Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Underthing

Real Name Underthing   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname afka Rossini
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On January 27, 2016
Founding Supporter Yes, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 260 (Amateur)
User ID 58288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 17:20  afka Rossini 

Sorry for your loss, Cutter.

Prez, I'm glad your still with us.

"If you take that bus, you get there." - M.C. Tone Def
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 17:11  afka Rossini 

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 13:22:
The “Rick and Morty” trailer is supreme.

I can't wait. It looks like Snuffles Snowball is back. The question is, is it an April Fool's joke?

I'm not sure if I saw the link here on Blues or somewhere else, but Samurai Rick showed up a day or two ago. Apparently, this was done in conjunction with Roiland and Harmon using the Japanese voice actors who dub the regular episodes.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2020, 18:02  afka Rossini 

Zoid wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 17:53:
DOOM Eternal sold so well it's listed twice?
Probably the usual separate listings for regular and deluxe editions.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2020, 17:25  afka Rossini 

I'm digging today's bullets on desktop. Allthumbsup  

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2020, 13:10  afka Rossini 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 27, 2020, 11:43:
If any GameStop employees are reading this you may want to put your applications in at Radio Shack, I hear they're hiring.

Ouch!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2020, 19:48  afka Rossini 

Prez wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 18:49:
Just wanted to give an update - I had a stroke, Apparently it was a bad one
I'm sorry to hear it, Prez. May your recovery be swift and complete.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount

8. Re: Borderlands 3 Steam Preorders Carry 50% Discount Mar 11, 2020, 05:01  afka Rossini 

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2020, 22:30:
GOTY version for $5, or die.

/S

I was really excited for BL3. Then the Epic thing happened and I decided I'd wait until it hit Steam at 50% off. So here we are. Now, given the overall lack of enthusiasm from y'all who've played it, I may just hold off until the GOTY shows up in the bargain bin.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 18:25  afka Rossini 

In the discussion of reminders for one time donaters, put me in the camp where you designate January or February for a pledge drive. As others have said, something like what Wikipedia does would be great.  

63. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 18:19  afka Rossini 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 18:02:
afka Rossini wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 17:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:18:
I
PayPal one-time payment was easy. Hardest thing was finding my pp password.
Hehe, I had the same problem.
Password Safe
Actually, I had 'a' password in my list but for some reason, Paypal didn't like it. So I went through the rigmarole of resetting it. But thanks for the link, I'll check it out since I do use a lot of the same passwords for various sites.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 17:59  afka Rossini 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:18:
I
PayPal one-time payment was easy. Hardest thing was finding my pp password.
Hehe, I had the same problem.

News Comments > etc.

11. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2020, 19:17  afka Rossini 

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 16:58:
Without numbers anyone can say sells well, it's a good PR move if true or not.
From the article: "I was happy to see it performing well, selling about 200,000 copies already..." said Embracer's CEO Lars Wingefors about the Steam launch of Metro Exodus. Embracer Group is Metro Exodus publisher on PC.

Their initial price on Steam last week was $24. So, 200K * ($24 - (30% * $24)) means they made $3.36 million. If they could have sold those 200K copies for the $60 at launch when the game first came out, their take home would have been $8.4 million. So exclusivity cost them at least $5 million on unit sales. We do know that the game Control got slightly more than $10 million for Epic exclusivity. If Metro Exodus got that same deal, that means they gained about $5 million from the exclusivity.

Note: I don't know how many units Metro Exodus sold on Epic so I don't know the effect of Epic's 12% cut vs. Steam's 30%. I also have no idea how many possible sales were lost forever because people were steamed at 4A Games over the exclusive deal.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 17:06  afka Rossini 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 15:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 15:05:
I don't think I could pick a single film as my all time favorite. But "Casablanca" certainly belongs near the top of the list of the best films ever made. Also the top for me is "Lawrence of Arabia" and for me personally "The Fountainhead" -- although I doubt "The Fountainhead" would be on most lists of that type.

Pssh, you guys and your "best films" lists. Everyone knows the best movie ever made is "Naughty Nurses 7."

+1 lol

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

11. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 18:18  afka Rossini 

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 15:40:
Well, at least they weren't stupid enough to launch on Steam at full price (there's a 40% "discount" on this year-old game... how generous...). Though I notice that the full price is listed at $39.99 and I don't remember if that was the full price on release. Either way, I'm not paying anywhere near that much for Epic's sloppy seconds.

I find that exclusivity deals have just saved me money, because I really have no burning desire to play some of these games after waiting (and enough lets-plays and other material has come out to show me that I probably would have wasted my money if I had bought immediately... looking at you Phoenix Point & Julian Gollop). I'd have bought Mechwarrior 5 launch day full price if it had come out on Steam. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even bother when it gets rereleased, there's just too much wrong with it based on the lets-plays I've watched. Oh well, hopefully that "exclusivity money" was enough to make up for my lost sale...

Since it's the first AAA title I'm aware of to have Epic exclusivity expire and I had any interest in, I picked it up on Steam today for $24 US. That's less than half the original price. If enough Steam buyers show up this week, maybe developers will re-think Epic exclusivity.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2020, 13:06  afka Rossini 

Thanks Blue. Thank you Charlie for delivering my victory speech.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 13:15  afka Rossini 

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 23:45:
afka Rossini wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:30:
Hey Blue, isn't the playoff pool using progressive scoring? (I.e. Round 1 gives 1 point for each correct pick, round 2 gives 2 points for each correct pick.) If that's the case, then picking the winner of today's game should be worth 4 points. Wouldn't that mean you still have a chance?

Sure. So if the Ravens win, I'm all set!

Doh!

(Looking at the bracket you'd linked, it seemed like you had picked one team that made it to the Superbowl. So I thought if it was the Niner's and you were the only one to pick them to win...)

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 15:30  afka Rossini 

Hey Blue, isn't the playoff pool using progressive scoring? (I.e. Round 1 gives 1 point for each correct pick, round 2 gives 2 points for each correct pick.) If that's the case, then picking the winner of today's game should be worth 4 points. Wouldn't that mean you still have a chance?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 15:49  afka Rossini 

WarPig wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 15:07:
Jeez, apparently Kobe Bryant is dead. Helicopter crash.
A huge loss for all sports fans here in SoCal.

Way too young.

Fuck this universe.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 14:26  afka Rossini 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 12:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:58:
afka Rossini wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:
As long as you're buying a new SSD, does your current system support Nvme types? I'd not really gotten into it before my recent upgrades but I was surprised to learn that Nvme SSD's are 5 to 7 times faster than SATA versions.
Interesting -- I knew they were faster, but I didn't realize they were that much faster.
For sake of argument I dumb it down (over simplify) for customers like this;
A hard drive delivers data at 50 MB/ s
An SSD 500 MB/ s
and a PCIe NvMe does 5000 MB/ s.

Yes, I know some of those numbers are higher than realistic and some lower.

The main point I try to make is that they will definitely notice a huge improvement when they replace their hdd with an ssd, but going from sata speed ssd’s to pcie nvme speeds is not gonna illicit that same WOW feeling.
Pcworld rundown on the differences and speeds.

Edit
Ninjas by Afka

I get what you're saying. Kind of like TV going from SD to HD was a huge leap but UHD, 4K, etc. are nice upgrades but not major ones.

However, as games use ever higher resolution textures and thus ever more storage, I think having the fastest available drives can make a big impact. In open world games, I know in the past I've had to use lower res textures and turn down object view distance/detail in order to achieve better framerates and/or reduce stuttering. In games with levels or zones that need to be loaded like Skyrim dungeons, the quicker the better.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 12:29  afka Rossini 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:58:
afka Rossini wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:
As long as you're buying a new SSD, does your current system support Nvme types? I'd not really gotten into it before my recent upgrades but I was surprised to learn that Nvme SSD's are 5 to 7 times faster than SATA versions.
Interesting -- I knew they were faster, but I didn't realize they were that much faster.

Yep.

I have a SATA based m.2 SSD (Samsung EVO 850) on this laptop that according to Samsung Magician does 532MB/s Read 494MB/s Write. (For comparision on this laptop is a 1TB hard drive that does 122MB/s Read and 123MB/s Write). On my machine at home I have a Samsung EVO 970 using Nvme that does well over 3000MB/s Read and Write.

Anyway, this is an interesting read Sata vs. Nvme

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 11:51  afka Rossini 

260 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >