Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Underthing

Real Name Underthing   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname afka Rossini
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2016, 17:49
Total Comments 163 (Novice)
User ID 58288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 13:06 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:22:
Speaking of suicide:

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says.

That's crazy. That should constitute a major health crisis right there. I'd be interested to know the causes. I wonder if our increasing social isolation is partly to blame.
Once again drugs and alcohol share some of the blame, 28% had substance abuse issues.
And we can always thank the 2nd Amendment, nearly half of all suicides were caused by firearms.

While I am for gun control legislation to curtail if not eliminate assault style weapons, I think blaming the 2nd Amendment for suicides goes too far. If guns were completely off the table would we then blame razor blades or rope or sleeping pills?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 12:56 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:24:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:20:
What a shame. Unlike a lot of these asshole celeb chefs, he seemed like a genuinely good guy. Story says suicide was the cause. Did he suffer from depression? RIP.
I'm sure we'll learn more in the coming months. He was a recovering addict/alcoholic and depression frequently plays a role in those issues. He'll be sorely missed.

So sad. I much enjoyed his Parts Unknown. He seemed like he was having a really good time on it. I'm curious as well as to what drove him to that point.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2018, 18:44 afka Rossini

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 18:04:
ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 15:01:
If only there was as much anger around Planned Parenthood's Black Market of Baby parts...

Do you even realize that you're an unpaid propagandist? This shit has been dis-proven for like a decade, yet the knuckle draggers are still happily keeping this card in their deck.

Then again, maybe he is paid. What say you Tovarich?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 14:10 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 10:54:
At 1x speed it looked like sheep wanted a putty tat dinner. No lambs were harmed in the making of this video.

My first thought when I saw the lamb was the parents were not amused. The slow-mo portion was very cool.

My second thought was, it might be healthier for that feline if those sheep were sex robots. They could be programmed not to harm pussy, um, cats.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
19. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 14:53 afka Rossini

That's a lot of hookers and blow.

In the meantime, I keep getting more than my money's worth of entertainment out of this game.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Amazon picks up The Expanse May 26, 2018, 14:09 afka Rossini

Hell yeah! Great show and now on a streaming service, it has a chance to be even better.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2018, 18:45 afka Rossini

Creston wrote on May 23, 2018, 17:55:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2018, 17:19:
Wooo The Expanse. Some of the best scifi on TV in years and years.

It's been on my "To Watch" list for a while, then it got canceled and I was like "oh well, guess I won't watch it", but now it's being picked up by Amazon, so free for Prime members, so now it's definitely the next thing I'm watching.

Even if it doesn't get revived it's still worth watching. According to those who read the books, last weeks episode S306 just about wrapped up the second book. I haven't read the books but I thought it would have actually been a very satisfying series conclusion. Plus the books are out there, so one way or another, we're able to finish the story.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2018, 18:38 afka Rossini

MT Silver wrote on May 23, 2018, 14:12:
"Ten days after Syfy cancelled its highly acclaimed space drama “The Expanse” after three seasons, Amazon Studios is in talks to revive the series which is one of CEO Jeff Bezos’ favorite properties."

"The Live Feed reports the streaming giant is near a deal to revive the space drama, though the deal is not closed as yet."

Ok so it's a clickbait title. They haven't actually revived the Expanse yet and there's no guarantee they will.

Yeah. It's still not a done deal yet. I imagine there are issues to be worked out as Netflix has international streaming rights and is calling it a "Netflix Original".

However, to keep Amazon incentivized, U.S. viewers please tune into tonights episode at 9pm on SyFy. Keeping the ratings up will keep up the momentum and enthusiasm for Amazon to pull the trigger .

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2018, 16:07 afka Rossini

The Expanse article on tv.com is a bit slim on details and doesn't seem to mention the very energetic #SaveTheExpanse fan campaign.

Among the various things the fans have done are...
- Successfully crowd-funding a banner that was flown over Amazon Studio's HQ in Los Angeles.
- Raising the shows week to week rating over 10% by mobilizing people to watch last weeks episode 'live' when first aired on SyFy.
- Garnered over 130K signatures including the likes of George R.R. Martin and Peter Mayhew (Chewie) on achange.org petition.

There is no actual deal yet so if you're a fan, say to yourself "I am that guy." and watch tomorrow nights episode as it airs at 9pm eastern and pacific on SyFy. (Maybe we'll find out what the hell it was that launched from Venus last week.)

If you're not a fan yet, check out this fan made trailer made completely with footage from the show.

Edited: Corrected show time to eastern and pacific time zones.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2018, 19:04.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 18, 2018, 16:58 afka Rossini

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 18, 2018, 14:14:
Copyright should be for the life of the creator, period.
I'm thinking it should be life + 25 years. If an artist dies young their family shouldn't be cut off from the rewards of their recent work.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2018, 19:19 afka Rossini

heropsycho wrote on May 15, 2018, 17:18:
You should try "Love" on Netflix. It sounds like it would check most of your boxes, including an untimely demise after the just released third and final season.

I also can't believe how funny The Good Place is. Honestly, that sounds like your cup of tea.

I agree about The Good Place. "It's delightful". If you've got Netflix, you've got access to Season One. Also, two episodes of season two got nominated for, of all things, Hugo awards in Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form. (Black Mirror, Dr. Who and ST:D are the other nominees).

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 18:44 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:10:
afka Rossini wrote on May 11, 2018, 12:22:
What the what? Syfy cancels The Expanse
That blows. Hopefully someone else picks it up.
Shows are cancelled for a variety of reason with the primary ones being ratings and profitability. The Expanse most likely got dropped due to the "nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S."
I think you're right about the deal, it's the same thing that killed Dark Matter.

On the bright side, Amazon seems to have the streaming rights in the U.S. If they pick it up they'll get a pretty decent 'prestige' series. Plus it might be fun for the writers to really let loose with Avasarala's language.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 18:34 afka Rossini

Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2018, 17:56:
There are bad dates, and then there are BAD dates.

That's scary and also rather sad.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 12:22 afka Rossini

What the what? Syfy cancels The Expanse  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2018, 12:04 afka Rossini

I met a women named Salli who said her name was spelled with an i. At first I thought it was silly.  

2. Re: Bill and Ted May 9, 2018, 12:24 afka Rossini

Whoa!

/airshred

3. Re:Steeler Ryan Shazier May 3, 2018, 10:48 afka Rossini

+1 to Steelers ownership. Shazier's got a long way to go, but it was good to see him moving under his own power on draft day.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2018, 15:33 afka Rossini

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 13:04:
afka Rossini wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:59:
At least this time, when Bolton tells the President that an Arab country has WMD's, he'll have real evidence.
Sarcastic?

More fatalistic.

Bolton was part of the brain trust saying Saddam had chemical WMD's, thus our main justification for invading Iraq. Iirc it turned out their evidence was a guy with a bullshit story and a milk truck. In Syria, the videos of the sick and the dead are pretty damning.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2018, 12:59 afka Rossini

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:31:
Just how much water can a leaky dumpster fire take on before all the rats flee,
Actually, the better question is, "How many rats can flee before new rats stop jumping in?" For example, John Bolton.. just when you thought Trump couldn't select anyone worse than Michael Flynn to be his National Security Advisor...

At least this time, when Bolton tells the President that an Arab country has WMD's, he'll have real evidence.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2018, 12:20 afka Rossini

Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:47:
A tweet for everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/373054743742275584?s=20

I guess at one point he had some brains.

163 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo