Total Posts
203 (Novice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

203 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 22, 2014, 12:32
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2014, 12:32
Jul 22, 2014, 12:32

It's not that VR isn't going to happen now. Quite the opposite. It's going to happen in the most worst possible way imaginable. I'd rather it didn't happen at all than have VR created by facebook.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Jul 22, 2014, 12:30
Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 22, 2014, 12:30
Jul 22, 2014, 12:30

Have you ever seen any gamers even talk about it? That's your answer.

Re: Firefall This Month
Jul 8, 2014, 12:26
Re: Firefall This Month Jul 8, 2014, 12:26
Jul 8, 2014, 12:26

What? Didn't this close down at least twice? And last I heard they removed the PvP part of the game, which is literally the only "content" the game had. How did they sprout MMO-amount of PvE content in the last 6 months?

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 8, 2014, 10:17
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 10:17
Jul 8, 2014, 10:17

This is the biggest collection of click-bait titled articles I have ever seen on Blues

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 8, 2014, 10:11
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2014, 10:11
Jul 8, 2014, 10:11

At least it's not Paula Bean!

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 4, 2014, 11:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2014, 11:01
Jul 4, 2014, 11:01

Windowless cockpits and holographic projections is all well and good, but why those star trek style desks?

Also, aren't you supposed to present a working prototype of something in order to get a patent?

Re: Independent Interviews
Jul 4, 2014, 10:55
Re: Independent Interviews Jul 4, 2014, 10:55
Jul 4, 2014, 10:55

I'm really interested to know what he does for a living. Does anyone know? Surely his family does not survive on the pittance that he makes from the few paid games that he releases? For example when he made passage, that game was completely free.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Z
Jul 4, 2014, 10:35
Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 10:35
Jul 4, 2014, 10:35

I don't ever remember it having multiplayer. But then again back in those days I didn't have internet heh.

Anyway, who cares that the "only" thing they did here is make it support widescreen? You're missing the big picture. You can actually play this game now, on modern PCs! All these years before, unless you had a copy of the original and had windows 95 somewhere, there was no chance to play this.

Re: Z Remake Tomorrow
Jul 3, 2014, 11:33
Re: Z Remake Tomorrow Jul 3, 2014, 11:33
Jul 3, 2014, 11:33

Yeah, those screenshots look very decent indeed. I was worried that xXBatmanXx might have been correct and it was just a shoddy port of the mobile version.

Re: Z Remake Tomorrow
Jul 3, 2014, 09:35
Re: Z Remake Tomorrow Jul 3, 2014, 09:35
Jul 3, 2014, 09:35

F*** YES!
But where did this even come from? First time I'm hearing of this remake and it's already out tomorrow!

Re: Free Plants vs. Zombies
May 9, 2014, 14:11
Re: Free Plants vs. Zombies May 9, 2014, 14:11
May 9, 2014, 14:11

Wonder how many people actually install Origin for all these free titles EA gives out.
I would imagine PvsZ would be a pretty big lure for some people, but wouldn't those people all have already played it before?

Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
Apr 21, 2014, 14:04
Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 21, 2014, 14:04
Apr 21, 2014, 14:04

wtf_man wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 09:22:

What I don't get is how they can afford to have so many accounts banned. Even with the client already downloaded... you have to buy the game to even logon. You have to provide a CC number that is checked for funds, so it has to be valid... or a time card code which had to be purchased.

Gold spammers do not use their own credit cards to create accounts. Accounts are created for them using stolen credit cards. Of course, these stolen credit cards are purchased on the black market first (or if they are part of some big network, given for free), but it still is pennies compared to the real cost of purchasing a real account.

Invariably, most of the owners of the stolen cards report their cards as stolen and contest the purchases, at which point the credit card company (VISA/Mastercard) reverses the charge. This means the owner of the card gets their money back, and the company that created the charge (in this case TSO) gets a charge back for the same amount plus whatever fees the credit card company might apply.

99.9% of the time, the companies pay up the chargeback without a fuss. Contesting a charge is expensive (it's almost always costs more to fight the charge than to pay it), and risks souring business relations, or outright losing business with the credit card company. And there is no company in the world that can afford to lose their business with a credit card company like Visa or Mastercard.

So you can see how baseless conspiracy accusations sound such as "They are not doing anything about the bots/spammers because they make money from them". They in fact lose money any time a bot/spammer registers an account with a stolen credit card.

As for the comment that the spammers have figured out a way to generate authentic CD-Keys for the game, that is highly unlikely. Back in the old days, single-player games would ship with CD-Keys generated with a very basic algorithm whose "key" could sometimes be easily cracked through brute force. Thus the proliferation of "CD-KEY Gens" for cracked games.
Nowdays, the creation of cd-keys is a much more secure process. Most cracked games today do not generate fake cd-keys, but instead disable the cd-key authentication system of the game (or replace it with their own).

For a high-profile online MMO such as TSO, it goes without saying that a much more secure method of authentication exists in place, using secure methods to create a cryptographic "key" that is used to verify accounts. Provided that no loopholes or exploits are found and abused, brute forcing such a key would be practically impossible. Even if by luck or devious machinations a hacker were to obtain the correct "key", TSO can simply generate a new one (fix any exploits abused), and use that for the creation of new accounts. You could even generate a new key on a regular basis, making this approach of attack practically impossible.

