Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Nullity

Real Name Nullity   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nullity
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 6, 2014, 16:57
Total Comments 633 (Apprentice)
User ID 58038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get Jotun: Valhalla Edition for Free

6. Re: Get Jotun: Valhalla Edition for Free Dec 6, 2019, 13:24 Nullity

InTIMidator wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 11:19:
Please let me know if you ever find anything worth installing the Epic launcher for.
I'll get ahead of the fallacious straw-man EGS defender arguments and say that, personally, I don't care which launcher I use to play a game. However, I do care when companies employ shady and asshole-like practices, which is why I haven't been giving Epic any of my money.

That said, when it comes to the weekly free games Epic offers, I'm sure that the publishers aren't giving away copies for free. Presumably, Epic reimburses them for each free copy claimed, even if it's most likely at a discounted rate. Because of this, I've happily grabbed a copy of every one of the free games (save maybe a couple at the start), for the sole purpose of costing Epic money. I haven't even played any of them.

Though the free games can also be claimed through their website, so to address your statement directly, no, there's still no reason to install the Epic launcher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 5, 2019, 12:50 Nullity

UK parcel firm Yodel plugs tracking app's random yaps about where on map to snap up strangers' tat.
The Register gives me a headache.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 4, 2019, 13:16 Nullity

5G won’t change everything, or at least probably not your things.
I'm glad a publication is finally reporting the truth about 5G as it pertains to mobile devices.

News Comments > NVIDIA on Framerates in Competitive Gaming

10. Re: NVIDIA on Framerates in Competitive Gaming Dec 4, 2019, 12:55 Nullity

aka_STEVE wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 07:13:
YET, several years ago they started dropping support for SLI ?

If you are going to pretend to care about PC gaming then re-enable SLI, tri-sli ,etc ...on all your cards , not just the top tier versions...and make some kind of open source or easy to add in support for the Devs to get it easily working in their game production.

Not sure why it is so hard to understand that having more cards work in a PC together = you selling more product = you making more money !
As has already been pointed out, because it requires devs to add support into their games, and almost no one spent the time and money to do so due to the low number of SLI users.

That said, I will admit to zero experience with device driver programming, but I always wondered why Nvidia didn't handle all the SLI stuff in their drivers. For example, I imagine it working like a RAID setup where you plug in multiple video cards, but the drivers present the SLI configuration to the OS as a single video card. That way, devs no longer have to program for it, and the drivers automatically handle the offloading task to whatever number of cards installed.

Yeah, that's more work for Nvidia/AMD up front, but it would have the benefit of eliminating the developer middle-man and immediately opening up SLI/Crossfire support to every game, ever. And now being a totally ubiquitous feature, SLI adoption would most likely increase significantly, which equals greater GPU sales.

News Comments > Phoenix Point Tomorrow

11. Re: Phoenix Point Tomorrow Dec 3, 2019, 13:49 Nullity

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 11:53:
They must have exactly one programmer intern working on this store.
Fixed that for you.

News Comments > Valve Index Released in Canada and Japan

19. Re: Valve Index Released in Canada and Japan Nov 25, 2019, 13:23 Nullity

Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 14:11:
Look at this beaut! I was thinking of buying the Index. Instead, I may end up going that route and foregoing VR.
I have this monitor, and it's amazing. Yes, it's expensive, but I would argue that you'd get much more use/value out of it than a similarly priced VR kit. And contrary to the common argument, 27" is *not* too small for a 4k monitor, unless perhaps you have horrible eyesight.

I would love to get an Index at some point, but IMO, VR just isn't worth that kind of expense yet. Yes, I know there are cheaper VR kits, but tech-wise, the Index just stomps on the rest, and I have no interest in them.

News Comments > On Diablo IV Leveling

38. Re: On Diablo IV Leveling Nov 21, 2019, 14:35 Nullity

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:10:
"I want my choices to mean something!"
Well, how do you determine which choice to make?
"I spend hours on the internet, researching which skills are most useful and which will make me most powerful, then I decide to pick those!"

In other words, "I want other people's choices, which have been validated via crowdsourcing trial and error, to mean something!"

No one playing a game where you skills can't be changed makes those decisions on their own, because no game gives you the right information, and your play style likely changes over time, anyway.
Yep. And then after hours of research and finally deciding on someone else's perfect build, a patch gets released with balance changes and now your painstakingly researched character is shit and you have to start over again anyway.

Eff that.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale Today?

4. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Today? Nov 21, 2019, 14:04 Nullity

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 12:04:
I wonder who steam uses for DDoS protection (cloudflare?) because you know every incel script kiddie whoever lost a game of Barbie Dressup wants to hax0rs the steam.
They won't need to. Steam gets naturally DDoS'd during every sale just from normal traffic, because they seemingly refuse to temporarily increase capacity/bandwidth. I can't remember the last Steam sale that didn't completely bring the site down for a period of time.

News Comments > On Diablo IV Leveling

36. Re: On Diablo IV Leveling Nov 21, 2019, 13:37 Nullity

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 14:07:
VaranDragon wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:45:
Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 11:51:
Unpopular Opinion: I don't care about leveling, but I do want a way to redo my skill tree for no real cost, as many times as I'd like.

This was a major issue with D3. What you want is a Diablo which caters for the absolutely casual player. Which D3 absolutely is.

I want my skill choices to mean something. I want a sense of acomplishment.

Couldn't you just... not use it?
Whereas, for me, I'd have to restart the entire game if I wanted to see a different skill. That doesn't sound fun.
This exactly. If you want your skill selection to be permanent, then just don't click the "respec" button - simple. But for many of us, being unable to play around with various skills and builds without having to replay the whole game countless times just isn't fun. I don't have the time to do that, nor would I want to if I did. That would ruin the game for me.

I see this kind of thing in many games though. Some "hardcore" (for lack of a better word) fan or player thinks some aspect of user choice should be removed to reflect their personal play style. But the fact that there is a choice already allows them to play that way - they just seem to think everyone else should be forced to do so as well, for some reason. It's weird and irrational. Stop it, just don't use that feature.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 13:44 Nullity

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:38:
Nullity wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:12:
Watchmen creator Alan Moore: Modern superhero culture is embarrassing.
Alan Moore is embarrassing.

No, he is right. Get out of your basement.
These old men yelling at the clouds need to stop trying to gate-keep everything to line up with their opinions (also referencing that Scorsese nonsense). Let people have a good time and watch what they enjoy, FFS.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 13:12 Nullity

Watchmen creator Alan Moore: Modern superhero culture is embarrassing.
Alan Moore is embarrassing.

News Comments > GTA6 Speculation

3. Re: GTA6 Speculation Nov 19, 2019, 12:25 Nullity

TheBigVlad wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 15:04:
Actually it makes perfect sense that they would release a new GTA shortly before the next generation of consoles is released, so they can double dip on sales the same way they did with the release of GTAV, which came out on the PS3 a few months before the PS4 launch. It's annoying but it's a good move business-wise.
Triple-dip, when you also consider the abysmal handling of their PC ports. Shady bastards.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 13:36 Nullity

Greedo Gets the Last Word in Controversial New Star Wars Edit.
One final "fuck you" from Lucas.

After the Fox purchase, Disney now has all the rights to every Star Wars movie. It'd be nice if they finally released an original cut of ANH, they'd make a killing.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 13:24 Nullity

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 12:41:
In a Chaotic World, Dungeons & Dragons Is Resurgent.
I'm neutral on the chaos.

See what I did there?
*claps*

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 13, 2019, 13:04 Nullity

Assuming the Ampere release date rumors are true, that's disappointing.

I already have a nice pile of money set aside for an upgrade/rebuild (AMD CPU/mobo/RAM), and a shiny new 3080ti will be the centerpiece. However, I was hoping Ampere would be out before Cyberpunk 2077. I can't remember the last time I was so looking forward to a game, and I have a feeling it's going to crush my 1080ti/i7-6700k (and I really want to run it in 4k).

Although, there were also rumors of CP2077 being delayed as well, so that may actually work out in my favor. If so, the Zen 3 CPUs might even be out by then, *crosses fingers*.

If CP2077 is released on time, I don't think I'll have to willpower to wait for Ampere to play it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

15. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 12, 2019, 14:32 Nullity

Acleacius wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 22:00:
Sit down, stfu?
You do know who that is, right? One does not simply tell John Carmack to sit down and stfu.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 12, 2019, 14:27 Nullity

The 16-inch MacBook Pro reportedly still in production with release date unknown.
The delay is due to Apple trying to come up with a marketing plan to convince as many people as possible to take out a second mortgage on their house in order to afford one.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 12, 2019, 14:00 Nullity

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 10, 2019, 01:28:
Can I get a bit of education on electron apps. From a quick google it seems like it's more or less a app that opens a webpage ( a wrapper of sorts). Is that a fair guesstimate?

From a security standpoint wouldn't it be better to have an app that is "secure" then just opening a webpage?
Basically, it takes an entire webpage (with all requisite files/images/fonts/etc) and bundles it into an executable for the desired platform(s), along with chromium to display the webpage on the front-end and node.js for the backend.

It's an invaluable tool that lets you write an application once, and deploy it to any platform with little to no changes. The same base code can be used as a regular webpage, or as a executable in Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/etc.

It does have a few negatives, such as not being quite as performant as a native application, and having a larger package size due to bundling Chromium and Node, but IMO, those are minimal and heavily outweighed by the positives.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2019, 08:35.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding

4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Nov 8, 2019, 12:48 Nullity

I don't even play table-top games, but damn, I almost want to buy a set just to display.  

News Comments > Game Reviews

3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 8, 2019, 08:34 Nullity

Quinn wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 04:54:
I don't even have to read that article to disagree with its conclusion. I'm running a GTX1070Ti and it runs at a stable 60 fps with most on ultra, some on high, some on medium, nothing on low. Considering the visuals, that's not a bad port. Can it be better? I'm sure it can.
To be fair, they list a bunch of reasons why they call it a bad console port, not just the low performance, and it's basically the same list for every Rockstar game.

633 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >