Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kain

Real Name Kain   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kain
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 15, 2018, 14:59
Total Comments 115 (Novice)
User ID 58638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2019, 14:01 Kain

You're on board with the company making money on it but not the people? Seems a bit at odds with itself.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 17, 2019, 14:00 Kain

A lot of people skipped Bluray entirely. Streaming services are shitty quality for enthusiasts but good enough for most people.  

News Comments > Far Cry New Dawn Dawns
10. Re: Far Cry New Dawn Dawns Feb 17, 2019, 09:16 Kain

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 19:51:
IMO Ubisoft desperately needs to reinvent themselves for me to care anymore. The "Ubi formula" of grinding, numbers, lots of menus etc. it's so fucking boring to me. I want a slick game that strips away all the bullshit and just relies on interesting gameplay, locations, themes, characters, story, etc. etc. etc. I don't want to have a tutorial island, i don't want to have to collect X amount of Y to do Z, I just want to have a true open-world adventure.

For all the production they have, they keep pushing out the same shit it seems.

They can't do that. If you look at the way their design teams are structured its pretty much impossible. No single studio works on and ships a title from start to finish at Ubisoft anymore. Ubisoft Montreal might have the lead on something but 2-3 other studios end up working on other aspects of the game. This leads to heavily formulaic gameplay mechanics because once a studio finishes on one design mechanic, they can't just sit idle. So they keep churning out more of that same thing because its their responsibility. This is why their stuff always feels like different window dressing on the same product.

For what its worth I do agree with you, I just think its unlikely they will bother. They had some mild success with AC: Origins but then proceeded to ruin it with AC: Odyssey. All of the distinctive and memorable tombs? Gone, replaced with bland nonsense. Back to the same idea of quantity over quality, a world so large it takes something like 150 hours to 100% it. Why make interesting forts and activities when you can just repeat the same things? Every game is 9-10 things just tossed into a procedural generator.

Ubisoft would need to fundamentally change its design pipeline to do what you're saying and they keep making money churning out this garbage so there's no incentive for them to change. I also think their writing is absolutely awful and has been for too long. The Far Cry series especially is cringe worthy and needs them to go outsource it.

News Comments > Anthem Launches on Origin Access
44. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 08:49 Kain

PCGamer has a review in progress up, and they're pretty harsh, but I do find it hard to disagree with what he's saying, especially regarding Tarsis and the loading screens. Tarsis is just so boring and so slow...

The thing with Tarsis is that its supposed to be worldbuilding but its mannequin city there and has the opposite effect. There's 3 people you can interact with and everyone just stands around like its an open world game from 2004. So the player is annoyed because they're forced to use this dumb hub to even access their inventory or the mission screen but its completely immersion busting and a waste of time. Speaking of mission screen, the people who designed the mission select for this game must hate the players or themselves, I can't decide which. What kind of idiotic interface requires you to make selections inside of an inner menu like that then back out to an outer menu, along with contextual buttons that can instantly launch? There's so much confusion on the forums about this that its kind of hilarious, a total UX failure.

It can't be said what a failure this game is in terms of design and tech. The PC port is kind of bad but as usual patches are promised. Who played this and thought this much loading was acceptable by the way? Do these people not dogfood their own product? Frostbite fucking sucks for this kind of game and EAs internal mandate to use it across their new AAA shit is a big part of the problem.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 17, 2019, 08:45 Kain

Six of one, half a dozen of the other unfortunately. Both have issues with memory but at least memory is cheap again. They both use WebExtensions but who knows how long before Mozilla caves and adopts Chromium? I hope it doesn't happen, we really don't need Google having that kind of control.  

News Comments > Anthem Launches on Origin Access
5. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 15, 2019, 14:55 Kain

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 12:21:
So 15 dollars a month gives you access to the full t!ts verson of Anthem or you could pay what was it? 80 dollars for that version?

So play the hell out of it for 2-3 months, 30-45 dollars worth, plus access to the rest of the library. Quit the subscription, and you saved yourself 40+ dollars on the full t!ts version of Anthem. Good idea.

They bank on people forgetting to cancel their sub which unfortunately is math that works in their favor more often than not. But yeah if you're disciplined its definitely the way to go for this game.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2019, 14:12 Kain

If they were given away freely then that's one thing but a few of the companies were charging money for them so yeah. On the other hand some of those moves were inspired by other people and one of them was "created" while employed for a TV studio so who is even owed what there? What a mess.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2019, 12:38 Kain

TheVocalMinority wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 07:41:
Nobody said anything good about Google or Android. I hope your getting paid for this because the alternative isn't pretty.

I don't own any Apple devices, I'm just commenting on my experiences as they relate to this article. They're the other major competitor in the market and happen to be the phones I've owned. I can talk about other phones I don't own but that seems kind of dumb.

It reveals a lot about your mindset that you automatically assume some bizarre conspiracy theory when all of the context is readily available here in this thread. This isn't sports teams buddy, don't be weird.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2019, 16:03 Kain

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 15:29:
Well if you think having to pay for something they admit is their fault is perfectly fine I don't even know what to say to that. There really is one born every minute.

Yes well, I'm the kind of sucker who likes to read stories fully and know all of the details and context before I respond. The device was out of warranty, were you expecting them to replace it out of warranty? Many items have manufacturing defects that only become apparent much later. On top of all that, it was bought second hand, not from Apple directly. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Literally all of the Pixel devices have various known defects and Google isn't going to be your best buddy and replace them if you're out of warranty. Nor would I expect them to. Maybe you get lucky with a company agent who will do so if you're nice but maybe not. Apple also apparently did end up replacing the device anyway which is again in the story.

I think the only companies I've ever run into who will replace items out of warranty are Weber and Logitech.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 14, 2019, 14:44 Kain

I can save them the trouble, I usually go to bed at around 10:00pm on weeknights. HTH tech giants.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2019, 14:40 Kain

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 12:04:
Apple user sounds surprised company is evil. Film at 11.

I don't know, I had pretty negative experiences with my Pixel XL and my Pixel 3. Google is probably the most "evil" company in terms of aftercare and support I can remember dealing with, just an awful experience from beginning to end. Even their software update policy is garbage, they're charging nearly iPhone prices and only giving 2 years of feature updates? Say what you will about Apple but the missus got the iOS 12 update and her 4 year old phone feels new again. When she has a problem she walks into an Apple store and generally leaves happy.

I can't say being on the Android side of things has helped my stress level. It has a really good camera app and that's the only real positive I can offer. I am seriously weighing getting an iPhone next time around, corporate logos don't mean shit to me, I am all about the quality of life and experience.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Feb 14, 2019, 13:33 Kain

Gosh that's so weird, why would people do this?! I'll just download a copy for archival purposes  

News Comments > Hollow Knight: Silksong is a Sequel
7. Re: Hollow Knight: Silksong is a Sequel Feb 14, 2019, 12:20 Kain

Hollow Knight map. You can click to toggle both bosses and benches on. I think what people are wanting is a bench literally right outside of the boss room which presents other balancing challenges when people can just brute force the bosses. Looking at that map, I can only really see a few bosses that don't have some sort of bench or other nearby transport method within a reasonable distance. I'm usually the type who would complain if this was a real problem but obviously YMMV.

I hope the devs find a reasonable middle ground to accommodate everyone in the sequel.

5. Re: Hollow Knight: Silksong is a Sequel Feb 14, 2019, 11:57 Kain

Frijoles wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 11:05:
Same here. Wish it had a "you have failed on this boss fight a dozen times now, do you want ez mode?" I want to see the story and explore. I'd still give it 10/10 as well though.

There are usually benches within a few screens from most bosses. The non-linear nature of the game often means you discover a boss before finding a bench though. Usually if I saw a screen up ahead that looked like a boss, I backtracked until I found a bench.

I personally only found a few of the bosses challenging, most of the time I would focus on avoiding attacks first until I learned their tells. This served me well in most of the fights.

Best $15 I ever spent, got a good 30-40 hours of the game and only found 1-2 sections frustrating. One of Kickstarters few success stories.

1. Re: Hollow Knight: Silksong is a Sequel Feb 14, 2019, 10:39 Kain

What an awesome surprise this turned out to be. Everyone assumed it was DLC but a full blown sequel in this universe is such a treat. Hollow Knight is definitely one of my favorite Metroidvanias. I was actually playing this last night on my Steam Link upstairs on hardwire and there's basically no discernible latency or input lag.  

News Comments > Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Delayed Until May
4. Re: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Delayed Until May Feb 11, 2019, 14:09 Kain

They blacklisted one of my favorite streamers over his reporting on the pre-release stuff but he was spot on it appears. The AI especially needs work.  

News Comments > Rumor: Activision Plans Restructuring and Layoffs
17. Re: Rumor: Activision Plans Restructuring and Layoffs Feb 9, 2019, 21:15 Kain

The divorce with Bungie isn't a real shocker but their mismanagement of the Blizzard portfolio certainly is.  

News Comments > Get Axiom Verge for Free
9. Re: Get Axiom Verge for Free Feb 9, 2019, 10:11 Kain

I had no issues with the boss battles personally, they were well crafted and creative. I found benches very close to most of them so I can't really understand the backtracking comment but fair enough. Axiom Verge on the other hand has some very uninspired bosses.  

News Comments > Get Axiom Verge for Free
7. Re: Get Axiom Verge for Free Feb 8, 2019, 13:46 Kain

I don't know, I thought this was just OK. Hollow Knight on the other hand, that game was amazing.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 8, 2019, 13:28 Kain

Yeah I have to agree. I'm a diligent saver but these prices are so ridiculous that I just can't justify it even with the cash in the bank. AMD not providing competition isn't helping, they launched the Radeon VII at nearly the same MSRP as the 2080.

The first Navi card this year will be a mid-range card apparently but rumors are pushing it back to Q3

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2019, 13:43.

115 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo