Descending
Limit Results:

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Quoteworthy
Sep 1, 2022, 01:43
Re: Quoteworthy Sep 1, 2022, 01:43
Sep 1, 2022, 01:43

I remember getting the general impression in the lead-up to this game that it was a successor to the original "Prey," which I still think quite highly of. Why else would they use the same title? And it wasn't like publicity for the game countered that mis-impression. So when I eventually got a chance to play it, I was very disappointed, given that it had absolutely none of the elements I liked about the first game.

If I hadn't been encouraged to think of it as a successor, would I have seen Arkane's effort differently and appreciated it more on its own terms?

Quite possibly.

Really shitty move on Bethesda's part, for all concerned.

Re: Game Crossovers
Aug 13, 2022, 13:25
Re: Game Crossovers Aug 13, 2022, 13:25
Aug 13, 2022, 13:25

I think this might be the single most overrated game I've ever played. The melee combat was bland and the story and dialogue wooden. One of the developers had a quote where he said something along the lines of: "Whatever you expect from a samurai game, that's what we're going to give you"--in other words they completely threw out any sense of authenticity to the time period or the actual history of what happened and churned out something completely generic instead.

Re: Tempest Rising Announced
Aug 13, 2022, 01:19
Re: Tempest Rising Announced Aug 13, 2022, 01:19
Aug 13, 2022, 01:19

Never managed to get that nolstalgic C&C buzz from any other RTS and I've tried a zillion of fhem, but this? This looks like it could finally be the one. Just a trailer but from that limited perspective, it looks like they're doing everything right.

Re: ItB: Appetite for destruction
Aug 11, 2022, 02:33
Re: ItB: Appetite for destruction Aug 11, 2022, 02:33
Aug 11, 2022, 02:33

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 10, 2022, 22:11:
I was hoping for a film about Hammer Studios but, nope, just another scandal du jour.

I thought I'd be the only one. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing FTW.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_House_of_Horror

Re: Biz Buzz
Aug 4, 2022, 01:16
Re: Biz Buzz Aug 4, 2022, 01:16
Aug 4, 2022, 01:16

Thanks for responding. Yeah I'm still on a lowly RTX 2070 Super which I bought for roughly $500 just before gpu prices started to skyrocket. I have a 4k 120hz monitor, various VR headsets, etc ... but I haven't once felt a need to upgrade since. No stuttering, no 2022 version of Crysis. Guess that's a good thing for me if not the industry.

Aug 3, 2022, 23:02
Re: Biz Buzz Aug 3, 2022, 23:02
Aug 3, 2022, 23:02

RogueSix wrote on Aug 3, 2022, 20:19:
GaianElite wrote on Aug 3, 2022, 19:22:
Falling apart due to crypto? Demand is low so, oversupply thus prices will fall and this is good for consumers? Did I pass economics guys?

You did not even begin to pass the basic 101 course if you seriously believe that it is only about GPUs and that the crypto crash is the sole reason for the "falling apart".

F for effort though...

So what do you identify as the driving factors? More people seeking entertainment outside the home post-pandemic? Global recession?

Re: Lame.
Jul 28, 2022, 00:44
Re: Lame. Jul 28, 2022, 00:44
Jul 28, 2022, 00:44

BigVlad wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 21:07:
If you said what you really thought, you're post would probably get removed.

But I AM saying what I really think.

As always, the self-awareness with you guys is just totally non-existent, and the hypocrisy level is off the charts.

You accuse me of using "dog whistles." But you are the one using a dog whistle. You are implying that I am a racist, without actually using the word. What the hell is that, if not a dog whistle?

BigVlad wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 21:07:
If films like Terminator 1/2, Alien, and Aliens were released today, they'd be derided as "woke" for having badass women in lead roles.

I like badass women. Always have, always will. I have no problem at all with women taking the lead. I am, in fact, a feminist in the original meaning of the word. Same thing with liking black actors in films or black characters in video games. Franklin was and so far remains my favorite GTA character. I'm not a sexist or a racist or a homophobe etc.

But that has literally nothing to do with wokeness or the simplistic notion of "punching down" or the dehumanizing habit of dividing everyone into either oppressor or oppressed and never the two shall meet. That is a deeply stupid, binary way of looking at the world and there are plenty of people who you would put into the "oppressed" camp who feel the exact same way I do. But they, of course, are all dog-whistling (self-hating) racists too.

