Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3203 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
53. Re: Game Reviews May 29, 2017, 13:12 Slick

Dacote wrote on May 29, 2017, 09:24:
Quboid wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:45:
As I said before, you do you. If this is a problem for you, you're right to put that in your review and I don't think anyone should have a problem with that - but people will be surprised.
How dare you tell somebody that they are free to do as they please with their own work. This is the most blatant trolling I have ever seen. TROLL ALERT /s
Next thing you will say is that you support him in his endeavors, that will really stir him up. not /s

Oh sick burn.

You people seem to be grasping at straws here... and again conveniently ignoring the part of Quboid's comment that I was actually quoting.

When I form a solid logical argument, I get "no one cares", brilliant riposte.

How is anyone supposed to take the commentary seriously when it reads: "reviewers don't care that it has the same name as some random game from a decade ago"

Some random game from a decade ago.

Right.

I can only imagine the death threats this guy would have received if he said that about the new Battlefront LOL.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Game Reviews May 29, 2017, 00:38 Slick

Quboid wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:45:
Slick wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:10:
Anyone care to explain the hypocrisy? Are you even capable of understanding it?

Because nobody cares.

Reviewers don't mark it down because reviewers don't care that it has the same name as some random game from a decade ago

You're trolling at this point.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

48. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 23:10 Slick

Oh this thread was dead days ago, how dare you revive it!

1) Battlefront II comes out in 2005

2) DICE's Battlefront comes out in 2015, 10 years later

3) Not only is it considered "okay" to compare the new game to the old, you become HIGHLY SUSPECT if you don't. Forums erupt in a rage as the word of a boycott spreads through every online gaming community. Before the game is even released the majority of people on THIS FORUM claim that DICE murdered Battlefront "This isn't Battlefront" etc. etc. etc. Even though for the most part, both old and new games share many similarities.

4) Prey comes out in 2006

5) Prey comes out in 2017, 11 years later

6) The new game is absolutely nothing like the old, no one bats an eyelash, let alone erupts in the furious chanting of boycotts. And now you're HIGHLY SUSPECT if you actually mention how this new game has almost NOTHING to do with the original IP.

Anyone care to explain the hypocrisy? Are you even capable of understanding it?

This comment was edited on May 29, 2017, 00:51.

46. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 22:12 Slick

Dacote wrote on May 28, 2017, 21:42:
This keeps coming to mind Slick in his formative years.

Oh yeah, that's totally me. :-eyeroll-:

Don't think I've even insinuated that.

It would seem that the shoe is on the other foot, as I'm the one being split open like a blooming onion because I don't like what you like. I'm rather comfortable with my opinion, and I own it. You seem like you're bursting at the seams because someone doesn't like what you like.

I used my shitty little soapbox to express my own opinion, and because it doesn't match the opinion of "you people" on here, then I've been lambasted for my own views. At no point did I ever say fuck you for liking it, in fact, I've said on multiple occasions that art is subjective, and to each their own. I don't know how much more plutonic I could possibly be.

Face it, your beef is that I don't share your opinion. And for some reason not judging a game in a bubble as if it's NOT the long-awaited continuation of the franchise has put me on your shit list. Stop acting like talking about the franchise history is somehow "unfair". Give me a break.

Tell that to all of you who shrieked about how the new Battlefront was such garbage that it deserved a boycott, as they ruined the IP from what it was all about. Again, square that circle for me, and you'll have a shadow of a point. Until then, you're playing both sides of the issue, and have zero credibility in doing so.

And for you trainspotters, Battlefront II was released in 2005, so by your standards that IP was one year deader than Prey 2006. Still, it seemed fair game for to say the sky is falling because you had to pick up a powerup to get in an x-wing, in what was still absolutely the same genre, same lore, same vehicles, same massive PvP gameplay as it's predecessor.

Now tapdance around this point, tap my pretties, tap!

43. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 19:09 Slick

SlimRam wrote on May 27, 2017, 23:47:
snip

I've played Prey 2017, and Prey 2006. I don't think you've done either, so I don't feel that it's fruitful to continue this dialogue when you have no experience for your arguments. No offence. I played them, I provided my opinions, you didn't play them and are mad at my (at the very least, informed) opinions. Just because there's (very) occasional shooting from a first-person perspective doesn't make it a First Person Shooter. Having some comic relief after half the cast dies in a Shakespearian play does not a comedy make.

Your sample sizes are "your friends" never bought or played Prey 2006, so it doesn't matter. So desecrating an IP is only problematic if your friends have fond memories of it? Come now. Since small sample sizes are scientific now, I'll submit that 2 out of 3 user comments on my site were favourable to my review, saying they loved Prey 2006, and that this 2017 "remake" is dogshit and cut everything good from the IP. So 66%, not too bad. It looks like a clear majority of people agree with me, I win!

You see how dumb the "since a few people validate my opinion that makes it undeniably true" argument is?

My perspective provided context by educating people who didn't play Prey 2006 as to what was cut from the franchise. You know, as I've stated here before, I never played the original Battlefront games. When the reboot was coming around, everyone was bitching that they desecrated the franchise and that there should be a boycott. Now, as a gamer, I would have appreciated reading a review that actually took the time to inform me of what the franchise was about, and how it changed. That information only helps me as a consumer understand the direction that the franchise is going. I would have been very happy to read about exactly what was changed. To this day, I still can't tell you exactly what changed, only that powerups for vehicles make people rage. I might not have agreed with the reviewer as to whether the changes were good or bad, but at least I'd be a more educated consumer in the process.

So what is the issue with me doing it? It's the same thing. Just because the game was a mediocre clone of a totally different franchise, doesn't mean I can't also express disdain for the butchering of the IP.

IMO saying something like: "This isn't like Prey 2006 at all, it's a totally different product, ANYWAYS" and doing a totally compartmentalised review is lazy hack journalism. Nothing exists in a bubble. That's my point of view.

42. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 18:52 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2017, 11:11:
snip

Yeah... thanks for the advice and all, but I don't need to emulate other reviewers when I'm still in the process of finding my own voice. The last thing this world needs is more cloned copycat garbage media. I have my own views, and my own style, if people respond to it that's great, if not, so be it. But the absolute best thing I can be is me. When you want to make a living as a musician, you can expend a lot of effort trying to emulate others successful acts, or you can forge your own path.

Besides, if you go by the stats, I've been writing for this rag for only about 2 months, and so far all my articles have topped the site's all-time per-day view count. Not that I'm tooting my own horn or anything, we're still only talking triple digits, the site is somewhat new, and has never really broken through.

41. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 18:32 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2017, 12:43:
Slick wrote on May 27, 2017, 03:58:
Beamer wrote on May 26, 2017, 10:06:
Fallout was dead. Big budget isometric games are dead. You can spend all your time angry and mourning them, or you can play what's out there and enjoy it for what it is.

So you're saying that games with interesting characters, lore, world-building, fun game mechanics, satisfying puzzles, introduction to new ways to interact in a 3D space, inventive death loops, gravity puzzles, wall-walking, portals, and mind-fuckery turning a rock into a planet to explore is all dead? Says who? you?

"All games are now only about spending 30 minutes scrounging for garbage to fabricate 12 shotgun shells only to never want to use them in a fight while being bored stiff reading office e-mails and exploring nearly identical corridors in a bland spaceship until it ends. ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS, THIS IS ALL WE HAVE NOW."

Give me a break.

No, I said isometric games are dead. Not sure how you got the rest of that. Fact: big budget isometric games are dead. The people who whined about Fallout 3 not being isometric were lost causes.

The rest, I have no clue where you got that from. No one had a clue what the content of F3 was back when all the whining was going on. But it's really, really weird for me to say "isometric is dead" and you to follow with all of that other stuff.

Are you serious?

You took my argument and made an analogy to Fallout.

You're saying that Prey 2017 ditching all of Prey 2006's trappings is somehow analogous to Fallout not keeping alive a dead genre (isometric POV in Fallout's case).

Okay.

I retort by using your own metaphor, to carry over to my example, that the key elements of the game in question (Prey 2006) are "obsolete".

I literally took YOUR analogy and ran with it.

Then you attempt to cockblock me because I'm not talking specifically about isometric games. I think your analogy isn't, in fact, an analogy at all, and that you possibly don't understand what an analogy is, and are quite possibly talking out of your ass.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2017, 18:20 Slick

Agent-Zero wrote on May 28, 2017, 15:09:
been waiting for a new MP game to get stuck into for a while... looks like PUBG might be it... probly gonna wait for a few more patches, and a sale tho

Games that are literally the #1 seller on a platform for months on end have absolutely zero reason to go on sale.

It's only like $30-40 you get what you pay for if you stick with it. IMO Duos are by far the most fun. Soloing is just harrowing, and 4-man squads is too much to keep track up, or go up against, unless you have 3 friends who are similarly high-level and everyone is "on the same page", infact I think that last bit is the most important for teamplay.

37. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 18:37 Slick

Yeah, I was joking. For you to claim that since a franchise hasn't put out a game in many years means that it's dead is just silly.

So tell us, what is the exact cut-off date when it's fair game to destroy an IP by turning it into something completely different? 4 years? 7 years? National Lampoons "Vacation" franchise went 18 years without a release, from 1997 to 2015. Was that IP dead? When they made the new one, did they completely change the genre, get rid of all the crude jokes and comedy of any kind, and have it not being about a family on vacation? No, of course not. "Vacation" isn't on anyone's list of best or "most important" franchises of all time, or at any time. Doesn't mean it's fair game to just bring it back to utterly destroy everything that the franchise was about.

Half Life 3 will eventually come out, the IP is not dead at all. Neither was Prey, people have been waiting for the sequel for 11 years. Just because it wasn't on YOUR radar doesn't mean that it wasn't on other people's.

Also I'm well aware of the origins of Portal. And that wasn't Arkane, I think you meant Valve. Valve haven't put out an original IP since Half Life. All they do is use community mods, and then straight-out buy it from them, or just bring them into their studio. The point was that Prey was a AAA game that used portal puzzles first, before any other big publisher game touched the idea. Forgetting the half-dozen other original gameplay mechanics they introduced, that should be enough to consider it "impactful".

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
9. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 27, 2017, 17:46 Slick

Well, as far as latency is concerned, Destiny 1 running on console hardware ran just fine for latency. the squads are 3-man, and the MP is 6v6.

So I'm not really too worried about the latency stuff, but the hacking stuff... hoo boy. It's funny because Ubisoft's response to Destiny was The Division, and that was cornholed pretty wide on PC. You could use fucking cheat engine. %100 client-trust model.

If destiny truly hasn't learned from their competitor's mistakes in the PC space, then god help them, this could be a fucking mess.

35. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 14:48 Slick

Dacote wrote on May 27, 2017, 10:58:
Mentioning the original (2006) game 16 times while also referencing it 3 additional times in the CONs section does not a review make.
We get it, in your "review" you're upset that they used 4 letters of the alphabet that had been used 11 years ago for a dead ip.
But what you wrote was a thinly veiled rant not a review. Rant has 4 letters and review has 6, please make note of the difference.

You're right, how dare I reference the only other entry in the franchise that gamers have known and loved for 11 years when the reboot is absolutely nothing like it. You're right, it's useless information that nobody needed to know about.

What's that? no one loved it? The user and critic reviews say otherwise, but I'm sure that your opinion and that of the other 9 people in this thread supersede all of that.

I should have probably just written about the gameplay, graphics, story, sound design, etc. Oh wait I did, it was all very mediocre at best.

"Dead IP" lol, sure, I'll give you that one, Arkane killed it.

Again, tell me why Half-Life's IP is "alive" when the last full game was released 13 years ago, but Prey is "dead" when it was released 11 years ago. Square that circle and I'll say that you have a shadow of a point.

34. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 14:42 Slick

Quinn wrote on May 27, 2017, 10:29:
https://youtu.be/QlAZL04gBuk

Here is a moment I captured today in Prey. Now please stop comparing Prey with ME:A.

I've stated multiple times on here and in my review that the animations "range from decent to terrible" or "sometimes they're alright, sometimes they're really bad".

I posted a video in my review that clearly shows pretty bad facial animations, you retort by posting a video of decent animations. So you've proven my point? Did you even look at my evidence before posting yours?

Most of the animations in ME:A were absolutely decent, but there were a few examples of really bad ones, and they got all the attention. How do you not see any congruence between this game as an example?

This comment was edited on May 27, 2017, 15:20.

33. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 14:37 Slick

Sigh, alright, SlimRam is first on my list, bear with me:

1) http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/prey-2006 Many people thought that Prey 2006 was a breath of fresh air, with reviewers literally saying stuff like: "In a world full of Call of Duty clones, it's rare to find an FPS game that brings something new and unique to the genre." It's funny because 2 words that I can't associate with Prey 2017 as much as I'd like to are "new" and "unique".

If you put any stock in the "consensus" of about 10 people on this site that Prey 2006 was nothing special, your sample size isn't big enough, and they tend to be pretty biased towards negativity if you've been on BN for more than a week.

2)
"People don't care as much about facial animations in FPS games"

I've already answered this. This is not a first-person shooter, it's an RPG. I went to great lengths in my review, and several times in this thread to illustrate how NOT an FPS Prey 2017 is. Just because it uses the first-person perspective, doesn't make it an FPS, it's an RPG time and again and again and again. So yes, my ME:A analogy absolutely stands.

3)
"A good reviewer comes to every game open-minded regardless of it's history or their opinion of it's previous iterations."

So I have to admit, I wrestled with this immensely before starting this review, there's really one of two tacks you can take. But in the end, I thought it would be utterly irresponsible for me as a reviewer to simply ignore the IP. People might want to buy Prey 2017 as they think it's a continuation of Prey 2006 (most of us thought that until the trailers started coming out), they would be SORELY disappointed. Ignoring the history of a franchise is deceitful, art doesn't exist in a bubble. The whole point of a good reviewer is to give context and history to expand the reader's knowledge of exactly what the situation is. Fast and Furious 7 doesn't exist in a bubble, you have to know where the franchise went before, how it shapes up to them, and even to others in the genre. No matter if you agree with the reviewer or not, being able to provide context that is sorely missing in many other places is an asset.

The context here is that Prey 2017 has nothing to do with "Prey" as we've known it to be for the past 11 years. That's something that readers might want to know.

4)
"you are literally saying that no one has a right to their opinion (except you of course)"

Sigh... do I REALLY have to go back and quote myself how many times I said "this is my opinion" "you're free to have your opinion" etc. etc. etc. really? come on. Low blow.

"The reason i'm allowed to say this is because of something called the First Amendment of the United States Constitution (you may want to look it up some time?)."

Hoo boy, easy there cowboy. Nobody is treading on your rights. And me having my opinions ABSOLUTELY does not infringe on your right not to agree with me. This isn't a 1st amendment issue in the slightest. I would probably say something like: "Maybe read the constitution first?" if I was capable of a low blow...

5)
"Like I said before, which again, you choose to ignore; Half-life made a big impact on gaming, Prey 2006 did not"

Gotcha, you've made your point clear. There's 2 sets of rules. 1 for games that you personally like, and another for ones you don't like. I've already shown you a metacritic score of 80%+ so.... Also "a big impact on gaming". How about introducing us to portals before the game Portal was released? does that meet your standard for "impact on gaming" sheesh. Prey 2006 inspired plenty of developers with all of its innovations to the genre. I'm starting to think that you never actually played Prey 2006, and are largely talking out of ignorance.

6)
"The main point for you not liking this game is because the name is Prey (this you actually said yourself). If you write reviews as biased as this one you will never be taken seriously. Your responsibility as a game reviewer is to deliver an honest evaluation of game play, graphics, sound, and (sometimes) story. If you can't keep your personal bias out of the final score of a game then you shouldn't be reviewing games, period. Also, I suggest you grow some thicker skin because if you continue to review games you're always going to get hate comments regardless of the score you give any of them."

I don't like the game because it's a boring clone of another franchise. It's worse than any Bioshock game released, why wouldn't I just play Bioshock if I wanted that experience? Any your assertion that a reviewer is just an automaton who's there to regurgitate gameplay, graphics, sound etc. without any sense of connection to the history of the IP, the genre, and the gaming industry as a whole is ludicrous.

Not that I didn't give very detailed accounts of the gameplay, graphics, sound etc. But I also wrapped the whole thing in the very important context. Which you seem incapable of understanding as synonymous with journalistic integrity. Just reporting facts is dumb, things can be taken out of context. The context here is this is not a "Prey" game as we've known it for the past 11 years, that is important.

7)
"Again, to use your own example, 'Firefly' made a huge impact on it's audience and thus the love for the show and the probable backlash if they did what you suggested. Prey 2006 apparently didn't make that kind of impact (atleast from the consensus in this thread). I played the demo and, from what I remember, found it to be nothing special? The biggest thing I remember about the game was the development hell that the game went through just to be made."

Ahh and the big reveal at last, you never played the game you've been referring to all this time. AAAAAAAAAAnd goodnight.

I have a question for you to ponder as I walk away from this conversation though... Why use the name Prey at all? I mean, if what you say is true, the IP was "dead" it had "no impact" at all, and everyone essentially forgot about it.... then why in the hell would any sane publisher choose to use that same name on a new title? It just doesn't make economic or logical sense. If it was such shit, why even mention it?

It's almost as if there was this appetite for a Prey sequel for 11 years that had gone unsatiated. That the cancellation of the earlier "Prey 2" game really make a lot of people mad, and they wanted their sequel. Remember when Battlefront 3 got cancelled? Yeah, kinda like that. You postulate that FireFly made a "huge impact" on it's audience, but you're somehow oblivious of a game titled "Prey" getting so much attention for exactly the same reason. For some reason you accuse me of relying solely on my opinion, (even when I show you clear positive comments on metacritic) but you're doing exactly that. You don't like the game that you never played past the demo, and are angry that a reviewer should care that the reboot is absolutely nothing like the original in any way, shape, or form. If that's not "important" to the story as a whole, then I don't think you understand what journalism is.

29. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 03:58 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 26, 2017, 10:06:
Fallout was dead. Big budget isometric games are dead. You can spend all your time angry and mourning them, or you can play what's out there and enjoy it for what it is.

So you're saying that games with interesting characters, lore, world-building, fun game mechanics, satisfying puzzles, introduction to new ways to interact in a 3D space, inventive death loops, gravity puzzles, wall-walking, portals, and mind-fuckery turning a rock into a planet to explore is all dead? Says who? you?

"All games are now only about spending 30 minutes scrounging for garbage to fabricate 12 shotgun shells only to never want to use them in a fight while being bored stiff reading office e-mails and exploring nearly identical corridors in a bland spaceship until it ends. ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS, THIS IS ALL WE HAVE NOW."

Give me a break.

28. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 03:45 Slick

Hey, no offence taken boys and girls, your charged responses only serve to validate my opinions.

1) Please watch the short 20-second video I captured in my review demonstrating the abysmal facial animations before claiming that they're "very good". Some of them are decent, others are absolute dogshit.

2) my point about ME:A is all about consistent outrage. Bethesda RPGs have had dogshit facial animations for decades, and I've literally never heard a single reviewer, or user say one word about them. Along comes ME:A and the sky is falling. Then Prey dops a month later and guess what, boom memory erase nobody gives a shit anymore.

Prey 2017 is FAR more RPG than FPS, don't kid yourself. I wasn't lying when I said I hit the quickload button more than the left mouse button. Most of your time is spent looting hundreds or thousands of useless items to use in crafting, spending upgrade points to upgrade pretty extensive (but mostly useless) ability trees, reading e-mails from dead NPCs that you wouldn't care about if they were alive, listening to uninteresting audio logs, and combat takes a back seat to all of that.

Arkane knows how to do this well, the combat in Dishonoured was EXCEPTIONALLY well-done, the way you'd just free-form all over the map, pulling insanely satisfying stunts, and going on 20 kill sprees with glee. Prey 2017 you're quicksaving every 10 seconds in combat, and reloading if you miss one shot with your shotgun because you only have 7 shells left. The combat is dull as fuck, unfulfilling, and the game loop is pretending you're doing a tool-assisted run with savestates, aka boring as fuck.

Compared with Prey 2006 (you know the other game in this IP, which you all seem to think is irrelevant for some reason) had one of the best combat loops I've ever seen, when you died, things only got MORE intense. You were kept in the action, you didn't have to reach for the quickload button, it was more fun and more rewarding to stay glued in the moment and fight through the spirit realm section.

The original Prey did a LOT of A) cool things and B) new things. Just because YOU didn't personally think it was amazing, doesn't give you the right to disregard the cult-like heritage of this franchise.

I have no idea how the 11-year old Prey franchise is Dead, but the 13-year old Half-Life franchise is alive and well and worth defending to the last breath? How in the hell can you keep those two ideas in your head at the same time, just because YOU liked one and not the other that means all the rules are changed? Give me a break.

The show FireFly is dead, it's long dead. It was never that popular compared to Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other space opera sci-fi. But it existed and did some things very well. Do you think it's fine if they reboot the franchise, call it "FireFly" and make it a Victorian-era costume drama with no cowboys, spaceships, aliens, and instead of being action-packed with a consistently engaging storyline, it's replaced with 4-hour episodes of people reading dead characters letters and scrounging for scrap?

How can you defend this barbarism to an established IP, but know damn well that if it was an IP that you PERSONALLY cared about, then you'd be up in arms about it. The hypocrisy is real.

23. Re: Game Reviews May 25, 2017, 19:35 Slick

Hmm, I don't think I was throwing shade anyone's way for not agreeing with my review, everyone has their own opinion. Games are like art, there is no "right" idea.

I just backed my argument up with some basic logic, as apparently now any franchise can dispose of all the mechanics, plot, world, and genre of the other entries in the series, and no one's allowed to even mention it.

Well... unless it's Battlefront which changed slightly from the decade-old (dead IP according to some people on here) cult hit predecessor, in which case it deserves a very loud boycott.

That is until ME:A came around and became the new loudest boycott of recent memory. Because of what exactly? it's so hard to remember what we were all mad at a month ago... oh riiiight, facial animations. Did one person mention the abysmal facial animations in Prey 2017? Nope! just lil' old Slick.

If I had the energy, I'd look back to see how many of you posting in this thread loudly complained about how egregious an offence it was for ME:A to have bad facial animations, but didn't make a peep for this game... I bet it's more than a few of you.

And by the way, the animated dialogue is like a 10-page script in Prey. In ME:A it's literally thousands of pages of dialogue.

How do you expect anyone to take your outrage seriously when it's so inconsistent? And furthermore, most of you completely ignored all of my salient points to just attack Prey 2006 as being a mediocre game, therefore none of my logic applies.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Morning Mobilization May 25, 2017, 11:42 Slick

#1 Star Wars fan  

19. Re: Game Reviews May 25, 2017, 00:54 Slick

I think I'm definitely in the small minority of gamers who actually played Prey 2006, and appreciated all its unique mechanics. Like I said, it was a bit of a cult thing, but then again, you could say the same for Battlefront. I've never played a battlefront game before, but I definitely saw the passionate fanbase it had, however small, make their voices heard incredibly loudly observing the desecration of their cherished IP under DICE's watch.

It's just annoying how there seem to be two standards that gamers adhere to, and they're both mutually exclusive.

One minute they raise pitchforks over one absolutely fundamental element of decency we as gamers should expect, and the next minute when the same scenario happens to a game they don't really care about they openly ridicule people who take the same stand. A little consistency would be nice at the very least.

And TBH, you guys on here are the only one's I've ever known that didn't think Prey 2006 was an iconic game. We all thought that it was the last great SP FPS from the golden era of SP FPS games, a time that has long since past. I think the next year there was CoD 4, and everything after that became totally cookie-cutter. It was the last hurrah for a generation raised on these games, and it did so many things so well, it's a shame to see them gone. So you can bet your ass that we were massively disappointed to see the reboot after 11 years have literally nothing to do with Prey 2006 except, ionno, space?

Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean there aren't people out there who feel this. I'm glad to represent them in my review, but it's kind of sad to see how fast people openly ridicule you for caring about a game franchise because THEY didn't think it was important.

16. Re: Game Reviews May 24, 2017, 21:41 Slick

I'm going to bookmark this thread for the day that Half-Life 3 launches as an HTC Vive VR-only game, and watch people be "totally fine" with Valve turning a cherished IP into a VR wave-shooter. And for this analogy to even work, it would have to be as described above, with no Gordon Freeman, no Alien Combine, no Alyx Vance, no Gravity Gun, no Vortugant, no puzzles, and no motherfucking crowbar.

THEN, and only THEN, will I get to say:

"Whatever man, it's a fun game, just rename it "Generic VR Wave Shooter" and get over it, nobody cares about a name.

13. Re: Game Reviews May 24, 2017, 18:02 Slick

So by your logic then the Half Life IP is also dead? It's been 13 years since HL2. I guess it's dead.

And Prey was absolutely one of the best SP FPS games of all time. Sure that's my opinion, but I can back it up with facts to support my argument.

-Introduced us to Portals before "portal"
-Gravity walkways (walking up walls and on the ceiling, mixed with platforming puzzles)
-Miniaturization turning a small object in a room into an entire planet to explore
-original premise (native American protagonist, discovering at the same time that both aliens and "spiritual mumbo jumbo" are real)
- great level design that had lots of 3D puzzles, very reminiscent of HL2's introduction of physics puzzles
- nifty "spirit walk" mechanic where you leave your body and walk around, passing through certain barriers, finding secrets etc. This one wasn't revolutionary, but worth mentioning.
- arguably the best death mechanic in a videogame. If you don't know about this, you should do some learning. If you think that spamming F5 and F9 is "better" then you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong.

Prey was always more of a cult hit than mainstream, it didn't mean that it's many contributions to defining and influencing the genre didn't happen.

3203 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo