Descending
Limit Results:

98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Threewave CTF Returns to Quake
Aug 19, 2022, 13:35
Re: Threewave CTF Returns to Quake Aug 19, 2022, 13:35
Aug 19, 2022, 13:35

I gotta say this is really cool, Threewave is legendary!

Re: OotB: Sad news
Aug 11, 2022, 01:09
Re: OotB: Sad news Aug 11, 2022, 01:09
Aug 11, 2022, 01:09

RIP Mynx

Re: Evening Interviews
Aug 4, 2022, 23:56
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 4, 2022, 23:56
Aug 4, 2022, 23:56

I was waiting for this since I saw John mention it on his Twitter, but unfortunate circumstances kept popping up and preventing it from happening every time. So happy it finally happened, this interview is so awesome! It's really long, but I can listen to Carmack for hours on end

Re: OotB: Doomed!
Aug 3, 2022, 15:12
Re: OotB: Doomed! Aug 3, 2022, 15:12
Aug 3, 2022, 15:12

Always liked Doom 3, it was (and still is) a graphical beauty. I remember it's never not been a controversial title, quite a few people still dismiss the game today which I think is rather sad because despite its flaws it's a solid title. That being said, Resurrection of Evil is better than the main game. So happy it's all Open Source nowadays.

This along with Far Cry and Half-Life 2 is why I have such fond memories of 2004

Also thanks Blue for always linking to old newsposts, they're such a nostalgia trip.

Hardline Mike wrote on Aug 3, 2022, 13:54:
I kinda miss the era of huge leaps in graphics quality every few years. Everything is so incremental now, and the popularity of multiplayer and open world games means performance, and in the case of open world games, the ability to display a lot of shit of moderate quality, and a wide install base is more important than graphics.

Yeah as a developer there are some noteworthy engine technology that are exciting, but as a player there isn't a lot to notice in terms of fidelity.

To be honest, the only events that really blew my mind in the last decade was the arrival of Oculus, and playing HL: Alyx in VR. It brought back that feeling of being excited for technology advancement which I've missed dearly.

Re: OotB: 41 Years!
Aug 2, 2022, 16:46
Re: OotB: 41 Years! Aug 2, 2022, 16:46
Aug 2, 2022, 16:46

Sorry for late post but wanted to say a couple things, such as welcome back BoP!

Regarding the forums and moderation, I'm sorry it's been rough lately Blue. It does honestly shock me that even here of all places we cannot escape the endless hate the Internet seems to throw at us. And I'm also sorry for ever contributing to any moderation hardship. I've retaught myself to just ignore and report such inflammatory posts instead, but I'm glad to hear there is some changes going on because some people just push it too far.

Also still incredibly sad about Nichelle Nichols, my Mom finally got to meet and greet with her at our local Comic-Con nearing 10 years ago, and she told me Nichelle was just as kind and fun as ever. I always regretted not being able to go, but I think I regret it now more than ever, RIP.

Re: OotB: Triple dog dare!
Jul 30, 2022, 15:01
Re: OotB: Triple dog dare! Jul 30, 2022, 15:01
Jul 30, 2022, 15:01

Just wanted to say thank you Frans!

The other day I was doing some research, and since Blue's News is so well maintained, I was able to search for articles all the way back to 1996/1997 on here with fully working per-release screenshots.

I honestly can not think of a single site like Blue's News, so many sites don't even attempt to save anything or migrate databases, yet on here so much history and culture is perfectly preserved. It's an archivist's dream. Keep up the great work!

Fun fact:

I was looking at Half-Life's original SDK page, and while that page itself is gone, Valve linked to a Blue's News upload of the SDK, and guess what? That links still works to this day. You all should be proud

Re: Gearbox Software Forums Closing
Jul 21, 2022, 21:35
Re: Gearbox Software Forums Closing Jul 21, 2022, 21:35
Jul 21, 2022, 21:35

-snip- didn't mean to post yet.

Re: Gearbox Software Forums Closing
Jul 21, 2022, 17:17
Re: Gearbox Software Forums Closing Jul 21, 2022, 17:17
Jul 21, 2022, 17:17

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 21, 2022, 15:27:
It's a depreciated system that far less people use in favor of social media presence.

My experiences on their forums in particular is that, at best, there are a few hundred people that post on it, and the most regular posts had little to do with actual feedback. This doesn't even acknowledge the disparity in people who claimed that Gearbox "never read the posts" remarks that pops up regularly.

The resources to manage a forum are much higher than that of dedicated social media platforms and it removes from them the need to constantly babysit forum management software.

Your opinion on social media ignores the fact that a far larger audience of people use it than they do specific pub/dev forums.

It's a tragedy that a lot of people share your attitude on this. As someone who is still relatively young (mid twenties), the deprecation of forums will be immensely damaging to gaming history, and it will make finding answers to problems genuinely more difficult. There is not a single benefit to having to sign up to a data harvesting proprietary chat service to ask the same questions over and over because Discord's search is poorly implemented and they delete the chat history over time as well.

I do not think Discord is bad because it's some new thing and I'm "old", the reality is it's an incredibly troubling service that's rampant with problems of spam and sexual abuse, and the company behind it feels very much like they created the entire thing hoping to "cash out" when it grew large enough with the right buyer or to milk their users for all their worth (or both).

These chat services aren't like forums, you won't have a history of everything, meaning community creations, guides, etc will be even more at risk of being lost, and I'm sure when Discord goes (which it very much will), I doubt you will even get as nice of a time window to collect your things and get out.

I think in the modern day there are more legal woes and costs that come with hosting forums/user accounts, which makes sense why you'd move to something like an officially sanctioned Steam Discussions/Reddit since Valve or Reddit can deal with the legal nonsense while you focus on moderation. Steam would probably be the most logical since it would cut out the factor of having to make a new account and I bet a majority probably are playing on there anyway right?

I'll end this reply with a story I have regarding this subject:

I once joined a help chat with a fairly specific inquiry, of course it was quickly drowned out with a barrage of other questions, most which were basic and saw interactions like, "Did you read the pinned topic?", "oh no I didn't". Eventually I had to consult a friend in real life who also was familiar with the program and they gave me actual help. I did share my friend's solution on the help chat, but it's not like anyone saw or anyone who might have the same inquiry would ever see since it was quickly drowned out with noise. So it's a lot like IRC, but now 10 times more bloated, laggy, and unfun. Very cool. Hope you all enjoy this future, it's genuinely terrible.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2022, 17:53.

Re: OotB: Feed me!
Jun 26, 2022, 17:06
Re: OotB: Feed me! Jun 26, 2022, 17:06
Jun 26, 2022, 17:06

Thanks so much for the RSS Feed changes Blue! So far so good!

Re: OotB: Quaking in my boots
Jun 22, 2022, 22:22
Re: OotB: Quaking in my boots Jun 22, 2022, 22:22
Jun 22, 2022, 22:22

Happy Birthday Quake! I'm still glad we have our old Voodoo 2 my Dad got just for GLQuake. It's funny how at the time we thought the texture filtering (blurriness) was amazing because you didn't see the "pixels" anymore, but nowadays I can't play Quake unless I turn it off, heh.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Jun 22, 2022, 22:07
Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Released Jun 22, 2022, 22:07
Jun 22, 2022, 22:07

This is great! They finally have addressed the bots and you no longer have to go on community servers, for now. I heard a rumor there might be more coming, but we'll see.

Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Tomorrow
Jun 22, 2022, 21:46
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Tomorrow Jun 22, 2022, 21:46
Jun 22, 2022, 21:46

I hope they paid the developers of ScummVM who did the actual work (for free) of getting this running. Same to the developers of the AI upscaler they very clearly used. They game is on GOG if you want the original at a good price.

I love Open Source, but the amount of companies that take advantage of that hard work is very disheartening.

Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster
Jun 5, 2022, 01:05
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 5, 2022, 01:05
Jun 5, 2022, 01:05

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 23:58:
Xylemon, I admire your "I don't get it", so succinctly put.

To quote my father, "As Popeye said, 'I yams what I yams.'"

Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Jun 4, 2022, 23:09

edaciousx wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 22:52:
Isn't the quake remaster significantly better than everything put out there by the public?

Well, I have to be honest that I'm automatically biased because I am involved/work with an open source Quake engine myself. That being said, there are engines that do just as much if not more, and the Quake remaster actually uses the communities QuakeC fork (FTEQCC), which is really awesome.

I guess when I think about it, I suppose it's the centralization/ease of distribution that is probably the most desirable aspect for players/the communities, I mean if an old game gets something like Steam Workshop, everyone still wins in someway right? The jaded part of me just wishes the remasters/re-releases were more open, Quake's was at least.

Rilcon wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 21:36:
I can't be the only one that would just open Unreal 1's SP maps in UT2K4 and play them fully that way :p

Haha yeah! And playing invasion with Unreal 1 monsters on UT2K4

Jun 4, 2022, 21:27
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 4, 2022, 21:27
Jun 4, 2022, 21:27

Laughing Man wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 12:50:
Please stop using social media as a way to bully a company into doing what you want. How about they do something like create their own game instead of remastering for cash grabs and slapping their name on it as a developer because they "helped."

I wouldn't have worded it this way, but I have to say I actually agree. This kind of business question in the public is really inappropriate and feels like an attempt to peer-pressure Epic Games. However, Nightdive should (or maybe they do) know that Epic has already been letting the community (OldUnreal) handle the code/engine for Unreal 1, so there already has been FREE community efforts/"remasters". OldUnreal runs fine on modern Windows and even has Linux ports, I would trust them over the mixed bag efforts Nightdive have had. Opening the code to System Shock 1 was the best thing ever did imho, their System Shock 1/Strife releases were good, but not much else and a lot of it uses their weird engine instead of the original game code. And don't give them too much credit for their Quake efforts, from what I understand Nightdive just did platform stuff, aka porting it to different systems, which isn't really that special.

I don't get it, why are so many people rushing to buy a proprietary soon-to-be-obsolete version of these games when we have free and/or open community efforts in games like Quake that will out live these "remasters"/re-releases?

Also some others pointed this out too, where is their System Shock game? The one that was Kickstarted over what, 5-6 years ago now? Shouldn't they be more focused on that?

Re: Quoteworthy
May 27, 2022, 04:30
Re: Quoteworthy May 27, 2022, 04:30
May 27, 2022, 04:30

I'm happy to see how positive the #savetf2 event was, and it's nice that Valve responded.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever E3 2001 Trailer: Atomic 4K Edition
May 22, 2022, 19:26
Re: Duke Nukem Forever E3 2001 Trailer: Atomic 4K Edition May 22, 2022, 19:26
May 22, 2022, 19:26

I was waiting for someone to do this since the leak happened, now that we have all the content and E3 maps. It's cool to finally see this classic in HD, though I was hoping they'd at least fix the security guy model and door since they are broken in this build sadly.

Still one of the greatest video game trailers ever created! Just a shame 3DR spent more time on this than the actual game at one point, though it's interesting to think this trailer alone influenced many games and developers.

Re: Rumor Mill
May 9, 2022, 16:33
Re: Rumor Mill May 9, 2022, 16:33
May 9, 2022, 16:33

A friend showed me this last night before bed and it of course kept me up. This leak is really insane because it appears to be the real deal.

For now they've only shown off pictures and video, but the leaker in question is claiming they will dump the full thing "soon". I hope it comes out, but regardless this was a treat to see, it does seem a bit more complete than previously thought which is fascinating.

Apr 29, 2022, 20:24
Re: Quoteworthy Apr 29, 2022, 20:24
Apr 29, 2022, 20:24

milspecmonkey wrote on Apr 29, 2022, 19:15:
It is a collective leftist REEEE fest about Twitter because they aren't even hiding how obviously it has been catered in their favor. Musk has already clarified he does not intend on free speech anarchy. People are tired of seeing ANTIFA get to openly plan violent events and general racism against white people is allowed, meanwhile the Babylon Bee get's banned for a trans joke.

Here is some actual studies and news articles, not just me typing nonsensical dribble:

Study #1

Study #2

Article #1

Article #2

There's also a lot more out there, if you are capable of ignoring your own agenda for reality.

To claim "little-to-none of these platforms or tech companies being owned or ran by leftists" is the real delusion especially when Jack Dorsey just got pushed out for basically being too moderate, in this case merely not crazy town left.

From what I've read, it sounds like no one really knows why Jack quit, maybe it was because he wasn't very good at his job, maybe it's because a bunch of "ultra leftists" (which is what anyone not right-wing is apparently) inside the company didn't like him anymore, maybe it's because he's more interested in grifting bitcoin. I don't claim to know, but I find it amusing you seem to know the inner workings of Twitter. What I do know is that my point still stands, and just because a few employees are centrists or leftists doesn't mean these places are leftist utopias. Not even close.

Feel free to drop by Arstechnia comments for a good ol' circlejerk though pretending 1000+ comments are all normal middle of the line, definitely not tech lefties. Elon Musk, Twitter's next owner, provides his definition of 'free speech'

LOL butthurt much? Also who cares what Elon says? You post this like he is incapable of lying or being deceitful. I can link to numerous articles or court cases where he got called out or is having legal woes for his lies.

Odd last point to bring up considering how much "Twitter is a private company, they can do what they want" everyone had to hear from the left for years. But then again, you are still arguing about things that aren't even being proposed....

I think this proves you don't understand anything I said, or don't want to.

Anyway if you post more crazy, I won't be around to respond, I have a life that isn't centered around misconstruing things so I can be angry at them.

Apr 29, 2022, 18:26
Re: Quoteworthy Apr 29, 2022, 18:26
Apr 29, 2022, 18:26

The saddest part of this entire thing is that it feels like Elon is buying Twitter for what should be illegal reasons. This "free speech" act is just a distraction. Elon loves to post "hot tips" on stocks and bitcoin forks to boost up the profits (remember when he was pump and dumping doge coin and the like?). So now instead of him being being banned on Twitter for propping up stock, he can just own it and do it as much as he pleases. Truly despicable. At least the SEC is looking at him currently, not that anyone has much hope anything will come out of it.

milspecmonkey wrote on Apr 29, 2022, 16:53:
'We're Very Concerned' - Tech Lefty gold. Somehow trying to make it about video games, the writer straight up admits they like Twitter because it is less effort than other platforms and then after regurgitating nonsensical talking points about being worried about "free speech" (aka rules being applied fairly) they appropriately get wrecked in the comments.

Spoiler alert: Leftists and Conservatives feel equally under-represented on these social media platforms (despite evidence pointing to right wingers getting the better deal). I find it amusing people like you love this label of "Leftist Tech" and so on despite little-to-none of these platforms or tech companies being owned or ran by leftists, and none of them implementing leftist ideals. Anyone who thinks removing calls for violence and constant unwarranted attacks from vile racists/other assholes is "removal of free speech" lives in a delusional world. I would love to see these same people decry "Free speech" in real world situations where real laws apply. Try yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater and tell the police Elon Musk said it was OK. Free speech doesn't mean "freedom from consequences".

One last point, "Free speech" doesn't co-exist with "Private company/platform", conservatives/centrists would understand that if they actually understood capitalism.
98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older