Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for opie

Real Name opie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 22, 2012, 22:56
Total Comments 76 (Suspect)
User ID 57651

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Virgin Atlantic Flight Reaches 801 MPH as Furious Jet Stream Propels Faster Than Sound Barrier. Feb 21, 2019, 03:53 opie

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 19:43:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 18:48:
So yeah, the aircraft is not breaking the sound barrier (aerodynamically that would be impossible for a passenger jet)

Not impossible (at least not for all of them), but not very advisable. Passenger jets aren't designed to deal with the stresses on the hull for sustained supersonic flight. But they can (some of them anyway) break the sound barrier if they were pushed full out. The 747 was fairly famous for being tested at mach 0.99.

It took me a while to figure out how it could be going faster than the speed of sound while it didn't break the sound barrier, but breaking the sound barrier is relative (thanks Albert!) to the medium that you are traveling in (it also varies based on altitude, barometer density, etc.) Against the medium it was traveling in, the plane was going 600mph. That medium itself just happened to be traveling at 200mph relative to the ground. (Which is an INSANE amount of wind. I mean, that's a fucking Cat 5+ hurricane, or an EF5 tornado up there!)

speed of sound has nothing to do with ground speed. only airspeed. to which, this plane did not pass mach 1.0 (which varies in actual speed a lot based on pressure and whatnot). so this whole idea is nonsense. it went fast across the ground. quite many do. the end.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue - Virgin Atlantic Flight Reaches 801 MPH as Furious Jet Stream Propels Faster Th Feb 20, 2019, 14:07 opie

Re: Virgin Atlantic Flight Reaches 801 MPH as Furious Jet Stream Propels Faster Than Sound Barrier

someone has no idea how this works. PM has gotten SO bad in the last 10 years.

it never broke any "sound barrier". it's ground speed exceed the speed of sound, but that doesn't matter and happens all the time.

Also, the article has a different headline, likely do to PM changing it because they are stupid.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2019, 15:11 opie

ever thought about carrying a bright orange spray paint can to mark potholes for other drivers? this should be a thing.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2019, 22:24 opie

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 24, 2019, 21:33:
*meh* Rocky only really went bad staring with IV, II and III were fine.

1-4 were good! USA vs USSR was what was wanted at the time. and creed's death! omg! 5+ are awful.

8. Re: Out of the Blue - bike to work Jan 7, 2019, 01:20 opie

maybe cause cyclist deaths have been rising since at least 2010, despite the huge increase of bike lanes. only have totals, not rates.

News Comments > Game Developers Union Gaining Momentum?
6. Re: Game Developers Union Gaining Momentum? Dec 28, 2018, 02:16 opie

FWIW:

Overhead in an Uber:

2 managers needed a programmer for a project. they said they found one in San Fran that wanted $300/hr. a short time later found a guy in India who would do same job for $15/hr. they said they are hiring the guy in India (under the table paying) for $30/hr, and only using the SFO guy for consulting to check India's work.

Moral: it is the internet. it will be outsourced for 10% of the cost. careful.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Free Premium Pass
11. Re: Battlefield 1 Free Premium Pass Sep 12, 2018, 04:27 opie

not even for free.....  

9. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2018, 05:08 opie

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 04:36:
opie wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 21:15:
Just do what they did with the USS Oriskany. remove all toxic items, which they have to do anyway, and sink it into an artificial reef. cost cut, fish get home, divers get a cool site to see.

Better yet, remove all toxic items (esp those reactors) and use it for a SinkEx. We don't have real-world data on how a modern super carrier would handle various modern AShMs, GPS guided rockets, cruise missiles, and torpedoes. This could be a unique opportunity.

I am for this too. but "modern" is a loose term on a 60 year old ship.

8. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2018, 05:07 opie

1badmf wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 03:53:
opie wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 21:15:
Just do what they did with the USS Oriskany. remove all toxic items, which they have to do anyway, and sink it into an artificial reef. cost cut, fish get home, divers get a cool site to see.

the fact it was nuclear powered i think makes that way more complex technically, and probably legally too.

no matter what they do, they have to remove all that stuff.

4. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2018, 21:15 opie

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 22:28 opie

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:32:
And we can always thank the 2nd Amendment, nearly half of all suicides were caused by firearms.

other half being mostly pills huh? yeah, those are hard to get.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 22:26 opie

I'd love to see a graph relating the rise in suicides with the decline of the use of organized religion. ie. Is people leaving the church inversely related to people committing suicide (due to the lost of fear of the negative effects in the afterlife if you commit suicide).

IMO, there are only two reasons not to do it: the effect on others that love you. the effect it has on your afterlife. take one away, I'd bet it causes suicides to rise.

Not that this would be the only reason for the increase, I mean there are huge social issues, a war for almost 20 years, and 1999 was a damned good time in this country (unlike 2008-2009).

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 13:16 opie

"My right forearm is sore"

"I do an awful lot of mouse clicking"

is that what the kids are calling it these days.....

"accidentally getting it ... on my junk"

sure... but what about on purpose?

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 23:26 opie

RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2018, 22:37:
Bundy wrote on May 1, 2018, 22:21:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 1, 2018, 20:09:
Bundy wrote on May 1, 2018, 19:58:
That's why I plan to die suddenly and in a massive heart attack. Poutine FTW!
The problem with this plan is when you survive and end up with bad health, extreme debt, or both...

Oh I won't survive. I'm not making 70, so I don't care about debt either
How can you be so sure? What do you have in place to euthanize your ass should you have a massive stroke that turns you into a zombie wearing a diaper, living till the ripe old age of 90 in a low rent nursing home.

Second amendment...... ultimate backup plan... for everything.

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 14:14 opie

RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2018, 14:02:
Thanks GOP for denying Americans access to assisted suicide and affordable health care. Vote Democrat, it's easier than you think.

Democrat: We need access to assisted suicide!

Also Democrat: too many people are committing suicide with guns!

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 14:11 opie

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 1, 2018, 10:58:
Two spaces after a period? That's heresy!

I mean who uses periods? NOT ME!

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
11. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 02:56 opie

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battletech

20% off here. be warned, there are some issues with this site. it is in the UK, and your CC may call fraud on it. if it does, you have to wait for the site to push your purchase through manually. can take days.

News Comments > April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup
25. Re: April Fool's 2018 Comedy Gold Roundup Apr 2, 2018, 02:29 opie

In case you didn't love him before...

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/980566101124722688
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/980566103356194816
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/980566116614291456

extra funny because a lot of people are saying Tesla is about a week of funds away from bankrupt status.

also, there were hints that "Teslaquilla" will be a real thing.

News Comments > Overwatch Tease
5. Re: Overwatch Tease Mar 30, 2018, 05:06 opie

kibbled wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 23:52:
I'm think they are bringing back the Kings Road PVE map from last year.

That is what I am thinking, but I hope not.

News Comments > Surviving Mars Begins
5. Re: Surviving Mars Begins Mar 15, 2018, 17:40 opie

$36 for game (on sale 10% on steam), $35 for season pass (ugh, DLC incoming). I will wait till summer sale when game is 50% off and 1st DLC is out.  

76 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo