Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3576 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
44. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 19:37 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 19:30:
I wonder if RT will be like PhysX: a cool gimmick, but hardly essential.

People are already calling it "PhysX 2.0"

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 18:18 Slick

theglaze wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 18:14:
Slick wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:38:
For anyone who missed it... THIS is the only reason

Yes, that is cool... but I dont play BF in slow-mo looking at puddles!

And me being slightly competitive in FPS games, all of that extra movement from reflections will have a direct impact on the ability/opportunity to spot enemies, so Id probably turn it off in multiplayer

It was slo-mo with very slow pans IMO to mask the fact that it was running at 20 FPS.

And raytracing could actually give you an advantage when it comes to seeing enemies. If one's creeping behind cover beside a shiny car, you'd see movement where they would see nothing.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

38. Re: Game Reviews Aug 20, 2018, 18:12 Slick

There will be a scattering of AAA titles that will use RTX, just like we've already seen with their insidious GameWorks platform, same shit.

If it doesn't totally flop, then developers will take an interest when developing for the next-gen console, which could use the Microsoft DX Ray Tracing plug-in API thingy.

And in Battlefield I run mostly on low, but some things help, higher meshes help, higher AA helps, and honestly if it came as ZERO performance cost, raytracing could give you more awareness of what's going on, but at a severe "visual clutter" cost. So who knows...

And then there's the fact that they aren't supporting HDMI 2.1, so playing any nice-looking singleplayer game on a nice 120hz 4k HDR TV with raytracing is out of the question.

33. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 17:09 Slick

Guys, you know what I mean... not a real boycott, but you'd think we'd see more chatter on the web about how fucked up that presentation was.

They LITERALLY said what the pricing structure was, on a giant screen to 300k people watching on the stream. And then one hour later their own store topped it by $200 USD. Only then did the other retailers start advertising their prices, all of which were higher than the one nVidia set.

How is this not a giant "fuck you"? Gamers get angry at the dumbest shit, why isn't this worthy of a little well-intended rage? The presentation was 99% smoke, mirrors, and a SHIT TON of misdirection. I can only imagine if a hardware company everyone hated had pulled the same thing...

32. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 17:06 Slick

Alamar wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:49:
Why the fuck isn't there a boycott?

Why would there be a boycott? If you don't feel it is worth the $$$'s don't buy it. The premium they are charging, for me it better be 50% better vs last gen on standard games. Right now Ray Tracing needs to be an added bonus, since it will be a while for support and that is if it sticks.

Well... There was that whole false marketing on memory a few years back...

Lol, they obviously don't give 2 fucks this time, because they've bent over backwards to obfuscate any real information. What is a noob consumer to do? "I'm gonna sue nVidia because my 2070 isn't 6x faster than a 1080 Ti". "Well timmy, it is if you count our WTFLOPS metric. In fact it has 300 times more WTFLOPS than a 1080 Ti! Thanks for your money sheep! Enjoy dropping $1900 on a product you know nothing about."

29. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 17:03 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:49:
Why the fuck isn't there a boycott?

Why would there be a boycott? If you don't feel it is worth the $$$'s don't buy it. The premium they are charging, for me it better be 50% better vs last gen on standard games. Right now Ray Tracing needs to be an added bonus, since it will be a while for support and that is if it sticks.

The final sticker price is the weakest reason to boycott, I was mostly referring to the other shady shit that went on in that presentation as I've already mentioned. That was the biggest misdirection reveal I've ever seen.

They announced a price, then immediately set the bar $200 USD higher, WITHIN AN HOUR of the global announcement, then all other retailers followed suit. They also gave zero real-world performance metrics, benchmarks, apples-to-apples comparisons. They made up a new metric to clock their performance at which nobody uses, and nobody even knows what it means (76 terafucks! WOW! NUMBERS!). They are purposefully obfuscating real benchmarks why only comparing ray-tracing performance, and then in their marketing materials claiming that this gen is 6 times more powerful! Read the forums, people are honestly saying that the 2070 will be 6x faster than a 1080 Ti.

If that isn't enough to have consumers up in arms, I honestly don't know what would. The $1900 CAD for a consumer GPU is just icing on the cake.

24. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 16:38 Slick

For anyone who missed it... THIS is the only reason why anyone would get excited about these new cards. The BFV demo walkthrough is EXTREMELY impressive.

But no clock speeds, no benchmarks, ZERO apples-to-apples comparisons, shady "we're measuring in a new way that no one else does!" shit, Bait-and-switch pricing scheme, and the price for the flagship Ti is $1900 CAD after tax.

Why the fuck isn't there a boycott? Are people really that impressed by all the duplicitous nonsense on-stage? 6x the performance of a 1080ti!? the only head-to-head from 20 to 10 series was with raytracing ON. And a $2000 consumer GPU? Are they out of their fucking minds? Who the fuck is buying this shit!? Why would you enable this nonsense??

23. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 16:27 Slick

Cram wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:21:
Slick wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:14:
US pre-orders for 3rd party cards have been up for a little bit now, most are sold out. All for $1200+ for the Ti across the board. Without any benchmarks, or even so much as knowing what the fucking core frequency will be... blood in the water, they don't give a fuck. It's been so long since the last gen people will buy it regardless.

Now they've proven that they'll sell @ $1200 for a Ti minimum, that's the baseline. $999 is a fucking dream. And that USD, I can't wait to see the $1600-$1700 Canadian variants.

This is a shit show, too bad, cause the BFV demo walkthrough looked incredible

Memoryexpress is taking preorders in Canada, and yep the Asus 2080TI is preorder of $1650, reg 2080's around $1150; still looking over other models.

LOL

And that $1649 Asus Ti isn't even the Strix... jsut a dual-fan.

22. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 16:23 Slick

OMG I found the Canada prices JEEEEEEEEEEEESUS

Here's some more, these prices are here to stay. motherfuck.

19. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 16:14 Slick

US pre-orders for 3rd party cards have been up for a little bit now, most are sold out. All for $1200+ for the Ti across the board. Without any benchmarks, or even so much as knowing what the fucking core frequency will be... blood in the water, they don't give a fuck. It's been so long since the last gen people will buy it regardless.

Now they've proven that they'll sell @ $1200 for a Ti minimum, that's the baseline. $999 is a fucking dream. And that USD, I can't wait to see the $1600-$1700 Canadian variants.

This is a shit show, too bad, cause the BFV demo walkthrough looked incredible

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 15:54 Slick

Damn, these prices are fucking high.

For anyone with more money than sense, and living in the US, Newegg has just put up a ton of preorders for this shit. Some are still "in-stock". But goddamn, people are buying at this inflated price when we all JUST saw the fucking presentation with lower prices... I guess that was fleeting, they smell blood in the water... it's feeding time! Who needs clock speeds or benchmarks... JACK THEM PRICES!

Haven't found anything for the Canadians yet

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 14:27 Slick

So the "founders edition" looks decent, reminds me of the EVGA design. But still no word on what is meant by "max overclocks". We didn't get any numbers about that today :/

Still, they're shipping the same day they're appearing on shelves, so I'd probably wait to get a 3rd party one, just because I'm inherently sceptical about their founders shit. But that might not be the best play this round, especially if you wanna make sure you get a card on time.

Let's see some fucking benchmarks!

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 14:16 Slick

Someone screen-capped the BFV talkthrough demo that I found to be genuinely impressive, IMO it's the only real highlight that matters from today's event.

Check it out here, the audio got fucked a bit, I'm sure there will be a better version cut later, but for now this is as good as it gets.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 14:10 Slick

Gotta love the obfuscation of "real" performance by "redefining how we measure". 72 TF of RTX-OPS! lol. SO MANY NUMBERS!

At least they're not pushing it out the door today, looking forward to some real benchmarks...

Also, from a competitive gamer perspective, I'm not gonna enable most of this tech. I like my "fake indoor lights" because then I can SEE EVERYTHING! lol.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 14:07 Slick

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 14:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 13:17:
$600 bones for a 2070, that'll sell a shit ton of 1080's.

Those were incorrect, btw. $499 for the 2070.

We'll see what the street price is. They said that the Ti is $999, but supposedly pre-orders off the nvidia site are going for $1199 USD. I'd confirm, but I can't find it *shrug*

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 13:50 Slick

Okay, they're doing the BFV RTX demo now... fuck. I might have to buy this shit.

Super impressive.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 13:34 Slick

They just showed the new tomb raider with ray tracing.

Technically it's very impressive, visually it's a VERY minor quality improvement. This is either because this tech was "tacked on" very late in development, or because there simply isn't enough juice when already running a AAA game. Probably a bit of both, but I'm hoping more the former.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:25 Slick

"Every spec leaked to the web, is wrong"  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:20 Slick

For anyone trainspotting the nVidia event, looks like the pre-game faff is starting to subside, the real show should be starting momentarily.

*yup just started

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:16 Slick

Saboth wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 09:51:
I usually don't upgrade unless I can get about a 80-90% increase. I've got a 1070, so looks like I'd have to do a 2080 TI, so I'll probably wait until the next gen. Seems like the 10 series has been around forever.

I'm in the same boat, but I have a 1080. It's going to be doubtful that a 2080ti will be enough of a leap...

Really I just want something to power the upcoming 1440p 240hz monitors (which might be announced today?).

Although for the games I play, I'm worried that I'll be CPU bottlenecked on my 4790k, as frostbite games don't often go above 150 fps @ 1440p

9900k, 2080ti, whole new build, new monitor... this is all sounding prohibitively expensive, starting to doubt this plan...

3576 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo