Descending
Limit Results:

58 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 18, 2021, 16:45
Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 18, 2021, 16:45
Sep 18, 2021, 16:45

It seems that a lot of people object with Facebook's non-action in this case. But I can't help but think that if Facebook was actively censoring some parties and not others, i.e. showing a bias towards one group of people over another, that there would also be a lot of people objecting to Facebook's biased actions.

It really feels like the people who are upset is simply a subset of the people who already hate Facebook. Or they hate that there is a platform that allows the spread of information that they don't want to see spread (disinformation), while the people consuming that disinformation have no issue with it because to them it is simply entertainment.

I'm not really sure what these people think Facebook should do. Is all they want is for Facebook to censor things that this group of people object to? Do us bystanders really want to see Facebook go down that road? Do we really want Facebook to be the arbitrator here? Or do we want there to be an independent party that can dictate what Facebook should censor? How should that independent party be setup and how should we enforce that entity's policies?

What a mess. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Ultimately, I think individuals need to take more responsibilities in this case, and less responsibility should be placed solely on Facebook's shoulders. We should educate people who use social media on what engagement does to how content is spread. If you don't like something, don't engage with it. You can't reasonably expect an algorithm to know the difference between positive engagement and negative engagement. So just ignore the things you don't like.

Re: Epic Appealing Court Decision; Apple May Too
Sep 14, 2021, 18:03
Re: Epic Appealing Court Decision; Apple May Too Sep 14, 2021, 18:03
Sep 14, 2021, 18:03

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 08:15:
Benzer wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 13:55:
I feel like every ISP should be asking for a 30% cut of every business transaction that occurs over the internet service they provide.
If they thought they could get away with it, they would. That said, not the best analogy. Apple built and maintains their entire platform, can't say that for ISPs. Apple's platform is connected to the Internet, but is separate from it.
Emphasis mine; I respectfully disagree with the use of "entire" in this statement. Apple built most of their platform, but leveraged the work of giants. Many Bluesnews readers were reading this site on Matrox Millennium graphics cards when the first 3D cards started coming to the market. Hardware 3D graphics would not be where they are today without games like Quake from id Software, and Unreal from... wait for it... Epic Games. What was Apple doing when the revolution was happening? Innovating hockey pucks into mice?

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 11, 2021, 16:31
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 16:31
Sep 11, 2021, 16:31

Science says studies based on a dataset of 33 people is not statistically significant, and thus is not actually science. I'd be in favor not never seeing a fake science article on yahoo linked here again. Just my two cents.

Re: Sunday Mobilization
Aug 29, 2021, 15:38
Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 29, 2021, 15:38
Aug 29, 2021, 15:38

This folks; this is yet another reason why Google and Apple's app store fees and rules need to change. Anyone want to chime in and argue in favor of these backroom dealings? I'd love to hear a decent rationalization of this behavior from an opposing viewpoint.

Re: Apple Proposes App Store Changes
Aug 27, 2021, 14:11
Re: Apple Proposes App Store Changes Aug 27, 2021, 14:11
Aug 27, 2021, 14:11

Its not a full win unless Apple also removes the ban that prevents app developers from sharing with their users in app how much more expensive their purchase is due to Apple's fee.

It is an easy litmus test; if your policy is designed to obscure or hide information from the end user, then that policy is shady AF, and does not reflect a healthy business practice or fair competition.

Re: Co-op Campaign and Forge to Follow Halo Infinite Launch
Aug 21, 2021, 15:39
Re: Co-op Campaign and Forge to Follow Halo Infinite Launch Aug 21, 2021, 15:39
Aug 21, 2021, 15:39

No co-op campaign even after delaying the game for a year. 343 must have some of the best managers in the industry. Well done. /clap

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Aug 19, 2021, 21:04
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2021, 21:04
Aug 19, 2021, 21:04

Twitter is buried now?

I don't really understand this one. I read the article and the comments, but I still don't see what exactly they are claiming they did that caused people harm?

AFAIK, no one anywhere ever has been required to use Facebook or any of the business that they bought. Maybe I don't understand the scope of how things are nowadays, is there like an intense pressure for people in some social circles to be on Facebook?

I'm in favor of Facebook stopping being an Ad company and social networking company. They can just move forward being a VR company. Future children should assume "Facebook" is just a weird old person name for VR. "Its like a book, for your face."

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Aug 19, 2021, 20:52
Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 19, 2021, 20:52
Aug 19, 2021, 20:52

Ouch. That new MSPaint design is painful to look at.

smh

Re: Epic Games Store Self-Publishing Beta
Aug 18, 2021, 15:57
Re: Epic Games Store Self-Publishing Beta Aug 18, 2021, 15:57
Aug 18, 2021, 15:57

Laughing Man wrote on Aug 18, 2021, 12:46:
Just a heads up to any future developers thinking the epic store is great...my friends and I don't even use epic beyond collecting free games just to say we have. Not even installed as you can claim them from the webpage. 132 games so far and not a single one paid for. Bigger than my steam library of 112 games that were all 100% purchased.
I think you may be confused if you think that will discourage future developers from thinking the Epic store is great. The games industry thanks you for your support!

Re: Among Us Devs Find Fortnite Impostors Mode Sus
Aug 18, 2021, 15:38
Re: Among Us Devs Find Fortnite Impostors Mode Sus Aug 18, 2021, 15:38
Aug 18, 2021, 15:38

Today I learned that the Among Us devs feel entitled to their not so original idea. Did Among Us devs make a great game that exploded in popularity that exposed many people to an idea that has been around for a good while? Yes. Does that make them the gate keeper of this idea now? Apparently they believe so.

They could have taken the "imitation is the highest form of flattery" approach, but nah, they want to complain about Epic not lining their pockets. At least, that is how I take the "a collaboration would have been welcome" point of view they are taking.

smh

Do they think this makes people think more highly of them? Maybe they already had an anti-Epic bias that is coming out since it was Epic that develops Fortnite? There has already been very direct Among Us knock offs, even some created with the Unreal Engine. So the only thing that is different is... well, maybe they did have the same issue with those and it just wasn't newsworthy enough to reach my radar. Either way, disappointing.

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Dropping TCP/IP
Aug 12, 2021, 18:19
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Dropping TCP/IP Aug 12, 2021, 18:19
Aug 12, 2021, 18:19

Blizzard really spent money to pay their engineers to remove features from their old game before they re-release it. LOL WTF I don't even... I ... I think Blizzard is TRYING to go out of business? With management decisions like these, it is no surprise they are in their current state. Wow. If I owned any part of that company I would be struggling to sell it as fast as possible.

Re: etc.
Aug 6, 2021, 15:48
Re: etc. Aug 6, 2021, 15:48
Aug 6, 2021, 15:48

Blockchains bring zero to gaming. Once a big block chain based game's servers go down and folks realize their NFTs still exist but are not accessible without the game servers, then they will understand that what they paid for existed just as much without the block chain as it did with the block chain.

Game servers do not run on block chains. An NFT for an item in a game is no different than an item in a game.

Maybe... someone will carve out a nitch by creating a 3rd party item management service and then game companies can integrate for free with that service to reduce their development and support costs, but I remain highly skeptical.

Re: New World Delayed
Aug 5, 2021, 15:32
Re: New World Delayed Aug 5, 2021, 15:32
Aug 5, 2021, 15:32

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 5, 2021, 04:45:
jamiedj99 wrote on Aug 5, 2021, 02:50:
MMO Players are like 5% off all gamers put together and those PVP players are like 5% of this 5%. and whats funny is that 5% of all all these 5% of like the hard core pvpers. So just about any game dev company knows not to cater to this fraction of a fraction of a %

Even if those stats were remotely true, you're drawing the wrong conclusion. All of the most popular games these days are online PVP-based, many of them exclusively, so pretty much any game dev company would love to capture some of that market... It's not a bad idea to go about that in a way that isn't just shitting out yet another BR. They wouldn't be going after the traditional MMO player, they'd be trying to get PVPers interested in an MMO.
You know what, you are totally right. Most popular games these days are online PVP-based. But you are over looking that MMOs tend to have progression and no match making. Progression means getting stronger via things other than skill and knowledge (i.e. geared up). Combine that with PVP means the death of the casual player, and the death of the casual player means that all that is left are the few hardcore players competing to stomp the ever dwindling trickle of newbs that try the game out. Eventually everyone realizes no one is having fun, servers are merged as the player base shrinks, and eventually the servers are shut off.

Re: Activision Blizzard Financials
Aug 4, 2021, 15:26
Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Aug 4, 2021, 15:26
Aug 4, 2021, 15:26

Zirthimon wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 19:58:
What ever, just release Diablo 2 Resurrected and Diablo 4. I don't care if they respect women or not. I don't care if they respect men or not. Jesus, the media are worse than any employer once they smell blood in the water.
You don't care so much that you couldn't help yourself from posting about how much you don't care. Maybe by posting how much you don't care you'll find that special someone who will read how much you don't care and connect with you and then you can not care together. Wouldn't that be special. I hope it works out for you.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Aug 4, 2021, 15:05
Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 4, 2021, 15:05
Aug 4, 2021, 15:05

Well, VR spreading is a good thing. But... we'll still be getting content designed for facing a single direction. Ironically, once you go tether free, it is hard to look back, even though now you don't have a cord and it is easier to turn around in VR.

Oh.. turns out Sony is focusing on content that can be played both with and without VR. Because the best gaming experience are always ones that try to support multiple input types... they never feel like crappy ports or that you method of choice is a second hand supported style.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Aug 3, 2021, 16:02
Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2021, 16:02
Aug 3, 2021, 16:02

HP should release a 4k monitor 37 inches or greater, and also add gsync support and real HDR support. Then they will have ticked all the boxes I am looking for in my next monitor upgrade.

Re: etc.
Aug 1, 2021, 16:20
Re: etc. Aug 1, 2021, 16:20
Aug 1, 2021, 16:20

Gaming industry isn't a difficult software industry because the work is hard. It is a difficult because the managers that work in the gaming industry don't know how to make games and the managers leverage their employee's passion to be in the industry so that the managers can get away with taking advantage of them. This management style attracts other bad managers, and sends these businesses on the path towards self destruction.

Re: Morning Multiplex
Jul 14, 2021, 15:50
Re: Morning Multiplex Jul 14, 2021, 15:50
Jul 14, 2021, 15:50

Ooof, Replica Studios were trying to show off their lip sync tech? Whose going to tell them?

I applaud the effort, but not a great showing. =X

Re: Game Reviews
Jul 8, 2021, 15:37
Re: Game Reviews Jul 8, 2021, 15:37
Jul 8, 2021, 15:37

"DOOM game"...

[Takes a look]

Oh, reviewer meant: "FPS game"

These reviewers these days...

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jul 6, 2021, 20:37
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 6, 2021, 20:37
Jul 6, 2021, 20:37

US government upholding its long standing tradition of ignoring contracts and treaties they have entered into.

I get that Drumpf was involved, but it wasn't because Microsoft got him involved; it was just a spiteful move from a child towards Amazon's CEO who also has a stake in the Washington Post that had a tendency to report honestly on Drumpf. So now Microsoft loses this business two years after they have entered into this contract and with it goes any planning or investment Microsoft has done towards fulfilling this contract. Hopefully, Microsoft hadn't actually done any work for it yet or changed its business yet to fill this contract, or there is some other detail I'm missing where Microsoft isn't being extremely put out by the cancelation of the contract, otherwise Microsoft probably has ground to sue to reclaim loses entailed due to all of the shenanigans. What a fluster cuck.
58 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older