Anyway, you should remember that all games (and not just games) suffer from spam. Even World of Warcraft, at some point, was swamped with gold spammers to the point that there, too, were user-created add-ons to filter out gold spam. I do not remember how or if Blizzard solved the problem (I must have stopped playing or disabled world chat - not like it was good for anything anyway).

But to really solve the problem of gold spammers and bots, it takes you - the player - to help. Simply do not buy gold or powerleveled accounts. If there is no market, the spammers will move on. Do not let your friends do the same. Do not let your guildies do the same. That 50-year old guy that sounds like Sgt. Pepper on vent? The one who logs in for a few hours on the weekends only, yet manages to be top level with exotic items? Call him out on it.
It's understandable why they do it. They have the excess money, but not the time. They enjoy playing as high level with exotic items a few hours a week, but not necessarily the process of getting to that point, so they spend a bit of cash for somebody to do it for them (at which point their credit card details are stolen and sold / used to create more spammer accounts).

Some games work around that problem by legitimately offering players a way to purchase in-game currency. Games like Eve, for example, even manage to do so without borking up the player-driven economy.
Of course gold spammers still exist even in these environments, by offering the gold for cheaper than the game, so it really still comes back down to the players - don't buy the gold. If you want to buy gold and the game gives you a means to do so, use the legitimate channels instead of paying the spammers.

It affects everybody. It affects the game company, which means that is comes back to affect you when they don't have as much budget to spend on awesome new game updates.

Re: etc., etc.
Feb 11, 2014, 08:40
Re: etc., etc. Feb 11, 2014, 08:40
Feb 11, 2014, 08:40

Wait, what? Did that guy just try to insult and belittle real gamers for playing real games? When did the tables flip so?

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Strike Vector
Jan 28, 2014, 15:01
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Strike Vector Jan 28, 2014, 15:01
Jan 28, 2014, 15:01

Been looking forward to this ever since I saw some footage last year, but with a price tag of $25 and no demo, I'm not sure that I'll be buying this.
Why is there no demo?

Re: Loadout This Month
Jan 17, 2014, 08:34
Re: Loadout This Month Jan 17, 2014, 08:34
Jan 17, 2014, 08:34

This looks nothing at all like TF2. Nope. Not at all.

Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns
Jan 8, 2014, 13:23
Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns Jan 8, 2014, 13:23
Jan 8, 2014, 13:23

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:12:
garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:44:
I still don't get it - what are they protecting themselves against? Whatever it is, there are probably other ways to protect yourself against it.

It's also very silly what they are doing. No other competitions like these need to do this. Why? Because the organizers are not game publishers. So why doesn't EA just make a separate company that has no publishing capability to run these events?

Regardless of how evil you think EA is, anyone has to do this. Everyone has to do this. Valve, Bethesda, whichever dev you think is benevolent would have to do this. For the same reason any contest in any creative field will have this (look into movie script submissions, or writing contests.)

Why? Because if someone makes a game where you shoot nazi aliens, and EA releases a game at some point in the future with nazi aliens, there will be a lawsuit as the guy claims EA ripped him off. It doesn't matter if EA had the game in development, or if the devteam never saw it, there will be a lawsuit.

This is to prevent that. Now, do you think EA will use it as an excuse to steal? Whatever. Just know that whatever entity you don't think would do this would do the same rules. Again, any kind of creative contest has these rules. And this is why movie studios always say they won't accept unsolicited scripts and usually mail unsolicited scripts back to people unopened - the last thing they need is someone to send them a script where Batman saves the world from the Joker, then they make a movie where Batman saves the world from the Joker and they're immediately sued.

This is retarded. How is anyone that's entering this competition going to sue EA? With what money? How could they possibly hope to win the case unless EA really DID rip them off?

Like I said, if this is what they are tryng to protect themselves against, there are other ways to do so. In particular, they already have a defense against that - a very expensive legal team.

Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns
Jan 8, 2014, 12:44
Re: EA's Code Wars Hackathon Returns Jan 8, 2014, 12:44
Jan 8, 2014, 12:44

I still don't get it - what are they protecting themselves against? Whatever it is, there are probably other ways to protect yourself against it.

It's also very silly what they are doing. No other competitions like these need to do this. Why? Because the organizers are not game publishers. So why doesn't EA just make a separate company that has no publishing capability to run these events?

Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
Jan 8, 2014, 12:38
Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 12:38
Jan 8, 2014, 12:38

Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?

Re: Morning Consolidation
Dec 19, 2013, 10:06
Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 19, 2013, 10:06
Dec 19, 2013, 10:06

I just don't get it. Why do these people torture themselves trying to rlease their indie games on consoles?

Re: Morning Mobilization
Dec 12, 2013, 16:32
Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 12, 2013, 16:32
Dec 12, 2013, 16:32

Necrophob wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 15:47:

Does that count if a bank accidentally credits your account and you then withdraw it? Aren't you obligated to return the funds?

Currency is not merchandise.
203 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 10.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older