170 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Sep 24, 2022, 21:25
Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 24, 2022, 21:25
Sep 24, 2022, 21:25

yonder wrote on Sep 24, 2022, 16:58:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Sep 24, 2022, 16:12:
Re: TikTok’s ‘NPC In Real Life’ Trend Comes From Gen Z’s Worst Side.

I think author Ashley Bardhan has missed the entire joke. Sure, there are some unsavory jerks taking the joke to unsavory extremes, and those people <i>should</i> stop harassing people.

Personally, I find that when people behave like NPCs in a way that causes unnecessary stress to everyone around them, that shrugging it off as NPC behavior is just a simple coping mechanism that adds some lighthearted humor into the situation.

Many of these videos are just hilarious "person walking in place as they continually fail to walk through a glass wall", and is hilariously similar to behavior we consistently see from NPCs in games.

Then there is the more, put-down side of things. For example, suppose you are reacting to a brainwashed, indoctrinated person who couldn't think critically to save their life. The type of person who literally has no inner monologue, no filter on their mouths, and couldn't give you a reason for any of their behavior. They simply act 100% on auto pilot all of the time, and the deep thinking side of their brain is severely under-developed (i.e. fast thinking only and no slow thinking, see the book "Thinking fast and slow"). Their behavior is VERY similar to NPCs in video games.

And what do we do with NPCs in video games? We don't try to change them. We accept that they are NPCs and move on with our lives.

I'm here for calling people who exhibit NPC-like behavior in real life what they act like: NPCs.

To use a millennial saying... "Not all Gen Z"

The extreme really DO ruin it for the majority, and this is no different. If A, B, C, D, E, F, and G need to be relegated to "only in certain situations" because of unsavory jerks... then this is no different. If I can't engage in Poe's Law publicly to mock sexism scum by acting like them, because unsavory jerks will emulate it, for example, then it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT okay to call out Gen Z because they created this problem.

This shit isn't hilarious. Stop endorsing the harassment of innocent people by saying that these videos are hilarious. That's 100% what you are doing. Don't call them NPCs. Call them fucking asshole pieces of shit. And, at times, criminals. And, 100% of the time, fucking clueless children.

If you find it funny, keep it *ONLY* to those people who find it funny. Harass your idiot friends. Nothin wrong with that. Getting your jollies off by intentionally inflicting negative experiences on others makes you nothing more than scum, and finding that hilarious means you are okay with people being scum.

I fear the only way for those who endorse this behavior to understand the pain they inflict is for it to be inflicted on them hundred-fold, and I don't like that idea, but I do worship pragmatism. So keep that in mind the next time you're having a horrible, stress-filled day, and some stupid advanced-age child gets their jollies off by harassing the living shit out of you. I hope you get a clue, FloodAnxiety, and I hope the children who do this crap also get a clue one day. May your journey of growing up be filled with less harassment than the lives of the victims in the videos you enjoy laughing at.

And you have provided the 100% flawless counter to any complaint you might have about what I say.

... it's okay, cuz I find it funny.
Whoa. Quite the response. Perhaps we have had different experiences with this type of content. Who is harassing who? Most of the content I've seen, it is usually the person exhibiting NPC like behavior that is causing the disturbance if there is one. I haven't been exposed to the type of content where some jerk goes around calling normal people NPCs in order to justify harassing them (other than that single person mentioned in the article. I'm not sure one person, regardless of their viewership, counts as wide spread.).

If this is a real problem I haven't been exposed to it but I am will be educated on how big and wide spread of a problem if it has spread to the point where calling someone an NPC is already so taboo.

This is the type of content I have seen:
https://youtu.be/0_9FprGmqzg

I reviewed the article. The article didn't have a lot in terms of examples. One example is of some professional jerk, I didn't dig further to determine if all his jerk behavior centralized on him calling people NPCs or if just a few of his videos were. The other is a perfect example, someone intentionally being funny, and people saying enjoying the content. Do you find objection to the second video of the guy clapping like a NPC/Robot? Can you help me understand what you find objectional? And/or, can you provide some links to this objectional content that is so wide spread that I should now refrain from using the term NPC to describe behavior that mimics NPCs? My YouTube searching abilities are failing to find this abusive content.

I'm genuinely willing to learn and want to understand your side. I'm now asking myself, what if you did mean the videos like the one I posted. Would I consider most of those people victims because they are in a video that went viral? Hmm, I am starting to hypothesize that perhaps you are probably against all forms of videos that are posted without permissions? And all such people are victims? Or maybe not and it is purely the victims of jerks who bump into people on purpose etc.

To be clear. I am 100% against harassment of any kind. But from the data I've seen, the harassment of people due to the usage of the term NPC in real life has not reached the point where we should actively discourage calling NPC-like behavior in real life what it looks like. I welcome you to increase my dataset to change my mind.

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Sep 24, 2022, 16:12
Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 24, 2022, 16:12
Sep 24, 2022, 16:12

Re: TikTok’s ‘NPC In Real Life’ Trend Comes From Gen Z’s Worst Side.

I think author Ashley Bardhan has missed the entire joke. Sure, there are some unsavory jerks taking the joke to unsavory extremes, and those people <i>should</i> stop harassing people.

Personally, I find that when people behave like NPCs in a way that causes unnecessary stress to everyone around them, that shrugging it off as NPC behavior is just a simple coping mechanism that adds some lighthearted humor into the situation.

Many of these videos are just hilarious "person walking in place as they continually fail to walk through a glass wall", and is hilariously similar to behavior we consistently see from NPCs in games.

Then there is the more, put-down side of things. For example, suppose you are reacting to a brainwashed, indoctrinated person who couldn't think critically to save their life. The type of person who literally has no inner monologue, no filter on their mouths, and couldn't give you a reason for any of their behavior. They simply act 100% on auto pilot all of the time, and the deep thinking side of their brain is severely under-developed (i.e. fast thinking only and no slow thinking, see the book "Thinking fast and slow"). Their behavior is VERY similar to NPCs in video games.

And what do we do with NPCs in video games? We don't try to change them. We accept that they are NPCs and move on with our lives.

I'm here for calling people who exhibit NPC-like behavior in real life what they act like: NPCs.

Re: OotB: Forceful
Sep 22, 2022, 16:23
Re: OotB: Forceful Sep 22, 2022, 16:23
Sep 22, 2022, 16:23

Nullity wrote on Sep 22, 2022, 13:11:
Data are.
I know that this is grammatically correct, but it just looks and sounds completely wrong, I don't like it. My biggest grammatical pet-peeves (aside from the simple stuff like people using the incorrect form of "they're" or "you're"):

1. When ending a sentence with a quote, the period is meant to be inside the ending quote. But this makes no logical sense to me, since most of the time the period isn't actually part of the quote, but is ending the entire sentence. I refuse to do this (unless the quote itself includes punctuation).
2. When an oxford comma is not used. Without it, ambiguity can often be unintentionally introduced, as well as just taking more effort to read. Always use an Oxford comma, people!
I agree; the correct way is "Data is".

Some words are always plural, and you can't really have a singular quantity of it. For example: "snow". You would say "The snow is white", not "the snow are white". An individual piece of snow is not "snow", it is a different word. Same with data. An individual piece of data is not called data, it is called a bit. The collection of all the bits forms a singular "data", just like the collection of all the snowflakes forms a singular "snow".

I'm just imagining Blue being like... "the rain are wet" and I can't stop laughing.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Sep 22, 2022, 16:02
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2022, 16:02
Sep 22, 2022, 16:02

Wireless bone conducting headphones is where it is at. Zero ear fatigue. Great for gaming in the same room as someone else. You can both still hear each other fine and still hear the game in all its stereo glory (no pulling one headphone off the ear to hear the other person).

If you want to be completely immersive and have better lows than the bone conducting headphones, that is when you throw on the noise cancelling over the ear headphones connected to a SubPac and you get concert level audio experience without bothering the other person in the room. All while untethered from the PC.

Also, not having a cord means not having vibrations and other noises travelling along the cable and ruining your experience.

Only downside is you'll need a separate mic since bluetooth still sucks and no one wants to game in "headset" mode.

Ok, one more downside is the inherent latency in the audio, but you have to be pretty sweaty to sweat a few ms less of a heads up when hanzo ults or something in a FPS. So I will concede if you need to squeeze out your best performance in a competitive FPS then wired is unbeatable.

But for everyone else, serious, you owe it to yourself to give bone conducting headphones a shot.

Re: Biz Buzz
Sep 20, 2022, 16:22
Re: Biz Buzz Sep 20, 2022, 16:22
Sep 20, 2022, 16:22

Sometimes I wonder if 343 watched how Trump ran his presidency and thought: that is a good way to run things; let's emulate his style.

Re: OotB: Pray for cheer
Sep 18, 2022, 14:36
Re: OotB: Pray for cheer Sep 18, 2022, 14:36
Sep 18, 2022, 14:36

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 18, 2022, 13:19:
I grew up learning to read and write cursive as well as calligraphy. I will probably handwrite in cursive until the day I die. If others can't read it, that's their problem.
This is an odd flex.

Do you prefer to write that way because you like the way it looks? The speed at which you can write it? Or because you know that many people will be unable to read it?

I learned to read and write cursive in elementary school, but I still found that 99% of adult's cursive with still illegible. It never seemed like they did it because they preferred the way it looked it; it always came off to me as them being too lazy to take the time to write it well: like they didn't care whether or not I could read what they gave me. Almost like they took offensive to having to write anything for me and thought they would "win" the exchange by hastily scribbling their words.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Sep 17, 2022, 16:20
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2022, 16:20
Sep 17, 2022, 16:20

This is the strangest move by EVGA...

This is like owning a general store. The store stocked the Lucky Charms brand for years, but it was too popular, and they couldn't keep their shelves stocked. Fed up that they couldn't get the supply they needed, rather than sell out of stock all of time, they decided to just not stock them at all. They believe it is better to not sell any Lucky Charms if selling them means results in them selling out and some customers getting upset that they are out of stock.

Seriously... you can't make this stuff up:

EVGA thinks the GPU market that routinely sells out of stock is too much for them to handle. So they are taking a "principled" stance and noping out of the market.

"But their profit margins are shrinking!" I hear someone say in the back. The profit margins on a product that routinely sells out is shrinking... gee, what does supply and demand say when the demand is so high that your good gets sold out? Hint, it doesn't say "give up".

Here is my interpretation of EVGA. Some higher up got butt hurt after having a business discussion with NVIDIA and is now ruining EVGA over some personal issue. What else could explain such a bizarre move? Other theories?

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 17, 2022, 16:06
Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2022, 16:06
Sep 17, 2022, 16:06

"...the second question was whether Lamina1 was a cash grab."

But they don't answer this second question. Later in the article I believe they eventually do:

"Lamina1 has its own monetization scheme as well"

Not a good start... but... keep going...

“The economics are tied to adoption—the more people use it, the more valuable it is,”

Sigh... so... cash grab then. I don't think I can think of a single thing that doesn't have a correlation between adoption and how valuable it is.

When an article about your new metaverse talks only about crypto and monetization and speaks absolutely nothing about the experience, you know they don't have a product, and you know they only have a means of milking gullible investors.

Maybe this is just Neal Stephenson's way of researching his next book: The Cryptocalypse. A story about uber driver who strikes it rich in crypto, gets dragged into a world of sex trafficking, and ultimately causes the crypto financial collapse with his money laundering and takes out all major organized crime organizations at the same time.

Re: Morning Patches
Sep 16, 2022, 15:56
Re: Morning Patches Sep 16, 2022, 15:56
Sep 16, 2022, 15:56

I'm played HL2 VR years ago on the original Oculus Rift... what exactly does this mod add that wasn't possible before?

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 12, 2022, 15:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2022, 15:49
Sep 12, 2022, 15:49

Re: We May Never Know How Vast the Cosmos Really Are

We will never know how vast the cosmos is.

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Sep 12, 2022, 15:44
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 12, 2022, 15:44
Sep 12, 2022, 15:44

Cenotaph wrote on Sep 12, 2022, 03:49:
It's easier to blame someone else for your failed attempt at understanding what you're investing in.
This lawsuit seems to me to consist of these kind of people. Take personal responsibility
I agree, time for Elon Musk to take personal responsibility for any pump and dumping or other illegal behavior he has done. His excuse of not understanding the law and blaming others for his ignorance is pretty weak. Time to be a man.

Re: Threewave CTF Returns to Quake
Aug 19, 2022, 13:50
Re: Threewave CTF Returns to Quake Aug 19, 2022, 13:50
Aug 19, 2022, 13:50

Threewave was the one that pioneered the four power up runes, right? Classic!

Re: Quake Champions Leaves Early Access
Aug 19, 2022, 13:48
Re: Quake Champions Leaves Early Access Aug 19, 2022, 13:48
Aug 19, 2022, 13:48

When a free to play game comes out of early access five years later... does that mean the game will not be getting any more future updates?

Re: Quoteworthy
Aug 10, 2022, 15:52
Re: Quoteworthy Aug 10, 2022, 15:52
Aug 10, 2022, 15:52

Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2022, 20:49:
Two points worth noting (and clarifying):

1. Crowdfunding is an interest-free loan because promises and commitments are made in exchange for financial support. When indie devs make delivery promises, the crowd owns how it is delivered. For example, in my original post, Snapshot promised Steam and GOG availability at release.

2. I didn't write it's wrong to take additional funds from in/outside sources. I wrote it's wrong to use the public as an interest-free loan, provide assurances, and then sell their game to Epic for $ 2.25 million. Epic is NOT going to honor the original promises of Steam and GOG sim-ship release, and they know that. They poached the game as an exclusive because there were several thousand backers. That's potentially several thousand new EGS users held hostage because they don't want to wait a year, forced to get the game on a platform they don't want to play on.

I stand by what I wrote: "Epic may be great for indies, but their actions reveal a habit of engaging in anti-consumer behavior."
If you had to choose between Snapshot's game never releasing versus what happened, what would you choose and why? Please keep in mind that it sounds like what happened includes them offering refunds to the original backers.

Based on your replies so far... I suspect that you are going to answer that you do not think the game should be released. I'm trying to understand why you think that would be a better outcome for the original backers, for future customers, and for Snashot?

Re: Quoteworthy
Aug 8, 2022, 16:23
Re: Quoteworthy Aug 8, 2022, 16:23
Aug 8, 2022, 16:23

Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2022, 13:43:
As noted by many, Snapshot used the public as a temporary interest-free loan to produce their game and then sold out to Epic for 2.25 million. It goes against everything crowdfunding stands for, and Julian Gollop has NO RIGHT to claim "Epic has been great for many indies" at the expense of tossing backers under the bus who helped make his game a reality.

This is an interesting take. Can you help me understand this perspective? I've never heard of this stigma that something crowdfunded couldn't or shouldn't be sellable? Is this something new? Is it something Snapshot promised they wouldn't do up front? Why is it frowned upon? How have the original crowdfunded backers been tossed under the bus?

I always thought people seek crowd funding because it may be easier than securing other types of funding, and I thought people choose to crowd fund projects because they want to see that project get created. I've never heard of people who crowd funded a project getting upset because the project got additional funding from else where, nor do I understand why that would upset them?

Genuinely curious.

Re: Ukraine Calls for Russian Esports Blockade
Aug 7, 2022, 14:05
Re: Ukraine Calls for Russian Esports Blockade Aug 7, 2022, 14:05
Aug 7, 2022, 14:05

nofb wrote on Aug 7, 2022, 04:47:
It's time people understand this is useless and only hurts the global economy.
I'm assuming that by "this" you are referring to the disgraceful military aggression, right? Surely you wouldn't come on here and defend their disgraceful military aggression by claiming that it isn't the disgraceful military aggression that is hurting the global economy but it is actually the repercussions of the disgraceful military aggression that is doing the hurt... right?

Re: Fanatical Quits Acquitted
Aug 1, 2022, 15:28
Re: Fanatical Quits Acquitted Aug 1, 2022, 15:28
Aug 1, 2022, 15:28

Cutter, a farewell message for you.

With all sincerity, consider self-reflection: ask yourself, why do I believe the things I do? In all seriousness, treat yourself like you are a five-year-old and keep on asking yourself the question "why?". When you narrow in on why you believe something, find competing sources, and read their perspective. You may be surprised to learn that there are many groups of people who will flat out lie. You can tell a good source from a bad source because the bad sources tell multiple unreconcilable lies and act hypocritically. If you are still having trouble, consider brushing up on some boolean logic and logical fallacies, as knowledge of these things can help you spot a good argument from the bad arguments. Dig down and try to use empathy to understand other's positions. Start with the assumption that everyone else is exactly like you, i.e. use the Golden Rule (if it helps, also mentioned in Matthew 7:12), and rework through your values. In your own eyes, swallow your pride and cut ties to your past self. You may fear that you've dug yourself this hole and that you must live in it for the rest of your life, but you do not. You may be surprised to find that people are quite receptive to you learning and growing from your mistakes.

While your time here in these forums was cut short, and you may never be able to regain the community you may have felt here, it isn't too late for you to grow and become a part of a new community.

While I pretty much disagreed with everything single hot take of yours, I do hope that you are able to learn, grow, and become more understanding in the future.
 Topic Locked Report

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jul 21, 2022, 16:55
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2022, 16:55
Jul 21, 2022, 16:55

Re: "A major NFT collector accidentally spent $150k on his own joke domain name."

A more accurate title would be:
"A newb NFT scammer gets got by their own scam for $148k"

Re: Activision Blizzard Walkout Plans
Jul 7, 2022, 15:23
Re: Activision Blizzard Walkout Plans Jul 7, 2022, 15:23
Jul 7, 2022, 15:23

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2022, 21:21:
Like I've said before, the moment you cave to the extremists is the moment it's all over but the crying. It's a workplace, not a fucking political forum. They should fire them all and relocate to eastern Europe or India. See how you like looking for work in a vastly overpopulated world with a global recession on the way. They have no idea how good they have it.
Ahh, Cutter. You didn't proofread your post enough, did you?

Cutter crying about employed people expecting more from their employers. Check.

Cutter, in his wisdom, thinks the company should fire anyone that wants better working conditions, and then wants that company to relocate to eastern Europe or India... because... he thinks that those areas are overpopulated and that would make it more difficult for the people they fired to get jobs with the company that then moved out of the country.

Well, at least he is consistent: consistent at making crap non-sensical arguments.

Cutter, I think you forget that without the skill of the skilled labor, you and your manager club aren't building or selling anything. Maybe... just maybe... it is unskilled managers that are the ones that do not realize how good they have it.

Managers are a dime a dozen. Managers that can't do the job of the employees they manage can be replaced with a McDonald's manager. Fire the managers. Promote the skilled laborers to management. Treat your employees with respect.

Re: Biz Buzz
Jul 2, 2022, 14:25
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 2, 2022, 14:25
Jul 2, 2022, 14:25

WaltSee wrote on Jul 2, 2022, 09:31:
Surprising to see that some people think the voters in each state should not have the right to determine abortion laws in their states. That's nothing but democracy, with people's votes counting. Also, strange to see that some don't realize that many women in the states that ban abortion vote to ban surgical abortion--millions of women are involved here in seeing it banned in states. Even the dissenting votes in the SCOTUS decision agreed that there's no "right to abortion" (by any description) in the Constitution--that's been false for 50 years. There will be many states in which the voters will support and allow abortion. Doesn't get any more democratic than that. Overturning Roe didn't ban abortion anywhere. It leaves the issue up to the states, just where it was before the very poor Roe decision in '72. No more can surgical abortion be used as a political football by an incompetent Congress, and I think that's wonderful!

Changing the Constitution can be done, but not by the judicial branch, legally. The states have to align in order to change the Constitution, and Congress is involved, of course. The job of the SCOTUS, indeed, of the entire judicial branch is to enforce the laws that Congress enacts and to enforce the Constitution. But, as we all know, that hasn't been adhered to at times, usually with horrific results, so it's good to see the country returning to the path upon which it was founded, imo.
Walt is a great example of someone so full of cognitive dissonance that they think taking rights away from people is the same thing as giving rights to people. Imagine being THAT GUY who would straight face argue that it is better to take away an individual's right to choose and give that power to the state instead. I don't know whether to laugh out loud or feel genuinely sorry. I mean, how does one even start with someone so far gone already?
170 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older