Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Nullity

Real Name Nullity   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nullity
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 6, 2014, 16:57
Total Comments 587 (Apprentice)
User ID 58038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Adding Online Support to Local Multiplayer Games
13. Re: Steam Adding Online Support to Local Multiplayer Games Oct 10, 2019, 15:06 Nullity

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 12:24:
Putting up a VPN is pretty simple these days. There are numerous articles on how to do so for beginners. Some routers, both mid and high end, already have VPN support built in right out of the box.

I am simply awed by this "innovation" from Valve.
Really? You of all people should understand that it's not *just* a VPN. Steam also has to provide some form of low-latency screen sharing and way to hook into the game's input (even if just relayed through the host machine).

Yes, there are tools available that one could probably set up a similar thing manually, but being all baked into Steam for easy use is a pretty awesome feature to have.

(EDIT: It's possible that a VPN wouldn't even be necessary. Depending on the tech they're using, Steam could handle it all directly, as long as it wouldn't introduce too much latency.)

Also, here is an apt GIF I just made for this news... https://i.imgur.com/T0ZNvKV.gif

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 System Requirements
40. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 System Requirements Oct 10, 2019, 13:40 Nullity

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:12:
Hellblade is a a work of art in some ways, and a bit of a camera fight in others. I enjoyed it, but it's extremely short and has almost no replayability.
I'd like to play Hellblade, but this is basically why I haven't yet. I knew it was short, has no/limited replayability, and given the fact that I already have a backlog that I can't see the end of anymore, it's never dropped to a price low enough that I felt it was worth buying.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:44 Nullity

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:39:
D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:19:
The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Oh cool, I must belong to the current generation, because I guarantee you I am addicted to convenience. I have been for, oh I don't know, about five decades? The whole the 'next generation' is bad or going to ruin everything is about as old as language. Things change, always have, always will.
Yep, and anyone trying to fight it is simply baffling to me. I find it wholly incomprehensible.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:22 Nullity

D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:19:
The tools have evolved to a point where laziness is encouraged and rewarded. The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Wow, what an abjectly ridiculous statement, and you're not the only one I've seen/heard repeat similar nonsense.

So because it used to take you more effort/time to accomplish a thing, that younger people are now inherently lazy because said thing is easier and/or less time consuming. And "addicted to convenience" in this context implies that anyone simply taking advantage of progress is somehow not willing to put in the work when necessary, which is a crazy train of fallacious broken logic.

On the contrary, rejecting convenience and stubbornly doing things the old/hard way is pure stupidity. There's nothing wrong with being efficient and making a task as quick and easy as possible. It doesn't make one lazy, but rather gives one more time to devote to other pursuits that may be more enjoyable or have more importance.

You sound like just another old man yelling at the clouds. Your ideas and mindset are a detriment to all of human progress.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 8, 2019, 12:51 Nullity

1badmf wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 00:40:
you guys really didn't like the first one? man i loved it, and the trailer SUUUUUUUCKED. unless the audience score is an absolute bomb i'm watching day1.
People around here hate everything. The first one was great. If the new one is similar, I'll be happy.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 7, 2019, 15:12 Nullity

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 15:10:
Watched the first season, been meaning to watch the rest just haven't gotten around to it...
It gets even better...

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 7, 2019, 14:06 Nullity

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 02:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2019, 15:43:
MattyC wrote on Oct 6, 2019, 15:36:
I kind of forgot HTC was even around. It seems like it has just been Samsung and Google on the higher end Android front for quite a while now.

Well, you may have heard of the HTC Vive.

Which uses technology developed by... VALVE ^^
If I remember correctly, HTC and Valve developed it jointly.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 7, 2019, 14:00 Nullity

Amazon's "The Expanse" S4 New Trailer.
Hot damn, that looks awesome, I can't wait. The Expanse is some of the best sci-fi, ever.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization - 5G Oct 4, 2019, 12:43 Nullity

5G will end up a niche product, though not due to whales, but just the simple nature of the technology. There's a constant bombardment of "OMG 5G IZ GOING TO BE AMAZEBALLS!!1!" articles and none of authors seemed to have done much research or understand the tech. They base everything on theoreticals which just won't work in the real world.

For examaple, 5G actually consists of different frequency bands. The lower of them (below 6GHz) will only provide a small incremental benefit over current 4G/LTE tech. Meanwhile, the higher frequency bands (above 24 GHz) are what everyone is losing their shit over.

The catch is, those high frequencies have short signal range, and require line-of-sight to work. Meaning, the 5G signal can literally be blocked with your hand by holding your phone a certain way, or if someone walks between you and the cell base station (which will have to be littered everywhere due to the aforementioned issues).

Think about that... since it can't pass through walls, it will never work indoors unless the specific room you are in has its own dedicated base station/repeater. Most people spend the majority of their time inside (buildings, cars, etc) and will rarely be able to use 5G, even if it's available in their area.

The utopia that these people keep running on about simply isn't possible with this 5G technology, save for specific locations and situations.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2019, 14:36 Nullity

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 14:24:
Nullity wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 12:56:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 13:07:
I have too much self-respect to lower myself to running Ubuntu.
As a power-user, you may not have any interest in Ubuntu, and you may even have some valid criticisms on how Canonical does some things, but in general, I would say this mindset is detrimental. Greater linux adoption benefits everyone, but it's not going to happen unless some distros cater to computer novices. (Though you didn't specify the reasoning for your opinion on Ubuntu, so I'm making some assumptions.)

In any case, one of the best benefits of the *nix world is that you are free to do things however you want, but elitist attitudes are only going to hinder the coming of the great Linux New World Order.
Search Burritos user for Ubuntu and you'll find some of his reasons. Example
Thanks for pointing me to that. Apologies then to Burrito for basing my comment on incorrect assumptions. Good on you for encouraging new linux users, and I agree that Ubuntu could definitely use some improvement. Unfortunately, it's probably the most widely known distro for novices.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2019, 12:56 Nullity

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 13:07:
I have too much self-respect to lower myself to running Ubuntu.
As a power-user, you may not have any interest in Ubuntu, and you may even have some valid criticisms on how Canonical does some things, but in general, I would say this mindset is detrimental. Greater linux adoption benefits everyone, but it's not going to happen unless some distros cater to computer novices. (Though you didn't specify the reasoning for your opinion on Ubuntu, so I'm making some assumptions.)

In any case, one of the best benefits of the *nix world is that you are free to do things however you want, but elitist attitudes are only going to hinder the coming of the great Linux New World Order.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 2, 2019, 13:31 Nullity

Samsung phones now connect to Android Auto wirelessly.
Android Auto is great, but unfortunately, there no factory units from any auto manufacturer that support the wireless feature yet. So far, it's only supported by a couple aftermarket units.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 1, 2019, 11:11 Nullity

You people are crazy. Stranger Things S1 was amazing, S2 took a hit but was still entertaining, and S3 was really good again.

I understand that media tastes are subjective, but I can't help but get a bit of a "I don't like it because it's popular" vibe.

That said, S4 is supposed to be changing things up a bit, and I think the Duffers said that S4 or 5 was planned to be the last.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 27, 2019, 14:32 Nullity

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 17:40:
Nullity wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 13:29:
Stop using Internet Explorer immediately; also, why are you still using Internet Explorer?
None of our applications require IE, but we have many clients who continue to use it and refuse to switch, so we have to keep supporting it. It's beyond frustrating. I never understood the aversion to change that afflict so many people, especially for something so small.

And on top of that, I'm the only programmer on my team who has any desire to continue learning new techniques and technologies, and my attempts at persuading management to start moving to a modern stack (npm, webpack, babelfish, es6, etc) have thus far fallen on deaf ears.
What's the current stack?
We don't really have one. We're still using jQuery + Bootstrap as the base for most of our projects. Our intranet that houses a large portion of our apps uses a custom-built template/plugin system that makes it a lot easier to roll out new applications, but it's basically a fancy wrapper over jQuery + Bootstrap.

Most projects outside of that are also still based on jQuery + Bootstrap + what ever other libraries may be applicable. We're not even using a package manager. It's like the dark ages around here.

Don't get me wrong, since we're limited to only ES5 and have to support IE, jQuery is still an essential tool if we don't want to triple (or more) our dev times. I just wish we could either drop IE support or use a transpiler so we could eliminate jQuery and start using all the nice ES6/2015+ features.

I see all you other devs over there merrily frolicking in magical front-end wonderland, but I can't come join you - I'm still chained to this medieval torture device.

News Comments > Fallback Next Month
1. Re: Fallback Next Month Sep 27, 2019, 13:23 Nullity

...offering a 2.5D rogue-like action/platformer...
Geez. Sorry guys, I'm going to have to drop out of the drinking game, otherwise I fear I'm going to get alcohol poisoning.

News Comments > Evening Multiplex
1. Re: Evening Multiplex Sep 27, 2019, 13:14 Nullity

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – “Cal’s Mission” Trailer
Really looking forward to this. Respawn did an excellent job with the Titanfall 2 campaign, and this game was started by them before being purchased by EA, so I'm hoping they didn't completely ruin it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 25, 2019, 13:29 Nullity

Stop using Internet Explorer immediately; also, why are you still using Internet Explorer?
None of our applications require IE, but we have many clients who continue to use it and refuse to switch, so we have to keep supporting it. It's beyond frustrating. I never understood the aversion to change that afflict so many people, especially for something so small.

And on top of that, I'm the only programmer on my team who has any desire to continue learning new techniques and technologies, and my attempts at persuading management to start moving to a modern stack (npm, webpack, babelfish, es6, etc) have thus far fallen on deaf ears.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 20, 2019, 13:39 Nullity

Comcast promised not to raise prices—guess what happened next.
God damn, there is a special place in hell for these lying, cheating, cockwomble dickbags.

Cutting the Comcrap cord was one of the best things I've ever done.

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Morning Previews Sep 19, 2019, 11:53 Nullity

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 11:51:
Vampires are not immortal.
WaltC wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 17:28:
Besides, there are several ways to decisively truncate the assumed immortality of Vampires, anyway, according to myth.
"Immortal" and "invincible" are not the same thing. Immortal doesn't necessarily mean incapable of dying, just that death would not come naturally without some external influence or cause.

In all mythology that I'm aware of, vampires are indeed immortal.

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta
19. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 14:28 Nullity

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:57:
Scrollbar Luddite here also, hella more efficient than the wheel.
Whaa? Are you sure "efficient" was the term you were looking for?

You may personally prefer the scrollbar, and that's perfectly fine, but using a scrollbar rather than the mouse wheel is objectively less efficient.

You have move the mouse and target the bar (which as already pointed out, isn't always quick and easy with how small they often are these days), then click and drag. Whereas you simply spin the scroll wheel - you don't even need to move the pointer most of the time, as long as it's within the scrollable element.

Usually, the only time I use the scroll bar is on rare occasions when I need fine control to scroll in smaller increments than what the mouse wheel is configured for.

587 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo