is an immediate halving of your performance and if it supports DLSS get ready for the bluring.

It is certainly a gimmick in BF V but in general its pretty promising. That said I'm not sure how it's ever going to make it into more AAA releases without being implemented on the next gen consoles. DLSS is interesting because it has significant performance benefits and when implemented properly it's convincing. The trouble is that it needs to be manually tuned for each game, at least at this point. Many of the things Hardware Unboxed and GN posted about in Metro Exodus/BF V have already been fixed for example. On the other hand I'm not sure I want to rely on Nvidia manually tuning drivers for each game. Who knows how long they keep that up? Especially for older cards as the years go on.

Back on topic, BF V was a huge disappointment to me and I doubt they can redeem it with content patches or updates. The gunplay is the best feature but other than that everything else feels worse than previous iterations. Map design was a huge step backward, several boring and unimaginative levels made even worse by the fact that WWII has so many interesting conflicts for them to use. Weapon unlock and customization is annoying and made worse by several shitty specs and the worst UI since the original 1942 entry. They can't seem to get the TTK/TTD right and this is made more glaring by unchecked hackers due to their ridiculous and ineffectual stats based anti-cheat system. There's also no rented servers so you can't even admin your own servers to help control that nonsense. The amount of control they give the client in this is absurd, I was in a server last month where someone was just nuking everyone from spawn.

I also could not believe how few vehicles the engine can accommodate. It does not feel like a BF game at all. In their quest for ever more ridiculous levels of landscape detail they somehow neutered the amount of vehicles a level can have by more than half, this was confirmed by a Dice employee even. As a result you do way too much running around and it feels more like a CoD mod half the time.

I don't care about the social/political nonsense surrounding the games release, for me its just a really poor BF game. Dice really let me down with this one and need to do better in the future. Stop reinventing the wheel with features and netcode, build on your existing bases. It's getting utterly ridiculous that they are rebuilding and reimplementing the same features every single fucking release.

News Comments > GOG.com Layoffs

29. Re: GOG.com Layoffs Feb 26, 2019, 11:32 Kain

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 08:46:
Speaking of a NAS, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive one?

If you want hands off, get a Synology. Solid and reliable, well supported in terms of updates too.

If you want to DIY then get a copy of unRAID and roll your own. I do the latter, we work with ZFS at the office but for a home media server it's just overkill and I love the easy future expansion with unRAID. You can also used mixed space drives with it and the docker support is excellent. Fractal Design makes some good, quiet cases with lots of space for drives.

News Comments > World War Z Trailer

3. Re: World War Z Trailer Feb 26, 2019, 11:28 Kain

Total-Khaos wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 10:51:
Anyone else tired of zombie games? I feel like they missed the boat here by a few years...

It seems especially weird considering the sequel is seemingly on hiatus. I wouldn't say I'm tired of zombie games, mores that there just aren't a lot of good ones anymore. I'm always down to play something good regardless of setting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2019, 07:45 Kain

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 24, 2019, 15:49:
If you haven't seen it, highly recommend The Green Book. Probably the best film of the lot, though I doubt it will get many rewards.

Good call!

News Comments > Anthem Reviews

41. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 25, 2019, 07:44 Kain

I put it on while I was doing chores, 50 minutes is really long and he could stand to condense things but hes spot on in his criticisms. The worst part is that the trials are just grinds intended to pad things out and many of the items weren't even tracking correctly when we did them. The game is an insulting mess that would only be acceptable as F2P. Even flying around the world in freeplay gets boring because its the same biome everywhere.

This game just needs so much...everything.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2019, 07:38 Kain

Spektr wrote on Feb 25, 2019, 05:27:
Devotion is so high in the list.... the other games have been around for ever or been promoted everywhere. First time I've heard about this one.

Yeah I was surprised too and looked it up. Apparently it got a lot of attention due to Twitch and some meme.

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >