Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3179 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:52 Slick

quick google #1

quick google #2

quick google #3

IPS panels are fantastic for bright-room viewing or even viewing in the dim with a bias light. But turn the lights truly OFF and their poor native contrast ratio results in dark-grey blacks.

A state-of-the-art VA panel has a native contrast ratio 5-6 times higher than a state-of-the-art IPS panel (5-6000 vs. 1000).

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:47 Slick

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 11, 2017, 15:31:
Ive seen over a dozen VA panels, as much IPS and many more TN. VA panels are better than TN panels (in most things), but IPS is still far superior. Blacks are actually one of the things that can be as good on any of them. Youre being blinded by fanboy blabberings.

Lol, I've seen many IPS and PVA panels up close and in person, and even owned several of each. I'd venture a guess that you're possibly more prone to "fanboi babblings" if you're adamantly standing by IPS which has long been the "fanboi" gold standard for nearly a decade in LED-backlit displays.

from Rtings.com on the Vizio P-series:

Native Contrast Show Help
: 5694 : 1
Excellent native contrast ratio. The blacks are very deep, even when local dimming is off.
The 55" size doesn't have great blacks, though, because it uses an IPS panel, and not the VA panel used by other sizes.

I'm staring at an IPS monitor right now writing this, the blacks are shit, and yes, it's calibrated. Not to mention the very distracting IPS glow, it's always about 10 shades lighter than anything else on a black screen. All of the Asus and Acer top-end IPS monitors (1440p 144hz etc) suffer from this particularly in the bottom right corner of the screen, as they all use the same panel.

I also have a Samsung S-PVA television in my studio, which still has better blacks than my Panny S60 Plasma. So yeah, I'm talking about what's literally in my home, let alone all the ones I've seen in the wild, let alone the myriad of professional reviewers who agree, let alone the users who agree...

Does a really high-end IPS panel exist which also have decent blacks? probably, but if a $1300 monitor can't deliver them, then I don't know what you're pointing to that breaks this very well-observed pattern.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:37 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 11, 2017, 15:34:
Slick wrote on May 11, 2017, 14:18:
Oh I have a plasma, the last gen of Panasonic plasmas, the S60 I believe?

The flagship bested the Kuro in pretty much every way.

Yeah, I couldn't afford the flagship, but I was fine with the PQ of the lowest model S60, as it had the least amount of processing going on it also had the best latency of that last year's models.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 14:18 Slick

Oh I have a plasma, the last gen of Panasonic plasmas, the S60 I believe?

Anyways, I still don't agree with your assessment of PVA, you must have seen some shitty ones, there are scores of people who swear by them, check out the AVSforums, you'll be told to stay away from IPS panels.

And Yes, the P-65 had local dimming, but I left it off, it was too laggy during scene switches and very noticeable. On slow scenes it was good, but still even then there weren't enough LEDS, just around 150 or so, so things like stars wouldn't even show up, and the credits roll at the end of a movie would just be flickering as the words passed over each LED. Hopefully the 384-LED FALD system on the upcoming monitors will be enough.

But yeah, even without the FALD, the PVA's blacks were far better than anything i'd seen up to this point, on the same level as plasmas, and probably better than my current plasma. Don't take my word for it, check out people who live and breathe this stuff on AVSforums.

Anyways, been nice to talk to someone who at least knows about this shit.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 01:33 Slick

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:18:
Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 15:40:
DP 1.4 can't do 144@4k w/ HDR, only 120. There's a new revision coming out though.

The real reason I say that I'm waiting on HDMI 2.1 is that I'm not that impressed with IPS monitors. I own one now, and i remember it used to be the "gold" standard back in the days of the 30" Apple cinema displays for perfect colour. In all honesty, it's more accurate, but the blacks are shit.

I'm saving up for a 4k 120hz OLED (Probably the successor to the Sony A1E OLED that came out a month ago) That should have HDMI 2.1 with the variable refresh rate tech enabled, all the HDR formats supported, 120hz enabled, and I'll have a screen that I can use for the next 10 years without looking back. 144hz would be nice, but I can put up with 120 if it means ditching IPS, as it seems that all the new "god" computer monitors are all IPS...
All LCD blacks are shit. IPS blacks are actually very good for LCD technology. TN and PVA cant really be better. Only local dimming would be, but I dont think theres a monitor with that, only TVs.

?

PVA blacks are 10x better than TN and maybe 5x better than IPS. There's a core contingent of television buyers who will only buy PVA.

For example, the TV I owned briefly, the Vizio P-65 was PVA all the way, and it was the most impressive picture I've ever seen, deepest blacks outside of OLED or a Kuro.

And guess what? once you go down to the 55" version, it's not a PVA, it's an IPS panel, and everyone says to stay away from it, because it looks like garbage with great viewing angles. PVA if you're looking head-on is far superior to IPS. And the main strength of IPS is the wide viewing angles, which is utterly pointless for a computer monitor.

News Comments > Quake Champions Visor Trailer
3. Re: Quake Champions Visor Trailer May 10, 2017, 23:13 Slick

Oh and this game badly needs a mode with laser grapples and railguns only. oh and fucking custom maps. And an active player base.  

News Comments > Quake Champions Visor Trailer
2. Re: Quake Champions Visor Trailer May 10, 2017, 23:12 Slick

Well, that's what happens when there's nothing to change in a formula other than give players MOBA-esque heros with special powers.

To be fair, the scan lasts like 1.5 seconds, and has probably a 30 sec cooldown, it's rarely used for kills, more just for recon.

And I always played this hero the weekend that i played this game, only because when you select him, he has by far the most badass voice line i've ever heard. I think it's "deep into my sights" but it's done in this synthetic robot voice that's just soooo cool, and with the visor animation at the same time, I must have played it over and over like 20 times the first time I saw it.

You guys will know what I'm talking about.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
7. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 10, 2017, 23:07 Slick

Leper wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:24:
If the series is really on hold (which seems likely), it's because it's not selling well, not because of the haters.

Well, that's kinda a chicken and egg argument, as the entire internet had unanimously agreed that bad facial animations were the worst sin an RPG could commit days before launch.

I think we all went into Andromeda with very skewed expectations considering the cultural climate surrounding this game. It would have been nice to just experience the game and judge it on it's own merits. Personally I'm almost to the point where I understand why Bethesda only gives our review copies 24 hours before launch, because if you really want to like the game, you'll probably like it more.

Not that Andromeda is some amazing game, it's pretty good, not the best RPG I've ever played, but it's hard to dispute that it's a good game. It's only when people start bringing in expectations of the series, and all that baggage, that it warps your view of an overall solid 7.5/10 game.

I haven't finished it, but I will, it's enjoyable enough to keep playing.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 15:40 Slick

DP 1.4 can't do 144@4k w/ HDR, only 120. There's a new revision coming out though.

The real reason I say that I'm waiting on HDMI 2.1 is that I'm not that impressed with IPS monitors. I own one now, and i remember it used to be the "gold" standard back in the days of the 30" Apple cinema displays for perfect colour. In all honesty, it's more accurate, but the blacks are shit.

I'm saving up for a 4k 120hz OLED (Probably the successor to the Sony A1E OLED that came out a month ago) That should have HDMI 2.1 with the variable refresh rate tech enabled, all the HDR formats supported, 120hz enabled, and I'll have a screen that I can use for the next 10 years without looking back. 144hz would be nice, but I can put up with 120 if it means ditching IPS, as it seems that all the new "god" computer monitors are all IPS...

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 14:40 Slick

I think the moba crowd would like a higher rez one, my 1440p 144hz screen is perfect for mobas, as when big team clashed happen, it's hard to actually make out your damned cursor, let alone the enemy you're trying to cast on. higher rez helps with this, g-sync doesn't hurt.

I'll wait till HDMI 2.1 comes out next year, and just go straight for 120/144 @ 4k.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak?
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak? May 10, 2017, 04:13 Slick

The only thing I've ever wanted from this series is to have an option to just disable all the icons on your map.

Step 1) find a church to climb

Step 2) Scan the area

Step 3) have every chest, quest, secret, sidequest, person of interest, hideout, shop, real estate, and haystack revealed for you.

This totally kills it for me. Why invest in trying to actually learn a series of well-built sidestreets. Why bother to figure out where the best hiding and escape paths are? Why bother even trying to fucking DISCOVER anything on your own?

You know what? fuck an option, it should be disabled by default with no way to turn this awful "feature" on. It's the most hand-holdy "play the game for you" garbage and needs to die.

And yes, you can play without revealing the map, but really you can't... you need to reveal stuff for certain missions, and there are a few important things that you should know, like your home base etc, but that's it. Why show me EXACTLY where the "secret" chest is!? what is the point? it's fucking paint-by-numbers video gaming, there's zero thought required. As if having motherfucking wallhacker-vision wasn't enough...

News Comments > TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month
2. Re: TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month May 10, 2017, 04:06 Slick

Wait, hold on, wasn't the whole Trackmania2 three separate games nonsense finally put to an end? And wasn't the latest one the super rainbow edition or whatever that had 4 locations including lagoon?

Nadeo can be so needlessly confusing, have you ever tried to navigate the Maniaplanet "browser" in Shootmania? You have to download different game modes like add-on mods, it makes no sense. So goddamned french.

News Comments > New BioWare IP Delayed
5. Re: New BioWare IP Delayed May 10, 2017, 04:02 Slick

How the fuck is May 10th the end of fiscal year 2017!?

I swear, these fucking bean counters are afraid of math. USE NEGATIVE NUMBERS FOR FUCKS SAKE! putting a number in parentheses to avoid scary negative numbers is just as stupid as omitting the 13th floor in buildings.

News Comments > EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players
8. Re: EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players May 10, 2017, 03:57 Slick

Also, anyone remember when I said this would be the best selling BF game of all time? and easily crack 12m? And people on here told me I was crazy? xD

Still the best engine, the best FPS hit detection, the best a lot of things. The main game modes are getting dull as fuck for me after playing the same shit for 15 years, but going to Battlegrounds is just painful trying to aim, shoot, or have your hits reg. Say what you will about BF1, the underlying technology is the high bar for FPS games.

News Comments > EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players
7. Re: EA Financials Reveal 19 Million BF1 Players May 10, 2017, 03:09 Slick

Dacron wrote on May 10, 2017, 02:42:
Flak wrote on May 10, 2017, 02:08:
19 million players and yet the active player count is not that much higher than BF4. Hard to believe so many suckers paid $50+ for that...but actually now that I think about Battlefront which was pretty much the exact same soulless husk of a game that stupid asshole gamers paid a lot of money for.

BF1 (aside from Hardline...spin-off doesn't count) is the first Battlefield game I haven't purchased at launch, let alone it's launch year.

The cheapest I can find it for from a 'key' site is $35...that's a joke for the base game, I wouldn't pay more than $15 on it's best day.

Double-bonus edit: Oh, and EA can fuck right off as long as they keep fragmenting their community with their dumbass premium MAP DLCs.

I've been a die hard fan since 1942. Owned them all, some on multiple platforms.

Hardline was the last for me. I enjoyed it (not as much as the others), but it really did start the downfall of the series. I didn't even try the Star Wars one (despite being beautiful) because you could see how shallow it was from videos.

It's sad, and they're still insanely profitable over it.

The "Star Wars" one, wasn't a Battlefield game.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 17:30 Slick

McLarens look very distinct even in the supercar class IMO. I've heard that they're pretty shit cars for their price compares with their direct competition, unwieldy to drive, but very pretty looking.  

News Comments > Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer
1. Re: Project CARS 2 McLaren Trailer May 9, 2017, 12:55 Slick

I'm hoping that the VR in this game takes proper advantage of the Nvidia multi-rez shading for VR, as the original was great for VR, but wasn't optimized at all.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles Plans
3. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles Plans May 9, 2017, 03:52 Slick

Lol

They remember that this was finally the CoD to bring back the level editor right? Just Like CoD 5 World at War (the last good CoD IMO) there SHOULD be a plethora of custom zombies maps, including recreations of famour older maps. Well, last I checked this custom rollout it's still in turbo alpha, no one plays the damned game anymore (didn't 2 weeks after launch except TDM), and only selected people can even use the editor. I might be wrong on the timeline here, last I checked was many months ago, but never heard any news about this... this supposed feature that was going to make my purchase of this game feel "smart" or at the very least "not dumb".

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 7, 2017, 01:55 Slick

why not 16 million DPI? no one uses more than 1600... 2400 max.  

News Comments > DayZ Beta Nears
4. Re: DayZ Beta Nears May 6, 2017, 02:34 Slick

You're serious?  

3179 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo