Descending
Limit Results:

70 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: OotB: Feed me!
Jun 26, 2022, 17:06
Re: OotB: Feed me! Jun 26, 2022, 17:06
Jun 26, 2022, 17:06

Thanks so much for the RSS Feed changes Blue! So far so good!

Re: OotB: Quaking in my boots
Jun 22, 2022, 22:22
Re: OotB: Quaking in my boots Jun 22, 2022, 22:22
Jun 22, 2022, 22:22

Happy Birthday Quake! I'm still glad we have our old Voodoo 2 my Dad got just for GLQuake. It's funny how at the time we thought the texture filtering (blurriness) was amazing because you didn't see the "pixels" anymore, but nowadays I can't play Quake unless I turn it off, heh.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Released
Jun 22, 2022, 22:07
Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Released Jun 22, 2022, 22:07
Jun 22, 2022, 22:07

This is great! They finally have addressed the bots and you no longer have to go on community servers, for now. I heard a rumor there might be more coming, but we'll see.

Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Tomorrow
Jun 22, 2022, 21:46
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Tomorrow Jun 22, 2022, 21:46
Jun 22, 2022, 21:46

I hope they paid the developers of ScummVM who did the actual work (for free) of getting this running. Same to the developers of the AI upscaler they very clearly used. They game is on GOG if you want the original at a good price.

I love Open Source, but the amount of companies that take advantage of that hard work is very disheartening.

Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster
Jun 5, 2022, 01:05
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 5, 2022, 01:05
Jun 5, 2022, 01:05

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 23:58:
Xylemon, I admire your "I don't get it", so succinctly put.

To quote my father, "As Popeye said, 'I yams what I yams.'"

Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Jun 4, 2022, 23:09

edaciousx wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 22:52:
Isn't the quake remaster significantly better than everything put out there by the public?

Well, I have to be honest that I'm automatically biased because I am involved/work with an open source Quake engine myself. That being said, there are engines that do just as much if not more, and the Quake remaster actually uses the communities QuakeC fork (FTEQCC), which is really awesome.

I guess when I think about it, I suppose it's the centralization/ease of distribution that is probably the most desirable aspect for players/the communities, I mean if an old game gets something like Steam Workshop, everyone still wins in someway right? The jaded part of me just wishes the remasters/re-releases were more open, Quake's was at least.

Rilcon wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 21:36:
I can't be the only one that would just open Unreal 1's SP maps in UT2K4 and play them fully that way :p

Haha yeah! And playing invasion with Unreal 1 monsters on UT2K4

Jun 4, 2022, 21:27
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 4, 2022, 21:27
Jun 4, 2022, 21:27

Laughing Man wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 12:50:
Please stop using social media as a way to bully a company into doing what you want. How about they do something like create their own game instead of remastering for cash grabs and slapping their name on it as a developer because they "helped."

I wouldn't have worded it this way, but I have to say I actually agree. This kind of business question in the public is really inappropriate and feels like an attempt to peer-pressure Epic Games. However, Nightdive should (or maybe they do) know that Epic has already been letting the community (OldUnreal) handle the code/engine for Unreal 1, so there already has been FREE community efforts/"remasters". OldUnreal runs fine on modern Windows and even has Linux ports, I would trust them over the mixed bag efforts Nightdive have had. Opening the code to System Shock 1 was the best thing ever did imho, their System Shock 1/Strife releases were good, but not much else and a lot of it uses their weird engine instead of the original game code. And don't give them too much credit for their Quake efforts, from what I understand Nightdive just did platform stuff, aka porting it to different systems, which isn't really that special.

I don't get it, why are so many people rushing to buy a proprietary soon-to-be-obsolete version of these games when we have free and/or open community efforts in games like Quake that will out live these "remasters"/re-releases?

Also some others pointed this out too, where is their System Shock game? The one that was Kickstarted over what, 5-6 years ago now? Shouldn't they be more focused on that?

Re: Quoteworthy
May 27, 2022, 04:30
Re: Quoteworthy May 27, 2022, 04:30
May 27, 2022, 04:30

I'm happy to see how positive the #savetf2 event was, and it's nice that Valve responded.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever E3 2001 Trailer: Atomic 4K Edition
May 22, 2022, 19:26
Re: Duke Nukem Forever E3 2001 Trailer: Atomic 4K Edition May 22, 2022, 19:26
May 22, 2022, 19:26

I was waiting for someone to do this since the leak happened, now that we have all the content and E3 maps. It's cool to finally see this classic in HD, though I was hoping they'd at least fix the security guy model and door since they are broken in this build sadly.

Still one of the greatest video game trailers ever created! Just a shame 3DR spent more time on this than the actual game at one point, though it's interesting to think this trailer alone influenced many games and developers.

Re: Rumor Mill
May 9, 2022, 16:33
Re: Rumor Mill May 9, 2022, 16:33
May 9, 2022, 16:33

A friend showed me this last night before bed and it of course kept me up. This leak is really insane because it appears to be the real deal.

For now they've only shown off pictures and video, but the leaker in question is claiming they will dump the full thing "soon". I hope it comes out, but regardless this was a treat to see, it does seem a bit more complete than previously thought which is fascinating.

Apr 29, 2022, 20:24
Re: Quoteworthy Apr 29, 2022, 20:24
Apr 29, 2022, 20:24

milspecmonkey wrote on Apr 29, 2022, 19:15:
It is a collective leftist REEEE fest about Twitter because they aren't even hiding how obviously it has been catered in their favor. Musk has already clarified he does not intend on free speech anarchy. People are tired of seeing ANTIFA get to openly plan violent events and general racism against white people is allowed, meanwhile the Babylon Bee get's banned for a trans joke.

Here is some actual studies and news articles, not just me typing nonsensical dribble:

Study #1

Study #2

Article #1

Article #2

There's also a lot more out there, if you are capable of ignoring your own agenda for reality.

To claim "little-to-none of these platforms or tech companies being owned or ran by leftists" is the real delusion especially when Jack Dorsey just got pushed out for basically being too moderate, in this case merely not crazy town left.

From what I've read, it sounds like no one really knows why Jack quit, maybe it was because he wasn't very good at his job, maybe it's because a bunch of "ultra leftists" (which is what anyone not right-wing is apparently) inside the company didn't like him anymore, maybe it's because he's more interested in grifting bitcoin. I don't claim to know, but I find it amusing you seem to know the inner workings of Twitter. What I do know is that my point still stands, and just because a few employees are centrists or leftists doesn't mean these places are leftist utopias. Not even close.

Feel free to drop by Arstechnia comments for a good ol' circlejerk though pretending 1000+ comments are all normal middle of the line, definitely not tech lefties. Elon Musk, Twitter's next owner, provides his definition of 'free speech'

LOL butthurt much? Also who cares what Elon says? You post this like he is incapable of lying or being deceitful. I can link to numerous articles or court cases where he got called out or is having legal woes for his lies.

Odd last point to bring up considering how much "Twitter is a private company, they can do what they want" everyone had to hear from the left for years. But then again, you are still arguing about things that aren't even being proposed....

I think this proves you don't understand anything I said, or don't want to.

Anyway if you post more crazy, I won't be around to respond, I have a life that isn't centered around misconstruing things so I can be angry at them.

Apr 29, 2022, 18:26
Re: Quoteworthy Apr 29, 2022, 18:26
Apr 29, 2022, 18:26

The saddest part of this entire thing is that it feels like Elon is buying Twitter for what should be illegal reasons. This "free speech" act is just a distraction. Elon loves to post "hot tips" on stocks and bitcoin forks to boost up the profits (remember when he was pump and dumping doge coin and the like?). So now instead of him being being banned on Twitter for propping up stock, he can just own it and do it as much as he pleases. Truly despicable. At least the SEC is looking at him currently, not that anyone has much hope anything will come out of it.

milspecmonkey wrote on Apr 29, 2022, 16:53:
'We're Very Concerned' - Tech Lefty gold. Somehow trying to make it about video games, the writer straight up admits they like Twitter because it is less effort than other platforms and then after regurgitating nonsensical talking points about being worried about "free speech" (aka rules being applied fairly) they appropriately get wrecked in the comments.

Spoiler alert: Leftists and Conservatives feel equally under-represented on these social media platforms (despite evidence pointing to right wingers getting the better deal). I find it amusing people like you love this label of "Leftist Tech" and so on despite little-to-none of these platforms or tech companies being owned or ran by leftists, and none of them implementing leftist ideals. Anyone who thinks removing calls for violence and constant unwarranted attacks from vile racists/other assholes is "removal of free speech" lives in a delusional world. I would love to see these same people decry "Free speech" in real world situations where real laws apply. Try yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater and tell the police Elon Musk said it was OK. Free speech doesn't mean "freedom from consequences".

One last point, "Free speech" doesn't co-exist with "Private company/platform", conservatives/centrists would understand that if they actually understood capitalism.

Re: Morning Previews
Apr 26, 2022, 17:55
Re: Morning Previews Apr 26, 2022, 17:55
Apr 26, 2022, 17:55

I too don't get who this VtM Battle Royale game is for or who thought it would be a good idea.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Apr 26, 2022, 17:30
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 26, 2022, 17:30
Apr 26, 2022, 17:30

Thank god for Mastodon and PeerTube, the solutions are and have been here.

Re: Quake Patched
Apr 21, 2022, 18:30
Re: Quake Patched Apr 21, 2022, 18:30
Apr 21, 2022, 18:30

I gotta give them a big thumbs up for releasing their game logic source code, was not expecting this:

https://github.com/id-Software/quake-rerelease-qc

And they even use and link to the FTEQCC compiler, FTEQW devs are proud

Re: Game Reviews
Apr 19, 2022, 16:50
Re: Game Reviews Apr 19, 2022, 16:50
Apr 19, 2022, 16:50

I can't say whether these reviews are all that fair, but everything I've seen from Postal 4 legitimately looks like a bad imitation of Postal 2, and that game has not aged well despite what my 15 year old self thought. However, if you're incapable of trying or enjoying anything new, Postal 4 might be up your alley.

Re: Rumor Mill
Apr 19, 2022, 16:25
Re: Rumor Mill Apr 19, 2022, 16:25
Apr 19, 2022, 16:25

I can not tell if the headline is clickbait, I'm misunderstanding, or if Bloomberg genuinely not know what any of these games actually are? I guess the title actually comes from an "unannounced" game that will be have community events and the like but it's unrelated to those Crazy Taxi and JSR reboots. Also didn't Sega just come out with Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis? Would that new game really be another PSO? Does the author even know these games or company?

Re: Morning Screenshots
Apr 7, 2022, 05:39
Re: Morning Screenshots Apr 7, 2022, 05:39
Apr 7, 2022, 05:39

Razumen wrote on Apr 6, 2022, 23:06:

Xylemon wrote on Apr 6, 2022, 17:28:
before it became just full-on Bethesda with an id Software logo on it. RIP old id...

What is this even supposed to mean? id didn't change overnight simply because they were bought.

I was lamenting on the reality that id Software is no longer an independent studio spearheaded with some core members pushing their latest tech/vision, hosting very personal QuakeCons, and releasing their source code. id Software lost a lot of people before the acquisition, but ultimately when Carmack left, it really felt like an end of an era.

I don't mean to bash the talented artists and programmers who work there currently, and I'm glad people enjoy the new games because it keeps interest in DOOM and Quake, but it's not the "real" id Software to me, it's a subsidiary of ZeniMax who's a subsidiary of Microsoft with completely different people making completely different games there. Things change, such is life...

Re: Morning Screenshots
Apr 6, 2022, 17:28
Re: Morning Screenshots Apr 6, 2022, 17:28
Apr 6, 2022, 17:28

Drazula wrote on Apr 6, 2022, 13:46:
So glad they ditched it for a real Doom game!
I truly don't understand why people say this, sure DOOM 2016 was "faster" and more "shooty" than DOOM 3, but it really didn't feel like a DOOM game to me. It honestly reminded me more of shooters like AVP 3 with those executions and smaller enemy counts. Which is why it kind of bugs me when people rip DOOM 3 so hard for "not being DOOM", I actually enjoyed that it was different and not some poor imitation of old.

Back to the screenshots, from what we've seen over the years, I personally don't feel like this DOOM game would've been great, but it's still interesting to see what they had in the works before it became just full-on Bethesda with an id Software logo on it. RIP old id...

Re: Op Ed
Mar 12, 2022, 18:26
Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2022, 18:26
Mar 12, 2022, 18:26

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 12, 2022, 06:32:
So Valve shoots out some hardware that seeks to make PC game publishers back track and dumb down their games to the typical console restrictions. I hope it dies the same death all other Steam hardware ventures have suffered.

Developers have always liked hardware targets, in fact back in the day John Carmack use to talk about how much he loved the original Xbox and PowerMac because they had a great card (GeForce 3) that provided a solid baseline that could do shaders. Plus hardware targets can force a developer to optimize their game. You would know this if you actually studied or knew anything about game development, but based on your previous comments, you instead seem to post the first hateful or ignorant thing that comes to your mind.
70 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older