Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3179 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 23:31 Slick

16,000 DPI... garbage

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Prey System Specs
5. Re: Prey System Specs Apr 27, 2017, 23:23 Slick

Prez wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 23:00:
The head-scratching decision to call this game "Prey" aside, it looks like it has the potential to be good. Waiting for reviews/Let's Plays.

I'm on a list to get a review copy, still waiting to hear back from Bethesda.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Spring Update
8. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 18:20 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:36:
Removing control? You can still force respawn. It just gives an indicator now if a medic spots you and runs up to revive you.

I understand that not everyone wants to revive every time, but often it is the better play to get revived and save a ticket, and not have to run back for 20 seconds.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment, I thought you were getting angry at the general mechanic. Yes, it's probably a good idea to make it even more obvious when a medic is coming to rez you. I mean personally it's clear as day to me, as you can already see the medic proximity. I gave it a pass when people bitched during the beta that most had literally not figured out this UI element yet, but it's been 6 months since launch, people should have figured this out by now. To me it seems a bit hand-holdey, but whatever, doesn't really detract from my experience.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
12. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 16:24 Slick

Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 16:17:
According to the Steam reviews I read this one's played like a moba.

Am I terrible that this would actually make me more interested in this game?

5. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 14:52 Slick

IMO the only thing they really need to fix is simply add a "Custom" option to the server filter. Right now you can only search by "on/off" for a thousand different server variables.

Doesn't help that custom and hardcore have essentially been dead on PC for months.

What the point in having a billion options for custom games when people can't actually find them unless they search for SPECIFICALLY the exact options they want, or a combination of options...

I like custom games, I like hardcore, I'm sad to see that they don't really exist anymore. When you click "custom games" you get 5 or 6 custom playlists that have been curated by the devs, but they're always empty, I only get spit into an empty server. If I could see a custom game in the server browser, It would be a lot easier to fill them up IMO.

4. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2017, 14:49 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 11:58:
I've been getting pissed off royally lately, playing BF1 as a medic and having idiots force respawn immediately as I am running to them. "Waste a ticket and respawn far from the action? Okay, fuck you, medics!"

How dare you sir.

The whole reason people got mad in BF3 was medics reviving them when they didn't want to be revived.

If you're downed, you can clearly see the proximity of medics close to you, if you want to be revived, and you see a medic getting closer, you just wait.

If you DON'T want to be revived, then you force skip to respawn.

I don't have the slightest idea why you think that removing the control from the downed player just because YOU as a medic want the revive is smart.

How dare you.

News Comments > Awesomenauts Going Free-to-Play
2. Re: Awesomenauts Going Free-to-Play Apr 27, 2017, 14:42 Slick

totally agree, game is wikkid fun

Was hard finding a match in the last few months, so yeah, this is very welcomed

And I'm a sucker for the cheeseball rockstar theme music

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Launches; D.Va Plans Revealed
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Launches; D.Va Plans Revealed Apr 26, 2017, 18:05 Slick

I've literally never played with the sound on with HotS until this update. I wanted to see what the "announcer" packs did, and they're pretty lame, seem to only cover "game about to start, game starting, and victory" and the default HotS announcer does the rest.

Anyways, HotS time is good podcasting time, the sound is so distracting anyways, I do worse playing with it on than just zoning out to Sawbones or something.

News Comments > Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room?
8. Re: Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room? Apr 26, 2017, 14:54 Slick

I'd hate to see this happen, but really there's no love lost if it does. Ubi brought this upon themselves for going public.

Honestly a huge portion of the shit that we hate about the industry is directly tied to having to please investors quarterly. Look at Valve, they operate on "Valve Time" and they make good products (when they actually remember that they make games).

Being a public company and not retaining a controlling share is just idiocy. The founders wanted to cash out, and then act upset when others use the legal pathway that Ubi themselves paved to take over their company. As far as I'm concerned Ubisoft is already cooked, and they only have themselves to blame.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII In November
5. Re: Call of Duty: World War II Announcement Apr 26, 2017, 14:48 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 14:15:
Seeing some shot-for-shot imitation of Private Ryan in there.

Didn't the original few CoD's heavily rip off Saving Pvt. Ryan and Band of Brothers? I know Medal of Honor did heavily, but I'm pretty sure they both did.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Apr 26, 2017, 09:16 Slick

I'm actively trying to get an advance review copy of this, I'll keep y'all posted.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Flow Video
21. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 25, 2017, 08:51 Slick

Assume at your own peril.

Some games' use of PhysX is not optional. If you're running on an AMD card, then it's just offloaded to the CPU. Ask anyone who's only ever owned AMD cards why they have a mysterious PhysX installation folder on their computer. And ask them what happens if they delete it and then try to run certain games, the game won't run.

Under DX11, most of the work is already being offloaded to one core, add the latency for that core to calculate PhysX, and it effectively stalls the GPU. DX12 could help with this, once devs actually code for it from the ground up.

Then there's the whole bullshit around Nvidia forcing ridiculous tessellation levels (64x) on objects that get zero noticeable visual gain from it. This is because Gameworks titles will handle the ridiculous tessellation better than AMD, so the performance penalty will be much higher on AMD cards.

And I've done some digging, yes, Nvidia has fucked performance on older gens of their own cards. Witcher 3 fucked Kepler hard. A 960 outperformed a 780 ($200 card beating a $700 card).

Really though, I'd do a "lmgtfy" for "why gameworks sucks" but I can't even be bothered. Do your own homework, you don't need to be spoon fed.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2017, 18:57 Slick

Sorry for keeping on point, we can talk more about how WaltC said: "Ai chips are the same as magnets from the 1920's". Getting nostalgic for those "better times" Walt? Or just enjoying the reference to your actual childhood?

I like to think that think Walt was born in a landfill full of rusty WWI morphine syringes, ate nothing but newspaper and twine till he was 20, and claims he invented the charleston.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2017, 18:52 Slick

We all know that HBM2 is expensive. And yes, Vega 10 is still MIA. Weren't we expecting this new HBM2 from AMD around the launch of the 4xx series? They just launched the 5xx series... lol.

So yes, conventional wisdom says that yields on this new tech are low, and prices are high. The question is, how high exactly? Nvidia has already been shipping HBM2 parts with their P100 tesla units, but those are obscenely expensive.

I still can't imagine that $1100 for a top tier GPU still isn't enough to swap out GDDR6 for HBM2. It can't be THAT much more expensive, can it? I'm guessing that on this scale the BOM for an Nvidia GPU is under $100, with most of that going to the GPU silicon, as it's by far the most complex, R&D intensive component.

Ugh, I don't have a hard-on for Nvidia, and I'm not unreasonable if there's real reasons why consumer HBM2 parts haven't shipped yet. It's just frustrating when they've been talking about it for a couple years now.

Nvidia was shipping HBM2 parts in 2016. Why that wouldn't trickle down to consumer parts by 2018 is a real mystery. If AMD does Vega 10 with HBM2 and it rocks by the end of 2017, Nvidia might have to counter, but it would be too late in the development cycle for a 2018 launch, no? unless they're targeting holidays 2018...

Oh and Gameworks is still the worst. Literally the worst.

19. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 18:45 Slick

I haven't heard that they adversely affect performance on older Nvidia cards, but considering what I know about their tactics, it wouldn't surprise me.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2017, 12:38 Slick

I love how WaltC manages to inject his political poison into just about any discussion.

You talk about the kids getting their education in "idiot emotion".

Care to tell us about the glory days pre-2008 when Bush hijacked 9/11 to force an illegal invasion of a country that never attacked the USA? You know, that whole symphony of lies and emotionally-charged deceit that was dripping with sentimental manipulation...

"The smoking gun could take the form of a mushroom cloud"

"Get them over there, so they don't get us over here"

"Weapons of mass destruction"

Do you masturbate to footage of Colin Powell presenting the vial on anthrax to congress?

Talk to me more about "idiot emotion" please.

Oh, and WTF Nvidia, GDDR6?! What the fuck happened to HBM2? Is selling a card for $1100 not profitable enough to include this long-promised top-tier VRAM? Wow, 16Gbps instead of GDDR5X's 14Gbps. HOT DAMN.

17. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 12:26 Slick

Here's the Coles notes version:

Gameworks isn't just an optional "added effect", as it's inclusion in games has time and time again proven to be outright detrimental to the performance of main competitors hardware on the same title. It is a thinly-veiled attempt to thwart AMD, and many games have fallen prey to this barbaric corporate practice.

It is not "easily bypassed"

It is not "optional"

I'm sorry to say that if you think this is a case of "take it or leave it" you're sadly mistaken. Just because you can enable or disable the effect doesn't mean that Gameworks' tendrils aren't deep at the heart of the code, it's true purpose to skew benchmarks in their favor. It does so at the cost of other PC gamers under the guise of providing cheap thrills to the 1% of gamers who can afford hardware capable of actually delivering.

This isn't theory, there are multiple examples of this. Studios who had their games running splendidly on AMD hardware for most of the development cycle, and then Nvidia swoops in at the last minute, injects it's maliscious code to add a few questionable "PhysX" effects, and all of a sudden the game runs poorly on AMD hardware. These are not isolated incidents but a pattern of targeted aggression towards their competition, with Gamers being used as the pawns.

It's disgraceful, and anyone who defends this practice needs to have their head examined, or at the very least learn what the fuck they're talking about.

12. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 09:02 Slick

Wow, you guys are actually defending Nvidia Gameworks, LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Respect.... Deleted.

Either you simply don't know what you're talking about, and are ignorant of the true story here, or you're all the shilliest of shills. I bet it's the first one, as on the surface "ooh look, a pretty effect, what could be at all insidious about this?" "Oh come on Slick, they only use it in 2 or 3 games, what's the harm?"

Yeah, you clearly need to do your homework on Gameworks... sigh, I could write an opinion piece on this, but there's already stuff out there.

Do your homework kiddies.

1. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 23, 2017, 14:58 Slick

Another Nvidia-only tech that will require a gpu from 5 years in the future to run, and whose inclusion in game as Gameworks will cripple AMD GPU systems.

Besides, did big green forget that they already own PhysX? They can already do this stuff, and it already only works in a very few select gameworks titles. This whole dog and pony show has already been happening for the better part of a decade.

Fuck Nvidia. Vega10 better be amazing, I'm looking for every excuse to jump ship again.

Where is the legitimate PC gamer outrage at this nonsense? People lose their fucking minds over dumb animations in an RPG, but this trash goes on and on and on. If anyone is going to boycott anything they should start with Nvidia gameworks titles.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles
8. Re: Heroes of the Storm Free Mega Bundles Apr 23, 2017, 06:17 Slick

Rhett wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 04:48:
Just played on the PTR. Not sure if it'll stay like this, but I opened a handful (9) of common loot boxes and got two heroes (Arthas and Rehgar), and some epic skins, and multiple rare things. I wonder if it'll stay like that. Also a 3-day stim pack (starts when you get it though).

Should be quite awesome on the 25th opening all those boxes. Especially for players with 400++ levels carrying over. Seems fairly generous.

Hmm, so the stims start immediately eh? I guess that means that I'll be opening those boxes slowly over time...

3179 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo