Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Kain

Real Name Kain   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kain
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 15, 2018, 14:59
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 58638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 16, 2019, 22:25 Kain

Same shitty Xbox One S but now with...less features and a comical price? Microsoft just can't help but step in it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2019, 08:07 Kain

Fuck man Gene Wolfe? Damn. Book of the New Sun was incredible, man was such a talent. Fifth Head of Cerberus is a good starting point for people who haven't read him but fair warning, Gene Wolfe expected a lot from his readers. He was very well read and loved to play around with unreliable narration.

RIP Gene, thanks for the amazing books.

News Comments > More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store
65. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 07:52 Kain

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 03:48:
I dunno, he said he wanted them all in one place. Doesn't that cover it?

He still needs to buy the games at various platforms, keep all of those other storefront apps installed, updated, run them periodically to keep the games themselves up to date and so on. If you don't do this you run into console syndrome where you have like an hour to game before the missus gets home but your console wants to update its firmware, oh then the game needs to patch and before you know it time is up. Or just keep a growing number of these silly things running 24/7 and have your notification area look like a circus. I have pretty high system specs so that's what I do but its annoying.

Just an aside but fuck Origin for never properly storing its login cookie.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers Support Anno 1800 Beta and DXR Ray Tracing
18. Re: New GeForce Drivers Support Anno 1800 Beta and DXR Ray Tracing Apr 12, 2019, 07:48 Kain

RTX skeptic here but even with the massive performance hit on my 1080ti, holy shit it looks amazing. I assumed it was just some minor lighting differences based on static screenshots but its actually night and day seeing it in motion.  

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice a Million Times
1. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice a Million Times Apr 11, 2019, 13:36 Kain

Fantastic game, well deserved success. It's funny how many comparisons its drawn to the Souls games but it plays very differently from them. Learning the battle system has been one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a game. The game does not accommodate button mashing at all but on the other hand it really rewards you for timing and judgment. I actually found this much easier than Dark Souls 3 once I adjusted to the pace of combat and the expectations.  

News Comments > More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store
10. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 Kain

Please don't pirate their games, that just plays into Tim's previous nonsense of "all PC gamers are pirates". Just ignore them and wait for them to appear on other platforms.

I'm already nearing fatigue with this stuff. I'm just going to start ignoring it for a year and then I will see if they have improved the client. Right now it's not even worth all of this coverage.

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
88. Re: Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 10, 2019, 08:08 Kain

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 18:28:
Ohhh please, Epic didn't abandon the PC, they had to expand their business model to include consoles to increases their market share and profit margins. Do you really believe that a gaming studio has no business expanding their target demographic? Epic recently unveiled their ray tracing features in Unreal engine, tell me exactly which conslow was that targeted at?

They absolutely did abandon the PC, its well documented and they were quite ruthless in doing so, using all sorts of lame justifications. No one is saying they deserve to be punished forever for it but the idea that they are somehow doing PC gaming a favor is laughable. They are undercutting on industry standard margins because they have some Fortnite money right now to do so. None of that has any benefit to consumers either. Say what you will about Valve but they pretty much saved PC gaming in the early 2000s while companies like Epic were making a fortune in consoleland.

Both are just companies who are out to make money but the way they've treated the PC platform differs greatly.

47. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 8, 2019, 16:59 Kain

It will be interesting to see if the EGS is willing to maintain that lower margin when the Fortnite money dries up at some point. Or when they build out the platform and costs increase. It's well below industry standard. Right now their client is a piece of crap and they offer basic services at best but getting feature parity with Steam will mean a large increase in costs.  

23. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Apr 8, 2019, 12:25 Kain

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 11:48:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 09:59:
"Steam killing PC gaming" is THE most ridiculous nonsense i have heard in this context.

Valve was solely responsible for the indie boom, providing a 70% percent cut of all revenue to a developer where there was NONE before, only milestone payments and sometimes royalties for the big studios.

Yeah, I generally tend to argue that new alternatives to Steam are good things and exclusives are the only way to get people to change, but he's going overboard here. Valve did indeed save PC gaming and create the indie boom in a lot of ways. There's no way to argue otherwise honestly. That said, things do change... it's a new world now, and 30% does indeed look bad, and Valve having no curation does make things that previously would succeed get lost in the shuffle.

In other words I think you could criticize Steam for not adapting, or making some poor changes, but you can't go overboard and say they're bad for PC gaming. Come on.

I don't know, is 30% that bad? If you're going into a retail space, you're probably paying pretty close to that after shelf space, logistics, etc. My understanding was that 30% was pretty much industry standard for digital distribution and retail spaces. Steam also offers a lot to developers/pubs in terms of features and backend support. I guess what they should probably do is offer tiers with differing revenue percentages depending on which features they want.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September
92. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 7, 2019, 09:46 Kain

Random thought: RDR2 PC will be an EGS exclusive, assuming it ever comes out. Same publisher  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Apr 6, 2019, 12:27 Kain

Even Navi at best is looking like "1080 performance at 1060 prices" which puts it nearly a generation behind at launch. That only really helps at the mid range going forward. They still have nothing to compete at the high end, the Radeon VII was a joke. HBM was a lark that they should abandon, they can't price compete on high end products bogged down by it.

In fact looking at that video you can really see how AMD was competitive before the GCN clusterfuck that they just can't seem to escape.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 6, 2019, 09:46 Kain

Outside of an unwanted reboot or two, I haven't really had any issues with Windows 10 Update so far. Knock on wood I guess.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 4, 2019, 11:26 Kain

Alan Wake didn't need a sequel so its good that they moved on.  

83. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 11:19 Kain

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:56:
Poor security in the client? What does that even mean? As for all the features steam has, guess what is coming down the pipe... Yep monthly recurring fees, Xbox and PlayStation already went in that direction.. Why wouldn't steam. the cloud isn't free, and you're going to need to pay.

I didn't even mention Steam, I don't know why you are bringing it up. EGS doesn't even have feature parity with uPlay, let alone Steam. Steam has been free since its inception and you provide no basis or links for your opinion so I'm discarding it out of hand until you can do so.

Poor security means the dozens of emails from Epic saying my account has been locked due to "suspicious activity". An account that uses 2FA and a unique generated password that has been changed multiple times. Epics support department is probably the worst I've ever had to deal with as well. And again I'm not like a security nut or something, its just yet another factor in their frankly awful market offering.

Maybe other people are all about weird loyalty shit to these things but I am not. I just want decent features, their security not to be a dumpster fire and good prices on games. So far they have yet to provide those things. Saying I can only get Borderlands 3 there for 6 months does not sway me.

News Comments > Battlefield V Gets Battlefield Currency
2. Re: Battlefield V Gets Battlefield Currency Apr 4, 2019, 10:35 Kain

Most BF games since 2142 had time savers though. I don't care about these silly things as long as they don't increase the grind for people who want to avoid them.

Dice is tone deaf to the community concerns about the game is the bigger problem. Their content roadmap this year is anemic, one new map in a 9 month period. Firestorm is ho-hum as predicted. They keep delivering things no one wants like time limited nonsense, as if the game didn't have enough superfluous gameplay modes as it was.

I really dislike BF V in a way that I've never experienced with this series before. Most of the maps fall flat due to the idiotic design directive that one map must suit 10 different modes. I used to laud the gunplay as its one positive aspect but even that is starting to grate. Putting 4-5 shots into a Recon only to have them turn around and dome you gets old after awhile. The Assault class loadouts makes no sense from a balance perspective, especially considering how few vehicles the game has. They still have not fixed visibility issues due to their forced vaseline smear post processing. Sometimes I can go on ridiculous runs but it always feels like chance, never earned. Other times I get absolutely slaughtered for pushing objectives because this is a game that rewards camping above all else. The lack of available transports outside of map start is especially glaring there.

Argh this game is so frustrating, I need to stop reading about it.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2019, 11:01.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2019, 10:24 Kain

A local theater had it running for the anniversary and a bunch of us went to see it. Beyond the phone booths I thought it held up very well and having read about the simulation theory a lot since then, I got a fair bit of amusement out of it.

Shame the sequels were so scattershot. There were good bits in each one but a lot of rambling, incoherent nonsense too.

News Comments > What Happened with Anthem?
47. Re: What Happened with Anthem? Apr 4, 2019, 09:58 Kain

I find the comment that it "isnt that bad" baffling because what little content the game has is repetitive and thin. Even measured against Destiny 1 at launch Anthem would fare badly.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Apr 4, 2019, 09:26 Kain

Gamestop doesn't do enough to get people in there. My local video game store is very friendly, they host events and they don't push disc protection on me. Gamestop on the other hand maintains lavish margins on used game sales and buys them from you at a pittance. They frequently don't have new games in stock and rarely have competitive prices.

When they bought Impulse back in 2011 they had a chance to really compete with Steam, Xbox Live and PSN. Instead they squandered the opportunity in a poor attempt to extend their website services. That was really their chance to pivot and its gone so all that's left now is inevitable downward spiral.

79. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 08:56 Kain

The bottom line for me is that right now Epic has a shitty client so I don't really want to use it. It's objectively a piece of shit - poor security and a complete lack of even basic features. They can sign as many deals as they want to but I'm not going to use it until they improve it. So far they haven't managed to land a whale game that makes me want to install this thing again.

Good pricing and features are what gets me to install these sorts of things. They aren't meeting me halfway so /shrug

News Comments > What Happened with Anthem?
41. Re: What Happened with Anthem? Apr 3, 2019, 18:08 Kain

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 14:45:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 13:38:
I mean, let's not go giving EA a free fucking pass here. They MANDATE that every studio uses that garbage shit engine, and then refuse to give them support because FIFA needs it, and then took the few devs within Bioware that knew Frostbite and put them on FIFA. It's literally like EA just WANTED Bioware to die.

Which, I have to say, they've done a good job of.

I have no desire to ever give EA credit, but according to Bioware they weren't forced to use Frostbite with either Andromeda or Anthem. If one should take them at their word at this point is debatable, but it lines up with another dumb decision they made regarding not using the engine modifications from prior projects. I recall this exact tidbit came up during the Andromeda post-mortem too, how they had to modify the engine to run basic features of the game like 3rd person cameras, detailed facial animation and inventory functions, and didn't recycle any of the tech developed to do that in Inquisition. It seems like they just wanted to do things from scratch each time, and when it imploded on them they kept fucking doing it.

That's just PR, internally there was a push to get Frostbite across the board on all of their titles. No one ever wants to switch away from Unreal Engine, the toolset is so robust and well documented. They simply didn't want to pay royalties and Dice pushed for it at the right time. Not by coincidence, it started when Soderlund from Dice became more and more entrenched in the corporate culture of EA.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo