Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 165 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed
7. Re: XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed Dec 10, 2015, 12:41 Peter M. Smith

Simon Says wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 12:38:
THREE DLC PACKS ON RELEASE? You gotta be fucking kidding me... Well, here goes one game which I was awaiting with great anticipation to buy that I'll be pirating on release with all DLCs included. Fuck'em.

Might want to go back and re-read the DLC info. Unless, for some reason, you think that 5 February 2016 is considered Spring 2016 (Anarchy's Children) while also being two different points of Summer 2016 (Alien Hunters, Shen's Last Gift).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4
18. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4 Dec 8, 2015, 10:24 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 10:06:
To me, it didn't look like that, but I'll have to watch it again. It looked more like the shift since FF12 and very similar to FF15. You control one at a time, real-time with the only timer being when you can attack or cast magic again, while still running around to avoid the enemy. And then you can set your team to AI tasks, but you can switch to them at any time (like switching to Barret to do something specific).

Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately we're looking at a heavily edited video. What I'd like to see (and I'm guessing you would too) is a straight-up gameplay video. Let me see an entire combat, from start to finish. Let me see if the translation to a fully realized 3D environment looks fun.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4
14. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4 Dec 8, 2015, 08:58 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 21:35:
It Looks great, but I'm not too excited with the combat only allowing you to control one character at a time. Seems they went the FF15 route. I wonder if they'll have different modes, but kinda doubt it.

I'm not sure that's the case here. The two minute video I saw for the game (linked through Engadget, not here) was some longer segments of the start of the game, along with a number of fast cut scenes of gameplay. What little they showed of combat was characters selecting their actions. At the 1:18 mark is where the combat starts, you can see both Cloud and Barret taking their turns.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
48. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 15:12 Peter M. Smith

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:36:
It's a backup system which creates a versioned timeline of all of your files. It's like version control but for your user files as a whole rather than just git or svn repositories. It's very easy to use too: just put a cheap NAS on your home network and point File History to the NAS drive. If you tend to work on particular files over an extended period of time, it allows you to refer back to earlier revisions, see how things changed over time, etc. It doesn't support branches sadly, but the bottom line is that it takes backups from being a necessary evil to guard against drive failure, to also being a version control system for your work integrated directly into the file system.

Our primary user storage hardware works along these lines. I tell you, it's an awesome alternative to standard enterprise backup systems. Telling users they can pull up missing/old files from their PCs rather than sending the tickets to our backup team? Yes please!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
47. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 14:21 Peter M. Smith

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:23:
That is not uncommon. So why update from a system I can have run for a year without rebooting. To one I now have issues with, even if it is just a couple. Zero > A Couple?

How are you running your system for a year without rebooting? Are you actively ignoring updates?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Command Warning
6. Re: Fallout 4 Console Command Warning Nov 24, 2015, 11:19 Peter M. Smith

InBlack wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 09:46:
Has anyone figured out how to get the game to work in Fullscreen mode and not Borderless window yet? I can run the game fine in bordeless window, but I feel that (Nvidia GTX970 user here) the game doesn't do Vsync correctly, and I noticed some weird graphical anomalies and some performance issues too.

I have a GTX970 as well, tied to an Asus G-Sync monitor. I let the GeForce Experience set the settings, everything has been fine on the display front for me.

News Comments > Firefall Developer Layoffs
1. Re: Firefall Developer Layoffs Nov 24, 2015, 11:06 Peter M. Smith

Did they throw darts at the New Office Cliché boards, or did they break out the tumbler to put that sentence together?  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
27. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Nov 20, 2015, 09:22 Peter M. Smith

Frijoles wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 23:43:
And yeah, Dogmeat pissed me off with getting in the way, so I ditched him and went with the no companion perk. No regrets.

The funny part about this statement is Dogmeat is not considered a companion, with respect to the No Companion perk. He can come with you and you still get the effects of the perk.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
47. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 13:32 Peter M. Smith

Tumbler wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:56:
I'm really confused why this game is so popular.

I'm having fun. I'm guessing lots of other people are having fun playing the game. Makes it popular.

Tumbler wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:56:
I'll wait for it to be on sale. Seems like I'll be better off with mods in a few weeks or months anyway.

It's your money. If that's what you want to do, go nuts! I just hope, in the end, you have fun playing it.

News Comments > Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS
7. Re: Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS Nov 13, 2015, 11:10 Peter M. Smith

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:02:
Does Steam OS also hang like Windows 10 for up to a minute at times for no apparent reason while opening just about anything/everything?

I don't have a Steam Machine so all I can comment on is 10. I regret trying out the free upgrade. It is better than Windows 8 but is not really ready for prime time. My up to date Nvidia drives are constantly crashing in aps and while using the edge browser. YouTube videos are also going black screen with only audio. I think this weekend is rollback time.

Never seen any of these issues on my W10 box. That said I did a fresh install of the OS rather than upgrading. Mainly because upgrading an OS is, IMO, a horrible idea. Clean installs don't hold onto outdated settings and configurations. Given the expansive variety of hardware in the Windows world, you can't test everything. So...go clean on the install or don't go at all.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
83. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 11, 2015, 09:48 Peter M. Smith

shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 06:59:
Enjoy your hoarding simulator.

Why does it bother you that people are having fun with this game?

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
20. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 12:26 Peter M. Smith

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:20:
I just discovered that the game is limited to 60fps by default, which screws over those with high refresh monitors. It's like they went out of their way to make the PC version shit. Apparently the XB1 version drops to ZERO frames per second at times and it looks like ass to boot.

What a joke.

I looked through the entire tweaking guide, and nowhere did I find a place to unlock the framerate. What I did see were plenty of benchmarks in excess of 60FPS. I think your source for the locking of the framerate is suspect.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
71. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 13:54 Peter M. Smith

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 09:01:
Well, seeing as how you'd need (if the "you start with 21" is true) 63-21 = 42 perk points just to max out your stats, and then another 70 perk points to just get every perk, and then probably another 140 to actually max them out (if I assume that every perk can, on average, be upgraded twice more), if you really feel like gaining 252 levels to do so, then I think you've probably earned it.

Out of the 10 million or so people that will buy this, I'm going to guess maybe 3 will ever actually do what you've just complained about.

I took a look at the Fallout 4 Build Planner at RPG Gaming. There are 70 Perk "categories", with 229 total Perks (3.27 Perks per category). You start out with 28 SPECIAL points, of which 21 are player selectable. So in the end it's 229+78-28, which is 279 levels. Pretty close to your initial estimate, ended up being a bit higher.

56. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:38 Peter M. Smith

Red wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:03:
The main thing I don't like about the new perk system is that you can spend perk points to raise SPECIAL in lieu of actually picking a perk.

Functionally it's the same as Intense Training from the two FO3 games.

Red wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:03:
And being able to gimp yourself is bad design.

I snipped most of what you said, because ultimately it boils down to your last sentence. And it's one I disagree with vehemently. A player should be able to play in whichever way they would like to. If somebody wants to take a "gimped" character why stop them?

44. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 17:15 Peter M. Smith

gilly775 wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 17:07:
*snip good rant*

I stopped listening to naysayers. Had to, otherwise I'd find myself getting angry for no good reason. Really the only person whose opinion matters is yours.

41. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 16:36 Peter M. Smith

Retired wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 15:55:
Posted in the other thread about the skills (or lack there of) and SPECIAL thread - not sure I am keen on how they no longer use true skills....I feel like I am forced to get a "skill" I don't want, to get a later one in the same silo of SPECIAL. Seems like a waste.

Removal of LEVEL CAP seems like a bad move as well....

Functionally, they're the same thing. To perform a task, you must fulfill a requirement. In FO3, for example, I needed to have my Lockpick skill above 50 to get through an Average lock. In FO4 it appears that I need to have a Perception of 4/Locksmith of 1 to get through an Advanced lock. In FO3 I'd have to put a few levels worth of skill points into the character to hit that 50 threshold. In FO4 if my Perception is at 4 I can spend the level advancement perk point on Locksmith after the first level advancement. I don't have to walk through the underlying Perks (Pickpocket, Rifleman, Awareness) to get access to Locksmith, I can go directly to Locksmith.

As for the removal of the level cap, I'm glad. I'd like the ability to build the Master Of All character, if I feel like putting the time in.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
7. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 11:01 Peter M. Smith

I can't get worked up over a max of four dialogue choices. One of the most useful (and telling) Perks from FO2 was the one that showed which of the dialogue choices actually meant anything. I'd see five or six choices in the scroll box, with one blue and one red. The rest were filler. If Bethesda is going with a hard limit of four choices (plus the walk away option) but each choice has meaning, I consider that an improvement over the past.  

News Comments > Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf
19. Re: Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Oct 29, 2015, 18:43 Peter M. Smith

Fion, when Topps acquired WizKids Games that same concerned was raised with Catalyst Game Labs. Turned out to be much ado about nothing. While I'm not a fan of WW's products (they hit the tropes I don't care for) I do wish Onyx Path and Paradox great success in their endeavors, and that the transition is painless for OP.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Specs
18. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 9, 2015, 13:12 Peter M. Smith

NetHead wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
I hate when they give multiple dialogue options which goto the same outcome, I hate this in any game but in a RPG it's especially cheap and annoying. I hope they don't do that because combined with what you mentioned about the player only seeing a snip of what their character is going to say, well as a player I would feel far removed from the character in dialogue with that all happening.

Go have a conversation in Fallout 2 after you get the Empathy perk. You'll suddenly see how only two of the many options have any real meaning. The rest are wasteful banter. If I go from that down to three or four choices that always have a meaning then I won't mind the reduction. That said...

NetHead wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
Also with it voiced I'm going to guess they don't have a large selection of voices for the player character (there's going to be a lot of it and it will have to be good, adding up to a notable cost then multiply by 2 due to genders), what if you don't like the voice, the accent. How often are you going to have to listen to the exact same multipurpose line when talking to random NPCs, it's bad enough when random NPCs all sound the same and have the same dialogue but now from the PC also. What about replaying it, having a new character with the exact same voice/tone/etc as the previous, that's not thrilling.

110,000 lines of dialogue were recorded for this game. I don't think variety is going to be lacking.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Oct 9, 2015, 09:42 Peter M. Smith

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 20:16:
"She has gone on the record as saying that she has no clue what the VP of marketing does; but yet claims to have two marketing degrees. By all accounts, and based on our extensive research, those claims are false."
Hahahahhaah no Derek, YOU don't get to assert if someone has colege degrees. I don't give a shit about the rest of the blog. He may be right or not, time will tell, but this has got the fucking hypocrisy cake. All the cakes in fact.
Wait - Did Dr. Derek Smart actually accuse somebody of inflating their academic credentials?

165 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo