Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3198 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
3. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 20, 2017, 22:44 Slick

Yeah, I never got past the 5-hour mark, although it seemed it was starting to really open up, I just had different priorities. Might be too far gone to go back now, but I remember being thoroughly impressed by the soundtrack, voice-acting, and general spunk.  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback
6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 20, 2017, 21:01 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 20:35:
Wall Street is confused.

They pretty much force companies of this size into micro-trans, but then they bite them for it like this. I guess they are saying, we want you to do it, but you have to be more clever at it, you can't let the blind see it.

EA you live by the Wall Street you die by the Wall Street.

I'd say they "Live by the public company, die by the public company"

If they were private, none of this would be an issue. They'd never have to push a game through the door to hit a release window even if it's still falling apart. Working on "Valve time" is got to be nice.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 20, 2017, 18:09 Slick

VERY COOL!

Been waiting for a pair of gloves like this to get past the vibrating "faux haptics" that everyone else seems to use. If this really works as advertised, once it becomes a consumer product I'll be the first to jump on it.

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
35. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:00 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:55:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:39:

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

That's actually a genius fix.

So I can play with or against a party of 6 people who have just banked a ton of BP for the last week, to just hog all the heroes in a server for a couple hours? No, it would be terrible.

Like I said, the system in ET:QW was a good compromise, your "BP" accrues throughout a 2-3 map campaign, and is lost when exiting the server or the campaign ends.

33. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:34 Slick

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:23:
Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:16:
Hmm, it's not really a creative idea though, it's a bean-counter idea.

And I doubt most texture artists, modelers, sound designers, level designers etc. etc. etc. would even know that their work was going to be trampled upon until the closing months before launch, there wouldn't be any reason for them to know. It would probably only hurt morale.

Exactly. It's how the mid-level mangement justifies their drawing a salary.

Bill from Accounting: How can we make more on these games?
Dave from Marketing: Monetize the shit out of these mofos!
Bill from Accounting: Won't that piss off most of the playerbase?
Dave from Marketing: Fuck those sheep! They'll eat our shit out of a bowl and call it Ice Cream if it's got Star Wars on it!
Bill from Accounting: Yeah, I dunno about that man.

Sure, I just don't consider marketers and accountants to be "leads at EA" I consider the DICE producers to be leads. The rest of them are just bean counters.

27. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:16 Slick

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:54:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:45:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 13:26:
I feel very sorry for the developers who worked on the game. Can you imagine the countless hours they put in only to deal with this? The decision to implement aggressive micro-transaction likely wasn't theirs. They just did as they were told.

Right, this is it exactly. I'm sure the devs did not want to build this shit out. They know it makes the game worse.

It also gives them a higher bonus.
The leads at EA are fully bought in on this and the ones coming up with the creative ideas.

Hmm, it's not really a creative idea though, it's a bean-counter idea.

And I doubt most texture artists, modelers, sound designers, level designers etc. etc. etc. would even know that their work was going to be trampled upon until the closing months before launch, there wouldn't be any reason for them to know. It would probably only hurt morale.

22. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:45 Slick

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:39:
Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:29:
I think the biggest change is the earning heroes mechanic in a Galactic Assault match. If you're not first out of the gate or have a few good killstreaks, you're not going to get a hero that match. And even if you do get one they're incredibly brittle, not at all like in the last game. It kind of makes your progress feel semi-wasted to spawn as Maul and get 2 kills then just get smoked by 3 guys with blasters.

Yeah, that was my main concern in the beta. You have to be pretty darn good to get to play a top tier hero, because the 5000 BP is a pretty significant chunk to get. The majority of players will never get to that, so they instead get to spawn as fodder for the few good players who get to exterminate the fodder with Maul etc.

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

Hmm... howabout a 2-3 map campaign like in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? So your points accrue across 2-3 maps. I think that being able to bank points indefinitely will cause issues. I could just bank 100,000 points then spawn as 15 Mauls in a row to fuck with people. Would be pretty funny tho...

Actually another solution would be just as different mode with 3x rewards, or like one week per month everyone gets 3x rewards... ionno. Maul is fucking garbage btw, can't block. I'm starting to really like Rey because she has a reliable wallhack ability, and a block, so you can actually stay alive for more than 30 seconds.

19. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:29 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:17:
No amount of adjustments to their lootcrate system can make up for the fact that they made a shallow game that won't hold peoples attention for more than a week or two.

lots of reddit posts about being bored of the game already. By the time they get around to discounting the game in a few weeks multiplayer will be a "waiting for player to join" simulator.

I kinda understand that feeling, but It's more that I'm just burned out on shooters in general.

It's definitely the only shooter I'm booting up nowadays, the gunplay is solid, the maps are beautiful and very detailed, and there's really a lot of content to go through, like 19 maps I think. The SP campaign, Arcade mode and Starfighter mode are all bonuses for me, as I'm usually just an infantry guy.

I think the biggest change is the earning heroes mechanic in a Galactic Assault match. If you're not first out of the gate or have a few good killstreaks, you're not going to get a hero that match. And even if you do get one they're incredibly brittle, not at all like in the last game. It kind of makes your progress feel semi-wasted to spawn as Maul and get 2 kills then just get smoked by 3 guys with blasters.

This is the first time that DICE have used a system similar to CoD's killstreaks, that I always criticized. It was by definition giving the best stuff to the people who needed it the least.

I mean it's balanced, there's no OP heroes, and it's probably good that there aren't, but I kinda wanna just go ham with a lightsaber and get 20 kills in a row like in SWBF2015.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 20, 2017, 15:17 Slick

The Franken news is saddening. But what's honestly worse is that the left seems incapable of forgiving. Franken has done truly great work in his 12 years in the Senate. People fuck up. They should be shamed for a bit, but if they're sincere and it's obvious that they're not a bad person, I don't think forgiveness should be that hard to come by.

I mean the first incident (only one that seems legit at the moment), he was on a USO tour taking a dumb picture trying to get a rise out of some soldiers. We all know people in uniform (men and women) can have a crass sense of humour, they're living in extreme conditions, it's not the most PC place in the world. He was trying to play to his audience and misjudged. The picture shows him mockingly groping, not actually groping. People who actually grope don't usually pose for pictures during the act...

16. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:10 Slick

Rhett wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 13:29:
Dang, this took a 180. Still, the damage is done. I won't let my friends buy it either. @_@

You know that there haven't been any changes in a week right? It was before launch that they changed the hero credit requirements. I find it suspect that the narrative is "the damage is done" when it was technically fixed before the game launched.

There's still work that needs to be done on progression, but it seems like that's their next priority. Anyone who's played a DICE game in the last decade knows that they're usually a bit of a mess on launch, but they have good post-launch support.

Also, "I won't let my friends buy it either" is quite preachey. I generally don't tell my friends what they're allowed to buy. Adults can generally make up their own minds on the big issues of the day, you know, like what video games to buy.

10. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 12:35 Slick

Oh man I forgot about black ops 3. The highest damage guns were locked behind these random crates that were suuuuper rare. People dropped $200 on crates and didn't get one high level weapon. I even bought the season pass which gave me one guaranteed high level weapon, I just had to win 75 matches first. I never finished that assignment.

That was fucking bad. At least star wars had no cards to boost gun damage or raise HP. Other than starfighters.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 02:29 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 02:22:
That EA canned Viscerals Solo Star-Wars game (and killed Visceral in the process, not to mention what EA forced down our throats with the mess that was dead space 3..) after 4 years of development tells you everything ye need to know about EA.

EA ruined a perfectly good niche game that could have become a regular earner, instead they brought down the ENTIRE deadspace IP. And no doubt the managers at EA got fat checks for that.

I don't know, when a AAA game gets a trilogy it's not the end of the world for it to be killed off. I don't think we need more recurring franchises and endless sequels. The studio did good work and should have been given a chance to make a new IP. Bungie moved on from Halo. Bioware Edmonton moved on from Mass Effect. I'm fine with that in principle. The world needs less sequels.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 02:27 Slick

There is some talk on the reddit that it was actually Disney that encouraged the initial change to this MTX format. Not that EA probably had any objections. It's just interesting how we'll probably never know which bean counter working at what mega corp called for it, but they fucked up pretty hard.

Can't wait for the MP credit reward to get boosted, grind is slowing down a lot, even though I honestly don't have much I really care to unlock. for 300 star cards, I've found maybe 15 that I think are useful for any classes/heroes I play.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Launches
77. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 21:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 20:36:
MrGrosser wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 18:25:
I'm hearing they're taking the loot crates out completely after all this backlash. Bad news.. they're going into The Last Jedi.

Apparently we need buy star cards to unlock all the acts of the movie.
They have to make up the lost income somewhere.

I don't even think it's lost income, as the game itself could make a billion in the first quarter. It's more about sustainable income so they can justify continuing to build content for free.

It's pretty dumb, but seem to just be a side-effect of the way public companies operate.

74. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 19:23 Slick

Great reddit post that sums up all the bullshit with this "movement"

There are real problems with progression, but that has spawned this cascade of lies, disinformation, and FUD across the galaxy. It's staggering. Anyone who enjoys the game gets downvoted into oblivion and harassed, having people PM them spoilers or threaten to dox.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 18, 2017, 18:06 Slick

Blu brand got pulled from Amazon a couple months ago for confirmed Chinese spyware included in hardware. Beware, there's a reason why they're cheap as fuck.

I have a Zuk Z2 Pro, which is a division of Lenovo, so I trust them at least.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 17, 2017, 19:32 Slick

AS an Amazon seller myself, I can fully confirm this kind of bullshit goes on all the time, everyday. Seller support is so laughably bad it's RETARDED. The most you can do is find an email address to send a complain to, and HOPE they care enough to do something, most of the time nothing happens, even when someone is infringing your shit, or fucking with you in any way.

It's the wild west, and there's no sheriff.

54. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 17:42 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:29:
Yes, yes, we're all quite triggered. Back to the game, reviews seem to be agreeing with some of the folks here, saying the gameplay itself is rather meh! Pretty graphics, appreciable novelty for Star Wars fans, but not a particularly good game. Metacritic score currently in the mid-70s. Basically, wouldn't be much to write home about even if it didn't involve any loot crate nonsense. RIP.

Gameplay isn't worse, it's just a lot slower. Much more the pace of something like Battlefield. You have to check your corners all the time, can't go Rambo like you could in 2015 with a jetpack and the insta-heal nade.

I kinda miss the old gameplay, but a lot of people complained that it was too fast-paced. So there you have it, one of a dozen things they "fixed" from the first game. Even if I don't agree with this one in particular, they did it because of people complaining loudly.

53. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 17:39 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:01:
They also didn't have a "buy me now" button for booster packs in Battlefield 3.

I think there's one in Battlefield 1 but it's buried in the menus.

Well they had promos where buying SlimJims got you battlepacks, and Mountain dew too I think... I knew a guy who bought a case of slimjims to get battlepacks lol.

ANYWAYS

The MTX shit isn't the problem, that's what's bankrolling development for all future content for all players without having to buy a season pass.

The PROBLEM is that progression is fucking broken as fuck, for people playing "normally" and for people who bought packs. That's where the outrage really should be. There's no reason to not get scrap for duplicates, and no reason to not be able to grind specific classes you play for starcards for those classes.

Once they fix that I'll be happy. Couldn't really give a fuck if 0.01% of gamers wanted to throw money at a game they like. Like I said, without them we'd have a $60 game with a $50 season pass, like every DICE game for the past 10+ years... Segmented community, dead vanilla servers, and within months dead DLC servers... fuck that.

40. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 16:47 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:02:
I still don't see how this game is sooo dramatically different from any of the recent Battlefield games that this grants such and earth shattering outcry.

EA uses booster packs, battlepacks, fudge packs in their games since forever. They have the pay real money to unlock all weapons in just about all their recent BF games, yet it wasn't such a huge deal until now.
Is it the booster cards that tips the balance so much?

I am not defending EA just curious. Just about everything people are complaining about in Battlefront 2 can be found in all previous Battlefield games in recent years

You can just play in any previous game and unlock things. BF1 was a bit annoying, in that you had to 'select' certain unlocks to grind per round, but there were NO time based caps on experience or any experience caps. SWBF2 has both of those.

All previous games had all the unlocks available in game, through regular play, sometimes of different modes. The only randomized drops were cosmetic. In SWBF2, game changing(opinions will vary on the impact, but they are gameplay altering changes) can only be had through randomized drops, which will take THOUSANDS of hours(based on beta play estimates) to unlock, or the use of real money to buy them. On top of that, keep in mind experience is capped per game, and per day(time based), so the real time period will be much longer.

BF4 was probably the best unlock grinding system to date by DICE. You could unlock multiple things simultaneously, the goals were mostly realistic, and they still had pay unlocks for people who wanted shortcuts, but nothing was really overpowered.

BF1 got worse, can only effectively unlock one thing at a time, there are sequential steps preventing you from unlocking in natural gameplay(sometimes) and there is a lot of randomized cosmetic crap to sift through.

SWBF unlocks were annoying, but honestly I find the gameplay boring enough that I didn't even bother grinding that much. Other SWBF players can comment more on that. The idea of the Hut contracts and other unlock paths weren't too terrible though.

SWBF2 seems to be doubling down on the mistakes of BF1 and SWBF, most notably with obscene exp requirements, and then adding the exp caps per round and per day. Not player friendly, and not something one would hope for from a team that theoretically has half a dozen unlock-grinding games under their belt already.

tl,dr: Boycott, vote with your wallet.

What about 2011's Battlefield 3 where you could only get certain attachments/mods to your guns through %100 random battlepacks?

People seem to forget that shit quickly...

3198 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo