Limit Results:

40 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Into the Black
Apr 6, 2021, 08:53
Re: Into the Black Apr 6, 2021, 08:53
Apr 6, 2021, 08:53

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 6, 2021, 04:26:
The only thing worse than Discovery, are rabid Discovery apologists. Now I'm not saying that any of you guys fall into that category, but people who blindly defend this show are akin to religious fanatics who are able to believe two contradictory things at the same time.

People can like what they like. No need to shame them for it.

That said, I gave up in season 2, then after S3 started, watched through S2 to get to S3 and then gave up on that.

Discovery should really be named: Michael Burnham: A Star Trek Retcon story
"In an increasingly fractured Federation, discover the heroic tales of Michael Burnham on USS Discovery. Super-intelligent adoptive human sister of Spock, watch as she repeatedly disobeys orders and the chain of command, single handedly saves the crew over and over, can solve numerous problems requiring diverse specialties, and become the central figure shaping the entire future of the galaxy."
Also: watch as Tilly gets promoted to 1st officer despite being a young junior crew member, under-qualified and, based on her previous actions and emotional make-up, entirely unsuited to the role.

Re: Court: Steam Must Provide Apple with Some Per-App Data
Feb 26, 2021, 20:45
Re: Court: Steam Must Provide Apple with Some Per-App Data Feb 26, 2021, 20:45
Feb 26, 2021, 20:45

I saw this and thought to myself "How can a private company be compelled to give confidential sales and distribution information in a court case they are not involved in?" - a case involving a market they don't compete in. Data that likely includes confidential contracts with dozens of both major studios and smaller independent developers.

It just seems really bizarre.

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Feb 18, 2021, 01:33
Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Feb 18, 2021, 01:33
Feb 18, 2021, 01:33

McMil wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 01:24:
Still, the game is very much not complete, it's still the most impressive one out there though. We'll see amazing changes over the next year as systemic systems are put in place.

Why do I feel I could go back throughout the previous five years and find extremely similar quotes from fans in 2020,2019,2018,2017,2016 ..... starting with some form of "it's pre-alpha/alpha/unfinished" followed by a comment on its "amazing/impressive technology" with a conclusion that "over the next year/with patch x.x you'll see huge improvements as it all comes together"

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Feb 17, 2021, 11:55
Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Feb 17, 2021, 11:55
Feb 17, 2021, 11:55

Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 18:47:
That is cute how they're calling it a "pledge" store.

Yep, giving discounts on a "pledge" just doesn't make sense. It us almost as bad as giving discounts on "donations."

Who are these people who keep giving millions each month to this game ?!?!?! Are they just mid-upper+ middle income people who are participating in a grand sunk cost fallacy?

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Jan 21, 2021, 22:41
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 21, 2021, 22:41
Jan 21, 2021, 22:41

Grast wrote on Jan 21, 2021, 21:45:
Exactly a ruling I would expect from a cunt judge appointed by Jimmy the loser Carter. I have read the damn lawsuit and Amazon provided ZERO evidence of any comment on Parler that was greater in severity than any idiot can find on Twitter. This is a clear case of breach of contract. This is the exact reason to never use any native API or underlying engine from any other cloud providers. It just blows my mind that mental retardation from the judicial system.

Twitter moderates and removes content all the time for breaching rules, which apparently Parler had no system for, or didn't care for (if it sided with a certain ideology).

As to breach of contract, I think you have it the wrong way 'round: "In defending against the suit, Amazon considered the matter a simple case of breach of contract. The company flagged dozens of posts advocating violence, which is against its policies, and Parler failed to remove the posts,"

Re: Path of Exile: Echoes of the Atlas Released
Jan 16, 2021, 10:39
Re: Path of Exile: Echoes of the Atlas Released Jan 16, 2021, 10:39
Jan 16, 2021, 10:39

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2021, 20:09:
*yawn* new end-game content. I've had characters all the way up to level 91 and never been close to the end game content they are talking about.

I'm kinda the same - played multiple expansions, think max level I got was around 97. Of the core/base game atlas boss: I've only managed a T14 or so elder, not the T16 uber elder. Way too much effort involved.

It has a fantastic core gameplay loop, but like any game it can get tiring - 10 chapters repeatedly, then running through maps over and over again to experience the new content, and then trying to gear up. There is only so much they can really do.

Now really waiting for PoE2 I think.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 7, 2021, 20:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2021, 20:46
Jan 7, 2021, 20:46

To any who would defend Trump:

As rioters were storming the capitol building, smashing windows, vandalising and occupying... were Trump's immediate thoughts either
  • a) For the safety of the congress, the people, police and other staff
  • b) The fact that his supporters were acting seditiously trying to disrupt & overturn congress performing its constitutional duties?

No.

These were his first thoughts:
These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long,

He was telling congress and the American people "You deserve this" ... because of his continuing delusion that he won the 2020 election in a landslide.

The short speech he gave today, Trump LIED about immediately sending in the national guard, accepted NO blame for what transpired, and then he gave a completely inauthentic message of "healing and reconciliation"

Re: etc., etc.
Dec 31, 2020, 18:59
Re: etc., etc. Dec 31, 2020, 18:59
Dec 31, 2020, 18:59

Grast wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 18:13:
Maybe you could say people are suckers for a lost cause but that is about it. .

That was my point. People so invested that they'll continue giving.

Is it a scam? I don't think so - they actually have a product with limited usability. But I don't know how to define it.

How do you define a project which promised <game features> for $XXX money, received multiple times $XXX in funding, yet it appears has no chance of actually finishing the <game features> project without continuing to sell and promise more features? More than that, it appears to base its entire business/funding model on people willing to buy into continually released new features for the un-released product.

What would happen if the SC devs said "Right. 2021 will be a year of focus, and we will not design or release any more concept ships or other features for sale" ???

Re: etc., etc.
Dec 31, 2020, 10:25
Re: etc., etc. Dec 31, 2020, 10:25
Dec 31, 2020, 10:25

Don't forget one month ago they announced the formation of another studio in Montreal under Turbulent to develop tools, assets and systems for Star Citizen ... expecting to be fully staffed at 100 developers in, wait for it, 3 years time. Unless this dev team's primary focus is post launch/post 1.0 content, this in itself suggests multi-years before any beta.

Apparently, they don't have the finances to finish the game unless they keep releasing concept ships and getting $60mil+ per year in funding.

SC backers should, en-masse, stop buying NEW stuff and say "don't keep developing new ships, just finish the game, and then focus on post-launch additions" ... be interesting to see what would happen if their backer funding suddenly slowed to $1 million per month instead of $5 million

There is so much of a sunk-cost here though for backers ... like Trump supporters giving hundreds of millions to Trump AFTER he lost the election, in some far fetched hope to overturn the vote. The desperation for it not to fail, not to be over, will see them keep giving money ... on the back of hyperbolic comments about how GREAT it will be, and anyone who naysays or criticizes is immediately set on by a chorus of believers. Defeat is not an option. They must give another $1000 to ensure their $2000 investment won't fail. And then another $1000.

Re: Get Defense Grid: The Awakening for Free
Dec 21, 2020, 00:37
Re: Get Defense Grid: The Awakening for Free Dec 21, 2020, 00:37
Dec 21, 2020, 00:37

Seems weird with the original DG being an old game (2008) and subsequently on sale, bundled, bargained so much over the last decade and a bit, surprising that there would be many people who really want it left who haven't got it. A lot of the Epic freebies are like that though.

Slashman wrote on Dec 20, 2020, 17:21:
Yeah. Defense Grid and Sol Survivor are the original OG TD games for me.

+1 also for Sol Survivor. Also played quite a bit of GemCraft chasing shadows, which had heaps of depth but let down by being in flash.

Big appeal for me with DG at the time was the competitive high score charts and getting that extra sliver of efficiency to help boost scores. You beat the map, now beat it properly, and better than others.

I picked up defense grid on sale I think and then played it so much that I, in a first and *only* time for me, pre-ordered to contribute to Defense Grid 2. (which ended up a bit of a disappointment, esp as high scores were overrun with cheaters)

Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic
Aug 18, 2020, 01:34
Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic Aug 18, 2020, 01:34
Aug 18, 2020, 01:34

Apple is kinda in the right to want money for hosting software on their platform.

That said, taking 30% of every micro-transaction.

Something I don't know: does Apple (and Google) then have an obligation to provide end-user software & technical support, process refunds, handle disputes and function in the way that a re-seller should? Or does apple just host the software "as is", take the money and absolve themselves of any after-sales responsibility?

I'm just thinking re Australian consumer law here: If I buy something from a shop, most of the money goes to the manufacturer, not the shop - but the storefront has to provide warranty support for that item, and refund if not fit for purpose. (even if it makes far less than 30%) -- This is what caused Valve/Steam so many rightfully deserved headaches.

Re: Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and Roadmap Update
Jul 30, 2020, 10:02
Re: Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and Roadmap Update Jul 30, 2020, 10:02
Jul 30, 2020, 10:02

This made me recall the parody posts for years about Star Citizen development.

This reads like one .... sans the "pledge" part to kickstart the roadmap design project.

"We have nothing new to announce, except for an initial timeline of the the multi-stage development project which will eventually become a new and better way to show development timelines to our citizens" ... wtf. Is this something those that pledge have looked for and appreciate - essentially announcing internal PR development of a development roadmap?

Edit - showed this to a brother who's a software developer and he said this looks like something that would come about from a management/project leader restructuring, or a restructuring of the development teams (perhaps due to high staff turnover). Also that is sounds like there is some massive internal f-ups somewhere.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2020, 10:16.

Re: Path of Exile Harvest Sprouts
Jun 20, 2020, 05:39
Re: Path of Exile Harvest Sprouts Jun 20, 2020, 05:39
Jun 20, 2020, 05:39

Kxmode wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 20:58:
This game has a harmful micro-transaction system.

I don't mind when a free game has a micro-transaction component. But I do mind when the publisher employs psychologically manipulative tactics to get people to keep buying stuff.

Oh no, a business is advertising a product for sale!! "Buy our product, it'll make your life better/more enjoyable! Catch our current special SALE! Limited Time Offer!" .... What is the world coming to? I've never seen such dastardly & nefarious acts from a business selling a product!

PoE has one of the least harmful micro-transaction systems out there. Some convenience purchases (tabs) which are permanently added to your account, then everything else is cosmetic. End game content is possible without spending money.

Re: New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews
Nov 26, 2019, 10:33
Re: New AMD and Intel CPU Reviews Nov 26, 2019, 10:33
Nov 26, 2019, 10:33

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 21:15:
The GamerNexus youtube review has at 23:09 a shot of CIV 6 turn times, and AMD isn't even showing up for the competition, that shows you how far AMD really is behind for my niche.

What is shows me is that these turn based AI games are poorly optimised (or not at all) for high core/thread count CPU's.

These aren't gaming CPUs. Anyone who earns money on productivity / creation based applications will be clamoring for one of these new threadrippers. A tradesperson that can buy a tool allowing them to perform multiple tasks 50-100% faster? no brainer.

The interesting thing to me is that in a few gaming benchmarks the threadripper came out on top at 1080p. They must really enjoy that new cache/bandwidth.

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Beta Delay
Aug 31, 2019, 20:07
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Beta Delay Aug 31, 2019, 20:07
Aug 31, 2019, 20:07

Slashman wrote on Aug 31, 2019, 19:56:
This isn't even funny anymore...

Who are the yahoos who keep giving this moron money?

Don't you know that this is going to be the best, grandest game ever, filled with utterly unique gampeplay alongside a utopian community filled with like minded individuals all dedicated to ensuring not only themselves, but everyone else has a thoroughly exciting, involving gameplay experience.

/s

It is bizarre how with each new concept design, ship release, game mode, you'll see the SC fans salivating over how its going to play, what its going to be like, how it will enable them to do <this>, <that> or <the other>. How <ship XYZ> will be great for <activity>.

All the while ignoring the entire history of game design, MMO's and the wide gaming community, and oblivious to the fact that the actual SC game and ship designs keep changing in ways which negate some previous excitement they had over <ship ABC> two years ago.

If not a cult, it is cultish behaviour - ignoring the real world, facts, life and pouring $1000's of dollars into a vision of a utopian community.

Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues
Jul 9, 2019, 10:35
Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues Jul 9, 2019, 10:35
Jul 9, 2019, 10:35

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 09:40:

Uhh... It was mostly a joke, nerd. Calm your little boi titties. I wish this site had a "jokingly says" flag like Videosift.

I will say, though, that it's gonna take a lot for AMD to pull ahead and offer real competition to nVidia the way ATi did.

Well usually one might put the /s tag.

It also Poe's Law coming into effect. I've seen similar sentiment elsewhere dismissing AMD by Intel fans (or trolls).

Also FYI I have big manly titties. Was nerd meant to be an insult?

Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues
Jul 9, 2019, 05:20
Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues Jul 9, 2019, 05:20
Jul 9, 2019, 05:20

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 02:44:
This is why AMD is the cheaper option. They save money by not hiring QA engineers.

So based on this single instance of a game problem, you are certain it is an AMD hardware QA issue and not, perchance, something in the destiny 2 code?

'cause, you know, ryzen 3000 series reviews everywhere, people benchmarking stress testing everywhere and nary a peep about incompatibility issues with common productivity software and standard gaming benchmarks.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support
Jun 12, 2019, 22:43
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 22:43
Jun 12, 2019, 22:43

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 20:52:
how light behaves in a crowded urban environment

It bounces off a pizza carrying rat and refracts thru the wings of a dead cockroach.
Anyone ever been to a crowded urban environment. Not a lot of clean shiny surfaces for reflections. Wink

I was contemplating this and remembered the X-Files episode "soft light" - where the main-plot character always tries to put himself in as complicated a multi-light source environment to avoid distinct shadows. Creating soft, diffuse shadows.

Crowded urban environments are much more complicated for lighting than shiny reflective rooms with a single light source.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support
Jun 12, 2019, 11:47
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 11:47
Jun 12, 2019, 11:47

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 08:47:
Woohoo, another stupid developer adds the ray tracing gimmick.

Not a gimmick, a rendering technique for lighting scenes that computer hardware is in its infancy generating real time. That does improve the graphics realism.

When Cyberpunk 2077 comes out there will probably be a new nVidia card with 30-40% (or more) perf on the 2080Ti. If I wait until 2021, it might be close to double. Perhaps they will implement more/better RT cores as well that improve performance gains even more. Perhaps AMD or even Intel will have something in a couple years.

10 years time, full scene RTRT will be standard and old titles will be quaint with their rasterization tricks. "OMG all those artist work hours just to generate semi-realistic lighting for each scene - god I'm glad i wasn't working back then."

Re: Sunday Mobilization
Jun 9, 2019, 20:10
Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 9, 2019, 20:10
Jun 9, 2019, 20:10

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 19:18:

Saturated with devices, children today might grow up to see navigation from memory or a paper map as anachronistic as rote memorization or typewriting.

practicing navigation is a powerful form of engagement with the environment that can inspire a greater sense of stewardship. Finding our way on our own — using perception, empirical observation and problem-solving skills — forces us to attune ourselves to the world.

Is it something important anyone really needs to worry about? It is definitely a life skill to be able to get around without constant computerised directions.

I have seen anecdotes about people from younger generations somewhat amazed &/or perplexed at an older person being able to look at a street directory and then navigate.

Even if using navigation, I will still want to look at a map to get a general sense of where I'm going beforehand. I'll still sometimes navigate by on-screen map in the car instead of putting in an actual address for assisted navigation.
40 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older