Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter M. Smith

Real Name Peter M. Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 10, 2015, 20:13
Total Comments 165 (Novice)
User ID 58211

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 16, 2016, 10:50 Peter M. Smith

As long as websites farm out their ads to third-party companies who don't vet the content of the ads, then people like me will block ads and deny those sites their ad revenue. I've cleaned up too many systems that were infected by a drive-by bug embedded in an ad.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue - Dark Tower Mar 1, 2016, 17:05 Peter M. Smith

"Tell him about the Twinkie."
"What about the Twinkie?"

News Comments > Master of Orion Video Diary
8. Re: Master of Orion Video Diary Mar 1, 2016, 13:56 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 13:48:
I own it. I really like it though there is room for improvement and not an insignificant amount. I was talking about it with some friends over poker last Saturday night and all of us are old MOO players, back to the original (Hell, three of us know or knew Steve Barcia and Ken Burd). We all agree that while it is an enjoyable game, it is not yet fantastic. The races are unbalanced, the tech tree has taken an either/or path in some instances (instead of inclusive as it used to be), and the AI is pretty boneheaded at the moment.

In other words, it's an Early Access game.

InBlack wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 12:10:
SO anyone try it? Is it any good? Is the content there or should people wait a bit before buying in?

I'm partial to checking out the Let's Play videos from Quill18, he looked like he was having fun playing the Psilons.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 29, 2016, 13:27 Peter M. Smith

Flatline wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 19:51:
And yet, suddenly, 100% of the shit Cutter spews makes perfect sense now.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had that reaction.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2016, 14:24 Peter M. Smith

PHJF wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 14:20:
simply put, I don't have a lot of faith in a fully-electric car to spring to life in the middle of a Wisconsin winter.

Which is somehow different than, you know, every car starting via a battery?

Considerably. Once that battery finishes kicking the engine over all it's doing is acting as a voltage regulator for the electrical system. Who cares if the available amperage drops? But for a vehicle that is 100% dependent on that battery system? Yeah, I'm not looking to them in cold weather environs.

News Comments > Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY
15. Re: Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY Feb 19, 2016, 12:31 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 12:22:
Why do they even bother with these bullshit awards ceremonies? Everyone know W3 was the game of the year.

These aren't popularity contests, they're members of the game development industry assessing the works of their peers. You'll see Witcher 3 did win a few awards this year, just not the top spot.

News Comments > Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump
46. Re: Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump Feb 17, 2016, 11:46 Peter M. Smith

descender wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 10:59:
It kind of does, but I'm not really talking about quality when I say that... You sign up on kickstarter for the promise of a product, and in the end you get your product/backer bonuses or they return your money/fight you in court.

Makes sense.

With these Season Pass DLC's the quantity is in question as much as the quality. They could decide to release 1 DLC pack and call it a day and you have zero recourse. You are buying the promise of "multiple products" without them being required to actually deliver that.

I do have recourse, through my local courts. If Bethesda (since we're talking about the Fallout 4 DLC Season Pass) were to go this route, they would be facing claims of false advertising.

For the amount of risk I'd expect a better recouperation than break even, that's all. I've never purchased a season pass and probably never will, so all I can go by is word of mouth here as to how their value has been. When I get those same DLC's for 80%+ off at some later date I'm not really able to judge that up front cost.

If I get 25% savings I consider that good enough. With this first set of three DLC being about $40 together, the $30 for the Season Pack hits my mark. I actually will end up at a higher percentage, I bought through GreenManGaming. And while I could take the route you suggest, wait for the deep discounts to hit sometime down the road, I simply do not wish to wait that long. In this case I'm willing to trade time for money.

42. Re: Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump Feb 17, 2016, 10:49 Peter M. Smith

descender wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 09:59:
I suppose as long as they release enough DLC packs to get your dollars back from the pass it can be "worth it", and Borderlands/Bioshock certainly seem to be the best examples of doing it right.

That's the approach I take. I know there are certain games that I'm going to pick up DLC the day they drop. Fallout, Galactic Civilization, XCOM, and the Civilization series. I've had way too much fun playing these franchises that even the weakest DLC are worth it to me. If I pay less up front for the Season Pass than the individual DLC cost me on release day then it was a good investment. There is also an inherent value with paying once and being done with it, as I only have to include one entry when I sit down with the wife and go over the monthly expenditures.

descender wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 09:59:
A Season Pass is very much like a kickstarter for DLC, but without the protections of a guaranteed value of release. It's always very up in the air exactly how much DLC you are really paying for or even expecting them to release. Are you paying that $20 for $20 in DLC, or should you get more than that $20 in DLC in return for helping fund the development of it? What if they decide to charge $10 for what would normally be $5 DLC packs and tell you that your pass value was met and they release a "second season" or some such other nonsense like DLC that isn't part of the pass?

I don't agree with your Kickstarter comparison, mostly because Kickstarter does not have any value protections. A poorly developed project that is released will not guarantee you any recourse with Kickstarter. As for the rest of your statement, you have to put a little research into prior work, as well as with what is being offered. When the Galactic Civilizations III Founder campaign was launched, what caught my eye was that anything and everything Stardock is releasing for the game is included, period. With Fallout 4's Season Pass it specifies that all DLC is included, so I rolled the dice on that one as well. But a game that has limited scope Season Pass? No thanks. Borderlands 2 is listed as a "good" pass, but the Season Pass did not include any of the Headhunter packs.

34. Re: Fallout 4 DLC Plans; Season Pass Price Jump Feb 17, 2016, 09:42 Peter M. Smith

descender wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 18:12:
If you support/purchase any Season Pass DLC you are far too stupid for words.

Has there ever even been one that ended up being a "good deal" with enough content to justify that type of advanced pricing?

Galactic Civilization III is about to hit the break even point for the Founders when their Mercs expansion drops tomorrow. Anything released afterwards is pure bonus.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Invades
5. Re: XCOM 2 Invades Feb 5, 2016, 11:40 Peter M. Smith

I threw it on my Surface Pro 3, so I could create characters on my daily train commute. The game didn't seem to have a touch interface, I was forced to use the stylus. Owing to the motion of the train I think I'm not going to be able to continue that experiment.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Departure
4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Departure Dec 29, 2015, 17:31 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 15:53:
No one wants to be Edmonton. That's like serving a sentence.

I have an acquaintance who works up there for BioWare. He says it's not bad, as long as you're either not social or love to watch hockey of the low end of professional quality, and you work in his industry.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 29, 2015, 12:20 Peter M. Smith

Ford can try to apply for a patent, but wouldn't prior art (literally) apply here?  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Progress Report
24. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 17:33 Peter M. Smith

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 17:24:
Peter.. how much will you give me for nin? I'll donate all proceeds to the game
He also comes with a van.

Sadly, I can only give you disappointment. Mostly because Catalyst Game Labs is working with Harebraned Schemes, one party is not over the other party. So they ask us (really, they ask Randall Bills) for input, we give it, they use it, then they go on their way. Just like everybody else here, I had to pony up for the game.

20. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 17:08 Peter M. Smith

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 16:21:
I think I dropped something like $245 on this KS, so I'm kinda tapped out out at moment, but I'll keep it in mind.

I looked long and hard at that jacket. Then I remembered my first kid is on her way. So to you I say: "Enjoy it." Also, which faction did you end up picking?

19. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 17:06 Peter M. Smith

Bleeder wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 16:14:
Thanks, I stand corrected. I think I know what I was thinking of now.. FASA released a box set of schematics years ago.

There were four releases, though two of them were simply rolled and folded versions of the same 'Mechs. Unfortunately they all predated my interest in the game, and I never felt like paying the secondary market prices to get them.

15. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 16:09 Peter M. Smith

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 11:33:
I got them, too! Also grabbed the pdfs. I'm a sucker for lore.

Another happy customer! If you like what you read, please feel free to do more shopping of BattleTech (and other Catalyst Game Labs products). I am the Peter Smith in the FanPro/Catalyst credits and special thanks page, any support we get from fans is always appreciated.

14. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 16:03 Peter M. Smith

Bleeder wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 15:46:
Those blueprints look awfully familiar. I think they came with one of the old Battletech or Mechwarrior games, in case someone wanted a cheaper way of obtaining them.

These are new artwork. The design of the BattleMaster and the Warhammer are based on artwork that was created this year.

4. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 11:24 Peter M. Smith

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 11:18:
They're selling blueprints. 24x36"

Not going to lie, I have $20 earmarked for the set. Price is better than what I had expected them to be, when I found out they were going to be part of the campaign.

News Comments > Into the Black
23. Re: Into the Black Dec 15, 2015, 09:31 Peter M. Smith

NKD wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 03:59:
<snipped a whole lot of awesomeness>

I am thrilled to see that somebody else out there gets it.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online on Steam
13. Re: MechWarrior Online on Steam Dec 11, 2015, 11:27 Peter M. Smith

Midnight wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 07:46:
Battletech

*ahem*

BattleTech. The title uses power caps.

^_^

165 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer