Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 226 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Stellaris: Apocalypse Now!
5. Re: Stellaris: Apocalypse Now! Feb 22, 2018, 16:13 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 16:06:
I'm assuming that means on a train or subway. Do you do that frequently? Does anyone ever recognize what you're playing or ask?

Train, and I seek out the designated quiet cars. Talking is heavily discouraged, which allows me to unwind at the end of the day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stellaris: Apocalypse Now!
2. Re: Stellaris: Apocalypse Now! Feb 22, 2018, 14:14 Peter M. Smith

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 14:06:
Sweet. Gonna start playing this in the next few weeks (after I'm done with Witcher 3!), and this expansion looks very fun.

I *may* have brought my laptop to work today...and I may have picked up the DLC...and I might end up playing a little on the commute home.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2018, 11:35 Peter M. Smith

A 19 year old is not a child. He's an adult.  

News Comments > New Paradox CEO
21. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 14, 2018, 09:12 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 22:24:
Based on the feedback they received on /r/Stellaris and the Paradox forums. One of the major gripes was lack of strategy on the galactic map and the inability to create and hold chokepoints. Wiz addressed this in a tweet a bit ago, IIRC.

Understood, thanks.

16. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 17:21 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 16:51:
The new Cherryh update that completely revamps the galaxy map and how traversing that map works? We, the players, largely asked for it.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. From what I recall, early dev diaries for the patch and DLC talked about two soon-to-disappear (unless you use Steam's beta feature) FTL systems were getting tossed because it would allow the rest of the game's development to progress meaningfully. More of a strategic decision than a user request.

15. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 17:18 Peter M. Smith

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:49:
See, I don't get that sentiment AT ALL. What exactly is "awesome" about a piecemeal delivery? What is awesome about getting game mechanics delivered YEARS later that should have been (and were most likely planned to be) in the game from the start?

It's great that the systems work from the moment they're released. Years of post-launch support means the game gets gradual updates that get designed, developed, coded, and tested with ample time to devote to each stage.

And it's really tough to say that what's getting added to the game was planned from the start, when the next patch is going to rip out two of the three forms of FTL that were there at launch.

7. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 14:24 Peter M. Smith

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 13:50:
From what I understand, the new CEO comes from a gambling site background. If you've listened to the Paradox podcast, it's depressingly clear that they want to start introducing lootbox mechanics, which adds some possible context to why they made this move.

I absolutely love Paradox and like their DLC policy, but this really worries me. I hope I'm off base on this one.

I was listening to the Stellaris Apocalypse Terran Empire #2 Let's Play from three days ago. A question that came in during the live feed was about lootboxes. "We're not fans. The closest we'll get is a Lute Box for Europa Universalis." If somebody else in the company is leaning that way that could change things. But the project lead for Stellaris has given his position.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
10. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 12:16 Peter M. Smith

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 11:22:
That's a nice grid to lay it all out.

540P though? That's a number born from, who the hell knows.

I like the grid. As for the 540p, did somebody slice a 1080p in half?

2. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 12:14 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 11:19:
So they can focus on yet more DLC. Pretty soon that's all they'll make. Can't stand this company.

Costs money to continue to develop released games. Crusader Kings II was released in February of 2012. The most recent patch came out December of 2017. Almost six years of post-release patching. Where do you think the funds come from to pay for the development?

Or you can sit and listen to their livestreams for the upcoming Stellaris DLC. People are asking which feature being shown is going to be part of the DLC or part of the patch. It's roughly a 50/50 split, with new content leaning DLC and QoL improvements leaning patch.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2018, 14:50 Peter M. Smith

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 11:13:
That's what people think right?

Try: "Whelp, three weeks from now I'll be living in a hotel while I support a go-live. I'll need something to do when I'm not sleeping or working. Don't want to lug the home rig around, so a compromise is acceptable."

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2018, 12:33 Peter M. Smith

Beamer, we got a Shake Shack out here last year, maybe the year before. The burger was good, but it wasn't "worth the price" good (same problem with Epic Burger, frankly) We've yet to get In-n-Out, the nearest one is a long day's drive each way. So you make do with what you have.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2018, 10:36 Peter M. Smith

After having eaten there a few times, I put Smash Burger in the category of "Trying too hard." They just couldn't figure out how to get "it", like Five Guys did.  

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
58. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 16:34 Peter M. Smith

Kxmode wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 15:00:
The Fair Use doctrine covers a broad assortment of stuff. I didn't mention parody because it's irrelevant here because most Let's Plays aren't "parody." However, since you brought up Weird Al, it is worth noting that he goes out of his way to get the creator's permission and tries to produce work with their blessing. Pretty sure most Let's Plays don't.

Regardless of the fact that Al's morals guide him to do more than what he is legally required to do, it doesn't change the fact that your initial statement is, as presented, incorrect. I could have brought up 2 Live Crew's legal issues with their Pretty Woman parody, where they were told they could not license the original, made their song anyway, were sued, went to the Supreme Court, and had the SCOTUS confirm fair use did apply to 2LC's work. But then I felt that might be a little too obscure for this group and decided to go with the more widely known example of a person making a living off of the content created by other people.

47. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 14:24 Peter M. Smith

4D-Boxing wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:49:
Excellent point and seems like common sense. The answer is probably the same as the one to this question... what's stopping developers or publishers from asking clients before changing the terms of use after they were accepted by the client.

Asking them what?

4D-Boxing wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 12:49:
I've never watched any and not interested in starting. Just trying to point out that things are not as cut and dry as we think. Not trying to be a D.

You didn't come across as a D, so don't worry about that.

45. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 14:13 Peter M. Smith

Kxmode wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 13:31:
Fair use doesn't apply to people making a living off of content created by other people.

Weird Al would like to have a word with you. Parody, even commercial parody, is covered under the Fair Use Doctrine.

26. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 12:11 Peter M. Smith

panbient wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:49:
So... what's stopping the streamers from just asking the developers or publishers for permission before broadcasting?

Laziness or ignorance.

News Comments > More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit
37. Re: Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 10:18 Peter M. Smith

Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:22:
If someone gutted out and replace a Porche with after-market stuff, the core would still be a Porche.

I would think a more appropriate automotive comparison would be the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute vehicles. Both vehicles are based on Ford's CD2 design, which was developed from Mazda's GF design. Could you use parts designed for the GF (CryEngine) in the CD2 (Lumberyard)? Probably. Might need to modify things a little to get them to fit.

34. Re: Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 09:23 Peter M. Smith

Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:43:
Though, if I play CIG advocate, I have to ask why it took Crytek long to bring a lawsuit. They should've initiated it the moment CIG made their announcement.

My feeling is, had CryTek sued CIG immediately after the announcement, they would have presented a poor image in front of the judge. Remember, lawsuits are supposed to be the last step in the negotiating process. Now if you would have said CryTek should have tried to re-open negotiations immediately after the announcement, then I would have to agree.

23. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 20, 2018, 23:18 Peter M. Smith

Kosumo wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 16:59:
You are a fool who has given to much money to a conman in whom you still believe in his snake oil.

I agree with what theyarecomingforyou said 100%, and I have not bought a Chris Roberts project since the 2004 version of The Punisher. What insult are you going to throw my way?

Take an hour and a half out of your day and watch an actual copyright lawyer (you know, an expert in the field of this lawsuit) tear down the response. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoiLclXI2M After listening to Leonard's assessment I have this to say: CryTek wrote themselves a bad contract.

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
27. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 15:29 Peter M. Smith

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:38:
Great post explaining everything, thanks Peter.

Thank Leonard. He did the work, I'm just sharing what I heard.

226 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo