Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Megalodon

Real Name Megalodon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Megalodon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 8, 2015, 21:47
Total Comments 322 (Amateur)
User ID 58190

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming

37. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 23:54 Megalodon

I agree. I found AMD video cards this generation were a disappointment after the significant jump we saw with Maxwell. Beyond keeping Nvidia honest I'm not sure what they're going to good for in the future. Their marketshare is pretty low even in the enthusiast space and their mainstream product lines are all toast. As a company they seem to be circling the toilet, losing money and investor faith.

They completely missed the boat on tablets and phones which could've propped them up in the face of their ailing CPU lines. They really need a miracle, lost something like 400mil last year and I don't think they have anymore fabs to sell off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 20:03 Megalodon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:47:
I think it's interesting that, when discussing AMD/ATi, the products most focused on are graphics cards. I agree with Murder She Wrote's statement of "Every arch can't be a winner and both companies have made notable stinkers in the past." The FX5800 and its noise level come to mind from Nvidia.

However, what I mostly focus on is CPUs and AMD hasn't released a decent CPU that is competitive in power consumption, performance, and heat generation with Intel in a very, very long time. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Athlon XP (Palomino) way back in 2000. Yes, AMD is less expensive than Intel's offerings but, then, they have to be as that is the only area that they can be competitive with Intel in.

My own anecdotal experience with AMD is not a very particularly positive one. I had an Athlon XP (Thunderbird) with an Asus A7V board. The CPU dropped dead within 11 months. The next AMD procs I had were the Athlon MPs in a cluster of servers that were running off of Tyan Tiger S2460 motherboards. Every second core dropped dead within 3 months of deployment, all within about the span of two weeks. After working with Tyan and AMD, it was discovered that the problem was not with the Tyan motherboards, but a voltage regulation problem with the SMP of the Athlon MPs. The AMD engineer promised it would be fixed with a microcode update but I had a business to run. Swapped them out for Xeons and different motherboards and never had another problem.

Just for grins, I went to CPUBoss and pitted the Xeon E3-1275v2 that I have in my current gaming machine against an Opteron of the same vintage with double the cores. The E3 won rather handily. You can see it here. Before any AMD fanboy whines that it's just single core performance comparison with no multicore sampling, I'd point out that in every day use, most of what you run is single threaded.

Is my Xeon a bit of an overkill for home use? For most people, probably so, but then most people don't have 6 to 8 VMs running in the backround while playing Dying Light, either.

I don't think anyone will dispute their CPUs being trash for a long time now. Hot and power hungry, terrible IPC and their lack of a real certification program in lieu of AMD guideline boards means their partners have been phoning in QA for a long time. That's a big part of why their motherboards have been so dubious in my opinion. Their R&D got gutted and they're losing money like crazy, I'm not sure where they have left to go. Intel is killing them in laptops which was almost a strong market once upon a time. They don't have a viable mobile SoC. Their video cards this gen barely kept parity with Nvidia who has a lot more R&D muscle. I'm glad I'm not an AMD shareholder, they're in a tough spot.

Hopefully they get bought out by a bigger player who can bankroll them. I think there was a Samsung rumor awhile ago.

32. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 19:55 Megalodon

That is quite the meltdown. When you announce yourself a fanboy and declare loyalty for a brand you discredit yourself, don't blame me for your own actions. Stomping your feet and swearing at me doesn't exactly make anyone take you more seriously, I'm not a 13 year old who is impressed by such things. All I said was that AMD has made some shitty video cards over the years and several people agreed. I didn't say they were all bad but you apparently decided to take it that way. I've owned several previous gen Nvidia and AMD cards too, like I'm sure most people here have. We currently have an AMD based HTPC and an Nvidia gaming PC even. I always buy products based on their own merits, not based out of some misplaced loyalty or susceptibility to marketing/branding.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"

4. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 17:49 Megalodon

Anonymous sources, video game press LOL.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship

178. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 16:22 Megalodon

dsmart wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:13:
And the point of the comparison is without merit.

Just because the comparison embarrasses you doesn't mean its without merit. Perhaps you should worry about putting work into your own products and let other creators worry about their own projects. If you spent as much time creating your games as you did waging war on the internet the end result might be better for yourself and the few customers you've ever had.

But who am I kidding? This is what you really want - the attention. It's always what the trolls want.

27. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 15:53 Megalodon

Rigs wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 14:24:
Did I not just say I was an AMD/ATI fanboy? Why am I 'so defensive and hostile about others being balanced and buying products based on their merits'? Oh, 'bruh'? It's so funny how you can sit there in previous posts and bash AMD and then wonder why someone that actually LIKES AMD would come in and defend it. For the same reason you talk shit about it is why I come in here and defend it

Admitting your own bias doesn't make your comments valid, if anything its more the opposite. It's funny you think I was bashing AMD by stating they had made some shitty products in that timespan, its just a fact. Every arch can't be a winner and both companies have made notable stinkers in the past.People shouldn't have to preface every potentially negative comment just because you're a sensitive little girl about graphics cards. I'm not sure why you're so emotionally invested in a random corporation who makes video cards but its apparent you want to argue to the death or something so I'm going to go play Borderlands. And laugh about the thought of you fuming behind your keyboard whenever anyone dares to insult our lord and savior Advanced Micro Devices

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2015, 15:59.

22. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 10:40 Megalodon

Rigs wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 09:15:
Bizarre and defensive, eh? So bringing up facts that support my argument, even if it isn't strictly gaming related is bizarre now? Yes, I'm defensive. I'm an AMD/ATI fanboy...duh. Everyone knows that. Get with the program, dude!

Bitcoin mining and the weak console APUs which can barely manage 60fps in most 720p games aren't exactly facts that support any argument here. Buying a brand instead of a product just means you're buying into marketing. AMD has put out dog shit products in the past and I didn't buy them. Same with Nvidia. My comment is as valid as yours, maybe you've never used an Nvidia product and are lying. I guess if I was weird I could just assume that but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I don't know why you're so defensive and hostile about others being balanced and buying products based on their merits "bruh". Getting that emotionally invested in a brand is really strange, it reminds me of the Apple cult.

Getting back to things that matter, I dislike the idea of GeForce Now. The latency will never be there for many of the games I care about and I don't like having no local access to the product.

17. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 08:07 Megalodon

Rigs wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 00:40:
nVidia hasn't exactly had the best time with their drivers as of late, so I'm not sure why you'd even be throwing rocks from your glass house? The last time I had ANY problems with AMD/ATI drivers was way the fuck back in 2006 with my X850Pro. My HD-series cards (4870, 5770 and now 7850) all have had absolutely NO issues whatsoever.***

The last time I had any problems with Nvidia drivers was in 2005, I guess I win this battle of anecdotes. Seriously though, I've owned both brands for a long time now, I'm even running 2 different gaming machines in this house with a card from each. AMD has been pretty shitty just like Nvidia has been pretty shitty and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. They both go through periods of idiotic design, both in terms of hardware and software.

The rest of your post is really bizarre and defensive, talking about bitcoin and consoles smacks of desperation to be blunt. Instead of getting so invested in a particular brand you should probably weigh each card on its own merits.

In terms of AMD continuing on..well they aren't doing that hot.

11. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Sep 30, 2015, 23:33 Megalodon

WaltC wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:23:
The constant spewing of childish BS like this is precisely why I haven't bought a nVidia GPU since 2002...! Ugh...! (But it's fun watching them do moronic stuff like this...;))

AMD had some pretty shitty years in there, not so sure I would be boasting about that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?

139. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 18:35 Megalodon

Krovven wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 15:56:
Derek Smart has no business going on this vendetta of his to bring CIG and everyone inside of it down. It's a direct conflict of interest, has gone way beyond the point of obsession and he's attacking individuals inside of the company directly damaging many of those peoples lives over this witch hunt of his. This personal conflict shit happens every day in companies and CIG is not special in that regard. In this case, it's an outside individual stirring the pot that arguably has something to gain from the failure of Star Citizen (that's a whole other topic). It's none of his business and at the very least he should have ended his crusade when they refunded his donation.

Not to mention its especially amusing considering his long and storied history of buggy, unfinished games. Not an iota of introspection.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer

3. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer Sep 30, 2015, 09:34 Megalodon

I watched some gameplay videos from a guy who got invited to check it out, not encouraging. The parkour is pointless when you grapple anywhere and one of the first missions had him tailing someone who had to tackle. Like every other stupid AC game. Same shit, new title. Count me out.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 30, 2015, 09:05 Megalodon

Activision phoned that new Tony Hawk game in from their budget division. One guy I talked to there said they literally don't give a shit and its just to make money because the contract expires. I told him to fuck himself.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?

132. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 09:02 Megalodon

Some people here have way too much time on their hands, its like watching some idiot declare war on a neighbour because the guy parked near his property once upon a time.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews

10. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 29, 2015, 07:47 Megalodon

InBlack wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 03:13:
Holy shit, you guys are the biggest bunch of pussies ever. Hhahah, oh noes, Half Life 2 made me queasy....

Im pretty sure that even though some of you experienced problems playing 3d FPS games, the vast majority or people didn't and probably won't with properly designed VR gear.

I don't know, you do nothing but whine around here so I would probably assume you're a bigger pussy. What now bitch?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 28, 2015, 22:43 Megalodon

"We're not reading your email, but we have custody of your email," he said. "How do you distill those two things?"

Yeah that's reassuring, thanks mr executive.

News Comments > MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8

45. Re: MS Kills Safedisc DRM in Win 7 & 8 Sep 26, 2015, 08:34 Megalodon

I used to upload trojan trainers to gamecopyworld for banner slaves back when ad networks didn't have advanced referral checks and such. I know for a fact others did the same for game patches including some of the volunteer staffers. Not all of those positives were false

Fortunately many of the people who download such things also think they're an internet expert because they can use google and half of them don't even run AV software so they have no idea they're infected. Fun times.

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan

38. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 26, 2015, 08:28 Megalodon

shihonage wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 19:00:
So yeah... enjoy your normalcy bias, but I am looking forward to the near future.

So that's a no then? You're not running Linux? Ok it looks like its not ready yet if the people arguing for it can't even be bothered. Wake me up when people are ready to stand behind their words.

If it took you 20 minutes to figure out how to power cycle a Windows 8.1 machine then I wouldn't be in any rush to run Linux distributions.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2015, 13:26 Megalodon

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 11:41:
San Francisco, full of loonie toons any more. Doing a start up business in California is flat out stupid.

San Francisco is very startup friendly, lots of tax breaks, great amenities, the public likes it and the tech sector is already there. You're bad and you should feel bad. Get better at the internet or just stop, you're making the rest of us dumber just having to read your trash.

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan

21. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 18:17 Megalodon

shihonage wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 15:49:
There are 1500 games on Linux already... Valve is undermining Microsoft, and it's doing all the right things. Linux is the future that's been taking its time coming, but it is inevitable... Mr. Anderson.

So you're running Linux instead of Windows then right?

News Comments > Out of the Blue

15. Re: Florida Man Sep 24, 2015, 07:26 Megalodon

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 10:24:
The VW crime just keeps growing....

Volkswagen says 11 million cars hit by scandal, probes multiply

Already class-action suits are starting to roll out, etc. That's why I said anyone who thinks buying VW stock at this point is a great deal is going to take a bath. As this thing snowballs it has the potential to break the company. At the very least its going to hurt it for at least the next 2 decades if it ever recovers.

You just said a few days ago that you believe in a magical youtube fairy that can predict everything that occurs in the stock market. Maybe people don't care what you think about car stocks.

322 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >