Descending
Limit Results:

16 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: On Remastering The Mass Effect Trilogy
Apr 14, 2021, 11:43
Re: On Remastering The Mass Effect Trilogy Apr 14, 2021, 11:43
Apr 14, 2021, 11:43

I'm not up to date on Bioware "producing woke content," but I did notice that the outfits on some of the female characters are decidedly tighter in the remake, and in some cases their lips are larger. The viral outrage article "Bioware Enhances Female Characters' Sexual Characteristics in Mass Effect Update" almost writes itself...

Re: MW5: Mercenaries & DLC Coming to Steam and GOG.COM in May
Mar 21, 2021, 21:36
Re: MW5: Mercenaries & DLC Coming to Steam and GOG.COM in May Mar 21, 2021, 21:36
Mar 21, 2021, 21:36

Yeah. I feel like there were some really good people at PGI in the beginning, who set Mechwarrior Online up on really solid ground. Then they must have left the company, because for years the patches for that game have at best been treading water, sometimes making the game better and sometimes making it worse. And, obviously, MW5 was a complete mess despite being in development for some time.

It's surprising because PGI's president clearly has a real love for Battletech, and the company has fought long and hard for the game (including in court against Harmony Gold, for the rights to older mechs). They are just incompetent at actually making a good game.

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 21, 2021, 20:54
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2021, 20:54
Mar 21, 2021, 20:54

I greatly enjoyed the Snyder cut and really didn't like the original. Very well done. The length didn't bother me. In my view the new version took it from a pretty bad movie to a bit above average for a superhero movie (certainly better than Batman vs. Superman and most non-Nolan DC movies).

The only thing that bothered me was the ridiculous scene where the ladies sing after Aquaman goes into the sea. That should have been cut.

Re: Group of bipartisan senators pushes for permanent Daylight Saving Time
Mar 10, 2021, 13:56
Re: Group of bipartisan senators pushes for permanent Daylight Saving Time Mar 10, 2021, 13:56
Mar 10, 2021, 13:56

No! Permanent standard time. Why mess with time at all? Plus, permanent DST means everyone is getting up early, sometimes way before sunrise in the winter. According to Wikipedia, both the UK and Russia tried permanent DST and abandoned it, reverting to permanent standard time.

There is no reason to mess with standard time. Just get rid of DST.

Re: Valheim Hits Five Million Vikings
Mar 3, 2021, 12:36
Re: Valheim Hits Five Million Vikings Mar 3, 2021, 12:36
Mar 3, 2021, 12:36

It's well deserved. Valheim is a great little game. It brings me back to my days in Ultima Online of all things, with a super open-world layout and game play focused on discovery (both of new lands and of new ways to create things).

Re: Star Citizen Raises More Cash
Mar 30, 2020, 10:58
Re: Star Citizen Raises More Cash Mar 30, 2020, 10:58
Mar 30, 2020, 10:58

I remain amazed that people keep throwing money down this hole.

Re: DOOM Eternal More Than Doubles DOOM (2016) Player Count
Mar 23, 2020, 15:49
Re: DOOM Eternal More Than Doubles DOOM (2016) Player Count Mar 23, 2020, 15:49
Mar 23, 2020, 15:49

Agreed on all counts.

1) The new locations look awesome but also feel kind of silly and nonsensical.

2) The plot took a huge step backwards IMO. Doom 2016 had a very slick plot presented entirely in-game, and it held together very well. Doom Eternal has some ridiculously complicated monstrosity of a plot presented by codex entries that you slowly pick up and then have to read through.

I never liked the name "Doom Slayer" (they couldn't have done "Doom Soldier"? Really?) so I do like that they are now calling him "Doomguy." But it was much cooler when he was a faceless force of demon-stomping, "unstoppable, incorruptible, unyielding" like in Doom 2016.

3) I'm fine with the humor, but the base is annoying. Sure, it's massive and impressive and whatever, but it takes way too long to walk around between missions.

4) Yeah, I get what they were going for I think (make the single-death difficulty playable). But it still feels weird that loading your checkpoint save-game doesn't restore lost lives. Those are just gone.

But yeah, I'm really enjoying it overall too.

Re: X4: Foundations 3.0 Update and X4: Split Vendetta This Month
Mar 19, 2020, 11:44
Re: X4: Foundations 3.0 Update and X4: Split Vendetta This Month Mar 19, 2020, 11:44
Mar 19, 2020, 11:44

Wow, I'm a longtime X series fan (at least through X3. Definitely not after that...) and I hadn't heard of Avorion. Can't wait to check it out!

I don't know what has happened to Egosoft. X1-X3:AP were all solid, and X3:TC verged on being great. Then it all fell apart.

Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today
Mar 19, 2020, 11:39
Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 11:39
Mar 19, 2020, 11:39

Yeah, this seems insane, although I'm sure it's dependent on your local area. Here, schools, childcare, restaurants, small businesses, courts, and seemingly everything else is shut down. There is no traffic, you don't see anyone out, etc. Yet Gamestop wants people to come in for something that's easily and safely available by digital delivery??

Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
Jan 14, 2019, 21:08
Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 14, 2019, 21:08
Jan 14, 2019, 21:08

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 19:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 19:47:
Fallout76 is buttered popcorn.

Sounds like UO all over again...let's let the players police the griefers, I'm sure it'll work this time!

I came here to say this. These are actually some of my favorite memories of old-school Ultima Online. It was a real wild west, highlighting all of the good and bad humanity has to offer when there is total anonymity and few rules.

Those were good times for me, actually, but I don't feel like I want to try it again with Fallout 76.

Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes
Mar 16, 2018, 00:20
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes Mar 16, 2018, 00:20
Mar 16, 2018, 00:20

Osc8r wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 17:17:
Is the game audio that bad they feel the need to cover it up with shitty music?

I'll try it because it's mechwarrior co-op, but after the abortion that mech online turned out to be i have fairly low hopes.

What's wrong with Mechwarrior online?

Re: Tyranny Expansion Next Month
Aug 23, 2017, 21:19
Re: Tyranny Expansion Next Month Aug 23, 2017, 21:19
Aug 23, 2017, 21:19

Jivaro wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 20:30:
How does the Blues community feel about this game?

I love it and I think it's well worth buying, personally. It's much better than Pillars of Eternity in my view.

Sep 13, 2016, 21:34
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2016, 21:34
Sep 13, 2016, 21:34

Simon Says wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 16:04:
Ahhhh, the smartphone market atm is a mess... I can't recommend anything from the big vendors. Apple with its 3.5mmgeddon crap, Samsung refusing to support expandable batteries anymore, LG with its latest monstrosity isn't really an option either despite having almost everything right, its replaceable battery option is subpar.

And the one your buddy recommends is also without a 3.5mm jack.

I'd recommend you look at older models or wait and cross your fingers that someone, somewhere wakes the fuck up and get its act together and has everything in this list:

-Screen with good sunlight visibility
-3.5mm jack
-Replaceable battery for expanded battery
-SD card slot

Anything less and I wouldn't touch it nor recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: Damn Cutter, nice phones on that list, especially the one with a 6000mah battery, Conquest S8.

I disagree on your list of criteria.

Most phones are pretty decent in the sun these days -- and you're never going to want to read a reflective object in the bright sun for long periods of time anyway.

The lack of a 1/8" jack on the iPhone 7 doesn't bother me. It comes with lightning earbuds, an adapter if needed, and I typically use Bluetooth headphones anyway. And people forget that, before the recent smartphone craze, phones rarely had 1/8" jacks at all, and we all got along just fine.

I actually think a replaceable battery is a net downside these days. If you want the battery to be swappable, you either have to have a thick phone, or a pretty flimsy-feeling back plate. And after years of having blackberries (all with swappable batteries), I found that I never needed to change it out anyway.

I agree that an SD card slot is nice, but in my view, on the whole, it's not that important. It's good if you want to keep a ton of movies or big games on your phone. Otherwise, it seems like the built in memory is good enough most of the time.

For me, personally, the criteria are very different:

- Reliability. It needs to work when I turn it on, not crash, and not have security issues. I'd also prefer not to have to uninstall crapware or bloated carrier software.
- Good battery life, and an accurate battery indicator.
- Durability. It needs to not break when I drop it.
- Decent apps.
- Updates
- Good reception

Most big-name phones meet those criteria these days, although it seems like the non-Nexus Android phones fall down a bit on the software reliability and updates fronts.

Sep 13, 2016, 21:19
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2016, 21:19
Sep 13, 2016, 21:19

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 20:15:
Goodtry wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 19:25:
Just get an iPhone. It's reliable, durable, and you get updates frequently.

Durable? Aren't they famous for their extremely fragile screens? I'm constantly seeing friends and coworkers with spider webbed screens they can't afford (money or effort I dunno) to replace.

You must have a rowdy social circle. My iPhone 6 plus has outlasted three cases and survived many drops. Same for my wife's iPhone 6 (although I think she's on her first or second case).

We don't hesitate to hand them over to our 15 month old when she's bored -- if that's not a testament to a phone's durability, I don't know what could be.

And there is also water and scratch resistance. The 6S was splash resistant, and the 7 is supposed to be better. And I haven't managed to scratch my 6 plus at all -- not even tiny hairline scratches -- in the two years I've been carrying it.

All told, the iPhone is probably pretty similar to the average on drop resistance, better than average on scratch resistance, and much better than average on water resistance. I'd call that pretty durable.

Sep 13, 2016, 19:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2016, 19:25
Sep 13, 2016, 19:25

Just get an iPhone. It's reliable, durable, and you get updates frequently. And so many people use it that any major problems shake out quickly.

If you don't want your phone to be a major feature of your life, the iPhone is the answer in my opinion.

Re: MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion
Jul 23, 2015, 01:25
Re: MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion Jul 23, 2015, 01:25
Jul 23, 2015, 01:25

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 23:52:
Primalchrome wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:22:

The last time this game came up there was much whining about P2W, 3PV, and CW.... Yet none of those folks could provide a single argument/example that had an impact on the current game.

What? You can buy in-game consumables with real money and 4 of them ONLY with real money. That makes it pay to win, you can pay to circumvent gameplay elements.

That's literally not true. All of those consumables are available with in-game currency, and the in-game currency versions are equally good (once you have bought the upgrade, one time, using in-game XP). You obviously haven't played much MWO.

I wasn't around for the beta or anything like that, I came into MWO about a year and a half ago. It's a great game, and I play it regularly. All this whining is from people who want the game to be something that it is not.

The last Mechwarrior games I played were MW2, MW2: Mercenaries, and MW3. Since then, none of the games really excited me until MWO. It's really a very nice game, with some minor flaws.

And it is not pay to win at all. The only mechs that require real money are the "hero" mechs, which (with one or two exceptions) are outright worse than the in-game mechs. The reason that you buy them is because they give you a 30% bonus to in-game earnings for each match, which you can then use to get mechs that don't suck, for free. You can pay all you want, and the most that it will do is cut the in-game grind by less than half.

I don't really get all of the hate that people have for MWO.
16 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older