The truth is, you have no idea what I think. You just think that all my political views have to follow the same rigid ideological divide yours do.

But that's how you and Beamer and ForgedReality and jdreyer and Redeye9 all think. Not me.

And for all of you pretending that using "woke" as a pejorative is just a dog whistle for "not liking women and black people," Cathy Young has taken the time to provide a comprehensive definition that is a lot more accurate than your self-serving strawman.

Do you want to know what wokeness is and why even people who aren't far right Trump supporters don't like it? (Of course you don't, but let's just pretend that you do).

Here you go.

https://www.arcdigital.media/p/defining-wokeness

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2022, 01:32.

Re: Evening Multiplex
Jul 27, 2022, 22:03
Re: Evening Multiplex Jul 27, 2022, 22:03
Jul 27, 2022, 22:03

"Tragedy?"

Was the death of, say, a child involved?

Jul 27, 2022, 20:46
Re: Lame. Jul 27, 2022, 20:46
Jul 27, 2022, 20:46

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 20:22:
"Change? Trying to appeal to an audience beyond just me? I'm beyond offended and outraged!"

Standard snowflakes.

Standard Beamer response.

That terminology was already a tired cliché back when it was popular on the right, and the left's enthusiastic adoption of same hasn't exactly improved its sell-by-date. The fact you would embrace the memes of your political opponents, "ironically" or otherwise, is hardly a surprise, given that you are two sides of the same coin.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2022, 20:58.

Jul 27, 2022, 18:53
Re: Lame. Jul 27, 2022, 18:53
Jul 27, 2022, 18:53

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 14:31:
Using the term "woke" just makes you look ridiculous, proving you've been programmed with talking points from right wing media, and that's all you know or ever want to know.

As opposed to being programmed with talking points from left wing media, which either never happens or is totally fine, depending on your level of cognitive dissonance.

This whole idea that your side of the political divide is always right and well-informed and the other side wrong and ignorant, is not the mark of intellectual and moral superiority you think it is, and that goes for both the left and the right.

Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes
Jul 27, 2022, 18:49
Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes Jul 27, 2022, 18:49
Jul 27, 2022, 18:49

Bhruic wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 18:40:
It's like people think that SMITE's asinine parody take on it is actually how it will play out.

That means good, right?

Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes
Jul 27, 2022, 18:16
Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes Jul 27, 2022, 18:16
Jul 27, 2022, 18:16

I hope they're really serious about this no-punching-down thing. The game should only make fun of--and you should only be able to injure or kill--hetro-normative cis white men. (Unless they're cops of course). Everyone else should be treated as an unkillable NPC. The game could have a little red warning label that pops up if you put your crosshair over the wrong target: MEMBER OF MARGINALIZED COMMUNITY! and in that instance your weapon will be disabled. Maybe even a little background on how each different group experiences their own specific form of oppression, and how that might or might not be intersectional, etc.

Jul 23, 2022, 13:39
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 23, 2022, 13:39
Jul 23, 2022, 13:39

Did anyone else read this as:

Activision Blizzard Workers Keep Fighting for a Seal at the Table

Which I actually think would be a pretty cool demand to make.

Jul 22, 2022, 14:40
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 22, 2022, 14:40
Jul 22, 2022, 14:40

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 22, 2022, 03:24:
SMITE wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 23:38:
Should apply, but it doesn't, because this kind of thinking is based on ideology, and not reality.

I'm really not sure what this post is about. Are you just saying that language is weird and not internally consistent? If so, I agree. Words and ideas that are functionally equivalent to other words and ideas don't get treated the same. Though, when someone says "pregnant women" and another person says "pregnant people" it's rather understood that each person is referring to the same group of people. I.e. those people with functional female reproductive systems. So, again I don't really see the problem with anyone using one phrase over the other.

It is wrong to omit the use of the term "women" because it could be construed as leaving out trans people in EXACTLY the same way it would be wrong to stop using the term "black people" because it could be construed as leaving out people who are not black but identify as such. There's an obvious ethical double standard in viewing the former as just fine, but not the latter, but if you don't want to consider that double standard, I can't make you.

It would be one thing if we were just talking about this one thread, but we're not just talking about this one thread. There is a concerted effort to change the language so that "women" is no longer considered an acceptable term to use when reporting on women's issues. If you can't see the problem with that, then again, replace "women" with "black people" when it comes to reporting on issues impacting black people and it should become obvious.

This effort to control and manipulate language eventually filters out into the public discourse--as seen in this thread--but it starts in the elite circles mentioned previously. Just google "pregnant people" and "NPR" and you'll see how it works. Again, if you don't care about the negative implications of this ... then hey, you don't care about the negative implications of this, and I might as well be typing in Swahili. But those implications still exist, whether you or anyone else here cares about them or not.

Jul 22, 2022, 02:00
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 22, 2022, 02:00
Jul 22, 2022, 02:00

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2022, 01:54:
Nkechi Amare Diallo is so 2015.
Still waiting for you to offer something worthy of an original thought, except I'm afraid I'll be in for a long wait.
But stay triggered, you wear it well.

Oooh, sick burn, dude!

But you can do better than that. I know you can. I believe in you now. I know how clever you are. Come on. Show me what you got.

Jul 22, 2022, 01:30
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 22, 2022, 01:30
Jul 22, 2022, 01:30

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 23:31:
No, "safe space" is not the correct term.
What you're thinking of is "snowflake", it goes hand in hand with your melt down over someone posting “ anyone capable of pregnancy “.

Wow. You really threw me a curveball there, RedEye. Here I am thinking you're this completely predictable ideologue, who never says anything original, who accuses others of "melting down" because they disagree with you even as you are unable to offer anything substantive in response. Nothing I mean, apart from old memes and buzzwords, because, sadly, we both know you have no original thoughts of your own. An algorithm could easily make your posts for you--that's how predictable you are.

Here I am thinking all these negative things about you ... and then you hit me with something absolutely brilliant, like "snowflake."

I take it all back. All of it. Please accept my profound apologies. You truly are an original thinker.

Not a simpleton at all.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2022, 01:41.

Jul 21, 2022, 23:38
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 21, 2022, 23:38
Jul 21, 2022, 23:38

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 22:57:
Either way, at the current juncture I don't see any reason you can't go on saying "pregnant women" and other people can't go on saying "pregnant people."

Then let's try a thought experiment. You remember Rachel Dolezal? She lived as a black woman, identified as a black woman, ran her local branch of the NAACP. However, when it turned out that she had not, shall we say, "been assigned black at birth" there was a huge outcry, particularly on the left, over the claim that she had "appropriated" her identity.

There's a weird double standard here. Well, not just here, they're all over the place on both the left and right, but in this case--particularly on the left. Because many people on the left will say that race isn't real. That it's a kind of modern invention and isn't based on science. And I think there's a lot to that. But at the same time, the people who say race isn't real, were absolutely up in arms that Dolezal had identified as black. This was a moral outrage. Which seems like a contradiction to me. At the same time, the same types on the left will say that sex and sexual dimorphism, which is as real and quantifiable as anything can be in the scientific sense ... they will say that this isn't real, in the sense that it can change at any time.

So race, which has been invented by people for unethical reasons, is actually fixed, is actually permanent, and can not be changed by someone like Dolezal, while sex, which is as objectively real and fixed within mammals as anything can be--this isn't real and can change on a literal dime, if someone simply declares that they are the opposite sex, that then becomes real and must be treated as if it had always been real, always been the case, a fixed truth, all the way back through time to their birth. Unless, of course, they change it again, in which case whatever they change it to then *becomes* the real and true and permanent reality.

So let's just say we have more than one Rachel Dolezal. We do actually, this has happened many times, probably more times than anyone realizes. So there is a minority of people like Dolezal, who may appear to be, on the surface, white, but they identify as black. With me so far?

People like Dolezal are not typically included in the general discourse when that discourse centers around say, the black experience. Dolezal and others like her ... they're left out of the conversation. They are not included when we talk about black people.

So the solution is ... we should start using the term "people" instead of "black people" when we refer to the latter, because otherwise we're not being inclusive of people who identify as black--like Dolezal.

The same individuals on the left who tend to use terms like "pregnant people" would freak the fuck out if anyone on their side started applying the "solution" outlined above. And I can see why. I can see why the choice to just say "people" instead of "black people" so as to not omit people who identify as black like Dolezal, would be seen as, "problematic."

Same thing should apply to the use of the term "pregnant people" instead of "pregnant women," but even more so, given that biological sex doesn't change in Homosapiens and the whole concept of race is a relatively new invention and that concept has changed, repeatedly.

Should apply, but it doesn't, because this kind of thinking is based on ideology, and not reality.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2022, 01:54.

Jul 21, 2022, 22:30
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 21, 2022, 22:30
Jul 21, 2022, 22:30

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 18:13:
You did say that. Maybe you didn't intend to, but you did say it. I said that we had decided as a society to talk about transmen as men (I.e. use male gendered pronouns), and you said we hadn't. You said it was "no more so" than Latinx being accepted by the Hispanic community, which is factually incorrect by at least an order of magnitude. A quick google shows that about 40% of Americans (and rising) find using preferred pronouns acceptable, and virtually all transpeople prefer that their pronouns be respected, whereas Latinx is not a preferred term either by the group being labelled or the general public.

You're interpreting what you said as if it could only mean this one thing--"using the correct pronouns"--when what you DID write is open to interpretation. You did not write "using the correct pronouns." Maybe that's what you meant, but it's not what you wrote.

You wrote:

it's more appropriate to talk about transmen as men, and transwomen as women

That could mean using pronouns, or it could mean "transwomen are women" or any number of things that fit under that umbrella claim. More to the point, the main demand of trans activists is NOT that everyone must use their choice of pronouns, it is that trans people be allowed to fully participate in ALL areas of life as the sex they assert themselves to be: i.e. for example, men using female bathrooms, showers, locker rooms, competing at women's sports, volunteering at female-only rape crisis centers, volunteering at domestic abuse shelters, sharing a cell with a woman in a female-only prison, etc. All of which goes way, way beyond simply using this or that pronoun. If the debate really centered around that, it would be a lot easier to solve.

So if that's what you meant--if you only meant "pronouns"--then I misunderstood your intention. Regardless, my original point stands. When it comes to the things I listed above, there is NOT universal agreement that the activists are correct. Far from it.

And this bit about "Latinx" that you keep repeating isn't quite the killer point you think it is. It's easy now to say, oh sure, the Latino community isn't down with "Latinx," everyone knows that--but the truth is, activists and the media and Democratic politicians at large pushed it hard and kept pushing it long past the point it was obvious that the people they claimed to be speaking for overwhelmingly rejected the term.

Just a few random examples:

EDIT: Blues doesn't allow the posting of long URLS. Suffice it to say the use of "Latinx" was widespread in the media until relatively recently.

They ONLY dropped it when the backlash became so obvious that even they couldn't pretend the people they were talking about it accepted it. They stopped because they had to.

"Defund the police" went the same way.

And yes, it is the same with a lot of trans activism, including the claim we should no longer use the term "women," or even "mothers," that it's better to talk about "pregnant people," or "Cervix havers" or even "bleeders." This language is not popular outside the elite circles previously mentioned and with good reason. It treats the word "women" as if it were somehow objectionable when it is not, and it substitutes terms that not only replace it, but are themselves inherently dehumanizing.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2022, 22:47.

Jul 21, 2022, 18:06
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 21, 2022, 18:06
Jul 21, 2022, 18:06

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 17:59:
But good luck finding a source that says transpeople actually prefer to be misgendered.

I never said that, Mike. I said there are transpeople who believe in biology and disagree with gender ideology.

And there are. They don't get a whole lot of media attention. You won't hear about them on the BBC, or NPR. But they exist.

https://debbiehayton.com/

Jul 21, 2022, 17:42
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 21, 2022, 17:42
Jul 21, 2022, 17:42

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 17:36:
anyone capable of pregnancy
No one could have guessed this would be the “triggering phrase / dog whistle” of the day.

And no one would have guessed that you would respond with the same old tired memes you've used a thousand times before.

"Dog whistle" has become a dog whistle for not having a single original thought in your head. Don't tell me, let me guess: "safe space" will be next.
171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older