Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for RedEye9

Real Name RedEye9   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname RedEye9
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
Homepage http://www.needtoimpeach.com/
Signed On Dec 21, 2014, 23:00
Total Comments 9951 (Guru)
User ID 58135

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Half-Life Within Five Years?
3. Re: Next Half-Life Within Five Years? Mar 18, 2019, 20:23 RedEye9

MeanJim wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 20:12:
So when you figure in Valve Time, that's a no for anyone over 40.
ninja'ed

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards
4. Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:21 RedEye9

Next thing ya know they'll bring GSync to freesync monitors.  

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
49. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 20:14 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 19:40:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 13:30:
EA sells games THEY publish on Origin, THEIR platform. That is not the same as third party publisher exclusives.

On the other hand, in a year these Epic exclusives will be on Steam and other platforms. EA games won't.
Why you gotta be like that.

smarts takeaway, snipped from the tldr;
"But even as you ponder paying Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, DCU, CBS et al monthly subs to watch exclusive content, so too gamers are busy raging about having to install another f*cking game launcher. Because, you know, priorities and all that.
There is absolutely NOTHING unique about the Steam v EGS fiasco because that's how competition works. And no matter how many times Tim Sweeney has to go on the record outlining *precisely* what their goal is, very few give a sh*t because of tribalism.
I mean it's like you running into a guy on the street who tells you he's going to punch you in face and steal your wallet. He said he's going to do it, and how. But you're more concerned about not having money for lunch.
That's basically where we are. All this other stuff about data going to Tencent, another app launcher, exclusives are bad for gaming etc - are all just noise; because sitting down and considering how good competition is for gaming, is too much work
."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 18, 2019, 19:51 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 14:15:
Sarcasm?
I was trying to find something more weirder than AOL, I should have stuck w/my original choices, compuserve or prodigy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Boeing 737 Max - 50 year old design remnants Mar 18, 2019, 19:13 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 18:49:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:24:
Oh great, after this article, all the armchair engineers will be out in force, posting everywhere that "OBVIOUSLY Boeing should have just done one simple thing and this never would have happened!" Not necessarily here of course, but I almost injured my neck, rolling my eyes so hard at the comments on the LAtimes page.

I don't even want to think about the kind of shit that's going to be said on cable news by non-engineers about the Max, Boeing, the FAA, etc. ugh.

Unfortunately, aircraft sometimes crash. Luckily, there is a pretty extensive system setup to investigate these crashes and find solutions for existing and future aircraft.

So I work in engineering and the biggest question I have is about HAZOP's (Hazard and Operability Assessment). It might be majorly different than oil and gas but I don't see how since we're doing billion dollar facilities here.

Anyways, the issue I have is how wasn't this talked about? I mean, something as simple of "Angle of Attack sensor is faulty, causing nose to pitch too low" is the hazard and then the protection layers you need to do this. First and foremost you must be able to have another layer of protection, which is typically a secondary angle of attack sensor. Then it would be the ability to override.. They obviously didn't look at this.

I think it's inexcusable to not have plain and simple overrides of this and put the control back into the pilots. Aviation is very complex engineering and I specialize in instrumentation for oil and gas so I'm not going to say I'm anywhere near an expert on the situation but it seems like an entire Layers of Protection Analysis was missing on this.
Boeing rushed this plane to market to save a buck in training and passed off the single sensor as being "okie dokie" because it was not an essential part that could bring down an aircraft.
Over 300 dead people later and it's beginning to look like that might not have been such a wise move.

Transportation Department Is Probing FAA’s Approval of Boeing’s 737 MAX DOT inspector general is examining potential failures in the agency’s safety-review process - wall street journal link or outline.com version https://outline.com/pBYSWt

snippets;
To win customers, and avoid more defections to Airbus, Boeing also made commitments that there would be minimal requirements for new pilot training, which can be costly to airlines, especially if expensive flight-simulator sessions are needed, according to people familiar with the matter. So Boeing tried to minimize differences from its existing fleet. Pilots were never specifically trained, for instance, on the MCAS system, according to people familiar with the matter.

During some of the discussions with the FAA, according to people familiar with the matter, Boeing’s team persuaded the agency that the system shouldn’t be considered so essential that its failure could result in a catastrophic accident. As a result, it would be acceptable for the system to rely on a single sensor.

Rick Ludtke, a former Boeing flight deck design engineer who worked on the MAX but wasn’t directly involved with the MCAS system, said managers applied significant pressure to keep costs low and timetables quick.
A former senior Boeing official recalled a “healthy urgency that comes from competition” in producing the MAX, but no “undue pressure on the design or the team.”

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 18:00 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 17:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 13:27:
Argh!
Ready for UPS
2080RTX?
he heh, I wish.

News Comments > Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans
48. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 17:05 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 16:26:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:25:
Timmeh wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:22:
There are actually a lot more legit players that get false flagged than you think.
Please provide multiple videos, sources and statistics proving players that don't cheat are getting banned in Anthem.

Is cheating a thing in Anthem? What would the point be?
awe fudgenugget, I meant Apex, no wonder he didn't reply

35. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 15:05 RedEye9

Paragon of Virtue wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 14:59:
I'm not in the loop, but HOW do these cheaters cheat?

Are they hacking the game? What's going on? How are they able to cheat in the first place? If it's a security issue, maybe Relic should lock down their code/servers better?

I'm genuinely curious. All these news bites about cheaters being banned, and not a lot of information on how/what the cheating entails. Someone clue an old man in! :-)
The cheaters cheat by purchasing cheating programs. From Blues quote "cheats cost anywhere from $60 to $150, depending on the program"

28. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 14:30 RedEye9

Spektr wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 14:25:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 14:21:
What part of HARDWARE ban do they not understand? They CANNOT change the hardware IDs at the software level. The only solution is to buy a new computer.

I would think buying a network card with a new MAC address would be enough
No need to be that drastic because it only takes maybe five minutes to circumvent. here's proof

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:33:
Off the top of my head, I think it would take me... five minutes, maybe, to change my hardware IDs so your ban would become irrelevant again.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 13:27 RedEye9

Argh! Originally scheduled for Friday, now Tuesday. whee
In Transit 03/18/2019 3:49 A.M. New Orleans, LA
Departure Scan
03/15/2019 9:41 A.M. MY TOWN, TX, Destination Scan
03/15/2019 5:32 A.M. MY TOWN, TX, Arrival Scan
03/15/2019 2:25 A.M. Odessa, TX, Departure Scan
03/15/2019 1:43 A.M. Odessa, TX, Arrival Scan
03/15/2019 1:27 A.M. Midland, TX, Departure Scan
03/15/2019 12:47 A.M. Midland, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 8:11 P.M. Fort Worth, TX, Departure Scan
03/14/2019 3:38 P.M. Fort Worth, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 3:01 P.M. Dallas, TX, Departure Scan
03/14/2019 6:36 A.M. Dallas, TX, Arrival Scan
03/14/2019 3:27 A.M. Oklahoma City, OK Departure Scan
03/13/2019 6:45 A.M. Oklahoma City, OK,Arrival Scan
03/13/2019 12:18 A.M. Kansas City, KS, Departure Scan
03/12/2019 5:17 P.M. Kansas City, KS, Arrival Scan
03/12/2019 9:53 A.M. Eagan, MN Departure Scan

Shipped 03/11/2019 10:09 P.M. Eagan, MN
Origin Scan
Label Created 03/11/2019 4:43 P.M. United States
Order Processed:
Ready for UPS

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2019, 12:47 RedEye9

ldonyo wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 12:27:
Apparently the white power base is a bit upset that they can't continue to indiscriminately spread their particular brand of vitriol with abandon on the larger social media platforms, so they've enlisted the Republicans to try and turn things around. I'm pretty sure that the government mandating speech is a violation of the First Amendment, just as the government prohibiting speech is.
Leave the constitution out of this! It's a Florida congressman trying to appease his grey haired constituents who thrive on a diet of infowars, hannity and rush "oxy addict" limbaugh.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 18, 2019, 12:41 RedEye9

Probably shouldn't store your shit on dead platforms, that's why I moved all my music, videos and photos to 2nd Life.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 12:34 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:36:
*ugh* Firefox broke something... when I use Firefox the site has a white background, but it appears normally when I use Chrome. *blah*

Just adding to the fray
Chrome on android went all-white background while viewing Bluesnews.
I opened firefox and it was normal.
Went back to chrome and cleared the last hour of history/cookies, blues was New Blue again.
If it happens again I'll try toggling Styles:.

What is this surreptitious hype you speak sneak of Blue? Grin

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 18, 2019, 12:26 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:52:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:31:
Only Google will be able to spy on you!
Hah, beat me to it!
triple ninja'ed

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
10. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 18, 2019, 12:16 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 10:02:
Sweeny is obviously mentally sick greedy AF if he considers exclusives pro-competition, or good for the consumer
Standard Euclidean Trigonometry https://www.britannica.com/topic/transitive-law
Corporations are People C=p
People are consumers p=c
Therefore C=c
Ipso Facto - If it is good for the Corporation it is good for the consumer. Wink

22. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 12:00 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:29:
Good for Apex Legends, but what the fuck, why are these cheaters so sociopathic? What the hell is wrong with the human race? Arrgh!

Because free games draw in the drek of society
Yet they were paying $50 to $100 or more for cheats. Losers have been cheating in paid games - it's anonymity that brings out the dreggs, not cost.

15. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 11:25 RedEye9

Timmeh wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 11:22:
There are actually a lot more legit players that get false flagged than you think.
Please provide multiple videos, sources and statistics proving players that don't cheat are getting banned in Anthem.

13. Re: Apex Legends Cheaters Hit With Permanent Hardware Bans Mar 18, 2019, 11:15 RedEye9

Awesome  

News Comments > Valve on Epic Games Store and Steam Data
39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2019, 11:10 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 01:21:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 18:44:
Titus wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 18:36:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 18:31:
Instead of a house with less security analogy, I'd use an illustration of putting the furniture on the lawn and then acting surprised that it's gone the next day.
Even if I did, it would still be theft if you took it. In America, I would even be in my right to shoot you if you tried.

You're not understanding the point of the illustration. The point is you (Valve) the homeowner (aka Steam) placed your furniture (the user's data) on the lawn (local hard drive), so don't be surprised if it's gone the next day (EGS accessing the information). Put away your weapon (it's not strictly speaking illegal, but it is immortal. Valve will need to take action to protect local-storage data).

The funny thing is that you are by accident correct, this is a file owned by Valve and Valve is the one who has copyright on it, the file falls under Steam TOS privacy and access rules too. So in essence it's not even relevant if Epic asks YOU, because it's not YOUR file to give access to, but rather Valves.

Just wanna point out this kind of 3rd party scraping is a huge legal grey-area and the moment you copy a file you don't own the copyright off you are a dirty dirty pirate. And yes, that's why I think Epic is backpaddling and PR controlling so hard on this.
Thanks for pointing that out and clarifying it.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2019, 21:32 RedEye9

Transportation Department Is Probing FAA’s Approval of Boeing’s 737 MAX DOT inspector general is examining potential failures in the agency’s safety-review process - wall street journal link

outline.com version https://outline.com/pBYSWt

To win customers, and avoid more defections to Airbus, Boeing also made commitments that there would be minimal requirements for new pilot training, which can be costly to airlines, especially if expensive flight-simulator sessions are needed, according to people familiar with the matter. So Boeing tried to minimize differences from its existing fleet. Pilots were never specifically trained, for instance, on the MCAS system, according to people familiar with the matter.

During some of the discussions with the FAA, according to people familiar with the matter, Boeing’s team persuaded the agency that the system shouldn’t be considered so essential that its failure could result in a catastrophic accident. As a result, it would be acceptable for the system to rely on a single sensor.

Rick Ludtke, a former Boeing flight deck design engineer who worked on the MAX but wasn’t directly involved with the MCAS system, said managers applied significant pressure to keep costs low and timetables quick.
A former senior Boeing official recalled a “healthy urgency that comes from competition” in producing the MAX, but no “undue pressure on the design or the team.”

9951 Comments. 498 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo