Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bobbin

Real Name Bobbin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nailbender
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 21, 2016, 17:41
Total Comments 33 (Suspect)
User ID 58435

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > The Battle for Star Control Continues
3. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Dec 6, 2017, 03:34 Nailbender

"For those not interested in the original DOS experience, there is the amazing Ur-Quan Masters project which is free."

...which offers both the original DOS experience as well as the 3DO one. Free of charge. On modern systems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Dec 5, 2017, 02:46 Nailbender

Slick wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 02:33:
Yeah, they pretty much doubled the credits you earn if you do well. Also, they made it so AFK farmers get 1 credit at the end of the match, so pretty much solved both problems.

Nice to see no one gives a flying fuck as it doesn't further the narrative that DICE is evil.

I actually believe no one gives a fuck because the PR damage is done. It doesn't matter what they do with this game now, the interest in it is way, way down and cannot be brought back.

Also, I don't think that's DICE who's evil, it most certainly is EA.

News Comments > Who Controls Star Control?
24. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 12:14 Nailbender

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 10:52:
Fuck, man! I only ever cared about Ghosts of the Precursors, not that other dumb looking one with the Star Control name. Now it's not even gonna happen. Loevely. Fuck you, humanity. I'm moving to Zeta Vulpecula.

Be sure not to miss any Rainbow World you pass by! Auric Worlds are great as well.
(But seriously, you're absolutely right. I would try the new Stardock game when it comes out, but the new Ghosts game is obviously the real deal. The situation is seriously fucked up.)

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
9. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 12:23 Nailbender

MrGrosser wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 11:37:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 11:31:
The micro transactions in Black Ops 3 were far worse, where was the horde then??

No one plays CoD games anymore. So no one cared. But if you try to screw up our beloved and precious Star Wars franchise... oh man.

I dunno, it seems Black Ops 3 sold a bit more units than what I would call "a game no-one played", according to this: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85359/call-of-duty-black-ops-3/

Don't get me wrong, I myself don't care - haven't bought or played a game in the franchise for years. But this series keeps marching on boldly, despite receiving continuously bad reviews, on steam and otherwise. I'll be damned if I know why it keeps selling so well if the games are really so mediocre - but maybe it's the same effect that EA knows will work for their advantage as well. A franchise with firm enough roots that even things like what happens to it now will not hurt it severely for the long run. That's probably why they know they can disable MTX only temporarily. They will return - and people will pay. It's just a matter of time.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 15, 2017, 16:21 Nailbender

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:15:
I really wish CDPR would stop making these grandiose claims. Witcher 3 was already fucking amazing. There are plenty of people who consider it the best RPG of all time, if not the best game of all time outright. They're putting such absurd pressure on themselves to outdo themselves, and if you saw that six part documentary about the Witcher 3 (very much recommended), you can see what a strain it was for them to do the Witcher 3 in the first place.

They're going to kill themselves for no good reason. People will be just fine if you make something AS good as the Witcher 3 in a Cyberpunk setting. Shit, most people will shit their pants for something that good.

CD Projekt RED is aiming for better sales this time around and hopes Cyberpunk 2077 will be a bigger beast when it comes to commercial success. "The Witcher is an unquestionably very good game--a great success in commercial terms. We are very happy but it's still far from the world records. Individual games can sell much much better. With this in mind, creating the phenomenal Cyberpunk we hope to do even better with this title than we already did with The Witcher 3," he said.

I mean, Jesus Christ, fellas... The world records? What, you're expecting this to sell 80 million copies a la GTA5? Or 100 million+??

Stop setting yourselves up for failure.

This. A million times this.
They should strive to make this game a DAMN GOOD GAME, and that's IT. Regardless of what came before it. Probably the same mechanics, gameplay, story and other elements that worked for W3 will not work for this game. Please, CDPR, please just make it a good one, and don't bury yourself under hyperbole.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 9, 2017, 07:05 Nailbender

You probably mean: "Actually Shoundsh a little depresshing".  

News Comments > GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics
10. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 07:02 Nailbender

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 20:15:
Drakan "lesser known"? Que el fucko?!?

That game was bundled with just about every single graphics card on the market for a year or two back in the day and given away for free on magazine CDs/DVDs about a billion times.

Seriously, in Y2K it probably would have been harder to find a single PC owner who did NOT own a copy of Drakan (or at least heard of it) than the other way around.

Really? Too bad I didn't know it at the time - I bought a full priced, boxed copy (but probably just when it came out, before copies were abundant I guess). It really was something back then.

Also, Rise of the Dragon! Sweet. I also never played Heart of China I think, but heard of it.

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
58. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 5, 2017, 04:01 Nailbender

jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 01:30:
When Denuvo first came out, it took months to crack. So the corporations got some perceived value there.

ACO has been out a week, and still no crack. So they're perceiving value with this currently. The longer it goes uncracked, the more they will feel justified in this expenditure and implementation.

Good to know, thanks for that. If anything, it means that DRM may be doing a bit more for game sales than I thought. Not much, mind you, because one DRM method can only last about a month in the market before being cracked, and once cracked it's pretty useless of course. Still not a very good way to prevent piracy IMO.

News Comments > Nioh: Complete Edition Has Incomplete Controls (No Mouse)
15. Re: Nioh: Complete Edition Has Incomplete Controls (No Mouse) Nov 5, 2017, 03:48 Nailbender

El Pit wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:01:
Nailbender wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 05:46:
El Pit wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 11:54:
People here don't care about controls - is there any DRM used? This is what they want to know before pir... ehm... "demoing" the game.

Oh, absolutely. Because some people in a different thread here disagreed with you about the effectiveness of DRM, it makes everyone on BluesNews pirates, including those who disagreed with you of course. Such fine logic you display here.

Sarcasm - look it up. This was a free lesson, enjoy.

Uh huh. You fleeing said thread the moment people disagreed with you, as if this was the most violent crime ever, definitely proves your point well. What you continue to show, there and here, is your constant need to feel superior. I have nothing to learn from you, sorry.

News Comments > Nioh: Complete Edition Has Incomplete Controls (No Mouse)
13. Re: Nioh: Complete Edition Has Incomplete Controls (No Mouse) Nov 4, 2017, 05:46 Nailbender

El Pit wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 11:54:
People here don't care about controls - is there any DRM used? This is what they want to know before pir... ehm... "demoing" the game.

Oh, absolutely. Because some people in a different thread here disagreed with you about the effectiveness of DRM, it makes everyone on BluesNews pirates, including those who disagreed with you of course. Such fine logic you display here.

50. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 19:21 Nailbender

Dacron wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 16:00:

So.... no source ?

Or are emotional beliefs now held as facts?

Welcome to the age of alternative facts, my friend! It's a brave, new world.

Slashman wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 16:34:
El Pit's opinion is no more valid than anyone else's here.

That's correct. Unfortunately, El Pit did not share your point of view. I fully agree with everything else you wrote.

jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 16:55:
1. Add DRM. This often protects that initial month of sales which is usually by far the largest revenue generator for a game.

I agree about the importance of the first month of sales for the total game sales. But check what was said earlier about Denuvo, a relatively brand new DRM - it's now cracked within a DAY. So, protection for a full month? No. Does not exist. 1-3 days at most. And most cracked-copy users know it doesn't take long, so they will wait and not buy the game, even if it takes a bit longer. So this point is moot. I wonder how much money each Denuvo license costs, and if it's really worth the tiny amount of protection it actually provides.

I agree with your closing sentence there - none of us will like any of those options.

41. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 12:43 Nailbender

El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 12:18:
One final posting - then I'm out of here, I just can't take what is going on in this thread:
We, the gamers, should be rooting for the companies that bring the games to us. Instead, here I too often witness how the companies are prime evil and the pirates are the brave crusaders. Please, please, please, don't whine and cry and call out the companies when you get less AAA products for windows/linux because of your friendly pirates. Just don't. You supported them, you rooted for them, now live with the consequences.

I, for one, will keep paying for the games I want and will hate the pirates for harming the people that work on these games.

And now - good luck, keep gaming AND PAYING.

I have no idea how you read what you write here in at least what I said (I actually do have some idea, now seeing your posts here). Being against DRM does NOT equal being against game developers. Thinking differently than you does NOT equal being the opposite of you AND your enemy. Grow up. I was just pointing out DRM is bad, I NEVER said game developers are bad as a whole, and I NEVER said "and this is why I pirate" (for the record, I haven't downloaded a pirated copy of a game in many years, and do my best to buy the games I play, in however little time I have left to play. My backlog is just indescribable). Basically, I fully agree with Gadzooks below. Different solutions can and should be found to minimize piracy (including, but not limited to, making sure your game is a game people will want to play and pay full price for).

If you can't take it when people in a thread think differently than you, this is your issue.

"And now - good luck, keep gaming AND PAYING."

SIR, YES SIR!!

36. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 12:17 Nailbender

El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 11:55:
Nailbender wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 11:25:
El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 06:12:
If there were not pirates and/or cheaters, there would not be DRM and "anti-tamper solutions". Thank the pirates and cheaters, this is who you should point your fingers at. Action: stealing, reaction: DRM et al. It started with code wheels and has evolved into partially horrible DRM (e.g. Starforce). In the end: nobody wins.

How about sources for your claims, buddy?

Oh, how I was waiting for exactly this answer. And here we have the guy who had to spring the trap!

Proof? How about this experiment: I hope you live in a big city (like the internet is one very, very huge city). You leave your door open and tell websites to announce this on the web (like Pirate Bay announcese "Hey, don't pay, just take it for free!") and leave your house open for 24 hours after the announcement. Leave the house. Meanwhile, I will leave my house, too, but will lock it up. And in 24 hours, please come here again and tell me how the experiment worked for you. You can use your neighbour's computer to do this, by the way, because I got a feeling that some things will have been stolen (oops, "pirated") from your home. How about that, "buddy"? Got the balls to try this and tell us then again about your own "proof" (experience) how this worked for you? LOL!

Yep, because everything you just described is exactly like downloading a cracked copy of a game (although that debate is more philosophical than anything else, so you can claim it's like many other things). However, everything you wrote just evades the question (not surprisingly, since according to the beginning of your answer you are a genius, evil mastermind, relishing on laying such exquisite "traps" on unsuspecting, poor BluesNews readers and gloating when they "spring" it. Huzzah to you, evil sir!): Game statistics. Not lame comparisons which do not work in real life, while exposing your need for feeling of self-supremacy. Show me where any company or game maker or DRM maker said: "X DRM made the sales of game Y bigger, and here is the proof!".
Or even simpler: If the bane of game sales are pirates, which always cause a huge impact on game sales, please explain Witcher 3's (and other games sold on GOG) very good sales.

33. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 11:25 Nailbender

El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 06:12:
If there were not pirates and/or cheaters, there would not be DRM and "anti-tamper solutions". Thank the pirates and cheaters, this is who you should point your fingers at. Action: stealing, reaction: DRM et al. It started with code wheels and has evolved into partially horrible DRM (e.g. Starforce). In the end: nobody wins.

How about sources for your claims, buddy? Don't get me wrong, I am sure that pirates (I refer to cheaters less here, because they are a different issue and the tools to deal with them are different, but for some reason you bundled them with pirates) are indeed the reason for DRM. However, I have been reading gaming media online for quite some time now, and I fail to recall a single article or any other text or video which claimed, with verifiable proof, that DRM has dramatically (or even marginally) enhanced the sales of a game. This is a bigger issue than can fit in this little message, but in general - DRM doesn't really work, and mostly just antagonizes consumers. The logic: No DRM is uncrackable, so games can always be pirated sooner or later. Those who wish to download and play cracked copies of the game will do so anyhow, and do not intend to pay for a copy anyway, so you can't really claim those are "lost sales". Those who want to pay will, those who don't, won't. It's as simple as that.

And just as a counter-example for your claims, take Witcher 3. It was (and still is) sold on GOG with no DRM at all. So, did it sell badly? Not at all. Why? Cause it's a DAMN GOOD GAME. That's what the corporates fail to realize, and thus continue to use DRM. If you actually make a GOOD game, you're gonna sell, regardless of DRM, or pirates.

So please, don't blame pirates for lazy, bad DRM - pirates will always be there, but they're not the majority. GOOD games still have damn good sales with them. Blame those who create and pay for lazy, bad DRM, instead of trying to make a better game with the same money.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
29. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 19, 2017, 09:46 Nailbender

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 11:11:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:49:
It's pretty funny and sad how Jim Sterling was exactly right about this happening over two years ago. Which studio is next? BioWare? Place your bets an stay tuned!

If Anthem tanks, Bioware is dead.
The real Bioware, Bioware as we knew it, is long gone already, but the way Andromeda was handled was pretty much the final nail in their coffin. Whatever the profits and success of Anthem amounts to, it's not going to be the next Overwatch, and EA seems to be bent on thinking "If Studio X doesn't produce the next Overwatch or WOW, the profits are too small and we will kill it". So, basically, all of the studios EA owns and will own are living on borrowed time.
I now fully realize that EA are indeed the bane of the gaming industry. When ALL that matters is money (and only huge amounts of it), absolutely nothing else.

News Comments > Michel Ancel Wants to Make Rayman 4
2. Re: Michel Ancel Wants to Make Rayman 4 Oct 13, 2017, 07:48 Nailbender

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 12:59:
After he completes BG&E2? So, Rayman 4 will be the first title available for the commercial launch of the Holodeck then?

With all due respect, I don't think that Michel Ancel is Chris Roberts... yet.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
12. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 04:27 Nailbender

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 23:28:
... I backed years ago...

"Years ago"? Well, couldn't be more than 2. The kickstarter for the game started on August 2015.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
1. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 10:14 Nailbender

OK people, this is all the HL3 we're going to get.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
46. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 21, 2017, 19:03 Nailbender

My 2 cents on the issues raised here:

Someone here said that StarCraft was updated after 20 years. I'm pretty sure it was because of the remaster Blizzard issued around the same time, not because they still deeply care about the original game.

As for NMS still being updated (and with substantial improvements at that), I myself am puzzled about this as well. In my wild imagination, I see the devil (Sony) telling Sean Murray, cuffed and at gun point: "You will give your unfinished game to us, to sell whenever we see fit, even in unfinished form, in full price. You will lie in public to the media through your teeth about your game. You will be reviled, slandered and hated by the gaming community. But for that price - once we have deemed our sales adequate, and once your public image is destroyed, we will leave you to your own devices, and we will let you still develop the game as you see fit."
You may think Murray is a goddamn asshole, and you may be right, but honestly - with the amount of love NMS is getting a full year after release, I find it hard to believe he is. I would never have agreed to the deal above, but it seems he did. Wink

And as for BioWare, EA and ME:A... I would have to join the "I told you so" choir. And I, for one, can also prove it. It is so, so sad for me to be right about this though, of course.
https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl? action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=181981&id=1139713&view=threads

(Without the space after the "?", of course. URL embedding here is pretty crappy)

News Comments > The International 2017 Trove Carafe
4. Re: The International 2017 Trove Carafe Aug 7, 2017, 10:19 Nailbender

Jivaro wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 09:37:
Trove Covefe

Almost exactly what I thought when I first saw this. Or, more accurately: Trove + Carafe = Covfefe.

33 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo