Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3198 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
22. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 30, 2017, 06:06 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 04:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 22:54:
I'm just not going to believe that the cancelled one, was the good one. Just assume it was like the rest or worse.

From what I've read it sounded like there was a huge brain drain at Visceral after EA forced them to make the Battlefield Hardline cops vs robbers game, they didn't want to make it and it destroyed moral.

They ended up pouring too much time into making trailers and tech demos and couldn't get animation systems to work the way they wanted. It didn't sound like there was much sharing of code between Battlefront and the game Viscreal was working on.

DICE raised the bar for graphics extremely high with their photographic modeling in their latest games. If you aren't capable of adapting to the way assets need to be generated you might really struggle to keep your job.

I think Visceral bit off more than they could chew.

Frostbite is a bitch to work with, it's not like UE that is built from the ground-up to be user-friendly. Lots of EA studios had a hard time adapting.

Plus with the secretive nature of the code, they aren't letting enough people really come to grips with it. There's no way to "train" yourself to be good at working with it unless you already are working on a game that's using it.

So yeah, a bitch to work with, but without question the best engine on the market (ie. best looking vs best performance), nothing else comes close, and if they do it's only on one of these 2 areas.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans
10. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 06:03 Slick

Gunplay's good, but the endgame (and midgame) is just boring as fuck if you aren't playing with friends.

I set my party privacy to "open" and never once did random strangers just spawn during a mission I was doing. You have to set all of that up yourself, and you can assume that even if you know 50 people playing the game, none of them will have to do the exact mission you're about to embark on. So the friend will have to be nice and just re-do a mission they've already done, or you'll be playing most of the content in this game by yourself.

It wasn't like this in D1 on PS4, I don't know how they fucked it up on PC so badly.

OH and there's no fucking ALL chat, even in the social areas! WTF! You can't even get a pick-up group started if you wanted to by just talking to people.

It's okay though, the first paid DLC is out in a week, that will make sure that anyone who doesn't buy it is gimped with their gear, enjoy the grind!

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
69. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 30, 2017, 04:08 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:36:
CJ, so your grand contribution to the discourse is literally:

"All post-launch content is cancer"

Wow. Ace contributor.

It is cancer. UT3 shipped with 8 modes, a couple dozen maps, no progression system, no season pass, no DLC, and no MTs. A year later, Epic released 15 more maps free.

That's how it's done.

You make no sense.

You just said they released 15 maps a year later.

But you double-down that "all post-launch content is cancer"

Make up your mind!

Words have meanings you know.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
46. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 30, 2017, 00:13 Slick

theglaze wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:44:
Valve doesn't pump out a new TF2 or CSGO every year

EA wants full game price sales plus DLC plus microstransactions... and they want to sell you the same shit again and again, year after year.

It's called greed, and +4 billion dollars in annual revenue.

*added* without making games, and just taking a skim from everyone else

I fixed it for you.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 29, 2017, 11:16 Slick

What the fuck is Endgadget doing posting that nonsense?

Fucking obscurantists... aren't they a fucking tech blog?

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
5. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 11:05 Slick

All of this mess would have been avoided entirely if they just waited 2 months after launch to open the paid shop.

You know, just like BF1 did, BF4, and BF3. And nobody gave a flying fuck about those games doing the exact same thing. Never heard it mentioned once, and it's been going on for 6 years. They charged money to immediately unlock in-game items without having to grind for them, this isn't a new system.

The only problem was that they tried to do it at launch.

As for the "random" aspect, ask anyone that's actually playing the game, everyone just grinds Hero crates (cheapest crates) to get the cheapest scrap possible, then unlock whatever you want.

I don't know a single person that's actually received anything they've wanted in a crate. There's 300 cards, and most people are only trying to get 10-15 specific ones. And even if you do get one you want, it'll be a common, which you could have just bought for 40 scrap, which is less than the average scrap (42.5) you get in a single Hero crate.

60. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 Slick

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:28:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 05:13:
Finally, W3 locked content behind a season pass, that's the point. There's no maps, heroes, weapons etc that are hidden behind a paywall with SWBFII.

You also seem to forget that CDPR did like SIXTEEN free DLCs for the Witcher 3. With weapons, skins etc.

But yeah, how dare they make fun at EA's expense when EA finds itself in a shitstorm of its own making.

I think it's just in bad taste, as they charged money for post-launch expansion packs. The very thing that the SWBFII model is trying to circumvent.

And for the last time, I'm not defending how poorly they executed this, but I would argue that there's a real nugget of something good in this idea.

For multiplayer games in particular, expansion packs/season passes/DLC map packs = divide the community and basically force you to drop another $30-$50 just to be able to play with the rest of the player base.

That needs to change.

Does a single other person in this thread agree with this point? Cause it's the only point I've been trying to make.

*note, do you see how I clearly illustrated my point at least 5 times in this thread? that's how it's done CJ. saying "everything is cancer" isn't a point, it's just noises.*

58. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 Slick

CJ, so your grand contribution to the discourse is literally:

"All post-launch content is cancer"

Wow. Ace contributor.

54. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:22 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:13:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:51:
CJ_Parker white-knighting the practice of community-dividing, pocketbook-lightening season pass DLC.

Now I've seen everything.

Full retard confirmed. Which part of "fucking shitty season pass" or calling it "dog shit" was unclear? In which world is calling something fucking shitty or dog shit somehow "white-knighting"?

Are you fucking insane?

lol.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT.

What is your solution oh brilliant well-spoken intelligent one? dog shit or cat shit? brilliant.

See how I'm trying to have a real conversation, and you're just sputtering noises?

Try forming an original thought first, then I'll bother engaging you.

Try tackling the obvious problem of how season passes mean that if you don't pay an additional $50 ontop of the $60 base game, then you're just left behind, and the player numbers for servers you can play in plummet.

TRY.

I DOUBLE DOG SHIT DARE YOU.

Try to make a real point.

49. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 09:51 Slick

CJ_Parker white-knighting the practice of community-dividing, pocketbook-lightening season pass DLC.

Now I've seen everything.

Do you understand that if players want post-launch content, then the publisher will find a way to make money off of it, they're not a charity. For the 50th time... it's all in HOW they do that.

If you REALLY think that a $50 season pass that permanently divides the playerbase is the BEST way to go about this, then you've drank the kool-aid.

I never said that MTXes was the best way, but I'd rather have that if it means A) it doesn't fuck the experience for the "normal" player. and B) it means that ALL players get access to ALL DLC free-of-charge.

How can you not understand this basic point? Is biting my head off for being an "EA shill" just too tempting? Does it overwhelm any lingering sense of logic you might still have?

45. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 08:12 Slick

re: eRaser

well Dragon Age and Mass Effect are both Bioware Edmonton, which is still thriving. Personally, I can do with "only" 3 entries in a series. Not every IP needs to be endlessly sequel'd for infinity like FIFA. I thought that was something that people were arguing against in this very thread?

I highly doubt that EA is done with fantasy or sci-fi RPGs, they know there's a big market for them. And I'm looking forward to some new IPs from any developer for these titles. Honestly the next Elder Scrolls game will sell a billion copies, but will probably use the same shit engine, and will have all the same problems... Bethesda really needs to inject some fucking money into that franchise if they're going to keep milking it into the 7th entry into the series. They need a "FF VII" moment where they take their franchise seriously and give it a real budget, with a real engine.

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 08:07 Slick

re: Pepe

Of course W3 gave you good content for your money. I'm not debating that. Infact most people on here usually just get mad whenever you mention a season pass or DLC in general. It's usually my line that I'm saying that expansion packs have existed forever.

But with MULTIPLAYER games, season passes are a double-edged sword. Even if the content is good and worth the money, it splits the online community. It kills off vanilla servers, and no one plays a DLC pack that launched 3 packs ago, most people only play the most current DLC maps.

THIS is the problem that I'd love to see solved. And the only way to do it is give all DLC maps away to all players, so you have a lasting playerbase that always has access to all maps. It really has to happen sooner or later.

42. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 07:47 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 06:50:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:40:
Oh, how I remember like it was yesterday when the most recent SimCity came out, and how the doomsayers were proclaiming it was the end of EA. When will they ever learn?

Name a new IP developed by EA in 30 seconds, good luck.

Anthem. Took about 3 seconds. I'm sure there's more if you're not thinking about only AAA games.

38. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 05:13 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 05:04:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 01:54:
I think it's funny how prestigious studios like CD Projekt Red snipe EA with that cunty tweet saying: "We'll leave greed to others" while The Witcher 3 released with 2 $30 DLC content packs.

The whole thing is such a mess.

EA fucked up the implementation, but I still think the overall strategy is a direction that the industry needs to go, ESPECIALLY for multiplayer games. I can't be dealing with segmenting the community 2 months after launch based on who bought the season pass or not.

For all the shitstorm furore that the piss poor progression implementation wrought, people have lost track of the one actually redeeming feature of this model. NO SEASON PASS.
Difference with W3:
1. They sold two packs for a total of $60. SWBF2 MTs come to $2590.

2. They sold DLC straight up, not part of a random gambling system.

Oh come on, that $2590 is ludicrous. You don't need a Purple tier version of each of the 300 starcards. Why not calculate how much it would cost directly buying WoW gold from farmers to get EVERY top piece of loot IN THE GAME. It's a dumb argument. And yes, MMOs are different from shooters, but the WoW equivalent would cost over $100,000.

Next, I can earn a Blue (tier 3) version of any card with about 3-4 hours grind. I never have to spend a penny on lootcrates with Fiat.

Finally, W3 locked content behind a season pass, that's the point. There's no maps, heroes, weapons etc that are hidden behind a paywall with SWBFII. Anyone who buys the base version of the game has access to all of that, and with a bit of grind can get tier 3 versions of any starcard they'd ever want to use. THIS is the gem buried in all the shit, and is worth recognizing.

SP games are different from MP games. I just mean that any real comparison should be against a game that truly gave away ALL post-launch content for free without MTX, like Titanfall 2. FEW games have ever done this. They ALL want ways to monitize post-launch content, this isn't news. HOW they go about it is what's up for debate. MY point is that getting rid of the season pass, and giving all post-launch content to all players who bought the base game is a GOOD thing for gamers IF they can figure out how to do it right, it's clear that they haven't figured out how to do it right yet.

Also, if lootcrates are gambling, then go after Magic: The Gathering. Random "roll the die" luck and chance mechanics have existed in videogames since Dungeons and Dragons 40 years ago.

35. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 04:57 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 04:48:
I think it's funny how prestigious studios like CD Projekt Red snipe EA with that cunty tweet saying: "We'll leave greed to others" while The Witcher 3 released with 2 $30 DLC content packs.

EA fucked up the implementation, but I still think the overall strategy is a direction that the industry needs to go, ESPECIALLY for multiplayer games. I can't be dealing with segmenting the community 2 months after launch based on who bought the season pass or not.

For all the shitstorm furore that the piss poor progression implementation wrought, people have lost track of the one actually redeeming feature of this model. NO SEASON PASS.
Problem is, if your monetization scheme makes the game no fun to play, what is the point?

Of course, I've never debated that the implementation of this system is broken.

I'm just saying that the underlying philosophy underneath it is actually pro-gamer. Once they fix the progression and make it fun (right now people are just AFKing cause they can make more points that way, destroying games for people who actually want to play, AKA BROOOOKEN), then as a gamer I'll be a lot happier without a season pass designed to split the community, and pry another $50 from my wallet.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2017, 03:49 Slick

I like how this thread has now 4 comments, but anything Battlefront-related gets dozens.

If only angry gamers knew how to focus their rage to actually do some good.

Glad I don't live in the US anymore, but just like with Trump you guys won't realise what you've done until it's far too late. Good luck yanks, you're going to need it.

/cynical

31. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 03:38 Slick

Did I ever say EA was more generous? What the fuck are you talking about? Can you even read?

"With the entire internet against them..." Right, how dare I try to talk sense when I'd be in better company if I just let my irrational emotions overcome all logic.

I'd say you should re-read my original comment that you purposefully misquoted, but I doubt you can even read.

You know what? don't bother.

Ignored.

29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 02:51 Slick

Dacron wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 02:44:

Ya, damn CD Projekt Red and their greed.

LOL.

You're fucking delusional. Glad I dropped you from Origin.

That obviously wasn't my point.

I never said they were greedy, I was pointing out the hypocrisy about bitching about MTXs while they were charging $30 a pop for their DLC. Meanwhile SWBFII is giving all DLC maps away for free.

If you can't understand the irony about this, then you're not thinking clearly. If the argument doesn't further the narrative that EA is Evil, and everything else is saintly, then it literally can't penetrate your brain.

*I also like how you purposefully removed the other 2 parts of my quote which put my argument into context. Can't have an honest conversation with anyone these days...

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2017, 03:25.

27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 02:19 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 02:00:

Kind of difficult to see the value in trading the season pass for a MT system (not splitting the community aside). They could release as little content as the extra last jedi map and the completion of the single player campaign and call it good.

But that's not what's happening, they have supposedly at least 7 seasons of content planned. Data-miners have already uncovered skins, new heroes, and maps.

25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 01:54 Slick

3198 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo