Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Baristan

Real Name Baristan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 15:30
Total Comments 84 (Suspect)
User ID 57641

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 23:07 Baristan

My old AMD 4890 would cause system resets. Worked fine for a few months, and then started rebooting my system while playing games. It started with intensive games, but soon would reset in most games. Checked the temps and voltage in software and they were always ok. Used an IR thermometer and found a chip not covered by a heat sink sitting next to the video out, was overheating. Under clocking the card by 10% or forcing the fans to run at 85% or more solved the problem until it could be replaced.

If your problem is similar make sure to were ear protection. AMD fans can be deafening.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 10, 2016, 09:34 Baristan

The Ad Wars will soon result in sites using XMLHttpRequest to load the content. Blockers will adapt. Soon advertisers will use random page layouts with layered semitransparent divs to construct a page. Will become difficult for blockers to bypass... for a while. Heuristic will be used, then server request timings to detect them. Eventually blockers will realize it's easier to just take screenshots of the page and black out all of the ads. In the end it will be AI vs AI until the inevitable revolution.

Just another arms race.

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
51. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 9, 2016, 13:03 Baristan

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:40:
Also... ick. From said article: And, in very bad news, NMS has already proven itself a major content recycler. Every planet I go to has the same "settlement" and "mural" structures, right down to the north-south-east-west positioning of iron-built buildings in a mountain's pit. The dynamic content generators have their limits, and it didn't take me long to find them.

I watched a few hours of streams and saw the same handful of buildings over and over and over again. They are everywhere. It's like searching for a Starbucks in Seattle. You'll find one on every corner and they all look the same.

News Comments > No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill
50. Re: No Man's Sky is Very Very Chill Aug 9, 2016, 12:46 Baristan

TheVocalMinority wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 00:16:
I don't really want to jump on the hater bandwagon as I think this looks like a really interesting game, however the lack of PVP just screams "you have to play the game on our servers because you are all dirty pirates who will play for free if we let you have the full game". This is not really the sort of game I think should be on GOG.

Except you don't have to connect to the servers at all to play. Hello games said the GOG version will be DRM free and playable offline. All you will miss out on by not connecting to their servers is sharing discoveries with other people.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 3, 2016, 22:05 Baristan

Another new SSL flaw is even more scary.

This web page is a proof of concept that can detect if you are logged on to several different sites, and "Determine your political preference based on Twitter followers"

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2016, 23:19 Baristan

Just tried WSUS Offline on my broken win7 install. Some updates failed but it did install 50+ successfully. Now windows update doesn't crash while searching for new updates. Guess FOSS is better than all of Microsoft's repair tools.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 31, 2016, 03:36 Baristan

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 20:54:
Jesus some of you have an axe to grind here. If setting zany QOS rules to prevent something that takes 3 clicks to disable, if it's not working for your computer/network, is "making the right decision", I'll gladly keep making the "wrong" ones over here.

I don't like Windows 10 or Microsoft's BS as much as the next person, but a good deal of what I've been hearing from people about Windows 10 crosses the line between actual issues into clueless griping.

The problem wasn't fixed by enabling p2p updates(it was disabled). I tried that. If there is another three click solution(or more) I'd like to know what it is.

We had 10+ computers on the network and the internet wasn't working for anyone. I tried to diagnose why. The router log showed thousands of connections coming from the only win10 computer on the network. All going to windows update servers. I've never seen that many connections before. Unplugging the cable to the win10 box temporally fixed the problem. Our modem can only handle 4032 sessions. Normally we have less than 500 sessions, but win10 opened as many as it could. Editing the registry to limit the max connections did nothing(used to work with win8). Neither did turning on/off p2p updates. Tried win10 on a second computer with a fresh install, also tried an insider preview copy. Nothing stopped the flood of sessions. Gave up trying to fix the problem with windows 10 and instead created a QoS rule on a router.

What should I have done? I'm not a pro network admin, but don't think I'm guilty of clueless griping(this time). Just dyslexia, and being stuck with dsl.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2016, 17:54 Baristan

runnerct32 wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 12:00:
My wife's Windows 7 laptop will not update. Im gonna try these fixes, thanks guys.

Good luck. I'm 50-50 with fixing broken windows 7 update. Often only a reinstall fixes it.

Never had a problem with Win7 until the push to Win10 started. The April 2016 spyware update crashed one computers win-update, and I've been having problems with win-update on vista-10 installs ever since.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2016, 17:16 Baristan

The last Windows 10 user on my network finally gave up last week and reinstalled Windows 8.

Over a dozen computers on the network and not a single Win10 POS left. No more will they DOSS the network every time a new patch comes out. When window update couldn't connect to a server it started requesting connections as fast as it could without waiting for a response. End result: active connection overload, no one could access the internet. Good riddance Microsoft. I no longer have to config custom QOS rules to keep you from DOSSing my network.

News Comments > Screeps Early Access
5. Re: Screeps Early Access Jun 21, 2016, 02:15 Baristan

The registration free demo is interesting.
Would buy it, but $9 a month is too much for me to spend on a game like this.
Will wait to see how the single player turns out before purchase.

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
23. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 31, 2016, 00:40 Baristan

Your motherboard might have a pcie2.0 not a 3.0 slot. The 1070 should be backwards compatible with a pcie2 slot. It would be a little slower on loading textures into memory but fps would be nearly the same.

Here is an article about pcie2 vs pcie3 performance

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2016, 16:30 Baristan

Purchased a Logitech MX518 mouse back in 2005. The scroll wheel needs to be cleaned every few months now, the rubber coating wore off, and a skid pad fell off, but otherwise after 10+ years of gaming it's still works as well as it did when it was new. Logitech and Microsoft mice have always lasted many years for me.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 10:49 Baristan

Watch out using glasses with the rift.

My dk1 lenses are all scratched up from peoples glasses rubbing against them.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases
21. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases May 5, 2016, 04:55 Baristan

A 34GB download takes me over a week at 100% bandwidth... and I have to share the connection.

For those of us stuck on an old DSL line: "is it worth it to download?" can be translated as "if I only get one game this month should this be the game?"

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
22. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 15:16 Baristan

On reddit people say the Rift still works when blocked by a firewall. Someone did a packet analysis and found it to only be doing version checking every 30 seconds, at least for now.

News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
19. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 07:21 Baristan

UWP was closed by default, but users could allow non windows store UWP apps to run, if they could find the setting.
Google does the same thing with android and Oculus is doing the same with the Rift.
Lock in and "usage statistics" are more valuable to them than the little blow back they get from consumers. As long as side-loading is off by default they get most of the benefits of a closed ecosystem without worrying about monopoly charges or public wrath. Only Apple has been brave enough to completely forbid side loading.

I doubt Microsoft has even noticed the significant increase of "I'll buy your game if you support Linux." threads on Steam.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2016, 18:19 Baristan

There was still copy protection on a few Atari games, similar to some DVDs, disks were shipped with bad sectors and misaligned tracks. Could play the game but couldn't make a backup. Have a save bug or head touch the disk and you had to buy a new copy. Lost a couple games due to 'DRM' in the 80's.

Soon afterwards someone made a program that would copy and ignore the errors.
Then a developer started using disk location instead of files to locate data.
Then copying software would keep data in the same place on disk.
Then 'DRM' started checking for the existence of unreadable sectors.
Then copying software started intentionally creating bad sectors.
Then 'DRM started measuring read times.
Then everyone switched to 8086 comps.

The DRM wars have been going on for +30 years.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2016, 18:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2016, 17:15 Baristan

More games on Steam???

My collection of Atari 800 games begs to differ. Too large to count. Have several boxes full of hundreds of 5.25 floppies most with 5-10 games each.

Steam only has about 7500 games.

You can still download thousands of them from archive.org
or almost 9k games from www.atarimania.com

I tried to play them all once, but gave up after a few thousand. Almost all of them were complete garbage. Was lucky to get 1 in 3 to even load. Could only take so many pacman, froger, and space invader clones. There were some gems, but modern games on average are much much better.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 21:40 Baristan

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 20:57:
Change your amazon bookmark to this URL ?

Thanks I'll give it a try.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 20:51 Baristan

Blue wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 15:28:
Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:48:
And to answer the other question that got buried in there, the Amazon links certainly have helped.

If you make the Amazon link work for those of us using ad blockers you would get even more. I'm planning on making some purchases there, but see no link on this site.

"amazon-adsystem.com" is blocked by every ad blocker I've tried.

84 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo