Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3198 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 01:42 Slick

LittleMe wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 22:34:
60 Hz for 8K and 120 Hz for 4K. The standard also supports Dynamic HDR and resolutions up to 10K for commercial and specialty use.

This new version of the HDMI specification also introduces an enhanced refresh rate that gamers will appreciate. VRR, or Variable Refresh Rate, reduces, or in some cases eliminates, lag for smoother gameplay, while Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency. Quick Media Switching, or QMS, reduces the amount of blank-screen wait time while switching media. HDMI 2.1 also includes Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which automatically sets the ideal latency for the smoothest viewing experience.

Awesome. These are important for gaming! I wonder if nVidia will implement full 2.1 which would seemingly compete with gsync.

That's the $64,000 question.

Big Green has been hesitant to adopt the 2.0b(?) standard i think the one that allows for free-sync. So this will possibly kill their whole g-sync line.

Either way, this news should be the #1 post on BN IMO. This is big news.

Now we wait for CES 2018 to see the new screens that will adopt this, if they make it out in time (crosses fingers)

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 00:10 Slick

It's kind of funny how the first couple paragraphs are all bitching about how SWBF2015 had so little content, no SP campaign, new maps, few modes, and the season pass had more content than the vanilla core game, so you basically had to pay $60 for the game and $50 for the season pass.

And no mention about how SWBFII at the least fixed all of those particular problems.

Some consistency would be nice. The only problem with the game is the progression system, and that can be fixed. People would be more upset if it sent back to a season-pass system methinks.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > Saturday Patches
1. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 26, 2017, 03:44 Slick

Does it add a sense of pride and accomplishment by gutting everything in the franchise that made it interesting?

/snark

News Comments > More Boxing with Loot Boxing
8. Re: More Boxing with Loot Boxing Nov 24, 2017, 01:16 Slick

BULLSHIT.

that's right, I call bullshit.

There are 2 conversations that need to be happening:

1) Is actual or quasi pay2win mechanics good/moral/legal/for the children?

2) Lootbox progression.

Lootbox progression has been in gaming since the beginning...

Ask your grandpa about how he used to ROLL THE DIE to find out what loot he got playing DnD.

Give me a fucking break. Luck, Chance. These mechanics are fundamental to gaming, and have been engrained for over 40 years.

That's a different conversation from a perceived or real Pay2Win mechanic. Good luck getting laws passed on that shit, having to quantify in legalese the specific derivation between normal progression and paid progression and where to draw the line in every single game is never going to happen. It's a fucking shit show. They'll either completely outlaw it or won't, and I seriously doubt it's going to be outlawed.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 23:26 Slick

But...but... but.... Hillary's e-mails!  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 22, 2017, 23:21 Slick

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 22:45:
Boba Fett - Advertising and more advertising.

For IBM?

Boba has been dead for like 25 years, and there's a new SW film coming out. Not all references to SW have to be about how EA = Bad you know.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well
3. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 12:03 Slick

This is #1 on my list once I'm done with the AAA titles of this holiday season. I've been following it for a few years, the tech they created to do the performance capture is one-of-a-kind, almost putting James Cameron's Avatar filming technique to shame.

I just love Ninja Theory shit, them and David Cage's studio do really awesome stuff with performance capture, mostly unrivalled in the industry. Too bad the "game" part of their games isn't always incredible, although Heaven's Sword had great gameplay, they stole it from God of War

News Comments > Free MDK with GOG Black Friday Sale
10. Re: Free MDK with GOG Black Friday Sale Nov 22, 2017, 09:14 Slick

Overmann wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 08:05:
Sounds like Messiah.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. MESSIAH. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!~!!!!

News Comments > Free MDK with GOG Black Friday Sale
6. Re: Free MDK with GOG Black Friday Sale Nov 22, 2017, 03:44 Slick

MDK!!!!

I soo loved that game, I think I played the demo with one of those demo CDs that came with a PC Gamer magazine subscription. You're a guy with a guant bullet/gun for a head. You can snipe at any time, you can parachute with these wried 4 loops that come off your back, you can lob tactical nukes. And the rest of the cast and plot were just so goofy. One of the best games of the late 90's.

HEY, anyone remember this game back then where you were a little Angel Baby who could posess the souls of people (bad guys) and walk around as them, get them into fights, trying to move forward in the level? If the guy dies you pop out of his back as the little baby angel (cherub I think I'm thinking of?) and then all these mafia guys are like shooting at a little angel baby? Anyone know the name of that game? Was released around the same time as MDK.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 21, 2017, 22:31 Slick

Watch Dogs 2 $20

I'd re-buy it if they'd commit to an Xbox one X enhanced version.

SOOOOOO GUUUUD.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 21, 2017, 20:34 Slick

Yeah, that's pretty dope.  

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month
1. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 21, 2017, 20:09 Slick

I have such a soft spot for this game, def signed up. Although for me, MTG is the original "loot box" mechanic. Man their timing is bad  

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 18:58 Slick

El Pit wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 18:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:38:
Knights of the Old Republic cost $200M

REALLY? They must have paid $190M for the license back in 2003. I doubt this number.

I think he's thinking of the Star Wars MMO (can't remember the name), which I think was indeed around 200m. It was the largest voice-over project in history I believe, something like 20-30,000 recorded lines.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 17:56 Slick

Lots of thoughtful replies in this thread. Pretty much already made all the points I was going to make... So I'll play Devil's advocate a little responding to this:

Beamer wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:51:
When games are taking 100x the amount of people to create, and it's the manpower that's the primary expense...

You're right, Assassins creed games rely on like 8 global studios, and a network of producers in many countries, the end-credits sequence never ends. BUT I still don't think this is the #1 cost in AAA games nowadays.

If I'm paying all my employees $100,000 per year, and it takes 2 years to make a game. If it takes 300 people to get it done, that's $60 million in development costs. For a game like CoD, Battlefront, Battlefield, Destiny etc.

I posit that the marketing costs are definitely higher than that, probably 2x as much. 120 million for a game that will generate a billion in sales seems about right. Advertising is FUCKING expensive but does translate into more revenue.

Still, it's hard to argue that games are a lot better nowadays, they're comparatively cheaper, and people are disproportionally angrier. I can only imagine how HAPPY the bloke who was paying $3 a move to play an e-mail game was. I doubt any modern gamer will ever get that feeling of pure happiness from a game.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 21, 2017, 03:22 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 01:29:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 23:31:
The game is HEAVILY front-loaded on awesome, and the story gets less "fun" and all serious as it goes on.

Could say the same about a lot of Jack Black movies too, still love 'em though =)

Hey now, Tenacious D was evenly terrible from beginning to end

Naw, who am I kidding, I love that movie.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback
19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 21, 2017, 03:20 Slick

PacoTaco wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 01:10:
Incoming EA layoff announcement 4th quarter: Due the poor blah performance blah reception of loot crates we have to cut 1200 staff members that make the games while we pay ourselves some bonuses!

God speed to all our former employees! We will also shut down Respawn which we just bought we feel it will make a better future for EA share holders.

Finally we have decided to out source all of our development to EA China where we can hire 15 employees for the price of one.

We expect to see great first quarter growth, thank you!

May the hyperbole be with you.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback
15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 21, 2017, 00:50 Slick

Until someone comes up with a better way to make money, shit like loot boxes seems to work for F2P games. If LawBreakers went F2P even with a dumb lootbox system, it might have been commercially successful.

Not all games can do the $60 price upfront and expect to not lose a boat load of money. Shit LawBreakers was like $30 on launch, and still like 1000 people bought it...

None of that means that a AAA studio like DICE has to go this route. But I do like the idea of no season pass, they just need a way to justify the continuing development post-launch with some revenue stream that doesn't piss off half the world.

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
41. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 23:02 Slick

Oh dip, there are new SP campaign missions coming with the first season content too, looks to be an episodic release schedule. I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I've heard it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so it's good to know that they'll actually continue it.  

News Comments > Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours
40. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 22:51 Slick

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/the-last-jedi-season-is-coming

Shows the first month of events and new content rolling out, so they're definitely focused on things other than the Star Cards.

I'm curious as to what the weekend events will be, hopefully something beyond "play this mode and get more credits", but even that would be something.

There's a mechanic that they seem to have ripped directly from Destiny 2, where you pledge yourself to one side (one of 3 sides in D2) and whichever faction globally gets the most points or whatever in a week, all people who allied with that faction get some loot.

Kinda interesting, not groundbreaking. Finn and Phasma confirmed though, and 2 new maps coming in 3 weeks, a new StarFighter hero too.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 20, 2017, 22:46 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 21:38:
necrosis wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 21:34:
Ugh jesus. Watch it. That god damned GameSpot link has a auto-play video.

Do you surf the web with ads? Ewww.

I hope you're at least white-listing blues...

Ads are how the internet pays for content, soooo yeah.

3198 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo