Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3611 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month
4. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month Jan 12, 2018, 02:46 Slick

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHH, one of the best FF games EVER.

FFXV was also great, and the PC port for that looks FANTABULOUS.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Announced
6. Re: AMD on Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on AMD Jan 11, 2018, 02:12 Slick

So are these guys on a 12-month release schedule now?  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
45. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 00:19 Slick

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:38:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

LawBreakers had one bit of originality that should have given it a stable audience, the fact that every class had different mobility. To hardcore competitive FPS fans this was really cool.

ESPECIALLY considering the rehash garbage that Quake Champions is.

Still, who can be that surprised that hardcore competitive twitch arena shooters aren't selling millions of copies anymore... I think after UT3 the trend had taken form, and has yet to be bucked.

News Comments > Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment?
4. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 19:05 Slick

I don't think they're bad at game design, they're REALLY good at slotmachine design.

Activision is second only to the mobile market (Didn't Acti buy Candy Crush? lol)when it comes to extensively researched peer-reviewed theories of human addictive behaviour, and how to wield it in their games.

I imagine that the first couple kills your visual cortex is a lot more likely to pick up the accumulated glimmer, but once a large fight breaks out you're not looking at the item pickup log, you're focused on the fight, and you're trained to think that the rewards are still coming, even when they've totally dried up.

Pretty ingenious Acti. If your game had more than a 4v4 PvP mode I'd put up with all of this shit. But other than artificial incentives to return, I have no "fun" incentive.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 17:29 Slick

Internet fake-news trolls are taking over the free world.

People are rightly outraged but I've seen very little in the discussion on how to actually win this fight. "better training" isn't going to cut it, there were multiple levels of failure here.

I think we need an AI that can have a hope in hell of tackling this problem, I don't know anything else that has a chance. If you think that you need "human eyes" on a problem to solve it... well, ask the cop in this case.

And now might be the time to start talking about the nature of an AI like this, long before it's a reality. Because it will be a reality one day, probably sooner than most think, and we don't want to let the important ethical questions sneak up on us without proper reflection.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
32. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 17:05 Slick

I think the TD:DR is:

"Why do we think that %100 anon speech is somehow protected? Especially when it can be used to great societal harm? How can we ever combat this?"

31. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 17:00 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 13:30:
Tracking people's online usage to be able to ban a person from the internet effectively opens up a whole new can of 1984 worms. If you think that is a good idea I would assume that you simply have not thought of the broader consequences of such a system.

Oh I have, I'm just starting to think that the means might justify the ends.

IMO if the "system" can learn to compromise so that stupid shit we hide because it's illegal, say smoking weed etc. became legal, if there were progressive laws so that no one had anything to hide that was reasonable, then would we really need to hide them from an AI?

The older I get, the more I'm coming around to the idea, it's the only logical way to combat certain kinds of shit in this world. The alternative is to say we will forever keep the gates open to this shit.

I know it's Orwellian, but I live in Montreal. The cops here don't care about people smoking weed, fuck they don't even care about weed dealers it seems like. I've seen dial-a-weed delivery guys just openly break out a bunch of product while parked on St Catherine, the busiest, most commercially dense street in the city, with no hesitation. It's not that they're stupid, it's that the cops genuinely don't give a fuck. Same reason the openly-advertised rub-and-tug parlours have NEVER been raided even once in this city's history.

See to me, this is the "benevolant big brother", if we had more laws that put this kind of shit into effect, then would I really care if an AI tracked my movements online with the ACTUAL intent of only catching terrorists? That's a concession I would make. A human would never see my shit unless an AI already had a credible case to make that a human needed to review my file.

Maybe it could never happen in the USA because there's too much embedded mistrust of your government, but it might be able to work elsewhere. Can you imagine a world where an agency is ACTUALLY only trying to prevent horrific shit, and GENUINELY doesn't care about whatever day-to-day stuff you get up to? I feel that most people just have a mental block that such a scenario even possible, and will always be impossible, the government will always try to fuck you somehow.

I mean, how else are we going to combat this stuff in the future? There are SOOOOOO many ways to get away with this stuff now, like everyone has access to their own enigma device with What's App and Signal already... So how can we fight it? logically? It seems that the only reasonable answer is that we just have to live with these anomalies in the system, that we will never be able to get rid of them, because that's the price of freedom. So how many more innocent people have to die until we start dreaming of a solution?

For the record, I have no idea that my idea would work, but in this climate, it seems like a better idea than having trolls literally run the free fucking world with their fingers on the nukes.

23. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 09:02 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 07:35:
Slick wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 05:51:
A guy who will willingly and repeatedly put innocent people's life in the balance for "the lulz" was arrested in 2015 for the same shit, and yet in 2017 here we are... But if he was doing drugs without harming anyone else he'd probably still be locked up.

America, we need to talk about your priorities...

And this guy REALLY needs to be made an example of. You'd think that setting precedent would be in the interest of everyone, even from a beancounters' POV, misuse/waste of public resources etc. Let alone the, you know, moral reasons not to have this shit happen.

The internet should be managed (come on NSA, PRISM etc.) like a videogame, if you become too toxic, you're banned. No reason this douche should have even had access to the internet 2 years after pulling the same shit.

Thing is, it's so easy to get on the internet unless you're in a controlled environment like prison. And controlling people's access on a per person basis is a huge legislative and infrastructure issue. There are also massive free speech and privacy issues. These kinds of abuses are the price we sometimes have to pay for freedom.

I don't disagree that it would be difficult, however...

The idea that taking away his freedom to be online is infringing his free speech is ridiculous. If the law can jail you, they already have the ability to take away your freedom.

I just think that with AI getting better and better, and with teh NSA's existant extensive spying apparatus, it's not impossible to monitor someone from going online.

Really I think that the anonymous nature of the internet is just responsible for soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much shit in the world right now, that if it was required to log in with your secure credentials to identify you then overnight so much shit would be dealt with. I know this sounds draconian, but there's nowhere else in life where anonymity is guaranteed. And if people were forced to interact with one another the same way they'd do in-person, the world would be a much different place.

Freedom of speech is not equavalent with freedom of anonymous speech.

I know this isn't well thought out, but it's where my heart is right now reading this news... and well all other news for the last few years.

It also can't be a unilateral disarming... it would have to be all or nothing. As anyone still anonymous could just further harass all of the cleartext people on the internet with ease, and without repurcussion.

This isn't a solution we could implement tomorrow, or maybe not even in the next 100 years, but maybe one day it will be possible, and it might be something we'll all agree is in our best interests, if we last that long to see it.

The troll movement is responsible for Trump (Breitbart was directly influenced by gaming troll tactics), and possibly WW3. I wonder how important being anon online is for everyone when faced with these very real consequences.

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 05:51 Slick

A guy who will willingly and repeatedly put innocent people's life in the balance for "the lulz" was arrested in 2015 for the same shit, and yet in 2017 here we are... But if he was doing drugs without harming anyone else he'd probably still be locked up.

America, we need to talk about your priorities...

And this guy REALLY needs to be made an example of. You'd think that setting precedent would be in the interest of everyone, even from a beancounters' POV, misuse/waste of public resources etc. Let alone the, you know, moral reasons not to have this shit happen.

The internet should be managed (come on NSA, PRISM etc.) like a videogame, if you become too toxic, you're banned. No reason this douche should have even had access to the internet 2 years after pulling the same shit.

News Comments > Free Overwatch Loot Boxes
10. Re: Free Overwatch Loot Boxes Dec 27, 2017, 06:14 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 20:08:
Slick wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 18:38:
opie wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 17:32:
is it just me, or is overwatch no longer fun? I play for like half a match, then get the strong feeling of "I don't want to play this anymore...".

I can't be bothered to reinstall it just to get crates, I know i'd just open them then uninstall. I lasted longer with it than Team Fortress 2, but it's the same shit. Sometimes I just want a reliable gun that can shoot people.

Weird comparison and final sentence considering that Overwatch does not feature game affecting items like TF2.

I was replying as to weather the game feels fun anymore. Comparing OW to TF2 is a stretch for you? OW is a TW2 rip off, an entirely fair comparison.

As for my final sentence, I don't know how better to express myself. If you didn't get the sentiment then we're just on different pages.

7. Re: Free Overwatch Loot Boxes Dec 26, 2017, 18:38 Slick

opie wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 17:32:
is it just me, or is overwatch no longer fun? I play for like half a match, then get the strong feeling of "I don't want to play this anymore...".

I can't be bothered to reinstall it just to get crates, I know i'd just open them then uninstall. I lasted longer with it than Team Fortress 2, but it's the same shit. Sometimes I just want a reliable gun that can shoot people.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 26, 2017, 18:34 Slick

I remember when Engadget used to report on electronics.  

4. Re: Free Overwatch Loot Boxes Dec 26, 2017, 16:38 Slick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 15:56:
Just like drug dealers giving out free samples to get people hooked. Scummy business practices are scummy.

?

Wasn't the whole thing about cosmetic lootboxes being the only "acceptable" form of MTX?

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video
24. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Gameplay Video Dec 24, 2017, 21:21 Slick

In theory the way to make a dope ass game would be to target the graphics to something like 5 years in the future, then somehow have enough money (and lack of shareholders barking for a release, kickstarters don't count =p) to keep development strong for those 5 or so years.

Then you'd have a beast of a game that isn't outdated, having to re-integrate new engines like Duke Nukem Forever... going from the Q2 engine, to Unreal, to this to that etc.... over and over.

I couldn't give a fuck if it takes another 10 years to come out. It's an experiment that I'm curious to see what happens when you just put so much time into development. Could be something great, or at least unique.

The ONLY thing that concerns me is the Lumberyard engine's ability to handle multiplayer. Crysis was terribad with handling just 30 people at once without lag-portalling all over the place. I guess ARK uses the same engine for a kinda-mmo experience, but the only time I played it, it was a fucking lag-fest as well. CCCP has put in like 10+ years of work into their network, so that massive space battles can be realised in EvE, and even then it crawls with time dialation. And that game only has to report simple things like ship position, vector, basic actions like an MMO casting spells. With FPS and real-time ship combat, you have to provide much QUICKER and more accurate updates to have any MP experience feel right.

I say all of this without any experience, but that's where my heart is

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 19:49 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 12:25:
Why the International Space Station Is the Single Best Thing Humanity Did.

Pretty sure it's not that. Probably vaccines or something.

Well, I think it's the most undervalued thing humanity dun did.

How blasť are we about this incredible feat of ridiculousness, and chiefly between the USA and Russia of all people. Could be such a beacon of inspiration for humanity... kinda sad.

I guess all you would need to do would be a google trend search between the ISS and the "flat earther" movement to see how fucked we are.

"Best thing humanity DID" could end up being true

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 22, 2017, 00:13 Slick

Starfighter assault in SWBF2 is pretty fun for about 4-5 hours, then it just falls flat. The mechanics are well done, very arcade, but there's not enough depth. I would totally play a dedicated game that really expands on the mechanics, with more players, bigger maps, more depth etc.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2017, 03:19 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:21:
It is polite to say only good things about the dead.

The cardinal is dead. Good.

Mazel Tov

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
24. Re: A.Weishaupt@gmx.at Dec 19, 2017, 05:35 Slick

El Pit wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 03:14:
There is only one way left they can save this: a Dallas cop out. The very final scene of episode IX (after fading to black after whatever stupid final the Mousepire and its servants can come up with) should be Luke waking up in his bed. In the Jedi temple he built and where he is training the new padawans. And then Luke smiles and says: "What a stupid dream". Start the credits.

There, Darth Diznee. This is your final chance to save Star Wars. Do it. Redeem yourself. It would prove that there is still something good in you. Don't let Luke and the fans down now.

I'd love to get your feel for Episode 7 then, if this is how you feel about Episode 8.

I don't really know what all these people thought should have happened that wouldn't have been utter fan service:

- shocking discovery about character's lineage!
- good guys saving the day in predictable way!

etc.

I can't tell you how nice it was to be surprised with parts of EP. 8. It's honestly the closest I'll ever feel to being able to watch the original trilogy for the first time in the theatres, when it was all still so weird, and not adopted into popular culture. Fucking puppet yoda and Ewoks, the dog-person that follows Han around, force choking, all of that nonsense shit that we just take for granted now.

I feel that there's some mystery left in the SW universe that isn't just a stock tale about stock heroes going through the heroic motions to overcome evil.

And I can't see how any of that shit would have made EP 8 in particular a better movie.

The shit people are complaining about is surreal.

The same people who bitched about how EP. 7 was nothing but pure fan-service flashback "member berries" and undiluted nostalgia, EP 8 manages to cut away from all of that shit. But they're even more angry now.

I'd LOVE to hear what EP. 8 SHOULD have been. I've seen a few examples of this, and they're each more boring than the last...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 17:30 Slick

Lol, sueing Amazon because the post sometimes runs a bit slower a week before Xmas.

Fuck right the fuck off.

And trust me, I'm on the front lines with my own Amazon store knowing exactly how fucking retarded that company is, but this is retarded. You can live without a discount waffle iron for another 24 hours.

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
21. No subject Dec 18, 2017, 03:57 Slick

I'm sure a film snob could outdo me here, but I think the central question is "WHO IS REY". Rey and her powers, where she wants to go, discovering her past etc. The 3 act structure I believe revolves around her development.

Act I "Who are you?"- Luke "I'm nobody" - Rey

Act II "Can you tell me who my parents are?" - Rey

Act III "I'm actually nobody, but I'm okay with that, and will forge my own future" -Rey

Something like that.

The Rebels escaping the First Order is just a vehicle for the rest of the development happening. You could fold the central question into what Rey is going to do regarding the First Order, and the Rebellion. Where her allegiances lie, what side she will chose after seeing her hero being a reclusive old bat. Really it's about her self-discovery. But it's very much an inward journey rather than seeing answers outside. And perhaps that is the most important lesson Luke teaches her, about what the Force actually is. It lets her start to use her own confidence to find herself.

Or something, who the fuck knows. Most characters have pretty solid arcs, but even though Rey doesn't really participate in much of the "main" sequence of the Rebels escaping the FO, I think her story is central. Even after losing like 95% of the Resistance, Leia says: "We have everything we need."

OH also, something from the battlefront game, the new SP DLC has you stealing the plans for a Dreadnaught, the first time they're seen. I played it a day before the movie came out, pretty cool. ALSO, they mention a couple times that even though their numbers are thin, they have "friends in the outer rim", which was parroted in the movie at least once, i think twice. So this has to be the main thrust of Ep. IX. To see the good guys come back from near-annihalation with friends will be nice to see. Along with a generous helping of growth and learning from past mistakes. It's almost more of a "Star Trek" message of hope than Star Wars. (runs for hills).

Also, I wasn't feeling GotG2 as much as the original, which was very tight. Still good movies, but the only good development in GotG2 was between the sisters. I somehow didn't care for Star Lord's daddy issues at all.

3611 Comments. 181 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo