Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for J. Dudgeon

Real Name J. Dudgeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Digitalfiends
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2016, 23:48
Total Comments 18 (Suspect)
User ID 58285

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV
5. Re: Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV May 16, 2019, 01:18 Digitalfiends

Anyone else having trouble getting audio to work. Audio isn’t muted on my iPad or my PC but I don’t get any sound when streaming (and yes audio streaming is enabled in the app). Not sure what else to try....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV
2. Re: Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV May 15, 2019, 23:03 Digitalfiends

OMG I've been waiting for this for what feels like forever and sort of forgot about it since Apple rejected the last submission - figured it would never happen. I've got so many unplayed or neglected Steam games. Can't wait to try this on my iPad Pro 2.  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Tactics Mission Editor Trailer
2. Re: Space Hulk: Tactics Mission Editor Trailer Oct 2, 2018, 20:15 Digitalfiends

I just found out about this game and I must admit I'm pretty excited to try it. I played the Space Hulk board game (2nd ed iirc) as a kid and loved it - I never really got into the iOS version, but this looks great!  

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer
2. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 18, 2018, 21:28 Digitalfiends

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Some of the scenes looked better with ray-tracing off whereas at other times it looked better with it on. Still, it's only going to get better (and easier for developers to use effects that previously would have required some shader trickery).

dizave wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:04:
Man, this tech does not show off very well. Don't get me wrong, this game looking like it's going to be really fun and it looks great already. The tomb raider demo was a joke when they unveiled these new cards.

News Comments > Video Games Affect Grades... A Little
6. Re: Video Games Affect Grades... A Little Sep 18, 2018, 19:33 Digitalfiends

I was in elementary and then middle-school in the 80s and while I was lucky enough to have an IBM AT (and later an Atari ST 1040) most of my distractions were board games and RPGs (GURPS, AD&D, Car Wars, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, etc) and yeah, those sometimes affected my homework and studies. In high-school my distractions transitioned to guitar playing, late night sessions of Quake 2 Rocket Arena 2, then Counter-Strike, etc. My grades probably suffered occasionally but probably more so due to various turmoil in my life (e.g. constantly changing schools, divorced parents, etc). So unless this study eliminated environmental factors and the general stress that kids deal with in school and at home, I'm not sure how accurate these studies can be.

Even when I was a teen, the internet didn't really exist as it does now, with the constant distractions and near-endless entertainment and social media - so I can see how that would affect a child's grades. But playing computer games an hour or two a day? I doubt the impact is that much different than the distractions previous generations dealt with.

With that said, I will admit that a lot of free-to-play mobile games are designed to be WAY too addictive for children/teens. I've deleted more than one app off my daughter's iPad because she was getting addicted (or at least constantly talking about it every 5 minutes).

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2018, 12:01 Digitalfiends

"One day after the steak was noted…"

They must have been really hungry from all that playing...

News Comments > EA Jacksonville Tribute
6. Re: etc. Sep 6, 2018, 12:44 Digitalfiends

deqer wrote on Sep 6, 2018, 12:24:
"In memory of the tragedy in Jacksonville, we will be offering a 25% discount on all loot crates"

This is so slimy. Wow. How does that equal to a settlement for a plaintiff in a court case.

I hope they don't try to use this offering as part of their defense in court.

Where did you read that? I think the user below said that jokingly, as that seems like something you’d expect EA to do. No way would they actually do that (because...profits)

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Weekend
25. Re: Star Citizen Free Weekend Aug 26, 2018, 02:17 Digitalfiends

So I downloaded this to give it a try and I was very … underwhelmed. I've been a long time fan of sandbox and open world space games, such as Starflight, Elite II, Sundog, Privateer, and have been following Star Citizen for quite some time. I never took the plunge because of the fundraising tactics, ridiculously priced ships, and all the promised features seemed to be rather far fetched.

So first impression (running 980Ti, i7-2600K, 32GB RAM, SSD) is that the game runs alright with my older rig and looks fantastic. I *loved* all the attention to detail and how the environment can affect you (vacuum/pressure, lack of oxygen, etc); the ship interiors are just gorgeous. Being able to go from a space station to a ship to a planet, with the amount of detail shown, is just ridiculously cool and has so much potential.

That being said, the netcode is a HUGE let down. My internet connection is 250 Mb/s down and 16 Mb/s up, with generally low latency to most places in the US, but I experienced frequent rubber-banding and general sync issues (falling through floors, etc). I figured the lag might just affect the open world part of the game, due to poor server performance and too many people, so I tried the FPS portion and experienced the same issues. Clearly the netcode is not up to snuff. This is something they really need to focus on as it absolutely kills the experience.

There also doesn't feel like a lot to do and given how long this game has been in development and how much money RSI has raised, I'm kind of shocked they aren't further along. Yes they've accomplished amazing technical feats such as the incredible planetary landings (Elite II had them but not with this fidelity); yes the ships feel real and look great; yes you feel like each ship will feel different to operate. Unfortunately, in its current state, the whole thing feels like a big tech demo - almost like RSI forgot they are making a game and that it needs to not just be graphically incredible but also fun.

I'm going to give it a few more tries but unless RSI starts focusing more on gameplay content, I don't see Star Citizen being much of a game any time soon. I'm thinking it'll be at least another 2-3 years of development before it actually starts to feel like a game worth paying for.

News Comments > Steam Competitor Coming from China
2. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 11:27 Digitalfiends

Does each download include a free copy of the latest malware/spyware flavour of the month?  

News Comments > MechWarrior Lawsuit Settled
9. Re: MechWarrior Lawsuit Settled Jun 23, 2018, 00:22 Digitalfiends

Anyone interested in the history and details of this lawsuit with regards to the BattleTech franchise in general, check out this lawyer's set of videos - in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiWjKXroQf0

As a long time fan of BattleTech with an original 3025 Technical Readout containing the cool "unseen" designs (Macross-based mechs), it pisses me off that Harmony Gold doesn't actually seem to have the rights to claim copyright violation in the first place. It sounds like they are just bullying other companies while not having a legal leg to stand on - but with litigation being so costly, there has been no opportunity for a judge to smack down Harmony Gold's BS.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2018, 20:45 Digitalfiends

We tend to get a lot of grass spiders in our unfinished basement in the spring and I have a zero-tolerance policy for them. We occasionally get those super-fast million-legged centipede things and those die as well. I look at it this way: if I came into their lair, I'd be dead; so I return the favour. I will usually relocate grass hoppers and lady bugs if they wander inside. Outside, I have no problem with bugs, unless it is it's wasps.

The problem with not thinning out the insects that get into your home is that they reproduce very quickly and next thing you know, those one or two spiders are now ten or twenty. Cobwebs collect dust and, I'd imagine to many people, make a home seem dirty. So I'm not buying what the article is saying. If you've got other pests in your house, especially mosquitoes, I'd rather address the root cause versus inviting more insects inside to take care of them.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Video Leak?
13. Re: RAGE 2 Video Leak? May 14, 2018, 12:36 Digitalfiends

El Pit wrote on May 14, 2018, 10:09:
Looks like Mad Max but with all the colors of the 1980s.

Mad Max was the 80s

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI
3. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI May 11, 2017, 11:07 Digitalfiends

As long as it understands, "shutup Wesley", it should be fine.  

News Comments > Pro Cycling Manager 2016 Announced
3. Re: Pro Cycling Manager 2016 Announced May 20, 2016, 14:19 Digitalfiends

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2016, 11:03:
I ride daily but I dislike the behaviors of my fellow "spandex" cyclists immensely -- like blowing through stop signs,

I don't mind fellow cyclists that slow and roll through a stop if it's safe but the guys that just fly through stop signs at full tilt give us all a bad name. The same could be said about drivers though - almost no driver ever comes to proper stop. Thankfully, most at least slow down.

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2016, 11:03:
snarling faces, racing others without a cause,
/ off topic rant

I've had people chase me down when I'm just out for a tempo ride but it doesn't bother me much - I understand the natural competitive urges us guys have - like a dog chasing a rabbit. It's just funny when the clydes do it then get dropped at the next climb.

News Comments > Pro Cycling Manager 2016 Announced
2. Re: Pro Cycling Manager 2016 Announced May 20, 2016, 14:10 Digitalfiends

Needs more clenbuterol...  

News Comments > Start Wars Battlefront Patch Adds Map
6. Re: Start Wars Battlefront Patch Adds Map Feb 23, 2016, 12:34 Digitalfiends

Start Wars Battlefront, huh? I smell a lawsuit coming...  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 7, 2016, 23:02 Digitalfiends

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 13:47:
Just for a moment, as I started reading that headline, I finished it in my mind as

"Red Dead Redemption is now available in PC."

*sigh*

I don't know why but RDR always appealed to me more than the GTA series and yet it sadly never came to the PC. I have a PS3 but I prefer to play those types of games on a PC.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 6, 2016, 21:53 Digitalfiends

Julio wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 14:50:
$1 million is a stiff penalty which should make sure the TV station doesn't try to pull this again. Hard lesson to swallow for them I'm sure.

Hopefully this teaches them to erect better rules to prevent reporters from prematurely coming up with inappropriate fluff penises...er pieces.

18 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo