Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bubb Stubbley

Real Name Bubb Stubbley   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bub
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Free cookies for sponsors!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2015, 12:41
Total Comments 449 (Amateur)
User ID 58208

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
149. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 10:42 Bub

This is just comedy gold. Too bad we don't have any gaming stand ups.
Or if only Stephen Colbert or Jimmy Fallon were gamers and could appreciate this ginormous train wreck.

On one hand you have the person of Chris Roberts who has mastered the art of selling dreams via an internet crowdfunding site. He is also pretty good at spewing fantastic sounding ideas for space games and spends the cash to produce some of the best video teasers out there.
The last several years has been spent selling virtual ships for an in development game that keeps getting paired back and modularized from the grand all in one persistent universe that was used to hook the initial investors. It has been a steady stream of steps back in functionality and compartmentalization of game "modes." He is very artful in how he communicates the dream while at the same time scaling it down. Given the staggering amount of money raised, it is puzzling why the trend of reductions to the scale and functionality of the game increases while the delivery date for "going gold" is more and more vague and further down the road.

On the other hand we have outspoken critiques and enfant terrible Derek Smart who has some experience producing ever more complex space games. It is easy to dismiss him based on the obtuse and somewhat impenetrable nature of his games user interface, and the fact that these games were often released long before many bugs were found and fixed. To play his recent Universal Combat is to begin to appreciate just how many ways a vast, persistent space game can go wrong. The game works after a fashion, but bugs from simple model clipping to jerky performance at times, will be experienced, along with the intended game play.

That does not change how accurate I believe his take is on the whole Star Citizen scene is. I don't think it is out of line to ask for some accountability when the staggering large amount of cash is involved. If he is serious about taking legal action, I would rather hear about the status of that, rather than the drama of using it as a threat.

What ever happens, what with all the critics and white knight fan boys, this is the most entertaining running story ever on BluesNews.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hearthstone The Grand Tournament Expansion Released
15. Re: Hearthstone The Grand Tournament Expansion Released Aug 25, 2015, 08:57 Bub

Once again Blizzard injects less player interaction and increases passive make one choice, push a button, watch a proceduraly generated series of static or animated cut scenes, while at the same time introducing more pay to win cash shop items.

More nefarious is the introduction of selling mystery "packs" where the content is basically a gamble. Asian MMO' have been milking this illegal gambling for years and the adult authorities have yet to catch on. Now that Blizzard has adopted it, expect to see it in WOW and everything else they make.

Just wait until the Home Shopping Network and infomercial types get wind of this scam.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
76. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 22, 2015, 10:20 Bub

Crowdfunding is turning out to be the Eureka moment for shysters and film-flam men of all stripes.

With crowdfunding and the just as nefariously open to shearing the clueless "Early Access" all you need is a little bit of media savvy, a few good CGI people to produce a nice teaser every so often, and a buggy partly developed game to rake in some serious cash.

Currently in one early access game I play there a number of bugs to some really basic core items in game. The producer has said that either they have no clue on how to fix them, or that it would require a complete re-write or changing engines, neither of which they will do. Instead the developer starts work on some wonky feature creep feature that maybe 2 people asked for, but most could care less about. The developer pins it as the games future, and focuses on developing that while ignoring from there on out the core game bugs.

Star Citizen was pitched as an all in one Universe where you could go from fighter pilot to walking around a station, to an FPS, together with a persistent seamless RPG/MMO world. That quickly went by the wayside and now they are pitching separate "modules" for each type of environment and play. They went from seamless to separate stand alone packages pretty fast, so in that sense they will never deliver the original game people donated money for.

What is really entertaining and worth all the popcorn I have stocked up, is the ongoing drama as these hucksters continue these money making operations, while fan boys froth at the mouth to defend them.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > The Flock Takes Flight
4. Re: The Flock Takes Flight Aug 22, 2015, 08:55 Bub

Great. I often buy games but don't play them while I complete a different game. Sometimes I have two or three new games in the que.
Now it I don't play this after I buy it for a few months, when I do try to fire it up it will say, no dice, game over.

I was considering this game before, but now, not so much.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro Aug 21, 2015, 08:44 Bub

The person who does GW2's class video teasers is a real pro.

They make every class look like a steamroller.

Sadley, all those flashy moves turn out to be less effective than the default auto attack.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch on PTR
5. Re: World of Warcraft Patch on PTR Aug 21, 2015, 08:29 Bub

I loved those few warcraft quests that involved realistic stories and involved significant outcomes based on successfull completion. Like the one in the red mountains where after doing a bunch of stuff for a giant, it would come and help move a boulder that a group of npc's could not budge.

That said, this flight/expansion deal is a real fiasco. I can see the marketing dept meeting on this. "Hey, lets take out a long established quality of life feature in the game, with one expansion, and then act like it's all new and shiny by bringing it back in a following expansion, only this time the customer has to jump through X hoops (spend x amount of online game time) to get it. We could milk this for years and not have to create a boatload of new content while we are at it."

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
24. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Planetary Annihilation: TITANS Aug 20, 2015, 08:11 Bub

Still not a happy camper. I bought PA in this summers big Steam Sale for under $20 US. Now they want me to pay more for something that 2 months ago would have been a version patch. I might be ok with this if they had stated that in the future new features and units was going to be pay as you go, if they did, I never would have purchased it, as I simply don't sign up for those kinds of pay to win games.

As far as I am concerned this franchise is dead in the water to me.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > StarCraft II Automated Tournaments Beta
1. Re: StarCraft II Automated Tournaments Beta Aug 20, 2015, 08:02 Bub

Let the gaming the game begin!  

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Win 10 Aug 19, 2015, 09:05 Bub

As more Win 10 game performance comparisons come out, it is clear this new OS offers no significant practical benefit to the user.

This OS is mainly for the benefit of Microsoft. It gives them complete control over your PC. They can monitor it, delete files they don't like, prevent any program they want from running, the whole nine yards. Things like DRM that consumers showed no interest in, can now be sliptreamed into place without the consumers knowledge, at least until they try to play a game or music file that MS has chosen to fry.

Win 10 is big brother dressed up in a colorful but rather square package.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Evening Interviews
22. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 08:51 Bub

This guy is classic sociopath. Nothing is ever his fault. It's always someone else who is to blame. Everything will just be fine as long as you give him mo money.

For the record the original Wing Commander was not all that great. It just got lucky and was adopted by the computer gaming press as it's go to love child space game, when Freespace 1 and 2 were a zillion times better in all ways.

Every single review of any of the current "modules" of this new venture have been reserved, the graphics look too good to be true or just plain awful and the whole package comes with a growing list of gotchas.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Trove Attracts 1M Users
10. Re: Trove Attracts 1M Users Aug 19, 2015, 08:24 Bub

Glad to see this "train them young" on how to gamble and/or spend lots of cash for pixels is getting a foothold.

Free to Play is just like Heroin. The first taste is free, but if you want to go along for the long term ride, you will pay dearly.

Cash shop dressups, cash shop mounts, even mystery paks, Same old nickel and dime pay to win, just riding the low poly, it runs fine on our Dorfmart back to school sale computer wave.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Bezos n Company Aug 18, 2015, 08:41 Bub

Sounds like Federal Express, all new hires have to spend some time on "the line" the brutal fast paced receiving conveyor lifting and sorting small and large heavy packages. This practice quickly weeds out the "weak" but potentially some of the strongest minds.

Darwinism at work.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Mad Max Branching Trailer
10. Re: Mad Max Branching Trailer Aug 18, 2015, 08:29 Bub

I would like to know the specs on the rig that these supposed in game video caps came from.

Soo many polygons, most likely this will not run at more than 1 FPS on my 5 year old system without jacking the details settings to the absolute minimum/minecraft level quality.

A bit unrealistic as well, collsions which make other cars blow up, but do little damage to Max's ride, sure. Blowing up just about anything with a sawed off shotgun at medium to long range, sure.

Given their track record, I might buy this, in a year or so when it goes out on bargain basement sales.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Win 10 Aug 17, 2015, 08:22 Bub

I will never install Win10. You might as well hand the keys to your digital house over to a corporation. Linux looks more attractive because of this.  

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details
16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Supremacy Mode Details Aug 14, 2015, 09:21 Bub

When I heard that every single vehicle in the game has the same performance envelope, I knew it was time to pass this by.

The whole point of the Tie Fighter/X-Wing face off was the Ties were more numerous, fast, and agile, but fragile, while the X-Wing was less numerous, slower, armored and armed to the teeth. You were lucky to hit a Tie at all, and they could be taken out with one shot. Here it flys exactly like an X-Wing and takes just as many hits to destroy.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Details
4. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Details Aug 14, 2015, 08:36 Bub

Yawn, oh, another do-it-all, solo-everything, cement the gravestone for the trinity type faceroll class. All the young hip devs are churning them out these days just to blend.

Let's see what is on the next channel - click

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 13, 2015, 08:54 Bub

From my perspective Dues Ex is simply an extension of what System Shock started. Other than better presentation thanks to advancing game technology, I can't think of a single thing that DE did that had not been introduced in System Shock (the original.)

It's still a great game series, but if you want to talk about originality and doing things that had never been done before, System Shock should be the topic. To me the DE series is just a variation on the System Shock theme.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
23. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 13, 2015, 08:33 Bub

29 Gigabytes for a dogfight sim that is only partially done?

Sounds like real quality programming. And it times out!

This show continues to amuse those of us not suckered into this mess.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions LOL Whiners Aug 12, 2015, 09:09 Bub

Waa, Waa, Waa, QQ go the pampered west coast kiddies. Not fair for them? How about all the players in mid-america, and the east coast?
No matter where you put a server, some people win, some people lose.

So the west coast pros have been beating east coasters thanks to a pretty big lag difference. Maybe giving challengers a better chance on the east coast will result in a new crop of elite pros.

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2015, 10:19 Bub

Once you hand over the keys to your computer with Windows 10, the big M will see to it that add blockers never work again.  

Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..

449 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo