Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Underthing

Real Name Underthing   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname afka Rossini
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2016, 17:49
Total Comments 243 (Novice)
User ID 58288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 14:26 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 12:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:58:
afka Rossini wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:
As long as you're buying a new SSD, does your current system support Nvme types? I'd not really gotten into it before my recent upgrades but I was surprised to learn that Nvme SSD's are 5 to 7 times faster than SATA versions.
Interesting -- I knew they were faster, but I didn't realize they were that much faster.
For sake of argument I dumb it down (over simplify) for customers like this;
A hard drive delivers data at 50 MB/ s
An SSD 500 MB/ s
and a PCIe NvMe does 5000 MB/ s.

Yes, I know some of those numbers are higher than realistic and some lower.

The main point I try to make is that they will definitely notice a huge improvement when they replace their hdd with an ssd, but going from sata speed ssdís to pcie nvme speeds is not gonna illicit that same WOW feeling.
Pcworld rundown on the differences and speeds.

Edit
Ninjas by Afka

I get what you're saying. Kind of like TV going from SD to HD was a huge leap but UHD, 4K, etc. are nice upgrades but not major ones.

However, as games use ever higher resolution textures and thus ever more storage, I think having the fastest available drives can make a big impact. In open world games, I know in the past I've had to use lower res textures and turn down object view distance/detail in order to achieve better framerates and/or reduce stuttering. In games with levels or zones that need to be loaded like Skyrim dungeons, the quicker the better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 12:29 afka Rossini

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:58:
afka Rossini wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:
As long as you're buying a new SSD, does your current system support Nvme types? I'd not really gotten into it before my recent upgrades but I was surprised to learn that Nvme SSD's are 5 to 7 times faster than SATA versions.
Interesting -- I knew they were faster, but I didn't realize they were that much faster.

Yep.

I have a SATA based m.2 SSD (Samsung EVO 850) on this laptop that according to Samsung Magician does 532MB/s Read 494MB/s Write. (For comparision on this laptop is a 1TB hard drive that does 122MB/s Read and 123MB/s Write). On my machine at home I have a Samsung EVO 970 using Nvme that does well over 3000MB/s Read and Write.

Anyway, this is an interesting read Sata vs. Nvme

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 11:51 afka Rossini

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

1. Re: Peacock service Jan 16, 2020, 11:38 afka Rossini

I'm not sure how you can call Comcast late to the party as NBC was an early partner in Hulu.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 22:22 afka Rossini

Happy Birthday Ant. Thanks for all the links.  

12. Re:This New Subaru Forester Special Edition Has a Very NSFW Name Jan 10, 2020, 12:40 afka Rossini

I wonder if one of those customization kits includes wood paneling so you could turn it into a [Woodie]?  

11. Re: Is It Fair To Refuse To Hire People Who Use Nicotine? Jan 10, 2020, 12:34 afka Rossini

If we had universal health care, I wonder how many of these companies would give a damn if an employee used nicotine. I'm not talking about smoking at work with its issue of second hand smoke. But if someone wants to smoke, dip, vape, or whatever at home; or use patches or gum at work, why should they be discriminated against? I think Prez is right, it's a slippery slope.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 10, 2020, 09:54 afka Rossini

Whatever happened to "Walk softly and carry a big stick."? Wouldn't a better tweet have been a low key announcement we killed some Iraqi terrorist leaders. Then when it came out Soleimani perished in that attack we could have been like "Oh my! Our bad. BTW what on earth was an Iranian General doing talking to terrorists Iraq?" Whatever

8. Re: Itís twue Jan 6, 2020, 16:46 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 12:53:
Space aliens are breeding with humans, university ďinstructorĒ says.
Itís true itís true itís true
The more you know.

Serious question: Are space aliens, or their half human offspring, Flat Earthers?

Perhaps Flat Universers?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2020, 21:54 afka Rossini

Prez wrote on Jan 5, 2020, 16:27:
I haven't been "feeling" the NFL at all this year. To be honest, my interest has been dropping steadily over the last few years. Is it that a large number of star quarterbacks are getting injured or just losing their edge? Brees, Rogers, Brady, Rothlesberger, Prescott etc, all are looking like shadows of their former selves. Is it how long the Giants have been on a steady inexorable and embarrassing decline? Is it me just getting old? I don't know, I just know I used to love Wildcard weekend more than just about any other weekend out of the year, but lately if I watch at all it's on a Youtube highlight video. But grats tot he winners. I just wish I was more excited.

I feel very much the same way. For me it's over-saturation. The Thursday night games in particular don't thrill me at all. I don't know if that's because I no longer wait until a late Friday afternoon to start my weekend picks or just the general quality of Thursday night games. Now they talk about going to an 18 or 19 week season. Whether it's adding games or adding second bye weeks, it just makes the season way too long.

Another part of the problem is ESPN. The Monday Night pre-game is bland and hokey. The in-game guys in the booth are just boring. I generally have the T.V. tuned to something else or turned off before half time.

News Comments > The Steam Awards 2019 Winners

16. Re: Re: The Steam Awards 2019 Winners Jan 2, 2020, 13:30 afka Rossini

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 22:24:
afka Rossini wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 17:27:
Verno wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 14:32:
Beat Saber is the fucking bomb, that one game justifies VR gaming. Great game and solid workout, super fun.

I totally agree. To this point Beat Saber's gotta be VR's killer app. During Thanksgiving our family couldn't get enough of this game and made me schlep my system over to my brothers for Christmas. Even though I have it (obviously) on PC, I bet couple more PS4's with VR got sold because of it.

Almost, but on a limited scale. I think Half-Life: Alyx is going to be the killer app with broad appeal. I don't know anyone who hasn't play Half-Life 1 and/or 2 at least once.

You're probably right about Half-Life: Alyx at least for the Steam-iverse. Have there been any mention of bringing the game to consoles? Or more specifically to next gen consoles?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2020, 13:20 afka Rossini

I always thought David Stern was the kind of person that would live to be 100. The modern NBA wouldn't be remotely as popular today without him. RIP  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2020, 17:45 afka Rossini

Happy New Year everyone.

Blue, I'm pretty sure you'll be safe to put Year of the Crazy on all of this years checks as well.

News Comments > The Steam Awards 2019 Winners

6. Re: The Steam Awards 2019 Winners Jan 1, 2020, 17:27 afka Rossini

Verno wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 14:32:
Beat Saber is the fucking bomb, that one game justifies VR gaming. Great game and solid workout, super fun.

I totally agree. To this point Beat Saber's gotta be VR's killer app. During Thanksgiving our family couldn't get enough of this game and made me schlep my system over to my brothers for Christmas. Even though I have it (obviously) on PC, I bet couple more PS4's with VR got sold because of it.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2019, 14:23 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 12:41:
Wouldnít it be easier to tattoo UnVac with visible ink on the foreheads of those that are unvaccinated.

I wouldn't think the prospect of a tattoo removal is a great incentive to get vaccinated in the future. Then again, avoiding getting a tattoo delivered the way Brad Pitt does it, would be a real motivator to get vaccinated in the first place.

On a side note, I got my first shingles shot recently. There should have been a picture of Mike Tyson on the syringe. I'll get it, but I am not looking forward to the booster.

News Comments > TIME's Top 10 Games of the 2010s

27. Re: TIME's Top 10 Games of the 2010s Dec 21, 2019, 10:35 afka Rossini

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2019, 10:07:
Pepe wrote on Dec 21, 2019, 09:23:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2019, 08:39:
Pepe wrote on Dec 21, 2019, 07:50:
afka Rossini wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 20:04:
Primalchrome wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 19:32:
I can get behind about half of those picks... Fortnite and LoZ:BotW probably shouldn't be on there, though...

I've never played it, but I've always had the impression Fortnite is the game that brought the Battle Royale genre to the masses.

Seems you forgot about Pubg which broke enough records on steam b4 there was even talk about fortnite.

Fortnite might be bigger now, but Pubs is what got the whole thing started.

Also that list should at least include Witcher 3

No one wrote songs about pubg, and no one stood on stage in an event unrelated to video games in a pubg jacket.

Pubg was a popular game. Fortnite is an international sensation.

That may be true, but Pubg did sell 60+ million copies to date and the mobile version has been downloaded over 300 million times which imo is a bit more then just "popular"

It was just a popular video game. Yes, with gamers, it was very popular, but you didn't see an event that happened only within it quoted in any billion dollar blockbuster movies (a Fortnite-only event was mentioned in the opening scroll of the new Star Wars.) You never saw professional athletes reprimanded for playing too much, or frequently streaming with fans. No NBA players wear PUBG shoes, and no MLB pitchers were put on the DL for carpal tunnel syndrome attributed to PUBG. No schools sent messages to parents concerned about how much pubg students were playing. No articles were written advising parents about what it is and how to talk to your kids that are obsessed with it.

It was a popular video game. In the US, it was hardly even that - I'd wager most of those copies sold were outside the US. Fortnite is an epidemic. I think most people here are shielded from how popular it is, because we're outside the target audience.

There are Fortnite legos. Companies unaffiliated with Epic have turned schoolbuses into the Fortnite bus, decked them out with networked PCs, and rent them out for birthday and bachelor parties. You don't see this stuff for pubg. You flat out don't.

We're a niche site, but go into any street corner and mention "Fortnite" and a good chunk of people will know what it is. Mention "pubg" and maybe one person will. PUBG became very popular with gamers. Fortnite became very popular with everyone.

Dang! Pitchers on DL? Who?

(I wonder if, when they retire, any of those pitchers will try to make their own battle royale game. I hear Rhode Island may provide incentives if it's developed there.)

News Comments > TIME's Top 10 Games of the 2010s

2. Re: TIME's Top 10 Games of the 2010s Dec 20, 2019, 20:04 afka Rossini

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 19:32:
I can get behind about half of those picks... Fortnite and LoZ:BotW probably shouldn't be on there, though...

I've never played it, but I've always had the impression Fortnite is the game that brought the Battle Royale genre to the masses.

News Comments > Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot Released

1. Re: Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot Released Dec 19, 2019, 22:11 afka Rossini

A heist? Pitchford you sonovabitch. I'm in!

Well, I'm in once it's released on Steam. Er, make that once it goes on sale for at least half off on Steam.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 12:51 afka Rossini

Good luck today, Blue. I hope it all goes well.

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 12:34:
Taking antibiotics led to you have stomach cramps and vomiting? That seems really weird. It also seems weird they would have you take them prior to the surgery to begin with. Color me confused....

Given the super-bugs running around these days, maybe it's to prevent anything from getting a foothold.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 18:17 afka Rossini

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 17:32:

For shows I really like, part of the fun of having weekly episodes is reading the discussion and speculation on Reddit. I'm think The Expanse was saved because of the community built that way.

Speculation about a show based on a series of already published novels?
Reddit actually ran two separate episode threads. One for those who read the books and one for those who didn't. Even then there was a lot to talk about; characters who weren't in the TV show or mashed into one character; the reordering of content, etc. Plus the cast, costumes, special effects, depiction of space battles, amongst other things.

243 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >