Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Baristan

Real Name Baristan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 15:30
Total Comments 75 (Suspect)
User ID 57641

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Screeps Early Access
5. Re: Screeps Early Access Jun 21, 2016, 02:15 Baristan

The registration free demo is interesting.
Would buy it, but $9 a month is too much for me to spend on a game like this.
Will wait to see how the single player turns out before purchase.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
23. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 31, 2016, 00:40 Baristan

Your motherboard might have a pcie2.0 not a 3.0 slot. The 1070 should be backwards compatible with a pcie2 slot. It would be a little slower on loading textures into memory but fps would be nearly the same.

Here is an article about pcie2 vs pcie3 performance

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2016, 16:30 Baristan

Purchased a Logitech MX518 mouse back in 2005. The scroll wheel needs to be cleaned every few months now, the rubber coating wore off, and a skid pad fell off, but otherwise after 10+ years of gaming it's still works as well as it did when it was new. Logitech and Microsoft mice have always lasted many years for me.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 10:49 Baristan

Watch out using glasses with the rift.

My dk1 lenses are all scratched up from peoples glasses rubbing against them.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases
21. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood with DOOM Pre-Purchases May 5, 2016, 04:55 Baristan

A 34GB download takes me over a week at 100% bandwidth... and I have to share the connection.

For those of us stuck on an old DSL line: "is it worth it to download?" can be translated as "if I only get one game this month should this be the game?"

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
22. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 15:16 Baristan

On reddit people say the Rift still works when blocked by a firewall. Someone did a packet analysis and found it to only be doing version checking every 30 seconds, at least for now.

News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
19. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 07:21 Baristan

UWP was closed by default, but users could allow non windows store UWP apps to run, if they could find the setting.
Google does the same thing with android and Oculus is doing the same with the Rift.
Lock in and "usage statistics" are more valuable to them than the little blow back they get from consumers. As long as side-loading is off by default they get most of the benefits of a closed ecosystem without worrying about monopoly charges or public wrath. Only Apple has been brave enough to completely forbid side loading.

I doubt Microsoft has even noticed the significant increase of "I'll buy your game if you support Linux." threads on Steam.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2016, 18:19 Baristan

There was still copy protection on a few Atari games, similar to some DVDs, disks were shipped with bad sectors and misaligned tracks. Could play the game but couldn't make a backup. Have a save bug or head touch the disk and you had to buy a new copy. Lost a couple games due to 'DRM' in the 80's.

Soon afterwards someone made a program that would copy and ignore the errors.
Then a developer started using disk location instead of files to locate data.
Then copying software would keep data in the same place on disk.
Then 'DRM' started checking for the existence of unreadable sectors.
Then copying software started intentionally creating bad sectors.
Then 'DRM started measuring read times.
Then everyone switched to 8086 comps.

The DRM wars have been going on for +30 years.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2016, 18:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 21, 2016, 17:15 Baristan

More games on Steam???

My collection of Atari 800 games begs to differ. Too large to count. Have several boxes full of hundreds of 5.25 floppies most with 5-10 games each.

Steam only has about 7500 games.

You can still download thousands of them from archive.org
or almost 9k games from www.atarimania.com

I tried to play them all once, but gave up after a few thousand. Almost all of them were complete garbage. Was lucky to get 1 in 3 to even load. Could only take so many pacman, froger, and space invader clones. There were some gems, but modern games on average are much much better.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 21:40 Baristan

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 20:57:
Change your amazon bookmark to this URL ?

Thanks I'll give it a try.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 20:51 Baristan

Blue wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 15:28:
Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:48:
And to answer the other question that got buried in there, the Amazon links certainly have helped.

If you make the Amazon link work for those of us using ad blockers you would get even more. I'm planning on making some purchases there, but see no link on this site.

"amazon-adsystem.com" is blocked by every ad blocker I've tried.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 16, 2016, 19:24 Baristan

The Amazon iframe isn't displayed when using an ad blocker.
Blues should add a direct link instead.
I've looked before and haven't found one.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2016, 19:30.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2016, 13:46 Baristan

When Hillary gets the Democrat nomination and Trump the Republican, I hope rational people jump ship from the two party system. This could be the year a third party candidate gets more than 10% of the vote. That is enough to make Republicans and Democrats embrace the disenfranchised or slowly lose power. The 0.3% Jill Stein got in 2012 was not enough to have any effect.

Vote for Jill Stein(Green party) if you want a candidate similar to Bernie who is against big banks and for renewable energy, or for Gary Johnson(Libertarian party) if you want lower taxes and personal freedom. They are the non R/D front runners who have enough suport to make it onto the majority of ballots. There are 40+ candidates running.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
61. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 13:57 Baristan

Steam on Linux works great. 3/4 of my library is supported. Much better than a few years ago. Only use windows for the few games that aren't(Witcher 3, MGSV). There are enough games on Linux now that I will not purchase another version of windows and have already cut down on buying windows only games.

Future versions of windows will likely be worse. I'll still upgrade to win10 while it is free, but won't stop bitching about microsoft/apple/ubuntu/firefox/google or any other group that doesn't respect my privacy, regardless of "not being harmed" by it.

Just because my house has a window doesn't mean I give everyone permission to stick their head against the glass and create a list of what I own and how I take my tea.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
56. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 07:54 Baristan

Just caught windows 7 scanning the HD on my gaming PC and uploading data to Microsoft.
It was compattelrunner.exe
Looked into it and it is part of an optinal update KB2952664.
Checked my update history, and it installed along with KB3035583 without my permission.

FUCK microsoft

I check every kb# before I install updates. This was one of the updated that I clicked "Hide update" on.

Now windows is bugging me to install Win10, and every time I open windows update it enables upgrade to windows 10 in the "optional" tab by default

Even windows 7 isn't safe from microsoft harvesting your data.
Not upgrading to windows 10 won't protect your privacy.

Now they have a list of all my Steam games...

From now on Linux support for games will be a major influence on my purchase. Thankfully many developers have started supporting Linux.
Star Nomad 2 has been released for free on linux by the developer. Nice to see even more devs learning how to.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 7, 2015, 09:56 Baristan

That or they don't want to be dependent on Qualcomm for Neuromorphic chips to run the image recognition 'AI' needed for their augmented reality apps.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Planetary Landing Beta This Month
28. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Planetary Landing Beta This Month Nov 6, 2015, 17:25 Baristan

Timmeh wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 12:06:
I seriously don't think any of you have actually tried one of these games. If it is his mothers money as you say he seems to have accomplished a lot with it.

Some of us have played his games. Then we went online for support for the massively broken products, and met dereK.

We may not give him credit for making a game where you can fly a fleet of space craft around the universe and land on planets because none of us were able to play that game.

I haven't played his games recently. Maybe they are playable now, but definitely were not when I purchased them. Played 3000AD in the mid 90's and Universal Combat when it first launched. They made Bethesda games look stable and bug free.
After making only one suggestion, to have the in-game document reader remember which page you were on. I quickly learned to avoid dereK and anything he touches. Telling me to go buy a printer and print the 200+ page manual, insulting me then calling me a casual gamer, finally suggesting I not buy another of his games... I had been nothing but polite to dereK, in the end he did give me some good advice. I haven't even looked and anything he has been involved with since.

He's made many of the same promises as Chris Roberts + neural net AI in his game. Constantly hyping the dream of an epic space sim and delivering nothing of value.

If you see a bunch of cursing at his name... He's earned it.

News Comments > Amnesia Free on Steam
17. Re: Amnesia Free on Steam Sep 15, 2015, 21:49 Baristan

Skyborn is also free today if you signup for a Bundle Stars mailing list.

http://www.pcgamer.com/claim-your-free-steam-key-for-skyborn/

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 01:44 Baristan

Windows 10 > iOS > Andriod

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it ok.

The iCloud leak last year is a good example of what can happen. Some people did flip their lids over it, but not enough to make a difference. At least uploading your files is voluntary. Most people are unaware of all the data their smart phone collects.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 16, 2015, 19:50 Baristan

WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:34:
The "spying" claims are, as usual, utterly sensational and much ado about nothing...;) Propaganda spread by the usual congenitally anti-Microsoft suspects who also see a "Red under every bed," jump twenty feet when spotting their own shadows--pure Milquetoasts, etc.

The absolute worse things you have to fear from Windows 10 are seeing ads for things you might want to actually buy instead ads for things that don't remotely interest you. If you don't like that--use an ad-blocker and you foil the "spymasters" completely. This "spying" fuss isn't so much paranoia from people as it is base stupidity, imo.
It's sad that so many people agree with you.
A little bit of fear is healthy. There is precedent for the importance of privacy.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

or differential pricing at retailers based on their profile.

75 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo