98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Quake Gets New Beta and ESRB Listing
Aug 19, 2021, 14:54
Re: Quake Gets New Beta and ESRB Listing Aug 19, 2021, 14:54
Aug 19, 2021, 14:54

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2021, 13:48:
It's available now and it's $10

People complain about old games losing support and no longer running, but then the same people complain about beloved old games getting updated so new gamers can easily access them and old gamers can properly run them on their rigs.

It's $10.

I can tell you why people would complain about updating these games since I actually have modded Quake and help out a QuakeWorld source port (we use it for our game):

This re-release has modified base game content in a way that now makes it incompatible for people to play with older installs. Literally everyone now is divided between two different releases of Quake, not to mention this now uses a new proprietary format for some of the content which will now have to be studied and reverse engineered and put into source ports, all in their own free time of course (this did not have to done this way at all for the record, Quake supports additional content via PAKs). Then there is the fact that just like DOOM's re-release, this requires you make a Bethesda.net account for Quake, the game that practically started self hosting online play. I also find all of these new additions amusing since they exist in source ports already (even Peer to peer games and splitscreen), and there's a good chance this new Quake engine is going to be closed and not given back to the community. I hope I'm wrong on that part.

So yeah, that's why some people might not like these old games getting "updated". For the record I'm not against making Quake more accessible, but it was unnecessary to clash against decades of solid community work and standards. This is for marketing to new generations and people who haven't played in decades, not for people who actively mod and love the game imho.

I hope the new generations know there are open ways to play these classic games, open source ports or reverse engineered efforts are the future, not corporate repackages.

EDIT: After doing some more testing/digging with some friends, it all seems to load in the source port we use and the "proprietary" format appears to be just a ZIP file (so it's kind of odd they don't use PK3), and finally the original content IS included (as a separate launch/folder) you still have to create a Bethseda account for the new engine. It also won't override any mods you have installed for old Quake (thank goodness). While I'm glad they include the original content and the new stuff will more or less work in most source ports, playing online with said modded content with other Quake engines is problematic, not to mention the Bethesda.net registration/closed engine is a no thanks for me. It could've been worse I suppose, and just keep in mind what other modders/game communities have to go through with remasters.

Fun fact, turns out they used the game logic compiler from the engine I help out, so that's pretty neat and crazy!

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2021, 16:24.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Record
Jun 27, 2021, 16:21
Re: Team Fortress 2 Record Jun 27, 2021, 16:21
Jun 27, 2021, 16:21

It's pretty impressive they have the data from September 2007 (the first public beta for Orange Box pre-order folk), back then Steam didn't track much, not even your playtime! I still wonder how many of these are bots, but TF2 does seem strangely popular again, for a nearly 14 year old game that's pretty cool.

Re: Evening Patches
Jun 23, 2021, 04:43
Re: Evening Patches Jun 23, 2021, 04:43
Jun 23, 2021, 04:43

It's nice to see some map changes like this, what an out of nowhere but really appreciated (and needed) update. I still think it's best to play on well moderated and curated custom servers, but improving the matchmaking experience is always welcomed. Hope to see more but for how old TF2 is, I'll take what I can get.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 23, 2021, 04:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2021, 04:36
Jun 23, 2021, 04:36

Happy 25 to one of my favorite games! I've always been grateful my father was not only a PC gamer, but loved to play these games with me! So many great memories of the mods (Team Fortress of course!) and many games played over the years. My Dad always loves telling the story of how he had a server on MPlayer(dot)com, and for context, servers on that service would die when all players left. Well he of course had to stop for the night, but his server still had people on, and the next day he logged back on to see the same server had still been going 24 hours later! Nonstop frags! His other stories about how people used Quake/MPlayer just as a way to simply hangout are also great, especially since some of it wasn't too different from when I modded with my friends in my teenage years ha!

It's amazing to think how there's still a handful of popular games today that have their engine rooted in Quake (or idTech rather). We all owe so much.

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Jun 20, 2021, 13:14
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2021, 13:14
Jun 20, 2021, 13:14

Felt it was worth adding my experience/two cents here as well.

I switched to Linux several years ago, and have only wished I did it sooner. Back then, WINE front-ends were the best “simple” choice for gaming, DirectX 10/11 didn't work on WINE, general driver support was good but not perfect, Linux was still really more for the enthusiast. It didn't win me at first, but over time I never felt the same amount of control or security with Windows.

Fast forward today, my gaming PC is Linux, WINE is supported by Valve and BUILT INTO STEAM (still blows my mind), and it supports DirectX 10/11/12! I just confirm I want to use Steam Play and bam, I can play 95% of games with little to no hassle. Driver support is much better, and gets better all the time but YMMV.

As similarly stated in this thread and worth stating again, all games don't work, a lot of software vendors are still treating Linux as a third-class citizen, and sadly, that one or two pieces of software you really like may not have a port/alternative or work/play well with WINE. You might need a VM every now and then, but honestly I only pull it out for old (16-bit/really wonky) installers for mods, again YMMV. Even then, we have so many reversed engineered game projects like OpenMW, ScummVM, OpenRCT2, and countless others. Not to mention you now have stuff like RetroArch for managing all your emulators/games, and some of this stuff I mentioned is even on Steam, all you noobs are spoiled!

You can always try Linux out on a USB, dual-boot from another drive, or install it on another machine, and if you still don't like it, then hey, at least you gave it a shot. And if BoP says his granny can do it, well...

When I switched, I had the advantage of being much younger and had a lot more time, and it would seem hard now, but I did a similar thing back in 2019 when I decided to switch to OpenBSD for my daily driver install. Now that I wouldn't recommend to any one who games, for that I recommend Linux!

Also, in regards as to why users might feel inclined to use Windows despite having the time/skill-set to switch, it's because we like familiar systems/designs (we already have comments here hating on Windows 11's small changes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome

Jun 18, 2021, 14:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2021, 14:53
Jun 18, 2021, 14:53

Hope you have a speedy recovery Blue! I was in my first accident recently too, not fun

Re: Evening Metaverse
Jun 18, 2021, 14:46
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 18, 2021, 14:46
Jun 18, 2021, 14:46

Fantaz wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 23:35:
What's a better ftp client, WinSCP, Filezilla, or some other?
I've always really liked Filezilla myself as someone who uses or helps out people with a host of different Operating Systems (I use Linux/OpenBSD, others use Windows). I mean if you're on Linux/BSD you can always do CLI, but who wants to type "scp -p /path/to/file" for hundreds of files. A fun fact I learned today is that WinSCP apparently based its FTP implementation off of FileZilla, so go figure

Re: etc.
Jun 6, 2021, 16:41
Re: etc. Jun 6, 2021, 16:41
Jun 6, 2021, 16:41

SlimRam wrote on Jun 5, 2021, 17:43:
Holy shit, the fact that his game only sold 2100 copies in the first week in Japan is frightening.

It sounds like the chucklehead from Quantic Dreams, David Cage, may be looking for a new job soon from that other article posted here so who knows; maybe together they can make an 'Emotional, gripping... fingertipping, drama filled platformer'. Press X to Jump, Triangle to Cry...

Yuji Naka is a very kind and talented developer, he's also the programmer behind Sonic the Hedgehog in case you don't know. He's always supportive of fans and will engage with them on Twitter.

When it comes to Balan Wonderworld, it seemed like an OK game, but there's been rumors that Yuji Naka was aiming for this to be a mobile game, and Square supposedly wanted to push for consoles (sadly can't find anything solid on this).

Regardless, please leave this talented and kind man alone, and don't compare or even joke about him working this:

https://kotaku.com/report-quantic-dream-executives-cry-ask-if-they-can-l-1847036252

Re: Morning Metaverse
Sep 25, 2015, 11:45
Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2015, 11:45
Sep 25, 2015, 11:45

I imagine in the distant future, if Mankind is still around, the same phenomenon going on with IPv6.

Re: Laborious Consolidation
Sep 7, 2015, 18:20
Re: Laborious Consolidation Sep 7, 2015, 18:20
Sep 7, 2015, 18:20

Never been a big Amiga guy, but AmigaOS 4 always fascinated me. Would be fun to get one of their PowerPC rigs and play some Quake or Chocolate Doom on it.

Aug 26, 2015, 21:08
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2015, 21:08
Aug 26, 2015, 21:08

Genesys wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 20:49:
My hope is that there be such massive pushback from users and addon developers that Mozilla will keep XPI support around for a good long time.

I hope so, there has been tons of negative feedback, I doubt Mozilla is just ignoring it. I mean, they want to go away from GUI-Toolkits to some mediocre HTML/JS interface that can be barely changed by their wanna be Chrome extensions. Is this what the future of browsers should really be? I happen to use Lighting with Google Tasks and Google Calenders. Since it's an XPI addon, it actually adds two entire tabs and toolbars to Seamonkey's Mail window. Thanks to the Seamonkey's GUI, I have a tasks sidebar loaded from Lighting on my browsing window. With the way Mozilla wants to go, these customizations will be lost (and a lot of them are already starting to be killed off).

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2015, 21:14.

Aug 26, 2015, 15:26
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2015, 15:26
Aug 26, 2015, 15:26

I hope SeaMonkey doesn't remove XPI addon support, like now insane company Mozilla is doing. I want a browser, not some shit Chrome clone.

Re: etc.
Jul 19, 2015, 01:08
Re: etc. Jul 19, 2015, 01:08
Jul 19, 2015, 01:08

To be honest, not so sad about LinuxGames closing due to a number of reasons, but it's incredibly sad to see the main host, "AtomicGamer" close. Tons of gaming history and content hosted on their for years, such a shame to see more of the final nail in the coffin for the golden era of gaming. I am so grateful the boys at Archive Team are saving this site, they really are doing God's work. Rest in peace Telefragged.

Jun 22, 2015, 10:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2015, 10:25
Jun 22, 2015, 10:25

Ah Quake, one of the games that left a huge impact on my childhood. Both the standalone product, the expansions, and of course the amazing amount of mods for it. As I grew older, and began reading about the creation of it through NeXTSTEP and the inner turmoils inside id at the time, it only made me appreciate the game more. I'll admit, Quake may not be as easy to get into for everyone like DOOM, and it has its own set of flaws, but there's still something so special about Quake after all these years. So happy birthday Quake!

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Jun 1, 2015, 10:49
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 1, 2015, 10:49
Jun 1, 2015, 10:49

Although I don't trust the NSA to follow the law, this is a step in the right direction.

Re: Op Ed
Jun 1, 2015, 10:32
Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2015, 10:32
Jun 1, 2015, 10:32

"It should be noted here that for reasons I truly do not understand, McIntosh has me blocked on Twitter"

I chuckled at that part, especially since that McIntosh moron has blocked me for just favoriting a troll tweet directed at him. He will basically try to get rid of anyone who does not favor his inane view of the world, rather scary I must say.

Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers
Apr 25, 2015, 18:53
Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers Apr 25, 2015, 18:53
Apr 25, 2015, 18:53

Asmodai wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 10:56:
Xylemon wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 05:02:
Yeah, god forbid anyone criticize them for restricting someone's freedom of expression.

Freedom of expression comes with responsibilities, but it is exercised in appropriate forums.

Using someone's game as a platform would be the same as demanding the right to take over TV programming and saying whatever you want. You do not have the right to use the game as a vehicle for expression as the game is not a democratic society, it's a product sold for entertainment purposes.

Much like forums, the people running the game have the right to clamp down on whatever they see fit, and you have the right to choose not to buy it.

Stop confusing the right to express yourself with trampling others rights, in this case, the creators of the game. If you feel so strongly about freely expressing yourself in a game, make your own...

Obviously you fail to understand several things:

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with Tripwire covering their ass in a EULA, but they shouldn't try to sound like some dictatorship that harms you for doing what you please with a product you paid for (especially if you host a 3rd party server). I understand they probably won't, but I feel they should still word it differently.

Secondly, unlike TV, games tend to come with the option to modify the game with the SDK that even KF2 provides. Are you telling me that there is no freedom of expression in that sense? Even the base things such as chatting, choosing a name, and even changing your player model is a base form of expression.

Thirdly, of course freedom of speech comes with responsibilities, especially if you say racial or bigoted comments. But again, if Tripwire says in their EULA it doesn't represent them, then the responsibility on their part is done. Don't tell me you think that all the racial and hate-filled banter on CS all those years or the Alyx nude mods were "reflective of Valve".

Lastly, I am working on a retail project, and we won't have a stupid phrase like this in our EULA, so that cop out "why don't do you better" phrase won't work this time

Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers
Apr 25, 2015, 05:02
Re: Killing Floor 2 EULA vs Griefers Apr 25, 2015, 05:02
Apr 25, 2015, 05:02

This whole statement in their EULA is rather silly to me. I can understand if on their official servers they didn't want this behavior, but griefing, hacking, "cyber bulling" as they like to say nowadays, should be up to the 3rd Party server hosters to decide what they feel is appropriate. I've also heard this was in the old KF EULA, and has only ever been used twice (one of them being on a very active hacker), so I suppose nothing will really change from KF1 with this EULA anyway.

EDIT: If anything, they should only say they are NOT responsible for any of these actions in terms of covering legal problems, not claim they'll take away your key.

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 02:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 00:11:
Oh, my bad, I forgot positive things are completely uninteresting to the PC gaming community.

Yeah, god forbid anyone criticize them for restricting someone's freedom of expression.
98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older