Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 165 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 09:47 Peter M. Smith

This year I've only seen one of the winners (The Jungle Book), with another one in my pile of Blu-Ray backlog (Arrival). I enjoyed this take on Kipling's story, not quite the pure Disney of their 1967 version of the movie.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hearts of Iron IV Sells 500K Copies
1. Re: Hearts of Iron IV Sells 500K Copies Feb 20, 2017, 11:59 Peter M. Smith

Fun game, if you don't mind playing something a little thick.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access Feb 13, 2017, 12:41 Peter M. Smith

MacLeod wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 11:14:
For $1000, you physically get:

Collector’s Ornate Box
Unique T-Shirt with Your Name
Inqusitor’s Chalice
Map of the Caligari Sector (Cloth)
Caligari Credit Coins (Metal)
Inqusitor’s Pendrive (16 GB)
Signed Hardcover Book
Exclusive Half-Day Studio Tour * (travel fees not included)

There is literally nothing in that pack worth more than a couple hundred even if you were into the game collector's piece thing. For the $1000, I'd say they'd have to include travel and lodgings for it to be worth that amount.

The studio is in Budapest. Round trip tickets from Chicago and NYC are around $600. From the west coast of the US? $700-$1000, depending on where you're leaving from. Leave from a regional airport rather than a hub? Expect to pay more (Milwaukee, only 70-ish miles north of Chicago, more than doubled the price). That's why it's on you to cover travel expenses.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2017, 10:44 Peter M. Smith

descender wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 10:15:
Snowblowers suck, they leave too much snow behind creating icy disasters of a sidewalk. Manual shovel FTW.

Bad technique is not the fault of the tool, but of the operator.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Backer Beta Next Month
7. Re: BATTLETECH Backer Beta Next Month Feb 9, 2017, 09:29 Peter M. Smith

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 04:55:
Yeah, agreed. Still. The management, salvage, Mech customization etc, is basically the bread and butter of these types of games. Hopefully they are simply not showing these things and don't have to build them from scratch. Ditto for the campaign.

I asked about physical attacks last August. The response was they had coded the attacks into the engine the week before, but the placeholder animation looked like crap. This was the deciding reason to use an older build for the demo play. So I'm guessing they're going with "We're not showing." and not "We're still building."

News Comments > BATTLETECH Backer Beta Next Month
5. Re: BATTLETECH Backer Beta Next Month Feb 8, 2017, 16:28 Peter M. Smith

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 03:02:
Sounds like they still have a lot of work to do on this game before release.

Based on what I played at GenCon last year it looks like they're working from a strong foundation.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2017, 14:01 Peter M. Smith

Sad to hear about Richard Hatch.

Interesting stat about his professional life - he played Tom Zarek for more episodes that he played Apollo.

News Comments > Fallout 4 High-Resolution Textures
21. Re: Fallout 4 High-Resolution Textures Feb 7, 2017, 09:00 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 08:22:
I'm still not falling for it though, this franchise is long dead and the game itself is a bad joke - NMA FO4 Review.

You're going to post a review of Fallout 4 by the users of NMA? That's like asking Karl Rove to critique Bernie Sanders' campaign. You may find nuggets of truth in there, but the sheer disgust by the reviewer of the material will mean there's pretty much no chance of the work being objective.

News Comments > Alien Covenant VR Experience Plans
11. Re: Alien Covenant VR Experience Plans Jan 4, 2017, 16:48 Peter M. Smith

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 15:32:
All this effort put forth by Weyland to obtain an Alien for their "bio weapons division" ... who exactly is the enemy they're wanting to take out with this weapon? Is Russia still the generic bad guy in the future?

The Marines bantering in Aliens (before the drop from the Sulaco) indicated that humanity had run into other species in the universe. Frost and Spunkmeyer tales of tail along with Hudson's bug hunt question are what you're looking for.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Early Access
21. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Early Access Dec 30, 2016, 12:11 Peter M. Smith

MacLeod wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 10:46:
It's odd to me... it made sense that you don't do a 1:1 port of Shadowrun rules, since it was an RPG and the mechanics were a bit much. It seems odder not to make a near 1:1 port of the Battletech rules though, since the minutia would be handled by the computer anyway. It only really got complex in actual mech design, which would really mostly be handled by the game, if they even allow custom mechs.

Well, the tabletop game did get a near 1:1 port with MegaMek. Unfortunately it's not polished at all. BattleTech can also be horrifically complex, as the current primary rulebook (Total Warfare) along with the first set of advanced rules (Tactical Operations) clocks in at about 750 pages. That's not counting the construction rules, which is its own book.

20. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Early Access Dec 30, 2016, 12:04 Peter M. Smith

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 11:16:
i guess i should have been more specific, i wasnt trying to imply an exact copy, but i guess thats how it sounds - however it does have the same rules system in general, in the sense of types of actions, damage modeling, etc.

they had a long post about melee combat recently as well

my point is that its like a recreation of the tabletop RPG instead of another RTS like mechcommander, which is what i had thought it was for some reason

It's tough to dig too deeply into the video that HBS released, due to it's pre-alpha status. But some of the biggest changes that I noticed were running movement was replaced with sprinting (faster, but can't shoot), that hexes may have been removed (I'm leaning towards them being in there but not drawn on the UI), and the weapon damage values don't scale up the same. Energy weapons, autocannons, and SRMs are displaying their tabletop damage x5, but LRMs are at x4. It also looks like splitting fire is not in the game (as of the time of the video). The change in the initiative, however, is a complete departure from the tabletop game. Breaking out the initiative based on weight class versus straight side winning or losing.

15. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Early Access Dec 30, 2016, 07:28 Peter M. Smith

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 21:17:
Steazy wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 19:15:
Why does everyone have to make their Mech games so terrible?

that new Battletech game looks bad ass... i thought it was gonna be RTS like mech commander, but its full on TBS and has all the rules like the pen and paper version

HBS's BattleTech game will not be a 1:1 port of the tabletop game. Jordan and Ross said that when the Kickstarter went live. Rather it'll be a game that feels like BattleTech without all the annoying minutia, much like their Shadowrun games have been.

Also, please note the proper spelling: BattleTech. The "T" is capitalized.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 11:50 Peter M. Smith

Sex wax? The guy who came up with that was my old roommate's high school chem teacher. He took a salary of $1/year, got the bennies, and flew home for the weekends.

Not a bad gig if you can swing it.

News Comments > Arizona Sunshine i7-Exclusive Content Released for All
12. Re: Arizona Sunshine i7-Exclusive Content Released for All Dec 8, 2016, 15:09 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2016, 13:03:
Just look at those fucking gift bags for the Oscars. It's goddamned obscene.

Oscar gift bags are pure marketing, and you've proven that the marketing is successful. People talk about them at the shows, talk about them after the shows, and people are bringing them up in conversations about something else.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
46. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 12:43 Peter M. Smith

PacoTaco wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 10:26:
Just type Unreal 4 demo or environmental art test or Crytek not even alpha and tell me if you cant find 10 things that look better then this pile of shite looking "professional" pre-alpha. It is 100% underwhelming. I use this engine everyday, I know what it can do. This is a sad pile of shit. Even the death animation of that mech is 100% sad, no parts fly off, no location based animations or rigged body effects, plays a bad animations and they throw a few emitters on it. I could write 20 pages on how bad this demo is. Hey just so you know I want it to be good it is not.

Great, you know how to fix everything. Submit your resume to the company and work on the game. Make it the awesome thing you know you can make it be.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 4, 2016, 19:37 Peter M. Smith

The Pyro wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 18:27:
It's a different engine, but based on the Shadowhawk and the Raven in this video they're clearly sharing artwork between projects, and that gives them a significant head start to including a huge variety of mechs in the campaign. There are 72 totally different 3D mech models in MWO right now with more on the way. That's a nice head start.

I think they've got a fair shot at making a good game. Good luck to them.

The new game won't be able to use all of the models, based on the storyline. Any of the Clan designs are thirty-five years down the timeline. Even the Raven in the video shouldn't have shown up for another nine years. Now that said, I took a look at the 'Mechs listed as playable in MWO. What's left gives you a good selection to build a game around, even if you stick with the so-called Introductory Tech of 3015.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
28. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 3, 2016, 14:17 Peter M. Smith

Though the jacket is slick, I couldn't justify spending that much scratch for one.  

20. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 2, 2016, 09:14 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 08:21:
How did you think this was a MechWarrior title? I mean BattleTech is pretty much a hint for 'TableTop-Like.'

I had a chance to play the demo at GenCon last year. A day or two later I found myself talking to Mitch for a few minutes, he asked me what I thought of the game. I told him playing it was like playing BattleTech, only without any of the book keeping. I'd say it's not table top-like, I'd say it's full-on table top.

8. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 23:20 Peter M. Smith

Ranger55 wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 22:12:
No. The guys behind this are actually the guys behind the new Shadowrun games. This is going to be a computerized version of the tabletop game. They are actually working closely with Catalyst Game Labs, the current owner and publisher of the tabletop game.

We publish BattleTech, we don't own the IP. We license the game from Topps, the same group that Mitch said HBS licensed the merchandise rights from.

That said, Randall Bills (CGL employee) is working with HBS on the game.

3. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 21:53 Peter M. Smith

DrSquick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:24:
OoooOOooo, was this the company that had those mech pods that would be at gaming conventions that you could pay $20 or so to play a 10 or 15 minute match and the pods would rumble all around? Those were a blast!

No.

165 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo