Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3471 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 3, 2018, 20:19 Slick

I think that 3D without glasses is the wrong approach. 3D with a higher frame rate and active-shutter glasses is the way to go, as it cuts down on the gross cross-talk and super blurry response of the passive 3D system they use now. The problem is that the theatre would have to maintain all the glasses, keep them charged, and make sure people don't steal them... :/  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week
10. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 02:11 Slick

I think it's obvious that at least for right now, they aren't going to dare adding lootboxes or any kind of actual or perceived P2W elements. It's all about cosmetics. Fortnite makes 300m a month with cosmetics only, there is real data to show that this works, they're just adapting to it.

The only downside is that people will get angry about "wacky" cosmetics ie. the whole BF V debacle. Personally, I'll take no season pass, no split community, and continuing support in exchange for essentially "hats". But some people would rather get mad at goofy hats instead... can't see the big picture.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

7. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 00:45 Slick

It's funny if you swap "destiny clone" with "The Division clone" all of a sudden you have my attention. And they're all really Boarderlands-clones. Just with emergent multiplayer with more than your group of 4 at a time. Same shit though. Open world co-op loot shooter. Except this time in Frostbite and with jetpacks in what looks to be a beautiful world... that sounds good to me.  

1. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 1, 2018, 21:36 Slick

This game looks good. I hope they don't fuck it up.  

News Comments > Overload Released
1. Re: Overload Released May 31, 2018, 20:55 Slick

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIT!

I just finished reading Ernest Cline's "Armada" and all I was thinking of was playing Descent back in the day. I've been waiting for this title for years, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. WOO HOO!

News Comments > Battlefield V System Specs
12. Re: Battlefield V System Specs May 29, 2018, 16:09 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on May 29, 2018, 14:51:
Kind of silly as none of these games are cpu bound unless of course you have a 10 year old computer. You have to wonder about the pea brains that decided they needed a 6600.

I'm hoping that they push DX12 hard with this title, I remember a DICE dev saying 2 years ago that they wanted EA to force their next title to be DX12-ONLY so they could just focus development on the superior api. Plus from the sounds of it all these buildable things, and destructible things are more of a CPU thang.

But if we're being honest, the Minimum specs for any fucking game is the weak link in the chain, the Xbox One. Until we get to next-gen with Ryzen, all gameplay will still have to run on current consoles. So don't expect crazy CPU shit anything soon.

News Comments > Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency
20. Re: Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency May 25, 2018, 18:12 Slick

Also, if you want to see some of the cool new gameplay that JackFrags talks about in that 20 minute+ video, he did a trailer breakdown where you actually see some of the cool shit (that I totally missed on the first viewing). I think that most people assumed the first half of the video was just a cutscene, but it was actually showing off the real new animations and mechanics that is pure gameplay.  

19. Re: Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency May 25, 2018, 18:08 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 25, 2018, 16:29:
I hate to post a link to any youtube video, but this one contains a ton of BFV gameplay info. The actual gameplay changes sound great! If it turns out at all like these descriptions, BFV could be amazing.

Jackfrags' video

Let the hype begin!

Yeah, I've watched this video 3 times already. My erection still hasn't subsided. I emailed blue to post it somewhere as I think that people here really should see it if they're curious about this game at all.

What's strange is how he had this video ready to release right at the announcement, which means they purposefully are letting community members be the propagators of 90% of the REAL information about this game, considering they glossed over almost all of this shit in the official reveal. Kinda odd, but I can see the strategy behind it.

18. Re: Battlefield V to Feature Premium Currency May 25, 2018, 18:04 Slick

aka_STEVE wrote on May 25, 2018, 11:48:
as long as it's not weapons / perks/ nor maps - I'm fine with a company offering things to buy in game.

Oh, you mean like the last 4 Battlefield games? lol.

We've been able to buy "shortcut" packs for real money in BF3, BF4, BF:H, and BF1. Unlock all the guns in a kit for $5. Yup. Nobody ever cared. They only did it like 6 months after launch, so the only people who would ever buy them are people genuinely late to the party, as a way to catch up.

Anyways, cosmetics to fund post-launch ongoing development, maps, guns etc. is great. This is the best I could have hoped for. Looks like a lot of good actually came out of #lootboxgate.

The PROBLEM is that now they aren't announcing exactly how much post-launch support a game will get. We still have no idea WTF is happening with Battlefront's post-launch "live service", and if BF V goes in the same direction it could be a catastrofuck.

They need to tell gamers exactly what they can expect (not particulars of maps, but like the number of maps) if they choose to spend $10 on skins to support the game post-launch.

Anyways, getting rid of the season pass is a moment of glory we should all revel in, even if you don't play these games. That shit was stupid.

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
52. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:27 Slick

TheEmissary wrote on May 24, 2018, 19:11:
Osc8r wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:32:
theglaze wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:00:
TBH, if any FPS franchise could actually present a solid Battle Royale mode... it's this one!

Massive Maps and player count = A cornerstone of the franchise
Vehicles = Have your pick
Gun-play depth = Miles ahead of the other popular titles
Parachutes = Just pull the cord

Add in artillery barrages or gas attacks to simulate the safe zone, and they'd have the best Battle Royale mode on the market...

I guess we'll just have to settle for the normal BF experience: random public lobbies with ridiculously skilled team hogging the best vehicle (which no one can kill) and the endless cycle of spawn kiling.

Can't wait Blank

Exactly. Once they get disappointing sales and see all the continued success in the BR market hopefully they will wake up and do something different to the same old tired formula they've used for the past 15 years or so.

Battlefield does need innovation for its gameplay modes but it doesn't need to follow the BR trend. There are so many ways they could go such as dynamically changing objectives and scenarios. In my mind its hard to rationalize the existence of a mode that eliminates the teamplay for RNG free for all.

You sound like you haven't watched the Jack Frags video about all the new gameplay... it's like 20 minutes of HOLY FUCKING SHIT about every 30 seconds.

51. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:20 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 24, 2018, 08:49:
I'm happy there isn't much griping about the characters here. I'm not surprised to see it elsewhere, but it's so weird to me.

In Battlefield games, the setting is just about the tools you have, and even then, loosely. Nothing is historically accurate, as you always have weapons not available at the time or the location, and they act differently. And, of course, you're a grunt running around on the ground as an infantryman one moment and the next dashing to the airport to take a plane and do whatever the hell you want with it.

If having a female teammate ruins your immersion, but none of that does, how? And why? The point of Battlefield games is killing a lot of people without being killed, not to be immersed.

I agree fully, but I'll go a step further and defend their notion of being a very "immersive" experience. Accuracy =/= Immersion. I've been immersed in many games in my life, most of them were fictional, or didn't take the lore super seriously. I'd say Quake was one of the most immersive games I've ever played, and it wasn't because of the plot. Just like Battlefield, presentation and gameplay make up 90% of the immersion.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2018, 07:30.

50. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:16 Slick

DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 02:18:
If using a wrench to repair a bridge is just like Fortnite then yeah the ability to build reinforcement structures and repair things is exactly like it.

nevermind that you could do that in BF1942.

Sure could! And BF2.

Also, whoever said "Fortnite is exactly Battlefield just with building"... I don't know what you're on about. The cartoony 4-player co-op loot grinder FPS? I think you're thinking of Boarderlands... with building.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 25, 2018, 04:42 Slick

ItBurn wrote on May 25, 2018, 00:14:
I hate the Rage engine. It looks horrible up close and has crazy limitations.

That's because it was engineered for last gen consoles with 256MB of RAM.

The engine did one thing really really well, that I'm honestly devistated hasn't appeared in other engines. I'm talking of course, about Megatexturing. It did away with the gross tiling of textures that every other game uses. The artists could just create a mountain, with every inch being unique, instead of just tiled "rock" or "grass" textures. Modern games try to disguise this fact with an abundance of sprites like shrubbery and debris, but it's all the same fucking texture that's about 4mx4m. With Megatextures you just blanketed the whole map with one texture that was some ridiculous resolution like 2,000,000 x 2,000,000.

And of course getting this to work with consoles is why the "stuff looked bad up close", because the console was having a heart attack trying to stream that data every few miliseconds depending if you looked left or right. With enough RAM, this technology will change the way games look forever, I hope someone brings it back soon. To me this is just another future tech that poor decision making has relegated to the dustbin of gaming history, not unlike Aegia PhysX

*I remember Carmack saying that he was considering releasing the "ultra" texture pack for PC, but that it was several hundred gigabytes, and back then he doubted anyone would download it.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black May 24, 2018, 23:00 Slick

That sucks. I liked him, even though I strongly disagreed with some of his views, I still remember him saying that Assassins Creed Unity "looked like utter shit" lol.

Cancer is a cunt. My sister just got diagnosed with breast cancer. Triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma to be exact, it's about as shitty as you could never hope for. She is also 33 years old.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2018, 19:36 Slick

I used to work for a call center that basically offered that same Best Buy service, but through ISPs. So you have a problem with your computer, and you're a moron, so you think your ISP should fix it so you call to yell at them. You politely tell them that if there's a problem with your toaster, you don't bitch out the electric company, then we try to sell them a yearly service where they can call anytime (it's like a gym membership, they use it once or twice maybe). Then you tunnel in using LogMeIn and you run a de-branded version of malwarebtyes lol. Well there's actually a lot of tools me and some agent friends put on our local network to debug shit, but you quickly realise that you never have the chance. You have call times and chat times to worry about, you're overworked and underpaid. You have to be chatting to 4-5 customers online WHILE you're on the phone with someone else, keep them all updated or they get mad. Sometimes I juggled 10 of them. There's no time for your brain to devote to actual problem solving when you have to keep bouncing between cases every 30 seconds. So the service you get with these places is garbage, our main tool was literally the exact same version of Malwarebytes you can get for free. And some other shit that you can also get for free. It's dumb, but a good way to fleece money from suckers if you're a corporation.  

News Comments > Sunset Overdrive PC Listing
4. Re: Sunset Overdrive PC Listing May 23, 2018, 19:26 Slick

I have an xbox, but I this gameplay never inspired confidence in having a good time when using a controller. I don't understand how people play these twitchy-looking shooters on consoles. So yeah, a PC version would be tits. They'll probably release it with cross-compatibility too so that I can get it once for my xbox and PC, which is a seriously cool feature for this console. Doesn't make up for the fact it barely has any games worth playing, but it is a great feature.

Detroit comes out in 2 days on PS4... I'm desperately trying to find a friend to trade consoles with for a couple weeks

News Comments > EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud
5. Re: EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud May 23, 2018, 17:32 Slick

I miss renting old cartridges from my convenience store, and I love Netflix nowadays... That being said I've never really done EA access, cause there's nothing I really want, other than getting that sweet 10 hours early for $5 for a title I'm frothing over.

The real question is how the funds will be dispersed back to the game publishers, as this isn't going to just be EA games I'm guessing? In general I think the way we pay for games needs to change, but there's so many pitfalls... What if a publisher is paid by hours the gamer plays? That would encourage grindy bullshit. But what about the studio that makes a tight 8 hour singpleplayer game that cost 3 years of AAA development costs? This would be the perfect title to rent, but the worst title to actually make money back from? I'm sure there's a smart way forward, but it will take some good ideas.

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
52. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 16:32 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on May 23, 2018, 13:29:
Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 11:04:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2018, 10:23:
When games were good

I will take nearly any game today over Unreal and even Half Life.
And don't forget we're picking two legendary games from then, not even the awful rifraff like Chasm: The Rift. If we're doing that today, The Witcher 3 is better than any game from 1998. RDR is better than any game from 1998.

I agree. The Unreal kind of FPS was always a little too simple for me. The corridor run & gun usually got boring real quick.
I bought games like Unreal mostly for the technical qualities. It was amazing to experience the leaps in 3D graphics. Games like Unreal were nice tech demos but I never finished them (IIRC).

Half-Life was the first step in the right direction of a more story-driven experience, then another huge step with Deus Ex and nowadays most shooters luckily have a lot more to offer than just kaboom.

I like open world, I like the skills and perks we get in modern FPS games. Progression is more fun that way.

And in terms of technical advancements, they're not just fluff but they do contribute to gameplay directly in so far as richer, more detailed environments with lots of objects naturally increase the fidelity of the gameplay (more cover options, more vertical gameplay etc.).

I, for one, definitely do not wish for a revival of this super-simple run & gun corridor shooter style. I much prefer the variety of styles and actual stories we are getting in most modern shooters.
There are modern stinkers, of course, but it was the same back then, maybe even worse because the budgets and risks were much lower. We had some real garbage back then.

Maybe the best example for a positive evolution in the genre would be the Wolfenstein franchise. The original Wolf 3D was as awesome back in its day as was RtCW some 15 years ago and now TNO, TOB and TNC.
However, as awesome as Wolf 3D was in its day, I would never want original Wolfenstein gameplay back though.

Since when the fuck do you make so much sense? Your 80th birthday give you some wise old-man insight or something? I'm pretty sure in today's hipster wannabe gamer culture older always equals better. ALWAYS.

51. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 15:59 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 11:04:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2018, 10:23:
When games were good

I will take nearly any game today over Unreal and even Half Life.
And don't forget we're picking two legendary games from then, not even the awful rifraff like Chasm: The Rift. If we're doing that today, The Witcher 3 is better than any game from 1998. RDR is better than any game from 1998.

I also like cars with power steering over legacy models, but there's some to be said to ride around in something from the 1950's for an afternoon.

38. Re: Newer engine mods and Return to Na Pali? May 23, 2018, 08:07 Slick

VaranDragon wrote on May 23, 2018, 07:34:
Slick wrote on May 23, 2018, 06:40:
My favorite books I never read the last chapter...

That's kind of fucked up. Some of the best chapters are final chapters dude

I guess the blanket statement that I never read the last chapter isn't true. I mean I get past the climax obviously, and the meat of the denouement... but I often find myself leaving a good 5-10 pages unread. And it's not even a conscious decision, I just find myself not going back to it, even though I'll hold it in the highest regard.

3471 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo