Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Maniac

Real Name Maniac   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Maniac
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 18, 2012, 11:06
Total Comments 41 (Suspect)
User ID 57561

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns
8. Re: Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns Sep 16, 2016, 12:00 Maniac

Ah, check Terrorist Hunt, that is the bot killing part of the game. Either solo or with others.

And then it's either casual with others or ranked gaming.

NPC hunting is p2p with one of the players hosting and Casual/Ranked is running via dedicated servers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns Sep 16, 2016, 06:33 Maniac

Game has been much fun for the 3-4 months I've played it. Mainly when you play it in with friends. Ranked with randoms is pure lottery where you mainly loose.

I enjoy that every game is different, because operator choices, player skill set differ. Have not grown tired of it yet, which is surprising because its just tactican non-cod shooter with nothing extra.

Support is getting better, battleye brought many people back, so the season start brought even more players to the game as there were initially, that is quite impressive.

http://steamcharts.com/app/359550#All

There are bugs ofcourse with the broken netcode being the biggest issue that they have not yet figured out. They broke it few patches ago.

Latest patch brought some change to gadgets used by both sides, boosted/nerfed some operators while some still waiting for tweaks.

But starter kit wise just keep away from it, go to some website that aggregates all the key sellers and buy the game for 20 bucks/euros and be done with it. If you really like the game after that, go for the season pass OR buy the Gold edition for 30 bucks/euros right away, get best bang for buck. The grind to get new operators is very tedious with the starter kit and I have a friend who was gifter this starter kit and well he is not very amused when people joined way later and unlocked everything a lot sooner. for that few bucks difference it's just not worth it.

As you can see from this thread, it's a love or hate kind of a game, but the player base seems more mature on average and that makes it more fun.

I am not sure how it's possible, but it does feel like Ubisoft is actually trying to make the game better. I do wonder is this has something to do with the upcoming Vivendi hostile takeover bid.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
98. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 06:53 Maniac

The latter part in this thread got real "wall of texty" but my thinking is that how about we wait for the 3.0 and then see what state the game is. I've given up on the PU being feature ready in the next few years (I don't consider systems features) but 3.0 will be a huge improvement for what the game is in it's current state (playability wise)

I last looked at the game in 2.3 I think and just read about the rest. The sneak peek for v3.0 ruined any interest for the 2.5/2.6

3.0 for me is the MVP for getting my friends together and actually trying out the game for longer than an hour.
I have my doubts about this happening at the end of the year. Just too many new (and some technically difficult) features they putting together into one bundle. Maybe the avocados get to try it out.

I expect the 24 player limit to go much higher (but got no ideas what is feasible for their 1.0 version of the netcode). We will get professions, missions, many planets/moons/stations to mess around on. AI should populate the space. Then it starts to feel like a small persistent sandbox. And then they will iterate on all those freshly released features, maybe add a few extra and iterate on those. It's a process and it takes time. It will probably take even more time than we are ready to admit, partly due to CR's absurdly high requirements on quality.

I myself had no real expectations on the demo shown to us, but after it was over I was smiling. When this all hits the PU live server we will have fun. There will be initial set of tools we can use and create our own emergent gameplay. I just hope they will make multi-crew ships work better too (turret improvements + co-pilot actually having something useful to do)

I just hope getting missions will not involve running for 5 minutes and waiting at the elevators cursing at someone who jammed the upper floor elevator door with a can. Though at first that's exactly what probably will happen. So here is hoping there will be quick mission terminals too and only few special cinematic missions.

I hope Citizencon in october will be content packed. SQ42 should get lot of limelight and little more of 3.0 with the planetary tech 2.0 + actual dev build footage of that "living system"

Meanwhile Rainbow Six Siege is damn sweet and NMS does tickle my exploration sense (the mods are starting to be quite useful) so I ain't got no time to dwell on SC's lack of progress.

It will get there eventually and having a pragmatic mindset on the matter will help a lot.

News Comments > Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game
26. Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 6, 2016, 09:53 Maniac

CJ_Parker wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:57:
Maniac wrote on May 5, 2016, 08:50:
For me Galaxies was fun until NGE revamp. I actually remember being a white crystal scavenger on Dagobah and felt like a fisherman coming back to the starport and jedies paying handsomely for my catch as soon as I arrived.

You remember some very weird stuff... are you on drugs or just booze?

Hint: There was no Dagobah in SWG.

Indeed on I was on vodka & energy drink. Also the planet I was thinkign was Dathomir. So much for my SW rep.

News Comments > Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game
16. Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 08:50 Maniac

Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2016, 23:14:

Yeah I'd kill for a proper SP RPG like that. I remember how hyped I was for Galaxies to be that in MMO form. And for a few days it really was like I was Wookie smuggler and then it quickly turned to MMO crap. ToR didn't even try to fulfill the R in the MMORPG acronym, it was just WoW formula in spaaaace.

For me Galaxies was fun until NGE revamp. I actually remember being a white crystal scavenger on Dagobah and felt like a fisherman coming back to the starport and jedies paying handsomely for my catch as soon as I arrived.

Also was super nice community back then. Remember paying 20mil for a chance to buy a watermelon off of a true genuine beginner asking about how to make money and start a career in Galaxies and only had a watermelon to sell. Action was done, many laughs were had. Good times.

And enough of nostalgia for today

As for the Respawn game I will remain skeptical until I see something more on the matter. for me TFA already spoiled the setting. If they were to do something in the EP 4-6 or between 3 and 4 I would love. But right now too little information.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews May 3, 2016, 19:26 Maniac

I almost forgot this game had decided to push forward until I got the steam key in mail. Been a long long time in the making (since august 2012 I think when I supported it on indiegogo).

This build took a long time to load into the game and the menu was atrocious. Fired up the tutorial, got fed up by how unfinished it still looked (it's been almost 4 years now), pressed alt-f4 and the game did not quit because that key combo was used in game and i could not find an exit

I did support it for the original idea it had, but right now I think it's better to wait until its out of EA. Might take a few more years.

Edit: steam reviews are not painting a nice picture of the current status either.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Teaser Trailer?
11. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Teaser Trailer? May 2, 2016, 05:57 Maniac

VaranDragon wrote on May 2, 2016, 03:04:
nin wrote on May 1, 2016, 16:14:
RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2016, 15:33:
New doom 3 trailer, cool.

Honestly, from what I've seen of doom...I'd take a 3 millionth COD over it...

Thats low, jumping on the hate bandwagon when what we've seen so far from Doom was very little. Did you see the last single player gameplay session?

If you have not noticed before then then the community here dislikes changes to formulas that used to work (15-20+ years) before . Also they like to hate games, it bands them together for a common cause.

But Doom4 for me too was not what I was expecting. That or maybe their approach of "something old and something new" put together just did not work for me.

Quite a few games this year I have crossed of my list that I would not have before.

News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
33. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 18, 2016, 09:49 Maniac

I actually loved the game. Though I was never a console player, when Sony had their PS3 cracked, I got the console. I did think "yay, lots of interesting games to play on my 1080p TV for free".

There indeed were many games, none were 1080p and mostly it was "meh" for me. As a fully fledged PC gamer I did not really like em. But RDR was different. I actually enjoyed hunting. It was the first thing I did in the game, hunting deer, even shot down an eagle (pure luck).

It was a challenge for me and initially I did wonder how other people made it look so easy.

Then I found the auto-aim button.

Coming from PC background I did not expect it. So yeah the game was hard and fun for the first hour or so

I also hope RDR2 will have a proper PC port, but it's RDR, we might get it 5 years after initial release.

News Comments > The Division Beta Claims Record
18. Re: The Division Beta Claims Record Feb 23, 2016, 03:06 Maniac

After playing the CB I loaded into OB, ran around for 5 minutes and discovered I really did not care for it that much anymore. I was alone this time, usually we had squad full of friends.

Will check how the game is after a month and then decide.

News Comments > Project Legion Dead; DUST 514-Inspired PC Shooter Planned
7. Re: Project Legion Dead; DUST 514-Inspired PC Shooter Planned Feb 9, 2016, 09:45 Maniac

Sony footing part of the development costs probably had something to do with it as well.

But still idea was great, both games talking to each other on limited way via API.

Here is a nice video explaining it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_eKD29L6g

News Comments > Project Legion Dead; DUST 514-Inspired PC Shooter Planned
4. Re: Project Legion Dead; DUST 514-Inspired PC Shooter Planned Feb 9, 2016, 03:57 Maniac

Kxmode wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 01:56:
EVE is such a large galaxy. What's so special about DUST 514?

Mainly another layer in the MMO, but they ruined the idea by having a PC only MMO have a console addon game. IMO if they had done it for PC, there would have been more players and emergent gameplay and CCP would probably have expanded on the idea. Put something really valuable in the dust game setting that would have somehow transfered to EVE you would have had huge fleet battles over the planet dust people were fighting on and sniping each others destroyers that would have proved support on the ground.

Of course not sure how they would have handled the time dilation that EVE brought in to "fix" the lag issue.

So I do hope Legion will have some EVE integration in it, otherwise is quite pointless to have yet another shooter.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition
43. Re: Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition Feb 8, 2016, 03:55 Maniac

For me after I got got the magnetic weapons the game started to crash quite often. Before it (and I did a restart after ca 5-6h) there was not issues. I deleted my game profile (kept savegames), but still problems continue. Annoying as hell. Only thing I changed was initial squad size from 4 to 6 (so total of 8 in the end) and enabled the mods that came with launch.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2016, 04:02 Maniac

Funnily enough enjoyed the Division more than I expected too. No DZ without friends though, when one of us was solo away from the others he got ganked pretty quickly. But it was fun, except when things got crowded and suddenly there were many accidental rogues.

Hate the inventory UI, combat will get really repetitive, aiming sucks (right click into aim mode, press tab and experience a momentary loss of vision when scope mode is enabled, reorient yourself).

Loved the weather effects. We had an almost accidental rogue incident where I needed to hide from other for ~ 10 sec and very low visibility snow storm helped a lot at that time.

After few days of playing it was felt by our small team that we may end up buying it, but not pre-order.

XCOM2 this week will be fun fun fun I hope people will mod the hell out of it with interesting ideas.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap
18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Roadmap Jan 27, 2016, 07:49 Maniac

Armengar wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 07:39:
but by that time there will be no one to play with. Look at the stats, the game is dieing already.

http://swbstats.com/

For PC during workday means max 9k players and currently little under 4k. Yikes.

Peeked into bf4 (I know they are really not comparable, but still) and 33k and 17k respectively.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 26, 2016, 08:23 Maniac

I have never really looked behind the WTF is this or that game and few podcasts so I really have enjoyed what he has to say.

So this makes me sad that he wont be around anymore in a couple of years.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews SC spiral Jan 26, 2016, 08:13 Maniac

Didn't most of the locals whiner here protest initally against SM anyway? So now it's "omg it's not released, this is bullshit" time? So you just need a random reason to explode? gotcha :D. I just took a look at the summary on reddit and it said that SM will arrive at one point as a minigame. Cool with that. And that they are adding the features to the PU as the get ready.

For me the FPS has never been important. Though yes I get it that for boarding actions we will need it and it's it's in preliminary form it's working on baby PU. We can walk, EVA, board, shoot each other. Sure I presume there are lot of features still missing from the SM branch, but they will eventally find their way to PU.

Now before you all cry "mismanagement of funds" it's a part of development.I'm sure you all are perfect devs here in your mind, but in reality if you were given similar opportunities, you would probably just fail similarly. It's just part of the process.

For me more important would be easier way to get on server as a group, turret fixes, some dynamic content etc. Persistence.

InBlack wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 02:48:
Where are all the Blues cultists defending their vaporware? Did we luck out and get them all to quit visiting Blues out of resentment and disgust?

Just curious, whats there to defend? I mean the game is a complete fantasy full of JPG ships and people hallucinating that they have had a lot of fun flying around in a alpha gameplay environment. I mean I had this very vivid dream probably that I flew around with my friends and explored this cool dark space station that had no gravity. And I think I was enjoying myself immensly. Damn wish it was true though, because according to you it's a dream. It must have been right?

So when it's all make belief, no need to defend it. I just find myself laughing how badly some people need something to hate. You dont really need a reason. If the news is good from SC you just belittle it or just plain shut up and wait for a news like this to appear so you can have you gloaty 15 seconds. There you had it.
Enjoy.

If the studio should just close shop tomorrow I would be sad probably. All the drama, BN here would totally explode with "I told you so etc", but I would not miss the money invested. Probably because I never invested it in the shiny ships rather than a dream.
I actually dont' really like what Connie has become or how pointless it is to fly the retaliator right now without gunners (and gunnery sucks as well in this iteration)

I'll repost this oldie but a very goodie video. If you understand what's its saying and you still feel the need to find a way to troll people, then it's just your way of venting I presume. I drink after work, you troll BN star citizen threads. I get it. Whatever floats your goat.

Star Citizen - A promise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAt8tg-8co

For me the video sums up why I supported the game and still do.

Edit: words.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2016, 08:27.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
32. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Jan 16, 2016, 10:30 Maniac

Just game wise the 2.1 is quite a bit more stable than 2.0 I managed to fly with a friend for couple of hours and CTD happened around 3h mark.

Still random bugs like ship repairing sometimes killing you, occasional ejections.

No slowdowns anymore due to AI pirate spawning (or whatever the issue was before).

I did my share of hopping onto other player ships to copilot, turret them, but nothing much to do there atm.

Turrets are still pretty unusable. While pilot can see pirates easily on overview in turrets you just see green targets. on some ships you can cycle and see in status window who you are targeting. in some ships it does not work.

Super Hornet turret is still super slow to turn, so completely unusable.

Doing the Covalex "glowing pad hunt" mission together shows the other guy twitching around in EVA mode.

Arena Commander supposedly took a dive for the worst with people crashing quite often.

So in summary: PU is better, but nothing to get much invested in yet. probably will take another few hour look when 2.2 hits live.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
17. Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:40 Maniac

Kxmode wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 00:07:
For the Rift I would need to upgrade my CPU, video card and mobo; basically a system upgrade. Total cost for me would be around $1,500+. I'm not willing to do that. Vive is kind of my last hope. If the min specs require a system upgrade I'm passing on VR all together.

If the both VR sets have similar resolutions then why should the hardware requirements on the CPU/GPU differ? Or did Vive have a lower fps requirement than rift?

I have a 3 year old rig with 970 from last year an still feel the need to upgrade even for Vive. All depending on Pascal performance when they release it, but the hard fact is that while you probably can play the simple graphics VR demos, getting a nice experience with via VorpX on actual games means your machine ought to pull a decent 75/90 fps at VR resolutions.

And yes the whole VR upgrade will easily be 1500+ on the VR/GPU alone. no to mention mobo/cpu/ram (i7 seems to be viable these days and SC seems to be "optimized" for it these days. Cannonlake is rumored to have more that 4 cores).

Also would like to just mention that what really annoyed many was in reality the fact that we got sucker punched by the price at the pre-order page when you needed to make a quick decision or see your delivery date slip by months and then many like me just noped out.

Had they given the prices out couple of days in advance people might have gotten over the shock and may have still spammed F5 on pre-sale time.

Vive will probably cost same ballpark or even more. If a lot more and they announce the price before pre-sale, again people can get over the shock, look over their finances and decide if they want to be the early adopters or maybe wait for the next gen. If price for the set is similar to rift people will probably cancel rift order em masse. If lower then everyones happy.

And getting itdepends on the games as well what you going to play. If all you do is play sims where VR is very useful it's probably worth it, but if its just the demos and few simple arcades etc then it's just an expensive novelty item that you will soon put on ebay to get rid off.

Anyhuu, we'll find out 29th of february (had to actually check if we have that this year :D)

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:24:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
I keep reading that HTC is teetering on financial ruin as their cell phone sales have dried up.

I currently own a HTC M8. Best phone Ive ever had.

HTC CEO Cher Wang: "We had to rethink phones as a company. VR is more important."

HTC is currently heavily betting on VR, seems even dropping phones is an option depending on how the near future plays out.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2016, 08:51 Maniac

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 11:04:
741 ....
At that price in EU it's dead before it even launched. For reference, a bleeding edge 6GB 980TI costs 680 to 709 here...

Massively bummed on that price.. that is actually insanely expensive for a gadget you might not actually be able to physically use, and you won't know until you tried..

My main issue was that the price shock happened when you either booked fast or get your toy months later. If they had told the price few days before they would have gotten possibly more orders.

Right now it seems that Vive will be even more expensive, but paradoxically people might be more willing to buy it (unless they surprise with 1000+ euro price tag)

Also for me this was first time I wanted something after the euro price crashed from 1.2 to 1.09, it shows. it used to be that US price without taxes was EU price with taxes.

And they supposedly delivering the VR's from ireland and everyone got the same VAT. ideally it would have been a little cheaper for some.

Vive pre-order coming out next month so .. cya then?

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
21. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 8, 2016, 08:42 Maniac

Slashman wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:44:
I played EVE for a year and a half or so and never got podded. And this is even though I frequently went into low sec space on my own personal trade runs and frequently mined in low sec space with friends or alone.

That first sentence got my attention (no podding in a 18month career, impressive) but then I kept reading. Trading and mining in high/low sec and never tasted the real sweetness of zero zero where the real profits and adrenaline rushes were. For fun, care to share your ingame char name so we can see what were up to on the killboards and if there really is no pods losses?

And if not and you really did not get podded it was probably because it's harder to catch one in you are not specifically after it.

Not trying to troll you, just my EVE PTSD kicked in again played for a long time with both PVP and market to keep my pvp habit financed. Good times until the adrenaline rush was no longer there then it was time to quit (+ damn real life)

Regarding Valkyrie, it seems to be an arcadeish shooter. I read somewhere that CCP devs did the proof of concept really fast after the first Oculus dev kits were given out and CCP deemed it good enough for a separate project.

Loved the trailer they showed, but right now it already looks "optimized"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4gpjwJa08

41 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo