Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3198 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
16. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 3, 2017, 04:02 Slick

I'm glad some people are starting to catch on that Valve's 30% off of GROSS is pretty fucking high for a digital storefront. Their costs are next to zero to pipe the game to you.

If it was %30 off of PROFIT then I'd say that's a far more reasonable figure, it would be hard to argue with that. People just see "30%" and it seems like a reasonable number, but the context is far more insidious.

The devs have to pay their staff, hardware, software licencing, rent an office, keep the lights on, and market their product. So if all of that costs %50 of their gross, valve takes 30%, the devs get 20%. So valve is literally getting more than the devs in the above (I think rather reasonable) scenario.

Which is hilarious because Valve left Vivendi exactly because Vivendi was the 3rd party publisher taking an unfair cut of the profits, Valve said "Hey fucktards! We make the fucking games, we deserve a bigger piece of the pie!" (GabeN has since made it his life's work to eat the whole pie). Although, Vivendi in their *shudder* defence would actually put up venture capital for Valve to make games.

Sorry, let me rewind... Valve used to be a video game company that made video games. I know right! So random.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 3, 2017, 03:53 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 03:25:
it would objectively be ridiculous for Valve to charge that much just to give some company the privilege of selling their product.

$5000 upfront in exchange for 15% instead of 30%? That's a SHIT TON more money for the developer. Even a D-rated indie game if it's half good should be able to generate 2000 sales @ 25$ a pop, that's $50,000.

So 30% of 50,000$ means the devs pocket $35,000. Meanwhile 15% minus $5000 means they'll pocket $37,500. This is basically the mark where the returns start to become favourable to the developer, from there on up the devs get more and more money, and are therefore incentivised to make a proper polished product. And remember even if this is 2 devs in a studio, it probably took them at the VERY least 1 year to create the game, that's $37,500 split 2 ways for a year's work, it's fucking peanuts. I'd make more money working at McDonalds (Canadians have an almost-reasonable $10+ minimum wage)

So with my formula (which I totally made up on the spot, needs to be tweaked, but it gets the general idea I think), Game devs have to aim for at least 2000 sales of a $25 game. Which should absolutely be within the scope of any indie project that's worth publishing.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

12. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 2, 2017, 22:16 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 22:00:
It should be a grand at least to keep the shovelware off. And it shouldn't be recoupable per se, but used toward the 30 points Steam takes on sales - so if you don't forsee the game doing decent sales you'll be wasting your time and money. It won't end the problem but it'd probably make a pretty good dent in it.

30 points on thousands of shovelware releases, quite the vig on that action. It's okay though, it's only Valve's rabidly loyal fanbase that foots the bill getting conned into this garabge.

I don't know how hard it is to make it a $5000 non-recuperable front just to get the process started. And then take 15 points instead of 30. Wouldn't THAT go much further to encourage indie developers to make great games that will make them lots of money, but keep out the scammers? I know there's a better way to do this. Greenlight is a good idea in principle, they really just need to figure out what the fuck they're doing before someone else does it better.

It would seem that an obvious answer is higher costs upfront, but if you succeed, then higher profits. People are encouraged to make shit that lots of people will actually want to buy, ie. 15 points. And big cost up front $5k minimum (not actually that much, even for indie devs) to keep out the scammers who will profit if they only sell 100 copies of their shit before people catch on.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 2, 2017, 19:03 Slick

Wow, that's a premature AMD... Intel notmally does price cuts like that... well never, but when they do it's less than that, and at least a year after launch, not 6 weeks...

They got scared because Intel is teasing some real competition. We can all assume they always had up their sleeves for a time like this, holding out on their customers. Fuck them. Next system I build will be AMD for sure. How long have Intel chips been 4 cores... let's see, since 2006? so 11 years. All of a sudden within 2 months of AMD launching 8-core chips that actually pull their weight, all of a sudden Intel have an 8-core/ flavor that fits right up next to their 7700k series shit.

How long have us PC gamers put up with this nonsense while they pack their dies with iGPUs that no one uses, and no one asked for? They took up over half the die area! WTF!

I mean I'm glad that They finally took their head out of their ass, but this timing makes it pretty obvious that they've been sitting on this for yeaaaaars. How many 3770ks, 4790k, 5770k, 6700k, and 7700ks have they sold that could have been 8-core variants with no iGPU? Give me a break, been milking the PC market like a cow. Well now we have someplace else to shop thankyouverymuch.

5. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 2, 2017, 18:11 Slick

Honestly, if you're trying to run a scam, $100 isn't any barrier for you. Some people spend thousands on making some piece of shit look legit, if they can turn $1000 into $10,000 then it's worth every penny.

And if this $100 is "recuperable" then it's no barrier at all? I guess it depends on how it's recovered. But still, you could make it $2000 recuperate, and any indy studio has that money lying around to you know... get their game published. Think of the costs associated with even indie development, it's more than a couple thousand. And they could get an investor to front that if they're serious.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Jun 2, 2017, 01:39 Slick

Wait, were there television spots for the first fallout games?  

6. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2017, 22:10 Slick

Lol relax.

That was meant to be a cheeky non-political crack at the last thread, nothing more. I didn't honestly go do an entire game review to spite what some random poster said, I've had Tokyo 42 for the better part of a month to play around with. Nor do I really care to bring up a play-by-play of how that last thread devolved into shit.

1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2017, 14:04 Slick

Thanks for the post Blue.

As I mentioned last night, this review is dedicated to whoever said that "isometric games are dead" in my last review thread xD

News Comments > Tokyo 42 Released
2. Re: Tokyo 42 Released May 31, 2017, 22:36 Slick

Shameless plug time!

I want to dedicate this review to whoever used the argument "Isometric games are dead" in my previous review thread

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released
15. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released May 31, 2017, 03:17 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on May 30, 2017, 23:19:
Slick wrote on May 30, 2017, 22:52:
The Half Elf wrote on May 30, 2017, 22:41:
No no no... you finish the OTHER games, send me the Vive, and I'll review Bridge Crew for you with mrgrosser, and then send it back in a month (no sweat stains I swear!)

Oh, there's no possible way to get rid of the sweat with this contraption. I'm thinking of figuring out a USB-powered fan that I can just glue to the front of the HMD.

I looked into replacement foam padding, and there's one company that was making them wrapped in pleather, so they don't get soaked with sweat. Good idea right? WRONG. Apparently, since the sweat has nowhere to do it just rolls into the Vive headset and started shorting out the electronics LOL.

Wanna bet?

You sly devil you.

Now all I need is to graft a mini fridge onto my backpack VR PC so I can keep a few of those on rotation, and BAM. VR is so easy.

I showed pics of those backpack VR PCs to a friend of mine, he thought I was trolling him for like 30 minutes. "It's an April fools joke dude, you're just really gullible, no one would make that".

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
10. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 31, 2017, 03:12 Slick

Forbes assessment of GabeN's net worth

Notice how there are years of no changes, and then a huge jump? Yeah, being a private company means you don't have to disclose shiiiiiit. These are just some tidbits that Forbes has been able to add up, it's far from the complete picture.

But whatever, in Trump's America, billionaires are the new working-class everyday honest joe six-packs. They're just like you and me! Remember Mitt Romney eating "grits" for the first time? Man, it's like those northern elite plutocrats are just like y'all, yee haw!

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
8. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 31, 2017, 03:06 Slick

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2017, 01:12:
Creston wrote on May 30, 2017, 22:40:
It's a shame they only make like five billion dollars a year off Steam, otherwise they might have been able to afford just transferring the data over to their new site, rather than deleting all of it.

But that would seem like customer service, and apparently Gabe & Co are deathly fucking allergic to that concept.

After all Valve operates on a shoestring budget.

That seems to be the case. Come on now, you don't get to be a trillionaire by writing cheques!

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

A decent article detailing a couple specific practises, by no means an exhaustive account.

7. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released May 30, 2017, 22:52 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on May 30, 2017, 22:41:
No no no... you finish the OTHER games, send me the Vive, and I'll review Bridge Crew for you with mrgrosser, and then send it back in a month (no sweat stains I swear!)

Oh, there's no possible way to get rid of the sweat with this contraption. I'm thinking of figuring out a USB-powered fan that I can just glue to the front of the HMD.

I looked into replacement foam padding, and there's one company that was making them wrapped in pleather, so they don't get soaked with sweat. Good idea right? WRONG. Apparently, since the sweat has nowhere to do it just rolls into the Vive headset and started shorting out the electronics LOL.

2. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released May 30, 2017, 22:36 Slick

This is on my review list, got to finish Tokyo 42 for tomorrow first, then Rick and Morty VR. I've been putting off the VR stuff to wait until I get thing nifty thingie:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552002329/revolve-for-vive/

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 30, 2017, 13:30 Slick

So more efficient cooling would be great, but that's really up to the laptop manufacturer in the end. And new VRMS is ACTUALLY probably the only thing on the list that will do anything. Laptops absolutely need to focus on the power delivery, as they're often the things that overheat first and throttle the whole system.

I've modded my dell laptop to have thermal pads make contact with the chokes and mosfets, just touching the bottom of the case shell, and it makes a noticeable improvement, not sure why manufacturers have been ignoring this shit for decades, while enthusiasts have been solving it for just as long.

All in all, this is pretty non-news news. Was hoping for some Volta action.

53. Re: Game Reviews May 29, 2017, 13:12 Slick

Dacote wrote on May 29, 2017, 09:24:
Quboid wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:45:
As I said before, you do you. If this is a problem for you, you're right to put that in your review and I don't think anyone should have a problem with that - but people will be surprised.
How dare you tell somebody that they are free to do as they please with their own work. This is the most blatant trolling I have ever seen. TROLL ALERT /s
Next thing you will say is that you support him in his endeavors, that will really stir him up. not /s

Oh sick burn.

You people seem to be grasping at straws here... and again conveniently ignoring the part of Quboid's comment that I was actually quoting.

When I form a solid logical argument, I get "no one cares", brilliant riposte.

How is anyone supposed to take the commentary seriously when it reads: "reviewers don't care that it has the same name as some random game from a decade ago"

Some random game from a decade ago.

Right.

I can only imagine the death threats this guy would have received if he said that about the new Battlefront LOL.

50. Re: Game Reviews May 29, 2017, 00:38 Slick

Quboid wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:45:
Slick wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:10:
Anyone care to explain the hypocrisy? Are you even capable of understanding it?

Because nobody cares.

Reviewers don't mark it down because reviewers don't care that it has the same name as some random game from a decade ago

You're trolling at this point.

48. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 23:10 Slick

Oh this thread was dead days ago, how dare you revive it!

1) Battlefront II comes out in 2005

2) DICE's Battlefront comes out in 2015, 10 years later

3) Not only is it considered "okay" to compare the new game to the old, you become HIGHLY SUSPECT if you don't. Forums erupt in a rage as the word of a boycott spreads through every online gaming community. Before the game is even released the majority of people on THIS FORUM claim that DICE murdered Battlefront "This isn't Battlefront" etc. etc. etc. Even though for the most part, both old and new games share many similarities.

4) Prey comes out in 2006

5) Prey comes out in 2017, 11 years later

6) The new game is absolutely nothing like the old, no one bats an eyelash, let alone erupts in the furious chanting of boycotts. And now you're HIGHLY SUSPECT if you actually mention how this new game has almost NOTHING to do with the original IP.

Anyone care to explain the hypocrisy? Are you even capable of understanding it?

This comment was edited on May 29, 2017, 00:51.

46. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 22:12 Slick

Dacote wrote on May 28, 2017, 21:42:
This keeps coming to mind Slick in his formative years.

Oh yeah, that's totally me. :-eyeroll-:

Don't think I've even insinuated that.

It would seem that the shoe is on the other foot, as I'm the one being split open like a blooming onion because I don't like what you like. I'm rather comfortable with my opinion, and I own it. You seem like you're bursting at the seams because someone doesn't like what you like.

I used my shitty little soapbox to express my own opinion, and because it doesn't match the opinion of "you people" on here, then I've been lambasted for my own views. At no point did I ever say fuck you for liking it, in fact, I've said on multiple occasions that art is subjective, and to each their own. I don't know how much more plutonic I could possibly be.

Face it, your beef is that I don't share your opinion. And for some reason not judging a game in a bubble as if it's NOT the long-awaited continuation of the franchise has put me on your shit list. Stop acting like talking about the franchise history is somehow "unfair". Give me a break.

Tell that to all of you who shrieked about how the new Battlefront was such garbage that it deserved a boycott, as they ruined the IP from what it was all about. Again, square that circle for me, and you'll have a shadow of a point. Until then, you're playing both sides of the issue, and have zero credibility in doing so.

And for you trainspotters, Battlefront II was released in 2005, so by your standards that IP was one year deader than Prey 2006. Still, it seemed fair game for to say the sky is falling because you had to pick up a powerup to get in an x-wing, in what was still absolutely the same genre, same lore, same vehicles, same massive PvP gameplay as it's predecessor.

Now tapdance around this point, tap my pretties, tap!

43. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 19:09 Slick

SlimRam wrote on May 27, 2017, 23:47:
snip

I've played Prey 2017, and Prey 2006. I don't think you've done either, so I don't feel that it's fruitful to continue this dialogue when you have no experience for your arguments. No offence. I played them, I provided my opinions, you didn't play them and are mad at my (at the very least, informed) opinions. Just because there's (very) occasional shooting from a first-person perspective doesn't make it a First Person Shooter. Having some comic relief after half the cast dies in a Shakespearian play does not a comedy make.

Your sample sizes are "your friends" never bought or played Prey 2006, so it doesn't matter. So desecrating an IP is only problematic if your friends have fond memories of it? Come now. Since small sample sizes are scientific now, I'll submit that 2 out of 3 user comments on my site were favourable to my review, saying they loved Prey 2006, and that this 2017 "remake" is dogshit and cut everything good from the IP. So 66%, not too bad. It looks like a clear majority of people agree with me, I win!

You see how dumb the "since a few people validate my opinion that makes it undeniably true" argument is?

My perspective provided context by educating people who didn't play Prey 2006 as to what was cut from the franchise. You know, as I've stated here before, I never played the original Battlefront games. When the reboot was coming around, everyone was bitching that they desecrated the franchise and that there should be a boycott. Now, as a gamer, I would have appreciated reading a review that actually took the time to inform me of what the franchise was about, and how it changed. That information only helps me as a consumer understand the direction that the franchise is going. I would have been very happy to read about exactly what was changed. To this day, I still can't tell you exactly what changed, only that powerups for vehicles make people rage. I might not have agreed with the reviewer as to whether the changes were good or bad, but at least I'd be a more educated consumer in the process.

So what is the issue with me doing it? It's the same thing. Just because the game was a mediocre clone of a totally different franchise, doesn't mean I can't also express disdain for the butchering of the IP.

IMO saying something like: "This isn't like Prey 2006 at all, it's a totally different product, ANYWAYS" and doing a totally compartmentalised review is lazy hack journalism. Nothing exists in a bubble. That's my point of view.

3198 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo