Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 223 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Frostpunk Released
3. Re: Frostpunk Released Apr 24, 2018, 12:16 Peter M. Smith

Rhialto wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 12:14:
Nice trailer but it does not tell me much about gameplay, I'm curious so I'll dig a bit more and find out.

Quill18 and ChristopherOdd have Let's Play videos on YouTube.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced
2. Re: Stellaris: Distant Stars Announced Apr 23, 2018, 10:40 Peter M. Smith

A dev chat on the expansion talked about changing up how anomalies are researched. Rather than having the anomaly level act as a restriction on who could research an anomaly, the scientist level would impact how long it took to research the anomaly. I think that's a better approach to researching anomalies.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 23, 2018, 09:48 Peter M. Smith

The cocaine smuggling operation that was suggested to DeLorian by a career criminal/FBI informant? The same person who then turned around and then went to the FBI?

The government's case was so shoddy that DeLorian's defense did not need to call any witnesses en route to securing a not guilty verdict.

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
11. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 13:03 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 10:32:
Cause I've sure never seen anything that warrants Valve's 30 points they take.

Hosting high availability systems is not cheap. I work for a medical group, we have six hospitals using our electronic medical record (EMR) system. I'd suspect our hardware costs are in the tens of millions range right now, between our data centers, and that's just for the data centers. That's for a closed system, within a single metropolitan market. Steam is providing an open system, with distribution nodes scattered across the globe. Even if they're renting rack space in data centers (I can't see them renting compute, they're going to want their own hardware and network gear), that's still a lot of data center space and a lot of bandwidth they're paying for. Throw in the cost of servers and storage (it's cheap, but it's not that cheap for HA), and you're looking at a significant expense. And that's not accounting for annual licensing and maintenance.

30% goes to Steam? It's to cover the costs of distribution. Switching from pressed CD in game stores over to downloading directly has made some things cheaper, but it's raised costs in other areas.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 10:10 Peter M. Smith

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2018, 13:17:
Setting the clock in the 2018 Subaru Outback requires 19 steps in three different places.
noice

I'm a fan of setting the clock on my Honda Odyssey. "Enable GPS clock updates" or some nonsense like that. Set it, forget it.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
18. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 16:41 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:54:
Rhett isn't wrong...

Sorry for not being 100% clear, this should help:

I agree with what you're saying Rhett.

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:54:
This is really just a step up from that for turn-based Battletech.

Yes, I'm very familiar with BattleTech in all of its incarnations.

12. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 14:31 Peter M. Smith

Rhett wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:49:
I just recall seeing them spin on a dime to turn, didn't really look like a big robot turning. Or like running up a hill. Very small stuff I could overlook, almost certainly buying it anyway.

So clunky as in "too fluid", got it. Yeah, I saw a little of that when I was playing the beta. My head canon is time expands in a turn of BattleTech (table top is ten seconds/turn), the animated movements are an artifact of compressing time back down into something that is watchable in normal time.

3. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 11:48 Peter M. Smith

Rhett wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 11:44:
The animations looked a bit clunky in the gameplay I've seen, not sure if it's an old build issue or not, but that's probably the only gripe I've had so far.

Clunky as in "This does not look optimized." or clunky as in "These are massive avatars of destruction with top speeds measured in double-digit KPH."?

News Comments > Factorio Price Boost Next Month
12. Re: Factorio Price Boost Next Month Mar 31, 2018, 15:07 Peter M. Smith

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 14:34:
I saw the character had a gun. Are there enemies?

There is native life, and they're annoying. Playing a Death World they can be dangerous. However, if you find them too much you can simply turn them off.

If you do play with them be warned: they get more dangerous over time as there is an evolution mechanism.

News Comments > BATTLETECH on April 24th
15. Re: BATTLETECH on April 24th Mar 27, 2018, 23:23 Peter M. Smith

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 22:33:
And the fact that any 75' war machine would be the first thing destroyed on a modern battle field doesn't bother you?

Closer to 40 feet. And with the introduction of the BattleMech came a new type of armor. For a little while armor was winning the arms/armor race, so BattleMechs were able to simply shrug off the ineffective attacks.

Plus BattleTech is a game that makes extensive use of the Rule of Cool.

News Comments > BATTLETECH on April 24th
12. Re: BATTLETECH on April 24th Mar 27, 2018, 17:20 Peter M. Smith

The story teased in the trailer is...about half the campaigns I played in my early days of playing BattleTech.

And Tipsy? The overall universe of BattleTech went through a pretty substantial retcon at the hands of Catalyst. It can be summed up like this: "All those books were written from Comstar's perspective, a group with an active agenda to control knowledge. What really happened was this..."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2018, 16:20 Peter M. Smith

Nullity wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 13:08:
SSDs aren't going to be used in any large capacity in data centers for quite a long time. Data centers need capacity above all, and SSDs are still obscenely expensive compared to HDDs per GB.

*checks his data center*

Hate to break it to you, but that's not the case. A data center is not just a place to store data. A data center is also a place to compute. Compute fast enough and you might find HDDs simply can't feed enough data. So you pony up for SSDs and deal with the costs.

13. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Mar 15, 2018, 09:00 Peter M. Smith

Darks wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 08:14:
So, if you backed it then you should have been playing the beta.

If not then why? The beta has been available to anyone who backed the game.

Beta got pulled after the public beta period ended.

News Comments > Two Endless Space 2 Content Packs
2. Re: Two Endless Space 2 Content Packs Mar 13, 2018, 09:42 Peter M. Smith

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 09:33:
Way to gouge your customers for a few quests and some music. So glad I passed on 2, as space strategy games go it is not in the top 3.

Three bucks per. SEGA's really gouging hard here.

/s

News Comments > Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger Awakens
1. Re: Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger Awakens Mar 9, 2018, 09:05 Peter M. Smith

Started a new game of this, within twenty minutes Hitler was dead. Now I need to figure out if I'm going to go democracy or bring back the Kaiser. I'm leaning democratic, work out an arrangement with the UK, slap France only if they go Communist, then start eyeballing Stalin.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
19. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 28, 2018, 15:01 Peter M. Smith

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 14:43:
Does Wasteland 2 not fit the traditional Fallout mold?

Wasteland 2 is a squad game, Fallout isn't. Might be enough for some people to say "No."

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
15. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 28, 2018, 12:26 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 09:23:
...since this is a Battletech title...

*ahem*

BattleTech.

That is all.

News Comments > Stellaris: Apocalypse Now!
5. Re: Stellaris: Apocalypse Now! Feb 22, 2018, 16:13 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 16:06:
I'm assuming that means on a train or subway. Do you do that frequently? Does anyone ever recognize what you're playing or ask?

Train, and I seek out the designated quiet cars. Talking is heavily discouraged, which allows me to unwind at the end of the day.

News Comments > Stellaris: Apocalypse Now!
2. Re: Stellaris: Apocalypse Now! Feb 22, 2018, 14:14 Peter M. Smith

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 14:06:
Sweet. Gonna start playing this in the next few weeks (after I'm done with Witcher 3!), and this expansion looks very fun.

I *may* have brought my laptop to work today...and I may have picked up the DLC...and I might end up playing a little on the commute home.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2018, 11:35 Peter M. Smith

A 19 year old is not a child. He's an adult.  

223 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo