Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 165 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog
30. Re: No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog Nov 30, 2016, 20:14 Peter M. Smith

DangerDog wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 17:23
uick question, where is Hello Games located? [/quote:

Guildford, Surrey, England. Why?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog
21. Re: No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog Nov 30, 2016, 16:12 Peter M. Smith

Talisorn wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 15:15:
People jump to the conclusion there's payoffs and conspiracies where there's no. The ASA is a UK organisation. It's not as US organisation. No corruption to see. Suggestions that there is is just petulant trolling.

Let's set aside the ASA for a moment here, mostly because I know of their reputation even on this side of the Pond. Rather let's focus on the second part of what you said. Just because an entity is a UK entity means they're above suspicion for shady behavior? I'm sorry, but I'm not that na´ve. Everybody has their dirty secrets, everybody.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 16:02 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 7, 2016, 12:33:
I never understood people who spent hours buying a car. It should never take you more than 30 minutes to seal the deal.

In no particular order:

* Research the vehicle's cost with the options you want. There are plenty of resources available online that you can cross-reference. I usually go with median -$500 UNLESS I find a screaming deal at a particular dealership.
* Know, down to the penny, how much you want to pay for the vehicle and stick to it. Do not waver.

Can't understand why people spend hours buying a car. Suggests a couple of hours worth of research. Mixed message here.

Cars are usually the second largest investment of cash and credit a person will make after their mortgage. It's worth taking the time and going through the entire process. Otherwise you'll end up trying to reach an imaginary deadline and could make a very expensive mistake.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 12:03 Peter M. Smith

The last car I bought, I went to one dealership for the test drive. Told the salesman that I was not going to buy that day, but I wanted the price for the car. I then told him I was going to shop the car with the other dealerships in the area, best price wins. It was about a week or two of follow-up e-mails, in the end the only dealership I set foot in was the one I started the process at. If you're patient enough to go this route you might want to consider it.

Just be sure to have the discipline to push through the crap. A few places told me that I'd have to bring in my old car to get a trade value worked out, that they had this great model that was everything I did not ask for, that financing blah blah blah. If they don't give you the answer you're looking for ("How much for this car, with these features/accessories?"), call them out on it and tell them they get one more chance to get it right. And be willing to walk away if they don't.

As an aside, in a few months I have to go through this process again. My car, the one I mentioned above? Cheater VW diesel. Going to cash out and get something else.

News Comments > Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory Announced
2. Re: Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory Announced Nov 2, 2016, 07:59 Peter M. Smith

ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 00:33:
But still some of this looks like it should be patched in and not sold as a exp pack. But it is paradox, so the games they sell are generally parted out to begin with. Looking at you Cities: Skylines...

Stellaris and HoI IV have been my gateway to Paradox, and if the Leviathans expansion for Stellaris is any indication then some of the content will be patched in for users while some will be part of the expansion.

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak?
2. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Title Leak? Nov 1, 2016, 11:35 Peter M. Smith

They also point out that if this is legitimate, it being spotted in Montreal could be an indication that this will be developed by Square Enix Montreal, rather than series originator Crystal Dynamics.

Possible, but it feels like a reach. The picture shows somebody working on a document on the subway, it does not show somebody working on the game itself. It is just as likely (if not more so) that somebody is prepping for a meeting while on the subway.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Announced
6. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 15:27 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 15:04:
But then I saw the three screenshots on the forum post.

Until somebody says "This is what the final artwork will look like." then I wouldn't worry. And that second pic made me smile, looks like the resource gathering mini game from SC II.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 17, 2016, 11:00 Peter M. Smith

Kosumo wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 18:37:
Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 17:30:
Fion wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 13:57:
5 days till Civ VI. Cannot f'in wait! :D

I can, and will. $80 for an incomplete game? Um hells no.

Incomplete game? Can you explain that please?

I've asked that question before, never got an answer. I even pointed out Let's Play previews (Quill18 being my go-to for this), asking Cutter about which concepts from Civ V are missing from Civ VI.

News Comments > More GOG.com Connect
1. Re: More GOG.com Connect Sep 26, 2016, 10:40 Peter M. Smith

It's a great idea, but it looks like GoG Connect doesn't cover DLC. I bought into the Founder's Edition for Galactic Civilization III. At Steam I have the game and all DLC. At GoG I have the base game.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Specifications
9. Re: Civilization VI Specifications Sep 23, 2016, 23:49 Peter M. Smith

GinRummy wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 22:36:
Has the actual Sid Meier been within a hundred miles of the development of any of the last several Civ games? He probably has about as much to due with programming these any more as Tom Clancy or John Madden did with theirs.

Watching the dev videos for the various Firaxis games, yes. He may not be doing development or programming work, but he does sit in the design meetings. Jake Soloman (XCOM) and David McDonough (Civ: Beyond Earth) both said that Sid's door is always open, that they would sit down with him and work through a difficult issue.

News Comments > Civilization VI Specifications
4. Re: Civilization VI Specifications Sep 23, 2016, 21:00 Peter M. Smith

descender wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 20:18:
I know this isn't what he meant but I don't know why anyone buys these games before the 2 expansions and the GOTY version drop.

People don't want to wait a year or two after the game is released to play it.

News Comments > BT Steamed at Valve: Suing
1. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 10:23 Peter M. Smith

They also note that the concepts presented are broad enough that BT could (and perhaps will) sue companies like Twitch and YouTube over the same issues.

Or the courts will find that these were improperly granted patents, owing to many cases of prior art being presented at trial.

News Comments > Master of Orion Launched
11. Re: Master of Orion Launched Aug 26, 2016, 16:31 Peter M. Smith

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 13:32:
Interesting how the release version cost less than the early access version did

Early Access had you buy the Collector's Edition version, general release gives you an option to buy just the base game or the CE.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced
10. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced Aug 25, 2016, 09:35 Peter M. Smith

Numinar wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 08:34:
...and Civ 5 got REALLY good once the two expansions (And super cheap DLC sales) brought the thunder so I imagine whatever this game ends up being at launch it will end up being a worthy Civ game after a year or two. But fingers crossed for launch!

One thing Firaxis focused on early in the marketing campaign is that the game concepts that were added in the Civ V DLC are going to be in the base launch of Civ VI. So we're not going to get the feature yank that we had when Civ V launched, compared to what was in the final version of Civ IV.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 17:57 Peter M. Smith

All the snark about Fox, and yet nobody wanted to pick up Firefly. Not even SciFi back when they were focused on science fiction.

Look, aside from the people who think Whedon could do no wrong, nobody cared about Firefly. Hell, that was his second shot at putting that crew together and he still couldn't last more than a season on the small screen.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Alpha Video
12. Re: BATTLETECH Alpha Video Aug 8, 2016, 17:39 Peter M. Smith

I played this at GenCon. Listen, as a long time BattleTech player and somebody who works the Catalyst Games Lab booth every GenCon (CGL is the company that holds the license to produce BattleTech from Topps), Harebrained Schemes version plays like table top. For me the game took all of the best parts of the TT game and gave that to the player. Then it took all of the crappy busywork and gave it to the computer. Mitch Gitelman was also at GenCon, what I said above is the answer I gave him when he asked my opinion on the build. That answer, he said, made his day. Given how his face lit up I knew he wasn't stroking my ego.

HBS is advertising the game as pre-Alpha, so I asked the dev who was standing over my shoulder how far along things were. Graphics are at about 80%, features are at 70%. The biggest missing component for the combat engine was physical attacks, the reason for them not being in the build ended up being crappy animations. If things keep progressing along at the same level of quality as they have been then I think this game was probably the best $50 I spent on gaming last year.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Lost Treasures DLC
3. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Lost Treasures DLC Jul 27, 2016, 22:40 Peter M. Smith

Ponying up for the Founders Edition has been worth it. It was either this DLC or the prior one that I came out ahead.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus
9. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus Jul 23, 2016, 11:01 Peter M. Smith

Tumbler wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 10:10:
The civ video's they're putting up are definitely scratching the Civ itch for me, I installed civ V again and am playing that.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Community Balance Patch mod right now. If you're trying to satisfy that itch again, I suggest you give it a try. And if you're a "look before you leap" type with your mods, Quill18 has some Let's Play videos of the mod (albeit slightly older versions).

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus
6. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Preorder Bonus Jul 22, 2016, 10:03 Peter M. Smith

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 08:49:
I have to agree, I will wait until Steam puts this game on sale with the dlc. Just like Civ 5, you have to wait for at least the first dlc to have a decent game.

Given that Ed Beach has said that Civ VI will launch with almost all of the feature set as Civ V has at this time, I fail to see how you can say waiting for the DLC is a requirement.

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
14. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 16:22 Peter M. Smith

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:28:
Always.

But that's not the same as DDU.

The 'fresh install' option just does an uninstall of the current version before installing the new version.
It's not a system sweep of any/all files/references/etc like DDU tries to do.

Realistically, the only way to guarantee that there is no junk/infestation from old drivers, is to load a clean image and install fresh. Can't be infested by something that didn't yet exist (in that system).

-scheherazade

Cool, thanks. I've not heard of DDU before, I've trusted the check box when I update my drivers. Knock on wood I have not had any issues so far.

165 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo