Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Underthing

Real Name Underthing   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname afka Rossini
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2016, 17:49
Total Comments 212 (Novice)
User ID 58288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2019, 17:17 afka Rossini

The ghost of Jack Thompson is rearing its ugly head again. Because, of course, it's not the bullets that kill people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse

1. Re: Expanse Season 5 Jul 28, 2019, 17:48 afka Rossini

Sweet.  

3. Re: Good Omens Jun 24, 2019, 00:38 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 16:48:
afka Rossini wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 15:19:
What we need here is the internet age equivalent of a good old fashioned book burning! Especially for shows and books we've never seen nor read.
At least get the authors name right if you're gonna burn his books.
This is starting to look like Arthur C. Clarke's "1984" more and more everyday.
bunch of morans
Or Asimov's "Brave New World"

1. Re: Good Omens Jun 23, 2019, 15:19 afka Rossini

What we need here is the internet age equivalent of a good old fashioned book burning! Especially for shows and books we've never seen nor read.  

News Comments > ELDEN RING Announced

7. Re: ELDEN RING Announced Jun 10, 2019, 12:52 afka Rossini

Meanwhile at Bethesda, lawyers are trying to figure out how many billable hours they can get out suing for trademark infringement.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 20:06 afka Rossini

MattyC wrote on May 20, 2019, 20:00:
El Pit wrote on May 20, 2019, 14:57:
Massive GoT spoilers ahead...
Bran the Useless is the new king.

Also spoilers here

I guess, but in name only. De facto Bran is just going to go raven out in a corner, he is more like furniture than a person. That leaves Tyrion. De jure the mad tyrant usurped it from Cersei, who Jon killed. Jon doesn't want the position so it falls to the next in line. That would be Cersei's only living brother - Tyrion.

That just leaves the north. Sansa and Tyrion are still married (right?) so patriarchy and all that also makes him king of the north. There, seven kingdoms once again united under one ruler.

That is the ending I saw and no one can convince me otherwise!
I think the Sansa and Tyrion marriage was annulled due to non-consumation so she could marry Ramsey Bolton.

After being legitimized, isn't Gendry the rightful male heir of Robert Baratheon?

20. Re: GoT Finale May 20, 2019, 20:00 afka Rossini

I enjoyed it. The first part of the episode was sort of Game Over for the throne. The second part was as one CNN writer put it, a "Game of Sensible, Neatly Arranged Chairs". And then a nice bit of epilogue.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 17:44 afka Rossini

Simon Says wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:12:
Not holding my breath...

Predictions:

Dany's gonna die, probably assassinated by Bronn, hired by Tyrion so he can finally get his castle. Jon's not gonna want the throne, but it's gonna be pushed on him anyway, he may refuse it categorically, plunging Westeros in turmoil, or Tyrion's gonna get on the throne, he may also be eaten by Drogon, "eat the help" you know.

It's the logical ending if Chekov's gun applies. But... seeing as they did a crap job with Chekov's gun since they left the books material behind, I doubt these predictions are going to be accurate.

Predictions:
Sansa, with or without Tyrion, ends up on the throne.
Daenerys dead by Jon's hand.
Jon heads north to join the Wildlings.
Drogon does whatever he wants.

9. Re: Morning Patches May 19, 2019, 17:30 afka Rossini

TheBigVlad wrote on May 19, 2019, 16:32:
Pigeon wrote on May 19, 2019, 15:08:
Unfortunate the writing quality took such a nose dive in the last season. Setting aside the obvious, it looks like shit and smells like shit, the biggest indication are the number of people trying to fill in the blanks by offering their own take on character actions. Hopefully the last weeks episode was the worst, but I fear in their increasing haste to wrap everything up the worst has yet to come.

I thought last week's episode was the best of the season, and one of the best in quite a while. I was utterly confused at all the negativity I was seeing. There were a few issues but I thought the characters actions made sense for the most part.

I do hope the spin-offs they are working on leave out most of the magic/dragon stuff and focus on the characters. That was always the best part of early GoT - the politics, intrigue, and backstabbing involving interesting characters.

I liked episode five as well. Good spectacle and some really outstanding camera work. Storywise, whaddya gonna do? Someone will reboot this thing in 20 years and maybe they'll have at least "Winds of Winter" to draw from. Meantime, I'm still really looking forward to tonight's finale.

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2019, 00:35 afka Rossini

Jivaro wrote on May 13, 2019, 12:12:
I guess I am the only one who actually thought the GoT episode played out pretty much like I thought it would. If there is one thing that this show has been hammering is that everybody loses in war...I feel like the continued examples of a lack of happy endings is pretty Martinesque.

I thought this episode could go one of three ways and wasn't surprised at the choice they made. Visually it was quite a treat. Peter Dinklage was particularly good. Also the way the followed one of the main characters late in the episode was very well done.

The funniest thing I saw was -Spoiler- [Cersi doing the "I think I'll just mosey on out of here" at the start of the Clegane Bowl.]

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2019, 16:05 afka Rossini

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2019, 10:44:
PHJF wrote on May 7, 2019, 10:10:
Man why the fuck can't I just marathon Chernobyl???

Fuck you, HBO!

I'd be shocked if the streaming channels stick with large dumps for marathoning. It kills too much of their buzz. With Game of Thrones, they get 8-16 weeks of people talking about the show every single Monday. Everyone is synched together, so people talk and theorize a lot.

With Netflix shows, everything drops over a weekend. One person will stream the whole thing in that weekend. Another person will take a week to get through it all. Another person a month. None of these people can really talk to each other about it, because they're not synched and there are spoilers everywhere. So they won't talk much, won't theorize, won't guess at the plot, and the buzz for the show dies extremely quickly. Netflix had some buzzworthy shows when it first hit, due to it being novel, and it has Stranger Things (even the buzz there seems to die within about 4 weeks), but hasn't really broken through with anything else. I love Bojack, and was very positively surprised by Russian Doll, but feel like they're discussed less than more traditional (and worse) shows.

To your point about buzz, The Expanse was saved by the community built from the weekly release of each new episode. It'll be curious to see if Amazon continues that trend or drops the whole new season at once.

From the providers side, HBO will get two months worth of subscription out of me with GoT instead of one. Viva a la carte!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2019, 14:38 afka Rossini

I enjoyed GoT last night and thought the pacing was great. There were enough breaks in the action to keep it from getting tedious. It was fast 80 minutes.

Jivaro wrote on Apr 29, 2019, 13:23:
Side note: I don't understand all the complaints about the GOT episode being too dark. We didn't turn out the lights and it was great. Is this just a case of most people not knowing how to set up their TV for the room it's in because I have horrible night vision and I still thought the lighting was fine.

I had the too dark problem and just switched to 'game' (brighter) picture mode. Then it was fine.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September

60. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 19:16 afka Rossini

Shoot. I guess I'll play it next year.  

12. Re: GOT Mar 29, 2019, 22:24 afka Rossini

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:17:
I will definitely watch that GOT video today. I accidentally made the mistake of missing the first 7 seasons when they first came out, then 3 months ago I binged 10 minute YouTube videos wildly out of order. Really not ideal, but when it first came out the episode I saw made a bad impression... the sex/violence/dialogue seemed pretty gratuitous and I didn't realise back then how good the casting and scheming was.

I'm now onboard to watch 8 in real time at least. Did I hear right that the entire wrap up is 5 or 6 episodes? That barely seems like enough time to do more than just let the characters complete their respective arcs.
It's six episodes this season. Some of them will be up to 80 minutes long.

News Comments > FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor

14. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 14:51 afka Rossini

Kain wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 14:41:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:51:
GRMM should just hand over everything to Scalzi and let him finish it. At least we wouldn't have a type of dinnerware mentioned fifty million times in one book.

Ugh no thanks. Scalzi has no hand for characterization, wooden and every character has the same "voice". Old Man's War was decent but I haven't liked anything he's written since and hes certainly no one to fill Martin's shoes. I don't begrudge him his success but he writes like a Whedon script fetishist.

Joe Abercrombie doesn't have the same stylistic prose as Martin but he definitely shares his penchant for layered plots involving kingdoms and character deaths. Steven Erikson is way too technical and desperately needs a new editor.

As long as no one suggests Mr Magic System Brandon Sanderson then we're cool though

I think Sanderson has already said somewhere he wouldn't do it if asked. Let's get Patrick Rothfuss on the case!

100. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2019, 13:55 afka Rossini

Sorry to hear such sad news. He was a lucky dog to have owners as devoted as you. I'll miss your tales of his exploits.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 16:06 afka Rossini

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 15:53:
afka Rossini wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 15:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 13:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 13:00:
Beanie? People wear beanies? I thought that ended in the 1950s...
Beanies are standard winter wear. I have several.
For extra mind blowing extremeness just type beanie into amazon and be amazed.

edit
Ninja'ed by everyone
I'd always thought beanies were bowl shaped hats worn upside down and had a propeller on top. What people here are describing as beanies, we always referred to as snow caps. Who knew?

Yup. Thus the candy.
Arrrgghhhh! I meant ski caps. Although, Sno-Caps are delicious. Maybe it was a Freudian slip.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 15:43 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 13:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 13:00:
Beanie? People wear beanies? I thought that ended in the 1950s...
Beanies are standard winter wear. I have several.
For extra mind blowing extremeness just type beanie into amazon and be amazed.

edit
Ninja'ed by everyone
I'd always thought beanies were bowl shaped hats worn upside down and had a propeller on top. What people here are describing as beanies, we always referred to as snow caps. Who knew?

Edited to add: You'll have to scroll down a bit to see it but this is what I thought a beanie was.

7. Re: Westminster Dog Show Feb 12, 2019, 14:40 afka Rossini

"Where are my testicles, Summer?"  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2019, 16:46 afka Rossini

The Expanse season three is now available on Amazon Prime (at least in the U.S.).  

212 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >